Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: MangaHelpers Development Suggestion Thread

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MangaHelpers Development Suggestion Thread

I understand the problem. As it currently is there's no way to give an option to merge a double-post before you reply, as it would sort of defeat the purpose of auto-merging them. If people who only care about post count had that option they would turn it off, leading to abuse.

I'm alright with the idea of reducing the 30-days, but to what? 15 days? 7 days? And even then this wouldn't remedy the issue you have 2beers. When we added the video tags to the forum after upgrading the vBulletin software to v4, it immediately became apparent that the tag would slow browsing down if too many videos were posted, but it seemed worth it to keep it. The spoiler-tag remedy helps, but it isn't convenient obviously. There really isn't any alternative though.

The auto-merge is set up for the busy manga forums, not necessarily for the MZ and less frantic places on the forum. But you can't disable it in one place and enable it in another, at least I know no way of doing so.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The last forum I moderated did not have an auto-merge feature and double posts become a major spam problem. Some people would make multiple posts in the same thread within a matter of minutes, rather than edit, in order to increase post count. This was actually our most frequent problem, it was not unusual for a thread to be bumped four times an hour by the same person. Setting the auto-merge to thirty days makes it harder to pad post count by spamming recently inactive threads. Double posts can be a major problem in smaller forums, by using an auto-merge we have taken away a potential problem and source of confrontation. We have also made it easier to post in a recently inactive thread without fear of breaching internet etiquette.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

That is not the problem, we agree that auto merge is useful especially if it prevents spam. Just that the limit of 30 days is to big. I think reduce it to a few days is enough and it would solve our problem. You don't spam if you write a post per day in a thread, do you ?
    Last edited by k-dom; February 12, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if it is a double post there are notifications, if someone bumped it a thousand times there will be a notification if one is subscribed to the thread. I do not see the problem here, other sites have adapted the auto-merge from MH, as it was one of the earliest to have it. Nice to set the example.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    That is not the problem, we agree that auto merge is useful especially if it prevents spam. Just that the limit of 30 days is to big. I think reduce it to a few days is enough and it would solve our problem. You don't spam if you write a post per day in a thread, do you ?
    I don't think it would really solve the problem 2beers mentioned though. Decreasing it? If we want to arbitrarily do so, fine...but unless it's reduced to a day it wouldn't have much of an effect in my opinion.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Even if it is a double post there are notifications, if someone bumped it a thousand times there will be a notification if one is subscribed to the thread. I do not see the problem here, other sites have adapted the auto-merge from MH, as it was one of the earliest to have it. Nice to set the example.
    I gave an example where it was a problem. Because of the automerge, I couldn't change the title of my post. It was not a big deal but it feels really dissatisfying. It happened too in the 7 seeds thread. I'm the only one to post there so far, so despite the 3 weeks, my last post was automerge even if it had nothing to do with the previous one.

---------- Post added February 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was February 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM ----------

Alphabeta this is for you :-)
    In our manga database (the pages such as this), we have a translation pin which gives the link toward the manga translation ; we have a subject pin, which gives a link toward the forum thread. Why not have an additional pin for review ?
    Since our reviewers are making a great job, i think they deserve it and it can be an easy way to find them.

Kdom who prepare himself for a stupid automerge

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Magma♥ MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Akainu's Avatar
    Country
    Bavaria
    Post Thanks / Like

1) automerge fulfills its purpose since double posts are really a pain and it actually acts as if there is a new post for everyone who is subscribed to a thread, for example me in this case, so I don't quite get the problem here.

2) as for the pin (?) you mean the tabs on top? then yes, it would theoretically be possible to add one for review sections. how the technical side looks though I'm not so sure since it would only apply to a minority of manga, no?

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Alphabeta this is for you :-)
    In our manga database (the pages such as this), we have a translation pin which gives the link toward the manga translation ; we have a subject pin, which gives a link toward the forum thread. Why not have an additional pin for review ?
    Since our reviewers are making a great job, i think they deserve it and it can be an easy way to find them.

Kdom who prepare himself for a stupid automerge
    I support this idea (obviously ). There's a "Latest Translation" pub, why not a "Latest Reviews"?

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Akainu View Post
    2) as for the pin (?) you mean the tabs on top? then yes, it would theoretically be possible to add one for review sections. how the technical side looks though I'm not so sure since it would only apply to a minority of manga, no?
    If I may, there are indeed only a small amount of series having reviews on a stable weekly basis, but a) I and the Reviewer Alliance are personally doing things to change that, b) there are still the manga reviews in the manga review section which can be also added to that section/pin/pub(?).

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Akainu View Post
    1) automerge fulfills its purpose since double posts are really a pain and it actually acts as if there is a new post for everyone who is subscribed to a thread, for example me in this case, so I don't quite get the problem here.
    Except it was not a double post so, once again, i don't see why they must merge. I doubt alphabeta likes my answer to Joseph K.

Quote Quote:
    Yes the tabs. I think you can link to the review forum for the few manga which have one and make a list similar to the translation section for the others.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Except it was not a double post so, once again, i don't see why they must merge. I doubt alphabeta likes my answer to Joseph K.
    There's currently no way to differentiate between what is literally a double post and what can be considered a different topic, other than adjusting the time limit for auto-merge, which doesn't solve the problem. Like I said, there would have to be an option made available to turn off the auto-merge for the user (which I'm unaware of currently). That could still lead to abuse and I don't see the benefits outweighing the negative in any case.

Yes the tabs. I think you can link to the review forum for the few manga which have one and make a list similar to the translation section for the others.
    The idea of adding a Review tab to Database entries in the same way Discussion for the latest chapter has been is not a new one. That's all I'll say for now

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    There's currently no way to differentiate between what is literally a double post and what can be considered a different topic, other than adjusting the time limit for auto-merge, which doesn't solve the problem. Like I said, there would have to be an option made available to turn off the auto-merge for the user (which I'm unaware of currently). That could still lead to abuse and I don't see the benefits outweighing the negative in any case.
    How adjusting the time does not solve the problem ? I'm happy, you're happy since you say you don't care beside the spam thing and it's easy to avoid spam by making a reasonable time limit (2 or 3 days). And people who don't want to make a double post can edit their post quite easily so there is an easy way to make the difference.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

The idea of adding a Review tab to Database entries in the same way Discussion for the latest chapter has been is not a new one. That's all I'll say for now
    I'm interested to know where it was discussed. Was it in this thread ?

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

How adjusting the time does not solve the problem ? I'm happy, you're happy since you say you don't care beside the spam thing and it's easy to avoid spam by making a reasonable time limit (2 or 3 days). And people who don't want to make a double post can edit their post quite easily so there is an easy way to make the difference.
    Editing a post won't notify subscribers of new material that is added, that's the other side of the coin here.

I'm interested to know where it was discussed. Was it in this thread ?
    Not that I'm aware of, but if the idea was mentioned here it's not unique to this thread.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Editing a post won't notify subscribers of new material that is added, that's the other side of the coin here.
    Yes but you don't need to be notified of a double post unless you check the thread every 5 seconds and if your post is so important to people need to be aware of it there is still the auto-merge. In all cases it concerns much less cases than the current configuration. So if the modification is easy to do like it seems to be the case, I really don't understand why it is not feasable.

Quote Quote:
    Not that I'm aware of, but if the idea was mentioned here it's not unique to this thread.
    OK I will try a search, but since it does not work for me, I would have preferred an indication where to search since you seem to be aware of it.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes but you don't need to be notified of a double post unless you check the thread every 5 seconds and if your post is so important to people need to be aware of it there is still the auto-merge. In all cases it concerns much less cases than the current configuration. So if the modification is easy to do like it seems to be the case, I really don't understand why it is not feasable.
    People browse the site differently. Some only use their subscriptions to a thread in the UserCP, some never use the UserCP and only browse the site. Some do both.

I'm not sure whether it's feasible or not, I'm simply saying that I don't know if it's best for the forum. But it's a topic to discuss. Though I'm somewhat afraid that this is simply a matter of personal preference and not about what makes the site easier to use, but I digress.

OK I will try a search, but since it does not work for me, I would have preferred an indication where to search since you seem to be aware of it.
    Search doesn't work for you?

Internal discussions was what I was referring to. The idea has been brought up.

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

People browse the site differently. Some only use their subscriptions to a thread in the UserCP, some never use the UserCP and only browse the site. Some do both.

I'm not sure whether it's feasible or not, I'm simply saying that I don't know if it's best for the forum. But it's a topic to discuss. Though I'm somewhat afraid that this is simply a matter of personal preference and not about what makes the site easier to use, but I digress.
    The auto-merge makes it easier to use in the case of several posts published in a short time of interval. It makes people read it in a single way as a normal post.
    But as soon as several days pass, the auto-merge losts its interest and even becames a nuisance.
    • Only the date of the last post is shown which mean you lose the information for older ones (yes it's written but it's a pain in the ass to get the info compare to a standard post)
    • You merge posts which have no relations with each other most of the time
    • There is only one thank/like button for all the posts
    • You have to search for the new section and reread the old posts
    • You cannot change the post title

Quote Quote:
    Search doesn't work for you?
    Yes I talk about that earlier in this thread. Now I use google to make search on mangahelpers

Quote Quote:
    Internal discussions was what I was referring to. The idea has been brought up.
    OK good to know, you can say that some members support the idea then :-)

New Reply
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast