Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Layla Heartfilia and Dragons

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Layla Heartfilia and Dragons

i didnt see another thread like this so i'm gonna make it ^^

I've always been really curios about this, Mashima mentions Layla in snippets first as Lucy visits her grave the whole dieing in the smae year as the dragons and now we learn she was a mage (although it was obvious lucy had to take from someone and lets face it she's her mother's spitting image) who retired at 16?

weak person? i think not, Killer magic? possible, she's still alive and hiding? maybe, connected to the dragons? its highly likely

So what are our thoughts minna?

EDIT;
    What we know till now;
    the wikia is quite informative but i'd rather go with manga
    http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Layla_Heartfilia

1-Lucy is the spitting image of her mother which might be used (again) in the story
    Older Layla (here she must be in her late 20's); http://www.mangareader.net/135-7183-...hapter-68.html
    Younger Layla (she must have been 16 here 29+7-20 using the chapters logic); http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/223/20

2-Lucy was definitely close to her mum the letters are a proof and the way she speaks on her etc
    http://www.mangareader.net/135-7182-...hapter-67.html
    http://www.mangareader.net/135-7182-...hapter-67.html

3-Layla is 'dead' and the year is suspiciously the same as the year the dragons went awol!
    http://www.mangareader.net/135-7183-...hapter-68.html
    (she was quite young 29 sheesh there must have been something killed most probably :/ could Lucy have forgotten due to shock?)

4-Layla was a (presumably powerful) celestial mage who owned 3 gold keys; Aquarius, Cancer and capricorn and made a pact with them and their new owners and them to protect lucy if she was to become a mage; Reason still unknown, why would Lucy need protection? Ulterior reason or because she's her child?
    http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/224/16

5-Met Lucy's father at love and Lucky guild where they decided on lucy's name (this is after she retired from using magic i doubt her dad knows anything but he might)
    http://www.mangareader.net/135-7245-...apter-130.html

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member saya1987's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Layla Heartfilia and Dragons

Personally, I think layla is either from Quatro Cerberus or a dark guild but I feel that the odds are a dark guild.

She used to be a mage so she should belong to some magic guild. Another interesting thing is how Lucy obtained Aquarius, Cancer and Taurus. The fact that Aquarius and Cancer were given to different owners shows that there are at least 2 other celestial mages besides lucy and they are acquainted with both layla and lucy.
    Assuming the mages who received layla's keys didn't pass the keys to other mages, I would expect them to be powerful, experienced mages. Can't wait for this arc to be over so that Caprico can shred some light onto lucy's past.

Then again, Layla could be from the council. I'm really really intrigued about Layla more than anyone else. I can't wait to see some interaction betwee Aquarius and Layla. Hope there's some!

Custom Title 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darjaille's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if she would be alive, Lucy has, like, 10 zodiac keys, so i don't see her being all powerful (if in a dark guild)

Also, I don't remember properly, but why do you assume that she is not dead?
    Last edited by Darjaille; April 27, 2011 at 10:46 AM.

ex oriente lux

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You misread my post. I didn't state anything about Layla being dead or alive. I said she probably USED TO belong to a guild. However, if you're interested, I personally believe she's dead and I hope that she stays dead unless there'a very good reason.

The no. of keys one has does not equate to how much power a person possesses.

Secondly, everlue and zoldeo had secondary magic besides being celestial mages. Everlue could dig underground while zoldeo could posess humans. Whether or not hades was the one who granted him powers does not matter. This fact alone proves that celestial mages are capable of having secondary magic besides summoning spirits. E.g Lucy could cast spells- unison raid, the spell that she used against angel. Mere coincidence? I think not.
    Last edited by saya1987; April 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM.

Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saya1987 View Post
    Personally, I think layla is either from Quatro Cerberus or a dark guild but I feel that the odds are a dark guild.

She used to be a mage so she should belong to some magic guild. Another interesting thing is how Lucy obtained Aquarius, Cancer and Taurus. The fact that Aquarius and Cancer were given to different owners shows that there are at least 2 other celestial mages besides lucy and they are acquainted with both layla and lucy.
    Assuming the mages who received layla's keys didn't pass the keys to other mages, I would expect them to be powerful, experienced mages. Can't wait for this arc to be over so that Caprico can shred some light onto lucy's past.

Then again, Layla could be from the council. I'm really really intrigued about Layla more than anyone else. I can't wait to see some interaction betwee Aquarius and Layla. Hope there's some!
    layla in a dark guild would be a cool plot but i see it unlikely since she seems such a nice person and lucy really loved her ^^

those other 2 mages yeah they might know something maybe the three spirits will reveal to lucy something that she msut do? or they meet her and talk to her about her destiny?

Aquarius and layla i cant imagine thier relationship haha i really wanna see it

Layla is so mysterious we only know very little and nothing about her personality, she seems though very calm and composed...
    Capricorn has to say something!!!

Quote Quote:
    Even if she would be alive, Lucy has, like, 10 zodiac keys, so i don't see her being all powerful (if in a dark guild)

Also, I don't remember properly, but why do you assume that she is not dead?
    its a possibility since no one ever said i SAW her die maybe she just vanished and told lucy she died, or pretended to die its possible since we have little on her

Quote Quote:
    Secondly, everlue and zoldeo had secondary magic besides being celestial mages. Everlue could dig underground while zoldeo could posess humans. Whether or not hades was the one who granted him powers does not matter. This fact alone proves that celestial mages are capable of having secondary magic besides summoning spirits. E.g Lucy could cast spells- unison raid, the spell that she used against angel. Mere coincidence? I think not.
    Lucy's secondary magic is another mystery she definitely has 'talent' lets say i wonder if like natsu its conditioned by her emotions

urano meteroia was 'given' to her by hibiki but she did perform it so she must be capable of other spells right? i wonder if he has killer magic like ellie her mother seemed a strong person probably took from her and again layla and lucy intrigue me so much!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I forgot to mention another interesting point! In the chapter titled Zoldeo's ambition, Leo stated that Lucy had no idea about Caprico's promise to Layla.

Then, how did Lucy know about Aquarius and Cancer and not Caprico?

Custom Title 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darjaille's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Then, how did Lucy know about Aquarius and Cancer and not Caprico?
    Did Lucy know about Aquarius & Cancer being her mother's former spirits? Maybe she just got them (somehow - the other mages gave it to her, or she found it or whatever ) and didn't know about it.

ex oriente lux

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ca12nag3's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darjaille View Post
    Did Lucy know about Aquarius & Cancer being her mother's former spirits? Maybe she just got them (somehow - the other mages gave it to her, or she found it or whatever ) and didn't know about it.
    I supose both the mages that had Cancer and Aquarius showed up and gave them to her. It might also be that 1 of them tutored Lucy in magic but im sure she does not know about the 3 keys being her true property due to inheritance.

It might also be a reason why Aquarius is not that obedient most likely cause she is anoyed with Lucys lack of ability copared to her mother ( what i think).

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member miramira's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

"It might also be a reason why Aquarius is not that obedient most likely cause she is anoyed with Lucys lack of ability copared to her mother ( what i think" - @ca12nag3

Yeah I agree with that. Notice how Aquarius keeps saying Lucy lacks a lot...and yet we could see a hint that despite her b*tchiness she cares for her somehow. I thought that's because Lucy is her previous owner's only daughter...like the way Cancer dotes on Lucy (styling her hair and treating her like a real princess..haha)

I'm looking forward to know more about Layla...she used to be just "Lucy's mom who died when she was young" ... to "Lucy's mom who died the same year the dragons disappeared".. to "A good celestial spirit mage who was Caricorn, Cancer, and Cancer's previous owner." .. the more we know about her the more interesting she gets.

The possibility that she might be from a dark guild (before retiring as a mage and joining the merchant guild w/ Lucy's dad) is also interesting - it might explain why "she got tired" of being a mage at an apparently young age - one would guess that dark guild jobs are at least 5x more tiring than normal jobs. Also if she is from a dark guild then it means a better chance of her story getting more focus /manga pages right?

Now we don't know if she'll make some comeback like Lisanna or just a mere flashback or what. We don't know if the date of her death being the same as the dragons' disappearance was just a coincidence. My hope is that we get to know more about her soon. Which could guess might happen by the end of this arc if that's what Lucy meant she(Lucy) will have a "special" participation in this arc. Maybe it's relatd to her mum

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miramira View Post
    "It might also be a reason why Aquarius is not that obedient most likely cause she is anoyed with Lucys lack of ability copared to her mother ( what i think" - @ca12nag3

Yeah I agree with that. Notice how Aquarius keeps saying Lucy lacks a lot...and yet we could see a hint that despite her b*tchiness she cares for her somehow. I thought that's because Lucy is her previous owner's only daughter...like the way Cancer dotes on Lucy (styling her hair and treating her like a real princess..haha)

I'm looking forward to know more about Layla...she used to be just "Lucy's mom who died when she was young" ... to "Lucy's mom who died the same year the dragons disappeared".. to "A good celestial spirit mage who was Caricorn, Cancer, and Cancer's previous owner." .. the more we know about her the more interesting she gets.

The possibility that she might be from a dark guild (before retiring as a mage and joining the merchant guild w/ Lucy's dad) is also interesting - it might explain why "she got tired" of being a mage at an apparently young age - one would guess that dark guild jobs are at least 5x more tiring than normal jobs. Also if she is from a dark guild then it means a better chance of her story getting more focus /manga pages right?

Now we don't know if she'll make some comeback like Lisanna or just a mere flashback or what. We don't know if the date of her death being the same as the dragons' disappearance was just a coincidence. My hope is that we get to know more about her soon. Which could guess might happen by the end of this arc if that's what Lucy meant she(Lucy) will have a "special" participation in this arc. Maybe it's relatd to her mum
    she hasnt done anything special yet im really curious of how this will turn out maybe its got something to do with Natsu crying cuz they're like best friends and probably Zeref

i soo agree especially the Aquarius part, they will probably talk to the in the next arc those three, Aquarius is like the annoying angry but deep down loving big sister figure if you notice, Cancer really spoils her even though she somethings says he overdoes it

i think layla may be linked to Zeref if he's got anything to do with the dragons even more, and i think he is a dragon slayer, maybe he killed her or caused her to unintentionally die, maybe she was the one who turned him so tame

wanted to point out also that lucy hasnt seen Zeref yet even though they met him with ultear, she visibly ask surprised if zeref was there
    http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/228/6
    so maybe when they meet somthing surprisig comes up hence the special participation cuz she's linked to Zeref who recognizes her as layla or layla's daughter (poor luce till now being her mums clone isnt helping much xD)

I'm also hoping for a lucy powerup come on girl show us your cooler secondary magic xD she probably was taught by her mum and i doubt the other 2 mages tutored her they probably just gave/sent her the keys, it would be fun to meet them though maybe they used to be in layla's same guild they could explain stuff together with the 3 spirits

It would be cool if they (or one of them) was a relative of layla more drama then lol

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaveDragon View Post
    she probably was taught by her mum and i doubt the other 2 mages tutored her they probably just gave/sent her the keys, it would be fun to meet them though maybe they used to be in layla's same guild they could explain stuff together with the 3 spirits

I don't think her mum tutored her. Layla didn't even mention to Lucy that she used to own Caprico. Secondly, her mum died when she was 11. I think all Layla did was hired a tutor(can't remember the name but the guy was at Lucy's home when she returned to confront her dad) so that she can learn about celestial magic and history. At 11, I don't think she was taught to open a gate with celestial keys.

Thirdly, from Lucy's arc, she mentioned that she ran away from home for almost a year. A year is sufficient time to search for the keys/mages and start learning how to call out celestial spirits.

As for the keys, I don't think they're sent to her. She probably has to search for the current owners to obtain the keys because the owners wouldn't know when she wants to become a mage.

Just a sidenote, am I the only one who thinks that ONLY Caprico made a promise to Layla? In the chapter Zoldeo's Ambition, Caprico said, " HOWEVER, I made a promise to Layla..." This was my interpretation of the sentence but too many people here think that ALL the 3 keys belonged to Lucy.

Anyway, yeah, I can't wait to see Aquarius, Cancer and Caprico throwing a gathering party or their previous owners. Another interesting thing is that there are only 2 keys which Lucy has yet to collect- would it be a coincidence that the each of the 2 owners of Aquarius and Cancer owns each of the remaining keys

Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think her mum tutored her. Layla didn't even mention to Lucy that she used to own Caprico. Secondly, her mum died when she was 11. I think all Layla did was hired a tutor(can't remember the name but the guy was at Lucy's home when she returned to confront her dad) so that she can learn about celestial magic and history. At 11, I don't think she was taught to open a gate with celestial keys.

Thirdly, from Lucy's arc, she mentioned that she ran away from home for almost a year. A year is sufficient time to search for the keys/mages and start learning how to call out celestial spirits.

As for the keys, I don't think they're sent to her. She probably has to search for the current owners to obtain the keys because the owners wouldn't know when she wants to become a mage.

Just a sidenote, am I the only one who thinks that ONLY Caprico made a promise to Layla? In the chapter Zoldeo's Ambition, Caprico said, " HOWEVER, I made a promise to Layla..." This was my interpretation of the sentence but too many people here think that ALL the 3 keys belonged to Lucy.

Anyway, yeah, I can't wait to see Aquarius, Cancer and Caprico throwing a gathering party or their previous owners. Another interesting thing is that there are only 2 keys which Lucy has yet to collect- would it be a coincidence that the each of the 2 owners of Aquarius and Cancer owns each of the remaining keys
    it would actually be fun to meet those two owners as i said it would be interesting if they are relatives xD

i think Lucy was 10 rather than 11 when her mum died and she was quite young when she first summoned a spirit i think in the orancon seis arc she was mentioned to have summoned spirits in her flashbacks of gemini

now that you mention it makes more sense that the pact was made with only capricorn unless Lucy is keeping something to herself (she seemed to recognize capricorn maybe she didnt just understand him being a spirit maybe Aquarius and cancer told her something)

also that year intrigues me what could have happened in that year, im expecting a flashback with explanations (maybe she met the other two owners and they told her something xD)

Also i think Layla could have been in fairy tail rather than a dark guild even though it would be cool layla seems to nice ^^ it would be interesting if master recognised lucy and is keeping some secret or porylusca xD

P.S here tutors name was Bero xD *was just rereading phantom arc*

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kuzumikun's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

People saying that Celestial Wizards can have secondary magic i think all mages can have secondary magic right? I dunno if one can stick to just one element, but i can be wrong(maybe only the Dragon Slayers can stick to their own element).
    Lucy was capable of doing "Unison Raid" and the other one(can't seem to remember). She is probably capable of doing more of a "light" or "holy" type of magic? We don't know but how did Hibiki know that she was capable of using that planet attack? Unless Hiro is just pulling our legs there must be a reason why only Lucy was the first and so far the only character to use Unison Raid(aside from the Anime which Gray and Juvia were able to Unison Raid).
    OT about Layla: I'm not surprised if she is somehow also involved with the whole missing Dragons event. I just can't wait for the Dragon arc, a lot of questions will be definatley answered in that arc!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ca12nag3's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Before we start derailing, i personaly believe that everyone has a main magic typ and is capable of using every typ of magic, however the result isnt all that great with the other typs.

Layla as well as her daughter Lucy are both Celestial mages, and well Unisonraid was a 2 person magic special. And the other one was a implanted spell she was able to use due to magical potential she hasnt unlocked yet.

Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

well Natsu could transform pretty easily in the omake so yeah mages do have secondary magic and Lucy needs to unlock hers soon. her magic was said to be very similar to anima in the edolas arc which is kind of like an opposite to Zeref deaths magic right? i think from what i understood it is a kind of holy light magic like Kuzumikun said so i wonder what type of secondary magic layla and her daughter can actually use :/

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast