Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Mephisto Pheles Thread

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

The Mephisto Pheles Thread

Mephisto Pheles has been quite the enigma throughout the series. This thread is for discussing this mysterious man (?).

We already know that he's a son of satan since he calls Amaimon and Rin his brothers. What do you think his intentions are? Can he be trusted?

THE MH FOODIE 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Sai_the_Shaman's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Mephisto Pheles Thread

I think for this you have to go back to the actual Legend of Faust where the character is derived from.

In the legend, a scholar named Faust makes a deal with the devil for ultimate power essentially. In the deal, he is given a demon names Mephistopheles whom will act as his servant until his bargain come up and at which point Mephistopheles will take his soul and damn him.

In this case I think that if Katou want's to play with it in a sense, Faust could have originally been a high ranking exorcist whom controlled Mephisto. Possible that Satan killed Faust and Mephisto, who had grown fond of him, wants to take him down?

It's kind of hard to say at this point, but I think that would be an interesting basis.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Razeus's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I say his character is more on the chaotic neutral aspect I mean he's helping rin out ,but at the same time seems like he's rebelling Satan well I need to reread the series again ,but that's my impression of him thus far.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all, Mephisto = Izaya = GGGGOOOOOODDDDD!!!
    Secondly, it's most likely a right the for the wrong reason sort of situation. Slightly less likely, a little over two hundred years ago Mephisto experienced a great trauma which caused him to renounce Gehenna in disgust or at the very least with boredom.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner PiggyBank's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shukketsumaru View Post
    Slightly less likely, a little over two hundred years ago Mephisto experienced a great trauma which caused him to renounce Gehenna in disgust or at the very least with boredom.
    you mean that he was so bored it traumatised him?
    Well, that could be true too...
    Evil mushroom demons - coming to attack a church near you!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member MSofAofCOCA's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm.... there are theories to support Mephisto's goals on all sides, whoever he may be allied with, but i actually really hope that he is and remains a good guy... IDK, he's just too compasionate to be a traitor/double agent - especially if he has been at it for 200 years...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bhoot's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Well to be frank , all his acts seem to represent him having secret alternate motives.

Now we have been told that there are many ppl in the exorcist line up who have demon blood . Our protagonist is special because of the blood for him belonging to Satan . Lets just assume that Pheles is maybe just from a higher ranked demon and hence has more characteristics like one .

Another theory can say he has a relation to angels / fallen angels as he addressed Rin as brother and not prince .

Maybe he was created by so and so angel to assist in killing of Satan for maybe Heaven's pass or whatever

EDIT :

Wanted to add the fact that Gehena is the Hindi world for Jewel . Maybe we might see the relation as well later

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kryanka's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

He was Shirou's friend, the Order trusts him and so do I. Baldy doesn't trust him and I don't trust Baldy, so that's another argument for Mephisto being on the good side. Apart from that, the way he protects Rin, cares for Yukio's state of mind, cares for his school and pupils shows that he's not evil. I think he wants to take satan's place and change things in his homeland.

I have a theory that 200 years earlier something happened that made him switch sides. Maybe he loved a human and satan killed him/her?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhoot View Post
    Wanted to add the fact that Gehena is the Hindi world for Jewel . Maybe we might see the relation as well later
    I think the name comes from Jewish. Wiki says it's "Jewish term loosely analogous to the concept of "Hell""

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ShiroPhoenix's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

As the old saying goes "can you really predict a clown's ulterior motives?" XD. In all seriousness though he really is one of the more intriguing characters throughout the story so far. At moments he seems as if he genuinely cares for the order and is on the exorcist's side. Then at other times he does something which arouses the readers suspicion. For example Amaimon seems to be pure evil yet he obeys Mephisto which is something I can't see him doing if Mephisto was not loyal to satan. Of course there is always the possibility of an ulterior motive which leads me back to the beginning of this comment.

“ I am only one man with one heart...Call me a demon, call me a monster...but I can't be the strongest forever...!!! ”

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member BexXx's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow didn't know bout the Legend of Faust I'd be inclined to think it's something along those lines for sure! But then maybe there will be more of a sinister element to it. I don't think mephisto is really a good guy at all I think he does have some goals of his own and while he still is on satan's side he's more interested in what happens on the weaker side and how the control of power will change with Rin. Maybe he was only even friends with shiro for Rin's purpose.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

He seems to be a good gy with an ulterior motive but i dont think he is on stans side :/ nor on Rins. He may want satan eliminated so he can grow to power maybe?
    I dont know, for all we know he may even want to become either fully human (because all n all hes a good guy troubled by his past)or fully demon (he wants to rule the world and be the most epic as well as elegantly dressed Bad Guy ever shown.

For now its too soon to judge and whats for sure is that he himself has a plan of his own.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Only watching the anime, I'd say he is very suspicious. As he clearly said on the first episode about "not mixing public issues and private matters". I translated this that he obviously has more than one reason to take care of Rin after Fujimoto died. As part of the Order, he actually has to kill the son of Satan, but since Rin insisted on becoming an exorcist, maybe he thought he may as well teach Rin well so Rin can be useful to the order. I think that was why he had a teacher attack Rin to "analyze his power", although I doubt that was his real intention. That's for the "public issues". For "private matter" is the part in which he seems to be someone from Gehenna, having brother who looks like a demon, and calling Rin brother as well. That being said, I look forward to see who this person actually is.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

He's too much of an enigma to be a truly good guy.
    It's as if he doesn't belong to the good side or the bad side but to his own side.
    But I have the inkling that he wants to kill Satan as well. At first, he was going to kill Rin but then after he saw Rin's motivation to be an exorcist, he decided to train him. Then, he went so far as to test Rin's strength. Maybe he thinks he can use Rin in one way or another?
    I'm a bit confused with his relationship with Amaimon though. Are they "partners-in-crime"? They seem to have a lot of shady communication.

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

He and Amaimon seem to be brothers, Amaimon also refers to himself as a son of Satan and Rin as a "brother of sorts". I suspect that Mephisto is another of the "eight kings". I have to agree, I think Mephisto intends to kill Satan. He probably thinks Rin is potentially strong enough to fight Satan, and is developing his true power. Neigauz described himself as "the accelerator", forcing Rin to bring out his powers. Amaimon was used in a similar manner. More than testing him, I think Mephisto is trying to draw as much of Rin's power out as possible - to turn him into his ultimate weapon.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the most probable intention of him is indeed to kill Satan. Another reason than the reasons already said above: if he's not going to kill Satan, why Neigauz is so loyal to him? We all know so well that Neigauz has a deep hatred toward Satan.
    Yep, that's the word. "Ultimate weapon". Seems like Mephisto and Satan are going to compete to get Rin.
    But Amaimon is more of an enigma than Mephisto. He doesn't seem loyal to Mephisto.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast