Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: MangaHelpers Development Suggestion Thread

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MangaHelpers Development Suggestion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Well I think the reason locked threads are locked is so that posts do not get quoted, because locked thread are either locked because they were breaking some rules(flame war, off topic) or the discussion was not suited for the forum, in which case it gets moved.

Getting a feature that will enable to quote locked threads will do more damage than good, if there is quoting going on from every locked thread on the forum it will be a bit chaotic.
    I agree with the part about such a feature possibly being abused, however the part about locked threads isn't entirely true. There are a lot of examples where a thread wasn't locked because of any negative reasons. For example, the LPTPW threads in the FF are locked after they reache 1500 posts. There are a lot of cool posts in those threads so you can hardly say it was locked because it broke any MH rules. Or the example link I showed in my previous post. That's a link to a thread for a finished Joint Review, and once the Joint Review was published the thread lost it's purpose and could be locked to avoid future misunderstandings. As you see, locking a thread is not always caused by flame wars or off-topic discussions.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. I figure that if I really need to quote a post from a locked thread I'll just have to post a link to that post.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

The majority of threads are locked automatically due to the autosplit, we know it's not always because of troublemaker reasons.

There's simply no known way to do it.

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure this is the correct thread for this, but I figured the problem is too small to create a seperate thread so I'll just post it here.

There's a small bug which involves the [USER] tags. The thing is that when you want to highlight a username by making it bold, and add the respective [B] tag, than those tags have to be outside the [USER] tags. If they are inside them, one will receive an error message when clicking on the link.

Here's a demonstration to show what I mean.

alphabeta --------> no bold username, everything works perfectly

[B]alphabeta[/B] ---------> bold username, but because the [B] tags are inside the [USER] tags, the system searches for a member called "<b>alphabeta</b>" and as a result fails to find one.

alphabeta -------> bold username, and everythink works perfectly.

I know this is just a minor issue, but I figured I'd still report it.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

This a non-issue and it's unavoidable. The USER tag uses all data within the tag's margin to search the database for a match, even tags within that. It has to search because the database is sorted by User ID, not Username...this is why we're able to change someone's username without losing their profile information.

Also, the USER tag turns the text into a clickable URL so it already stands out among regular test. Bolding it is sort of redundant.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Could it be possible to suppress the limitation that prevent searching words with less than 3 letters. I understand that it is stupid to search for the but there are words of 3 characters which are not that common... SBS for example
    Last edited by k-dom; May 14, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

7. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Could it be possible to suppress the limitation that prevent searching words with less than 3 letters. I understand that it is stupid to search for the but there are words of 3 characters which are not that common... SBS for example
    It's possible but I'm not sure what effect it would have on the server.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

How about a short stress test? Of course people shouldn't search for words like "the"...
    Firm but Fair

Magma♥ MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Akainu's Avatar
    Country
    Bavaria
    Post Thanks / Like

there are easy methods that don't require any changes. one would be - even though google is not everyones friend - to search for "site:mangahelpers.com/forum SBS" you can exchange SBS with whatever else you'd like to search on MH. also it works with pretty much any other website if you replace the part after "site:"

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    How about a short stress test? Of course people shouldn't search for words like "the"...
    We will ask one of the techs at the next possible moment. They would know if expanding search parameters would add additional stress to the servers or not.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, speaking of searches, I really find searching through the manga database really difficult.

Example, if you try searching for sukitte ii na yo, there are no results. If you search with the alternate english title Say I love you, it will still not display any results. But when I type I love you, then it shows up.

Another example is, Yankee-kun to Megane-chan. When you search it, only chapter releases will show up with the title written as it exactly is on my search. However, some translators may write it as Yanki-kun instead of Yankee. And this shouldn't be a problem because any titles with Megane should show up anyway. However, the manga page from the DB does not show up- and this is what I was looking for, particularly.

I was wondering if the search is sensitive to symbols like - or " which I find quite of a hassle. Besides, when you type any word that might be on the title, it should show up (unlike in the first example), and it should work for Japanes/english titles too. Because it's taxing to know the Jap title, but then I have to search for the english title on some other site just so I can search the DB here, right? (as in Sukitte ii na yo).

And keywords should include anything from all titles (english or japanese)available for that manga.

Global Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member c_k's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If you try to do a search through the search bar on the very top right of the page, the search is EXTREMELY sensitive (to extra spaces, quote marks/lack of quote marks and whatnot) and will only display results if you enter in a search term that contains terms that contain the manga db's main title for a particular manga as a search term. For your example, Say "I love you" - that is the "main" name of the title. Since the main name contains quote marks, if you enter "say I love you" it will not show up b/c it's missing the quotes. However, if you enter "I love you" or [say "I love you"], the title will show up because it contains part of the main title name as it is displayed on MH.

However, if you search through http://mangahelpers.com/manga/search/ (Nav bar: Database > Find Manga), it's a bit better and searches through alternate names, and it doesn't matter if you enter an extra space, unlike the previous method of searching (although if you enter in the wrong punctuation - a period or comma it won't work). If you enter in "sukitte" "say i love you" or "sukitte ii na yo" the manga page will come up. However, if you enter in "sukitte na yo" then you're out of luck.

I hope that helps~ ^^;; Although I know the method of searching does need some changing...
    Last edited by c_k; May 15, 2012 at 01:05 AM.

NJT: "Bullet points are a turn on, just like breasts"

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that it is possible to use google ( i did it when the search didn't work on firefox ) but it is frustrating and it's not an automated reflex. Another annoying search limitation is that when several words are used, it displays the posts which contain any of the word and not all the words

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Question :
    Since we have the automerge feature, why do we still have this limitation :
    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That is for flood prevention. 30 seconds is the amount of time recommended by the creators of the forum software.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Aruba
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I'm new in the forum and I'm trying to read some manga in original language, but I can't find any of my interest..
    I also find this http://mangahelpers.com/m/white-clouds/chapters/ but once I click , there's nothing... no raw, no translation and no scans.... so why the web page advertise this manga, saying me to click here?

New Reply
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast