Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire - TV Adaption)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Organizized's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Of Thrones

Peter Dinklage won his Emmy! w000000000000t!

---------- Post added October 11, 2011 at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was September 19, 2011 at 05:49 AM ----------

One of the most important castings for season 2 has been made. This woman now holds the fate of my opinion of the show (or great part of it, at least) firmly in her wildling hands. If she screws this up, I'll be so mad.

Well, technically, her most important parts are in season 3, but the above is still true.

2. Like 6 Member(s) likes this post
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that's a good casting looks-wise. Ygritte isn't really described as being super beautiful or anything, compared to some other Wildling women later in the story.

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like a great casting for me. Lookswise quite a good match. Hope her acting is good too, never seen her anything. Though not like much chances, she hasn't had any really significant roles yet.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

My only worry when I read the Ygritte casting news was that she's a bit too pretty... Like you said, in the books she's not really beautiful, it's her exciting personality which
    Spoiler show

I mean, look at her. They'll have to ugly her up if she's gonna fit my mental picture of Ygritte.

---------- Post added October 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was October 16, 2011 at 07:25 PM ----------

On an unrelated note (I didn't find this mentioned in the thread before), I just rewatched season 1 and realized something... In the books, the singer traveling with Cat, Tyrion & co. to the Eyre is introduced as Marillion. The second time watching the series, I looked for him and found the only dude he could be is the dark haired guy with a mustache. I looked him up on imdb and surely enough he was credited as Marillion. However, when watching the last episode of the season, I realized he's in King's Landing, playing the song about the lion and the boar etc, and he gets his tongue cut off. That does happen in the book, except not to him but unnamed singer (iirc).

Here be Storm of Swords/Feast for Crows spoilers.

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Organizized; October 17, 2011 at 06:59 AM.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, noticed that. Well, not too hard to create a new character for that role, if they get that far in the series and follow the books so closely. Of course I would have preferred if they had used Marillion, but A) Audience would have hardly remembered some guy who was once in 2 or 3 episodes of season 1 and had like 2 lines. B) It ain't sure if they same actor would have been avaible when starting to shoot S3.

And I liked the scene. Not only was it amusing in all awkwardness of the situation (and scary towards the end), but further established Joffreys and Cerseis characters, and also set the first glimpse of how Lannister takeover was taken among the common folk. More of which we'll see S2. And they could use Marillion later, he didn't die after all. But not really in the way of the books. They could replace a few singers met in King's Landing with him. Or something. I dunno. Not gonna miss him much.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a million singers that could fill the spot really. They could even create a plothole and it wouldn't really matter much to me. As long as the dude is in the Eyrie long enough everything should be covered.

I think we'll have to accept that with each passing season there's going to be an even larger divergence from the books...it's sort of only natural when exclude so many important characters early on.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Not only the butterfly effect due to excluding characters, but budget problems too. By each book the battles, places and fantasy elements get grander and grander. Or well, Feast might be an expection.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ustegius View Post
    Not only the butterfly effect due to excluding characters, but budget problems too. By each book the battles, places and fantasy elements get grander and grander. Or well, Feast might be an expection.
    They've pretty much conceded that Storm will take up two seasons, so conceivably a fifth season could cover the narrative of both Feast and Dance concurrently like the actual narrative, end at some point and a sixth the same and seventh for the second half of Dance.......I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself though

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had for while the feeling that they will end the series after Storm of Swords. Hoping for it cover the whole saga though, of course.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ustegius View Post
    I have had for while the feeling that they will end the series after Storm of Swords. Hoping for it cover the whole saga though, of course.
    They've alluded to the fact that they'd love to get up to the R** *e****g ...but I got the feeling that comment was meant as a worst case scenario. If the show is still successful there's no way they'd end it after Storm...I don't really see how they could. Show Runners tend to focus at what's allotted to them...of course that makes sense, and that comment about that event by D&D was probably keeping in mind what they envision for the series thus far. I'm not ready to say when they'll end it though, there's too many variables there. As long as they keep attaching good actors and the writing is good they're good to go. The real question is whether HBO is going to let it get past 5 seasons. HBO has the practice of signing the main cast to a 5 year deal. If the show is successful enough they could run into issues after 5 seasons...but maybe the money is less since the seasons are only 10 episodes right now...hmmm.

Spoiler show

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah... A while ago I read that some HBO executive said that the show will go on for as long as GRRM keeps writing. Which, of course, won't happen if the show starts doing worse in the ratings. But even besides that, it sounds like a bold statement.

Time-wise, it should be fine I think. That is if he takes two or three years each to write Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring and considering all books from Storm and onward will get more than one season. If he takes as long to write the last two books as he has with Feast and Dance, the writers will probably have to come up with their own direction to go in... And that's if the ratings don't start to drop on those greedy network executive f...pucks..

I really find HBO to be the best network out there, so I really want to believe that they'll respect the creative vision of the showrunners and producers... But then I remember Deadwood, which got cancelled before its last god damn season for no apparent reason (it wasn't doing that bad). David Milch tried to convince them, and even tried to fund the last season independently because he knew it would be the final season, the ending, the most important part of a story. But nope. Cancelled. Bam.

I don't know where I stand on the whole thing, really. Of course, I hope to see the whole saga of novels adapted, but I don't want the show writers to go in their own direction. As good as some of the added scenes of season 1 were, I'd rather they end the show if it comes to that.

News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Organizized View Post
    I really find HBO to be the best network out there, so I really want to believe that they'll respect the creative vision of the showrunners and producers... But then I remember Deadwood, which got cancelled before its last god damn season for no apparent reason (it wasn't doing that bad). David Milch tried to convince them, and even tried to fund the last season independently because he knew it would be the final season, the ending, the most important part of a story. But nope. Cancelled. Bam.
    Besides the HBO network, what other networks would have been bold enough to broadcast this show?
    STARZ is capable. But Showtime or maybe some random British network?

I want to know of other networks that would be bold enough to release such series in their network.
    True Blood is also on the HBO network as well, right? Maybe HBO is the best.

Anyways, I just took a look at Deadwood, and I don't find it nearly as special as Game of Thrones.
    Deadwood is quite addictive, and it seems very likable. I just don't think it had enough viewers to keep it running to pay for the funds of each episode. ($4.5 Million per episode)

Deadwood had 3 seasons - that's a long time. I believe HBO just got sick of how unbalanced things were concerning the show. It was well produced and well indulged with enough money to make a TV series incredible, it just wasn't advertised enough or viewed by enough viewers to keep the funds on the same plain field. HBO is a business. They can't afford bankruptcy on something that doesn't work no matter how godly a series seems to be. Plus, many fans (including me) learned of the show around the time HBO made their decision to end this amazingly realistic show.
    Last edited by Asahina; October 27, 2011 at 08:31 PM.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asahina View Post
    Besides the HBO network, what other networks would have been bold enough to broadcast this show?
    STARZ is capable. But Showtime or maybe some random British network?

I want to know of other networks that would be bold enough to release such series in their network.
    True Blood is also on the HBO network as well, right? Maybe HBO is the best.

Anyways, I just took a look at Deadwood, and I don't find it nearly as special as Game of Thrones.
    Deadwood is quite addictive, and it seems very likable. I just don't think it had enough viewers to keep it running to pay for the funds of each episode. ($4.5 Million per episode)

Deadwood had 3 seasons - that's a long time. I believe HBO just got sick of how unbalanced things were concerning the show. It was well produced and well indulged with enough money to make a TV series incredible, it just wasn't advertised enough or viewed by enough viewers to keep the funds on the same plain field. HBO is a business. They can't afford bankruptcy on something that doesn't work no matter how godly a series seems to be. Plus, many fans (including me) learned of the show around the time HBO made their decision to end this amazingly realistic show.
    Well, that's the thing. Deadwood did draw enough viewers, quite enough to make the show go around and more. I read that the reason it was cancelled was because HBO prioritized another show of Milch's (the creator of Deadwood), John From Cincinatti and didn't want to pay the Deadwood actors during the time that was being produced. It's bullshit if you ask me, since all they did was pretty much pick the show they wanted to see made (and they picked wrong, since JFC flopped). Never mind the fanbase or the fact that there's only one more season left of Deadwood. That's what ticks me off the most.

And I can't really tell if you're getting me wrong or not... I'm not saying I think HBO is doing a bad job with Game of Thrones or that any other network could pull it off like them. I'm just saying, as much as I enjoy a lot of their shows (seriously, 90% of their stuff is real quality), they're no different from any other company. We're agreeing here. They're a company, and if the ratings drop to a point where they can't fund the show, they have to cancel it. Naturally. That's what I was saying; if the Game of Thrones ratings drop, they won't treat it any special. They can say all they want that "they'll keep making the show as long as George R.R. Martin keeps writing", but they don't even need the ratings to drop to a minimum to have a reason to cancel a show.

Granted, Deadwood didn't have quite the same kind of fanbase that Game of Thrones has. Not nearly big enough, nor as young and internet-based, so HBO probably saw it relatively safe to drop it. If they dropped Game of Thrones, they'd have the shitstorm of the century on their hands.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member cracker's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I finally caught up with the first season of Game of Thrones and all I have to say is...Sean Bean was too good for TV lol

Spoiler show

Not sure if I'll come back for another season since it was interest in Sean Bean's character that had me watch as first, though I might give another chance for Daenerys Targaryen (nice upcoming antagonist) and Jon Snow.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    I finally caught up with the first season of Game of Thrones and all I have to say is...Sean Bean was too good for TV lol

Spoiler show

Not sure if I'll come back for another season since it was interest in Sean Bean's character that had me watch as first, though I might give another chance for Daenerys Targaryen (nice upcoming antagonist) and Jon Snow.
    I love Ned and Sean Bean's portrayal of him, but he's not really high up on my list of favorite characters in the books. You'll have to wait and see if any of the new characters this season strike your fancy

New Reply
Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast