Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 76

Thread: Technique vs. Technique

  1. #31
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    Oh, obviously I agree that Tezuka can break Hecatoncheires if Niou's illusion can, and I agree that Kagerou Zutsumi would be a better way to try to defeat TPhantom. But the comparison was just TPhantom v Hecatoncheires.

    Also, I feel kind of dumb, but GUYU? What is that an abbreviation for?

    I think the main reason that the OP pit these two against each other is because they have the same final effect (forcing an error). But you are right in that they don't really match up against each other, but if they did, I think Hecatoncheires would make it in, but would no longer really be Hecatoncheires. It would just be a normal shot, maybe with a slightly above average backspin, but nothing to cause an error.

  2. #32
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    Quote Originally Posted by FujiNumberOne View Post
    Oh, obviously I agree that Tezuka can break Hecatoncheires if Niou's illusion can, and I agree that Kagerou Zutsumi would be a better way to try to defeat TPhantom. But the comparison was just TPhantom v Hecatoncheires.

    Also, I feel kind of dumb, but GUYU? What is that an abbreviation for?

    I think the main reason that the OP pit these two against each other is because they have the same final effect (forcing an error). But you are right in that they don't really match up against each other, but if they did, I think Hecatoncheires would make it in, but would no longer really be Hecatoncheires. It would just be a normal shot, maybe with a slightly above average backspin, but nothing to cause an error.
    Gen'U Yume Utsutsu is the only thing that makes Yamato worth anything.

    The manga itself says that Yamato sucks
    on more than one occasion, but in order to provide a way for Tezuka to gain PoP, Yamato gets an epic bro moment.

    Maybe Hecatoncheires makes it in, maybe it doesn't. On JAC, I posted a theory that stated that TPhantom requires the ball to travel a certain distance into the court, be hit with a sufficient amount of speed and force, as well as not be a spin-nullifying return in order to be able to pull the ball out.

    At this point in the manga, TPhantom will never again be used. Tezuka gained the moveable Hyakuren, which surpasses TPhantom, and then PoP, which is obviously better.

    In case you're unaware, Hecatoncheires is technically illegal. You can't carry the ball the way Fuji does for Hecatoncheires. It's just a side point I thought I'd mention.
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; April 24, 2011 at 12:27 AM.

  3. #33
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    Okay, I wasn't thinking about Yamato at all XD

    And I wouldn't necessarily say that Yamato sucks. I mean he was the captain of Seigaku, and was on Court 3. He just kind of keeps his skills on the DL.

    I definitely agree that quite a lot of conditions would have to be met for Tezuka Phantom (or really even Tezuka Zone) to work. In real life, honestly, neither would work. You can only put one type of side spin on the ball obviously, so the opponent would just have to hit it the other way where the side spin wouldn't pull it towards (or in the case of TPhantom, push it away from) Tezuka. But, obviously, we have to suspend belief in actual tennis logic for the manga to work :P

    No doubt we won't see TPhantom ever again. Chances are, since they had Tezuka leaving, we won't be seeing any of Tezuka's unique techniques anymore (except for in some kind of flash to his life like Konomi did when he was in Kyuushuu).

    I was indeed unaware of that. Though, honestly, it wouldn't really matter since it's impossible to carry the ball like that in real life. Unless there was a really coincidental wind blowing, the ball would not stay on the racket when Fuji flips it. And, technically, you wouldn't need to add an insane amount of counter-spin to return it either. Just slicing it would do, because the ball would automatically respond to the spin from your racket, not also keep whatever spin was on it before (except in a case like Tsubame Gaeshi where you ADD spin instead of try to counter it). But, like I said before, you gotta suspend belief in actual tennis logic to go along with what was in the manga.

  4. #34
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    Quote Originally Posted by FujiNumberOne View Post
    Okay, I wasn't thinking about Yamato at all XD

    And I wouldn't necessarily say that Yamato sucks. I mean he was the captain of Seigaku, and was on Court 3. He just kind of keeps his skills on the DL.
    Yamato loses to a young Tezuka as well as to an Atobe who at most only has Insight. GUYU is an impressive technique, but against a player who doesn't play like Tezuka, I question how good it really would be. Obviously GUYU is a good technique, but I'm on the fence about exactly how good.

    Yamato is only a 2 in each of the five categories. Go read the fine print on his stat sheet. It says something along the lines of, "How did someone with such low stats become part of the 3rd Court?"

    Quote Originally Posted by FujiNumberOne View Post
    I definitely agree that quite a lot of conditions would have to be met for Tezuka Phantom (or really even Tezuka Zone) to work. In real life, honestly, neither would work. You can only put one type of side spin on the ball obviously, so the opponent would just have to hit it the other way where the side spin wouldn't pull it towards (or in the case of TPhantom, push it away from) Tezuka. But, obviously, we have to suspend belief in actual tennis logic for the manga to work :P

    No doubt we won't see TPhantom ever again. Chances are, since they had Tezuka leaving, we won't be seeing any of Tezuka's unique techniques anymore (except for in some kind of flash to his life like Konomi did when he was in Kyuushuu).
    We'll see Tezuka again at some point. Maybe in a few years, maybe if and when ShinTeni becomes a weekly serialization in WSJ.

    Quote Originally Posted by FujiNumberOne View Post
    I was indeed unaware of that. Though, honestly, it wouldn't really matter since it's impossible to carry the ball like that in real life. Unless there was a really coincidental wind blowing, the ball would not stay on the racket when Fuji flips it. And, technically, you wouldn't need to add an insane amount of counter-spin to return it either. Just slicing it would do, because the ball would automatically respond to the spin from your racket, not also keep whatever spin was on it before (except in a case like Tsubame Gaeshi where you ADD spin instead of try to counter it). But, like I said before, you gotta suspend belief in actual tennis logic to go along with what was in the manga.
    You can't slide the ball around on the face of your racket, even ignoring the flipping part. Don't forget that Tsubame Gaeshi also doesn't work because you can't have a slice/topspin shot. That's irrelevant though.

    Obviously you need to suspend actual tennis logic, although the manga still does go with the actual rule of being hit by the ball gives the point to the player who hit the other player.

  5. #35
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    Yeah, but Tezuka already had a prototype of PoHW at that point, so that isn't too surprising. And like I said, he just seems the type that doesn't like to show off his skills to everyone, which would explain how he would lose in an unofficial match to Atobe (or was it official? I don't really remember it mentioning them playing, but I just finished re-reading PoT and am now re-reading SPoT, so I should get there soon) and not have high stats.

    Oh my goodness, I really hope SPoT becomes a weekly serialization (and can't wait until it does). Yeah, I do think he'll probably show him across a couple chapters like he did when he was in Kyuushuu.

    Yeah, that makes sense. But again, the slicing across the face would also be impossible unless the ball was going very slow before Fuji hit it. And yeah, I think the concept of Tsubame Gaeshi makes some sense, but the fact that it rolls FORWARD because of some latent topspin or something is bogus.

    Yeah, while the actual tennis moves and stuff are quite insane, the rules presented by Konomi are usually quite accurate (though I remember Inui hitting a shot, them showing the mark, a small portion of it being on the line, and them saying that it was out, so I'm kinda confused about that).

  6. #36
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Fuji Shusuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Country
    Australia
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    Obviously some of you don't play tennis. I do, and making a ball slide across the face of the racquet is accidental and easy if you know how to do it. The racquet is parallel to the ball path which allows it to roll. Also if the ball hits the inner bottom part of the racquet frame it will cause the ball to slide across the face. The hard part of 5th counter is the flipping of the racquet. However if you can do it quickly, accurately and consistently, 5th counter is completely possible.

  7. #37
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    Actually, I do play tennis. Making the ball slide across the racket is close to impossible, especially if you're playing someone who heats decent shots. With the speed of the ball, the instant it hits the racket, it bounces off of it. That's simple physics. The only time I've ever gotten the ball to stay on the racket is when I'm picking it up inbetween points, and even then it doesn't happen every time. If your racket is parallel to the ball path, you're pretty much going to get NOTHING done. You might get a strong spin on the ball, but unless you're right up at the net, it's not going to go past the net. And even then, it still doesn't slide across the face of the racket unless it was going extremely slow.

  8. #38
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Fuji Shusuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Country
    Australia
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    Next discussion:
    Atobe's Atobe Kingdom vs. Pinnacle of Perfection (generally)

  9. #39
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    Hmm, that's a difficult one. We haven't really seen much of Pinnacle of Perfection. But, considering how Ryoma was being absolutely crushed by Yukimura, and PoP got him an easy win, and that with Pinnacle of Perfection, Tezuka seemingly embarrassed Fuji, I would have to say Pinnacle of Perfection. Atobe Kingdom is great, but PoP seems to be unbeatable.

  10. #40
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Country
    Croatia
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Shusuke View Post
    Obviously some of you don't play tennis. I do, and making a ball slide across the face of the racquet is accidental and easy if you know how to do it. The racquet is parallel to the ball path which allows it to roll. Also if the ball hits the inner bottom part of the racquet frame it will cause the ball to slide across the face. The hard part of 5th counter is the flipping of the racquet. However if you can do it quickly, accurately and consistently, 5th counter is completely possible.
    Dude you can't be serious.
    Hitting a ball like that is impossible. (also, even if it would be possible, it's effect would still be void since in real world lobs, heavy-topspin and slice shots would go over the net)

    On topic: it's called Pinnacle of PERFECTION. eod
    Last edited by Veni; May 05, 2011 at 05:23 AM.

  11. #41
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Fuji Shusuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Country
    Australia
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    OK, so Pinnacle of Perfection beats all. What would happen if two people with PoP verse each other in singles?

  12. #42
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,057
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    As TnK releases all of the user's potential (iirc it was described that way), the one with greater potential would win.

  13. #43
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Fuji Shusuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Country
    Australia
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    Let's revive an old thread.
    Next Discussion:
    Sanada's Invade like Fire vs. Fuji's Kirin Otoshi

  14. #44
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    It has been a while...

    I think Kirin Otoshi takes this rather clearly, but Sanada just uses Rai and hits a winner.

  15. #45
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LetalHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Country
    Spain
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Technique vs. Technique

    Fuji can counter Sanada's Ka with Kirin Otoshi, sure, but then Sanada teleports, does Rai and wins.

New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts