Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: MangaHelpers Development Suggestion Thread

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MangaHelpers Development Suggestion Thread

Art and reviews should be on the hall of fame...But posts, I doubt.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

2. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

We think every post is the best post at Mangahelpers and would never single out what anyone has to say. A hall of fame would not include posts.

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Bugzee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Liking the new main menu at the top of the page. Just noticed. xD

Nice fix. :3

6. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I still think it needs something to stand up, honestly. But oh well, I barely use that feature to actually make a good feedback.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing as the higher-ups decided to give MH's Reviewers a little more spotlight (Revamped Manga Review Forum and etc), my next suggestion won't look that much out of context.

What I suggest is to create a Reviewer Section. Nothing more, nothing less. However, I'm not saying this just because I'm someone who wants to get some glory. I can explain why I want such a section. Translators have their own forum where they discuss their translator-problems, like how to translate a certain phrase or word. Scanlators do the same thing, in their section. Artists publish their works in the Art-Section. Even proofreaders have their own HQ. And you can hardly think of any topics that proofreaders can discuss. They're proofreaders. They either write a word right or not. There isn't any place to create threads to discuss how a word is written. However there is a section for them.

But Reviewers don't have anything. Aside a place to publish their Reviews, that is. But what my point is, that we Reviewers, too, need a place where we can gather and discuss certain things. e.g. the newly founded "Reviewer Alliance" and future Joint Reviews. That's not all. Such a Reviewer section, will give us Reviewers a platform, where we can not only meet amongst ourselves, but also teach other people how to write Reviews.

One conter-argument may be, that there aren't enough reviewers on MH to create such a section, but the point is, that there never will be enough reviewers if such a section won't be created. If a reviewer is alone, the chances of him quitting are higher, then if there was a place, where he could meet other reviewers, who could give him some feedback about his reviews, what would then again give him the reason to continue doing reviews.
    Last edited by alphabeta; September 02, 2011 at 09:11 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Reviewers are welcome to post unfinished reviews in the proofing area should they want fellow reviewers to proof read there work, provide feedback, or ask for advice. I would caution about providing unsolicited advice, but there is nothing wrong with using the proofing area when seeking advice from fellow reviewers.

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Reviewers are welcome to post unfinished reviews in the proofing area should they want fellow reviewers to proof read there work, provide feedback, or ask for advice. I would caution about providing unsolicited advice, but there is nothing wrong with using the proofing area when seeking advice from fellow reviewers.
    First of all, the proofing area is used for Manga Reviews. Not Chapter one's. There's a major difference between those two.

Second, even if we were to choose the "proofing area" as the reviewers' HQ, I can't see how it should be used as one. What about all those threads with tutorials for beginning reviewers? What about all those threads where reviewers discuss their "making of xxx's review"? I thought I explained what I meant as under a Reviewer Section quite well in my previous post.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we could try to merge the idea of Proofing Area and Reviewer HQ. Changing the name and slowly introducing the usage of that section to the members and other reviewers perhaps could help. If you worry about the difference of manga reviews and chapter reviews, maybe we can use prefixes or even put a different sub-section. For easier organization, maybe we can add members who are going to be reviewers into a group who yet have the title of reviewers but can access the reviewers HQ, in which they can get advice and ideas to improve their works.

Bottom line, I don't think Proofing Area and Reviewers HQ need to be separated. It sounds redundant to have two separate sections which can actually be used for the same purpose.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Not only that, but I think that someone who does a Chapter Review also will do a Manga Review at some point or viceversa. Prefixes should work fine, I support phio's suggestion.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you don't understand what I mean by Reviewers HQ. That place is supposed to work as a platform, where Reviewers can meet and discuss their specific reviewer problems, like the format of a review or tutorials for beginning reviewers. The proofreading area on the other hand is there to discuss the actual reviews.

Another reason why I want to see a Reviewers HQ is because I feel that the way things are now, every reviewer is pretty much on his own. There isn't a "sense of unity" between all reviewers here on MH. This Reviewer HQ might actually have more of an psychological effect, then a practical one, even though the practical one is without doubt a serious one as well.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I do get what you were trying to say, alpha. My suggestion was to merge your idea with the current Proofing Area we have. I thought that having one section for proofreading and one section for sharing review tutorials or get input for certain reviewing problem is somehow quite redundant. What your Reviewers HQ and Proofing Area would like to provide is basically the same, which is to help members and reviewers to make a better review. That is why I suggested put both ideas in one section. If you insist, perhaps we can make a sub-section separately for proofreading, but that can be decided later, I guess.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The proofing area can be used for chapter reviews. If anyone wanted to post a chapter review for proofing I am sure any benelori, a global, or an admin would be happy to move it to the appropriate forum when needed.

I am not sure what type of tutorials would be necessary for reviews other than creative writing and critical reading tips. I dare say composing tutorials for writing would require an expertise beyond fluency. Understanding of the English language as a professional discipline would be required. I certainly would not be qualified to instruct others on how write, though I might be talented enough to help others improve their reading comprehension skills.

A well written review must take a critical stance, should be as objective as possible, and be long enough to provide detailed information to the audience. Beyond that there is no proper format for a review. The writer has license to compose their review in as creative a manner as they see fit. The purpose of the revamp was to allow reviewers greater freedom, without the straight jacket of a single format or subject. We provided templates in order to give a little structure to those who desire. They are not iron clad rules, so long as the review is sufficiently long, sufficiently informative, takes a critical stance, and is as objective as possible Mangahelpers has no desire to tell members how they should compose their reviews. If anyone wished to provide additional templates I suggest Pm'ing benelori the completed template to him and asking his thoughts about the template and if he likes it, where it should be posted. Another sub-forum will not be necessary though, not at this time.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no need for a separate platform when there is this thread
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...ussion-and-Q-A

Seeing that there is no activity there...so I suggest that the discussions of various problems should take place there...

So maybe, if there is a need to debate this problem, debate general reviewing vs chapter reviewing etc...I invite everybody there

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

What about a not-reviewer-eccentric-suggestion once in a while?

My point is. What I think MH lacks, and what definetelly could ease the use of the forums would be the function to save your posts before publishing them. There are tons of cases, where this function could be used, starting from cases where large posts are made (e.g. Reviews, News and just large posts in the disscussion/spoiler threads) and ending with a possibility to auto-save the post if the user doesn't writes anything new.

I mean, how many cases were there where people started making a large post, then something happened (e.g. browser shuts down) and everything is lost? I wouldn't be surprised if the "" smiley was added only for this very occasion.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
    What about a not-reviewer-eccentric-suggestion once in a while?

My point is. What I think MH lacks, and what definetelly could ease the use of the forums would be the function to save your posts before publishing them. There are tons of cases, where this function could be used, starting from cases where large posts are made (e.g. Reviews, News and just large posts in the disscussion/spoiler threads) and ending with a possibility to auto-save the post if the user doesn't writes anything new.

I mean, how many cases were there where people started making a large post, then something happened (e.g. browser shuts down) and everything is lost? I wouldn't be surprised if the "" smiley was added only for this very occasion.
    That would require a plugin (which may or may not be free), if such an option exists at all. It's a better question for our Techs.

New Reply
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast