Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: MangaHelpers Development Suggestion Thread

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MangaHelpers Development Suggestion Thread

In fact, sometime earlier this year the traffic on MH actually increased (njt told me the stats but I forgot the exact numbers)

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

People are not coming on mangahelpers only for the "big 3".

Plus, we have to admit that the "big 3" is not at their top currently.
    Bleach is in an arc giving an HS feeling right just after the Hueco muldo disaster, Naruto is in fan service mode for a very long time now & One piece is not in its best arc as well. Of course, there are lots of people who don't agree with me but it's not like I'm the only one feeling that way either.

At the beginning of the year, there were the very interesting mangahelpers manga awards & there were lots of participants. And I think I never was more active on mangahelpers at that time. This kind of events is helping the site to "live".

Finally, this kind of forums will have a hard time in the few next years due to facebook & twitter "stealing" participants.
    Last edited by zelllogan; July 21, 2011 at 02:40 AM.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah. Facebook is not used for this kinda stuff. And it's better in a forum when you can debate with new people. I don't think social networks like that will steal any of the users.

Even more, I think that the fact that MH is not translating manga anymore helped a lot to discussions in general now that seems to look over all the other sties that does.

I try to read manga and find places to discuss it, but Internet is a hard place. There is many little towns to talk, but MH is maybe the only city around.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Been on certain forums, ups and downs in activity is very normal. The activity would be high when there are lots of interesting things to talk about, and things would be 'silent' when there are no updates or no interesting things to talk about. Especially since some series might be released pretty slow (like, once a month); nothing we can do about it except waiting. And people who are busy with real life: school and work. I also don't think this low activity has anything to do with Facebook or Twitter or other social network sites; the type of discussions you have there is totally different from online forums like this. I enjoy forums much more, but maybe there are people who are not confident of their English or generally don't like posting.

I believe there are lots who come to this place not because of the big 3 series. I have never 'touched' the big 3 forums here myself. I admit that I'm more active on the general section rather than manga and anime section, aside than visiting sections for manga/anime I'm following, but from what I see at those sections, the activity is not that low. But I do enjoy my stay here. Being able to discuss my otaku-ness with other otaku, being able to meet and make new friends; they are all interesting to me. I like MH because of that.

So... For a big site like MH, activity rate like this moment might be considered as low, but I agree with Kaiten that the quality of discussions and posts is what really count. And to me, in addition to that point, how much I feel comfortable and 'at home' because I can meet great friends here. I think that as long as MH doesn't fail to provide those two points, MH would not go down and would always be loved by its visitors and members.

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

General Section, Otaku Cafe, Fun Forum, manhwa and Shounen forums have been as popular as ever this summer. Hopefully seinen, shoujo/josei, and shounen ai manga will follow. The fans are there, maybe someday they will be as vocal as shounen and manhwa fans.

I think zelllogan is right about the big 3, recent events did effect discussion. Fullbringer arc has generally been unpopular, both here and Japan. And the edo tensei arc earlier this year hurt discussion in Naruto. Once the major characters returned, Naruto picked right back up while Bleach has been recovering bit by but recently. mattiaildivino likely had a point too. Summer is always slow, some members go on vacation, fewer people are stuck in front of the computer doing school work all day.
    Last edited by Kaiten; July 21, 2011 at 10:51 AM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happened to MangaHelpers?

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    While that's pretty much all true, let's be honest with ourselves - the overwhelming majority of the people who came here for Raws or Scanlations were leechers and never posted anyway.
    Well, I never really saw how many people actually came to the forums without posting but there is still an overwhelming difference with the amount of people posting now and before. The naruto forum used to have a second discussion thread started every week, there was a time when bleach had a decent 800 and over amount of posts of average and one piece was closely followed by that if not more (just check the old discussion threads). Right now naruto seems to get on average between 500 and 800 posts which is between 3 and 5 times less than before and one piece and bleach barely break the 200 post mark. It does kinda seem like the number of posts is increasing a bit but it is still nowhere even remotely close to what it used to be. On the upside fairy tail seems to be gaining popularity as it is reasonably close to one piece and bleach in terms of amounts of posts.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

All members should be able to see how many replies a thread has. It is in the column just to the right of the thread title. Changes in Big 3 activity are very easy to pin to plot developments by looking at the chapter title and number of replies. Only admin and techs can see forum wide post count, so it is hard to convincingly discuss. I do assure everyone that post count for the entire forum went up after scanlations were removed (June 12, 2010). Posts in Bleach and Naruto declined in 2010 due to plot development, but that was buoyed by increased activity in sections that had historically been marginal.

Naruto discussion actually declined in April 2010, months before scanlations were removed. There is a significant drop off after the Team 7 reunion, when the focus on Sasuke ended. Sasuke is such a polarizing figure that focusing on him exclusively for a year and a half drove discussion to insane levels. It seemed to have peaked with the Hokage summit in late 2009. Activity actually rebounded about a month after scanlations were removed, when the Minato Gaiden began. After that it dropped down again. Some of the recent Naruto focused chapters were the most popular in months. Nothing compared to the Sasuke arcs though. I expect Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan to crash the site

Bleach discussion has been slowed considerably because of the Fullbring arc. The number of posts was more than halved within a few chapters of Deicide ending. Not surprising, reaction in Japan has been horrible too. Bleach has not been polling well with Jump fans over the last few months either. The Fullbring arc began in October, long after scanlations were removed. One Piece has by and large been steady, a few recent arc resulted in a considerable number of additional posts. The resumption of serialization after the time skip resulted in a lot of extra attention. Again, this was late September, months after scanlations were removed.
    Last edited by Kaiten; July 21, 2011 at 04:17 PM.

11. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happened to MangaHelpers?

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, I never really saw how many people actually came to the forums without posting but there is still an overwhelming difference with the amount of people posting now and before. The naruto forum used to have a second discussion thread started every week, there was a time when bleach had a decent 800 and over amount of posts of average and one piece was closely followed by that if not more (just check the old discussion threads). Right now naruto seems to get on average between 500 and 800 posts which is between 3 and 5 times less than before and one piece and bleach barely break the 200 post mark. It does kinda seem like the number of posts is increasing a bit but it is still nowhere even remotely close to what it used to be. On the upside fairy tail seems to be gaining popularity as it is reasonably close to one piece and bleach in terms of amounts of posts.
    Fair enough. All I know is that prior to Raws being removed from the database, the overwhelming majority of traffic was coming from Japan. True, we have some Japanese members, but nowhere near the amount that constituted the amount of bandwidth that was being taken up. MH was linked to all over 2ch back then, mostly because the DLs didn't expire. The site was even mentioned in a Japanese magazine as an easy place to download scans from magazines.

Like Kaiten said, we're not ignorant of the fact that traffic might be down since scanlations were removed, but posting has always been in flux, scanlations or not.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece will get again more posts when this arcs ends and the adventure on the surface continues. Right now most of readers feel uneasy about this arc, being either the plot itself or the enemies presented. I think this maybe the most divided on opinions arc OP has got. Even more than Skypea, when posts were somewhat similar.

Still, don't measure the posts of the forums because We mods delete a bit much :P
    Last edited by Uriel; August 12, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

O.K. Here's my suggestion. What about a...

Spoiler show

It's main purpose is obvious. People who have done something extraordinary will get their memory saved for ages. You could note down not only certain people, but even certain events. Like the scav hunt, or things like that.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Having a place to record members who have on art contests, scavenger hunts, or other site sponsored contests is not a bad idea.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

And would work very well as an archive. I support that idea.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a good idea, and already having a built-in mechanism of thanks/like statistics, maybe that could be expanded?...

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

And it will have another nice side-effect as well. More people will start doing these very extraordinary things, because they want to mentioned in this Hall of Fame. This should only be a plus of the community of MH in general.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

The downside is that you'd have to be somewhat strict about this and let people know that spamming or bad behavior is not a way to make it into Hall of Fames. Having things like "most likes" and "most thanks" would be a bad idea IMO as people tend to like or thank posts that agrees with them rather than whether it's good or not.

Another problem is selecting a person, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. If more than two or three people agree on someone entering Hall of Fame, then that person deserves it. If one person only pushes for that, then the person most likely doesn't deserve it.

New Reply
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast