Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply

Thread: how do i rip apart the manga volume book?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

how do i rip apart the manga volume book?

since ive never done it before or anyone on my group we need guidance on how to rip apart the pages from the glued book and scan it successfully. We ordered volume books, volume 2-6 so it wont be in standard magazine format but in glued form i guess. so appreciate any help

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zidane's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how do i rip apart the manga volume book?

Next time use the search function or google, as you can imagine you aren't the only one with that question.
    Anyway, check out this thread:

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1854

Or go straight to these tutorials, posted in that thread above:

Debinding:
    http://hem.bredband.net/pnyxtr/scann...on_debind.html

And even re-binding is possible:
    http://193.170.75.13/~e0225705/rebinding.html
    Last edited by zidane; April 23, 2011 at 08:49 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe because i already did the search before askiong, i dont have iron at all

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zidane's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sasiko View Post
    maybe because i already did the search before askiong, i dont have iron at all
    There are more options, read the thread I linked properly.
    Use a hair-dryer, try cutting or buy an iron, I'm sure you can get a 2nd-hand one for free somewhere, it doesn't have to be the sickest model for 199.99$ or anything.
    Heck, be creative, anything that's getting hot works well to get the glue loose, maybe you have a ceran hob at home? Put a cloth over it to not risk getting glue on it and then hold it there for a few secs until the pages come off easily.

Point is, all the info you need on how it can work is in those tutorials and especially in that thread, now all you have to do is use your brains to make it happen.
    Last edited by zidane; April 26, 2011 at 04:14 AM.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Asclepius's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe the next thing i will post has come to be a possible helpful thing. And i might say that i am laughing at myself. But if 2 of them worked to iron clothes, maybe they will work for manga too.

Well here are 3 other possibilities:

1- A long time ago, i went on a 2 weeks trip and there was no iron around. We heated a very clean pan to iron our clothes. You have to re-heat it sometimes, but it works.

2- That iron used on hair will probably work too, it reaches high temperature, but it needs to be unmounted. Don't break your GF's or sister's or mother's hair-iron.
    Spoiler: Hair iron show

3- Well, the first irons used on clothes were not eletric. They were bigger than male adult shoes and empty inside to put coal. So, if you have an old pan, you can light coal left from some barbecue and put in the pan to heat, then use it as an ancient iron. The pan should have a tight cover to avoid burning the user.
    Spoiler: ancient iron for clothes show

Remember to put a paper to protect the manga if you decide to try any of the above.

Edit: and NO, i have never used any of this methods on books. The best idea is still to buy an iron. Only the iron allows you to adjust the temperature.
    Last edited by Asclepius; April 26, 2011 at 11:24 AM.

Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Name-Undecided's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not that ancient, actually. We have one at home, we call it a "box iron." We almost never use it though, because it's remarkably inefficient.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member [Ju-Ni]Vicissitude's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't care about the spine, you can use a saw. A very fine-toothed saw like a hacksaw will probably be best, as long as you go very slowly to keep the pages from tearing. This method is NOT recommended.

Your best bet is to get an iron. Heat up the spine of the book and every once in a while spread the pages out and fan them a little to help loosen the glue.

In theory, you could probably put them in the oven at VERY low heat. As long as it's below 450, it won't catch fire, but you could start to crinkle the pages from the heat.

New Reply