Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 597 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Illegal Rare by Shiibashi Hiroshi

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

WSJ Pirate Illegal Rare by Shiibashi Hiroshi

Illegal Rare
    By : Shibashi Hiroshi
    Serialized in : Weekly Shounen Jump
    Genre : Fantasy & Mystery
    Synopsis :

Supernatural creatures live alongside humans, but these "rares" are being hunted to extinction over time. An organization is being formed to protect these rares, and allow them to live their lives as they like. The starting members of this organization are few; there's the masked Fukumen, the Black Vampyr king AxL, and they are soon joined by the sweet-voiced mermaid Mirror. Together, they will protect the rares from the deadly hunters! made by tethysdust

By the Mangaka of Nuranihyon no Mago

First chapter thanks to Red Hawk Scanlations
    http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader...l_rare/en/0/1/
    Last edited by Doraku; February 25, 2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: reformatting first post

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rica_Patin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Illegal Rare by Shiibashi Hiroshi

I thought it was a good first chapter.
    Still think it's a bit too edgy but it definitely has potential.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Aw man, I really wanted to like it. Like Nensense said, it feels like its being edgy for the sake of being edgy, but not actually being dark in anyway. The art is great, if a bit cluttered. The only interesting character so far is Fukumen. I dunno. It was weird chapter, but I wouldn't mind reading the next couple of chapters to see if it improves to my liking.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Korean Kuroko's Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

Yay this day has finally arrived.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Really good chapter, it showed everything that a first chapter could have: the presentation of the world and the problematic, showed during a case of this problematic. Shiibashi chose the best case ever, there is no other way to show his excellent art than drawing a mermaid (I'm a big fan of mermaids XD), and AXL is awesome along with his power. The system of ranking of the species is easy to understand and it brings many possibilities of creatures, something that can take advantage of Shiibashi's great art, Nurarihyon no Mago showed this with youkais.

Well, it was a chapter with enough explanations, good pacing and excellent art, it looked like a oneshot. Next chapter will be the beginning of the story, truly. I want to see Miria as a better character, not only someone that works in a PR.

Fukumen is the mystery, I think he is a illegal rare, too, but his mask hides his identity.
    Last edited by Leoat12; February 25, 2014 at 08:04 PM.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kidopitz27's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

the first chapter really didn't give me the push i need well it is the first chapter so i will just have to wait for the next one also the guy in my first impression was he looks like Rorschach from watchmen

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

100% sure that Zoro already surpassed mihawk! 10/06/10

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I found most of the story not to be something to really care for at this point in time. It feels like a been there done that type of ordeal. Throwing the Im the last vampire only reinforced these ideas.

I will still continue it, perhaps it will become a lighter and more entertaining affair once the cast forms?

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Nayrael's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

On Chapter 5 RAW (note: can't read Japanese :P):

Spoiler show

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    I will still continue it, perhaps it will become a lighter and more entertaining affair once the cast forms?
    The feel is the same as with NuraMago IMO: there is some gore and dark elements, but generally it is more laid back series (chapter 4 really felt like one of those NuraMago chapters where youkai just got to fool around).
    Last edited by Nayrael; March 08, 2014 at 08:57 AM.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 2 is out

The fun is just beginning... The unit is just starting its job; the tension really rose in the end of this chapter with the introduction of the dark pawn, who is the same character of the oneshot Shiibashi made, by the way. Axl is the type of character who is fucking awesome since the beginning, has the strongest power (or one of the strongest) and doesn't deny that, always calm and reliable, no wonder why Fukumen rely on him that much, despite of some flaws. XD
    After know that Gargo was a werewolf I understood why he didn't want to get Marble and sell it despite of his subordinates wishes, because he knows how the rares are treated and everything got clear when he met with Axl and confused him with a hunter, although there is no reason for this. He has traumas, like any other rare and seems a really hard guy to convince. Let's see what Axl will do about this. Seemed like he could win that battle easily, but he found better not caught Gargo against his will. Gargo is not that strong, by what Axl said. Looking forward to see a clash between Axl and Medici to save Gargo.
    Last edited by Leoat12; March 09, 2014 at 12:15 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, for a story taking place in AD 564, their technology is super advanced. Look at all the computers and printers they have at their work desks, not to mention the mobile touchscreen devices Axl and Fukumen were using and the jumbotrons across the city.

For the time the story took place to have been stated impromptu in the middle of this chapter, it really makes me wonder if this is a sign of Shiibashi's lack of planning. If so, I'm going to be a bit worried, because I think his storytelling ability quite sophisticated otherwise.

I mean, in terms of story structure, I'm finding Illegal Rare very similar to Kurokuroku, except Illegal Rare is much better. Both series have the main character stumbling across a level-minded deuteragonist and looking to get a job from them at a secret government agency protecting the fragile existence of monsters, but it's not all it turns out to be, so they have emotions to go through.

But whereas Kurokuroku tried to go for a stereotypical wimpy "OMGWTF y0k@1 everywhere!" thought process of the main character that doesn't amount to anything relevant or entertaining, Axl's emotions and even his life actually tie in with his job. I think this chapter demonstrates that example, having to struggle even with his own kind to protect them. That is, despite werewolves and vampires being enemies, they're ultimately both Rares in danger of being hunted down.

It's funny, because I originally read Kurokuroku thinking it'd be remotely similar to Nurarihyon no Mago. The presence of yokai? Yes. Storytelling ability? Heck no.
    Last edited by FanOfAniManga; March 09, 2014 at 01:35 AM.
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rica_Patin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm seriously enjoying this series.
    Reminds me a of a more grounded Medaka Box but in a fantasy setting.
    I was seriously worrying the series would be some crappy grimdark edgy battle manga, but I was happy that the four chapters out right now are embracing a lot of comedy with for the most-part standalone chapters.
    I'm really hoping that this (along with iShoujo) don't get axed.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler: Chapter 2 show

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FanOfAniManga View Post
    For the time the story took place to have been stated impromptu in the middle of this chapter, it really makes me wonder if this is a sign of Shiibashi's lack of planning. If so, I'm going to be a bit worried, because I think his storytelling ability quite sophisticated otherwise.
    I don't think it is a failure of narrative, this resource of narrative (put the date along with the place) is often used. He just emphasized the year, making me think that it can be important at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayrael View Post
    [spoiler="Chapter 2"]- lol at humans not being aware that it is wrong to hunt Rares ^^;
    It shows how far the civilization went. The unit of protection is really necessary.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The 2nd chapter could have been something other than werewolf vampire thing, worst it was a weak story and though comical a bit uninteresting. It feels like this story this chapter ought to have spanned more than one chapter.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    The 2nd chapter could have been something other than werewolf vampire thing, worst it was a weak story and though comical a bit uninteresting. It feels like this story this chapter ought to have spanned more than one chapter.
    It ain't a Werewolf Vs. Vampire thingy, the current bounty just gets to be a Werewolf and Hiroshi made a reference on the stereotype.
    Also, the Werewolf arc lasts two chapters so it doesn't span only one chapter. I am not sure where you even got that idea seeing as the chapter made it pretty clear that dealing with the Werewolf is not over yet and that he should soon end in trouble.
    Last edited by Nayrael; March 09, 2014 at 09:03 AM.

20. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast