Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Rin's Desire

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Rin's Desire

In chapter 13, Mephisto makes a rather cryptic speech...

Quote Quote:
    There are still many things you need to learn about yourself... Starting with what you desire...
    - Mephisto Pheles (chapter 13 page 39)
    So, what is it that Rin desires? I'm just hoping that it doesn't turn out to be some shounen cliche, something to do with nakama/friends and protecting those around him. I think it will be something much darker than that, though (I trust Katou-sensei!). I think it will probably involve Rin having an internal battle between his human side and his demon side.

THE MH FOODIE 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Sai_the_Shaman's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rin's Desire

I do agree with you that Rin will need to overcome himself in order to grow. I think about his desire, however, is that he doesn't really have one. Part of the first chapter was analyzing how Rin never really knew where his life was going or anything. He has the same issue that pretty much all teenagers do. He doesn't know what lies in store for him in the future. Probably even doubly so as he does have this demon side to him that he doesn't fully understand.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner cklaighe's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Mephisto meant that Rin needs to have a good desire than actually having one.. At the moment, I think Rin does not realize yet what it is that he really desire himself.

As for being cliche. For me, after the baddass priest being possessed then k****d, verything is moving pretty much like a normal shounen manga cliche. It does not bother me though.. As long as he keeps (a) a good story (b) that fantastic art!

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with everyone so far.

I think Mephisto may have been referring to Rin either becoming the savior of Assiah or a demon king of Gehenna. Rin doesn't want to be a demon, but he has to control his impulses. That's what it means when he's consumed by his flames. His impulses aren't a separate entity, it's him and it isn't new to him. Now it's worse if he looses control of those impulses.

What does Rin want in the end? I dunno. I think the shounen cliche most likely, but I always leave room for surprises.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Razeus's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think his desire is to stand on his own without the use of the son of satan or the son of a famous exorcist. Rin strikes me of being that type of person so that can be his desire.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bhoot's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think he desires anything more then what Naruto does. I mean if u look at it , its nearly the same plot where the protagonist seems to have some omnipotent power that allows him/her to do the impossible hence attracting attention which they otherwise didnt have seeing as they were treated as outcasts .

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kryanka's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Heh, great minds think alike. I agree that Mephisto thinks Rin should have a goal, something he really wants to achieve. Actually, Rin wants to become a paladin, but maybe there's something more to this desire. Like making Shiro proud, being someone respected, having people trust him, proving himself to be a good person or something like that.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably what everyone seems to be saying i agree with ^^ its more that Mephisto thinks he needs to find a goal, something he needs to do, apart from that, i think he might get the wanting to protect people but rather it seems Sheimi is the one who always gets this protection, i almost used up my fingers at the number of times she got in trouble and Rin came for her, at least though unlike other shonen girl she is useful without the hyper power xD

i think in the end he will have a set of goals;
    Making up with his friends (right now),
    Overcoming and controlling his demon side,
    Using alternate powers rather than only the blue flame,
    Protecting Sheimi (lets face it these two are bound together) and capturing her heart haha,
    becoming a Paladin and not be discriminated for his demon side,
    and of course the ultimate goal;
    Defeating Satan.

I think he will learn to trust in his friends and wont be always "i will protect them at all cost" rather "i will stand by their side and fight" i think he'll protect only Sheimi since he seems attracted to her to show her.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member addenza's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the desire that Mephisto was referring to is actually the desire of the demon in Rin, and not the desire of the human in Rin. If that's the case, then what is desired would be rather different. The human in Rin probably yearns to be accepted by the people around him, since he was always feared for his brute strength before he came to the academy. But I don't think that the demon in Rin would wish for the same thing.

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, Rin IS a demon. He's a demon in a human body that's uniquely suited to him. This is why his powers aren't watered down, he inherited all of Satan's powers, not half of them. But Rin is a kind guy at heart, even more kind then the people around him. That will be the reason why Rin won't have as much of a conscious conflict.

However, he already does have a conflict in that he's driven by his impulses sometimes. He becomes completely controlled by them, or consumed by his flames. It's just like how he beat up the kids at day care, he relentlessly went after them. That's why when he first got out of control, he remembered that incident and was afraid.

Now, later on, something might happen to split Rin into his demon impulses and his kind self. The inevitable shounen cliches would happen, but I trust Kazue in her impeccable delivery.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by earthforge View Post
    Guys, Rin IS a demon. He's a demon in a human body that's uniquely suited to him. This is why his powers aren't watered down, he inherited all of Satan's powers, not half of them. But Rin is a kind guy at heart, even more kind then the people around him. That will be the reason why Rin won't have as much of a conscious conflict.

However, he already does have a conflict in that he's driven by his impulses sometimes. He becomes completely controlled by them, or consumed by his flames. It's just like how he beat up the kids at day care, he relentlessly went after them. That's why when he first got out of control, he remembered that incident and was afraid.

Now, later on, something might happen to split Rin into his demon impulses and his kind self. The inevitable shounen cliches would happen, but I trust Kazue in her impeccable delivery.
    To say the truth shonen cliche arent bad, i know we've seen it over again and again but what makes the artist really good is the new and incredible way they deliver this cliche making it totally awesome and kind of a new cliche type, dont know if im making myself clear xD

Rin i still a kid in a way so i think it might also be a shonen on how he will first find his true desire as right now it is centered on two things
    1-making people (and right now his friends) accept him for who he is not who his relatives are
    2-defeating Satan

but he has other smaller desires and Kazue shows us that all in all, demon or not, Rin is a good natured kid who loves his friends, a healthy young boy with a big problem.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member BexXx's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sai_the_Shaman View Post
    I do agree with you that Rin will need to overcome himself in order to grow. I think about his desire, however, is that he doesn't really have one. Part of the first chapter was analyzing how Rin never really knew where his life was going or anything. He has the same issue that pretty much all teenagers do. He doesn't know what lies in store for him in the future. Probably even doubly so as he does have this demon side to him that he doesn't fully understand.
    It's not just the teens with this issue! XD

But yea I think it's something more related to his demon side when Mephesto says this. I don't think it'll be the total cliche thing I can't imagine a character like Mephesto giving a crap about Rin's intentions for his friends' I think it'll be more on two perspectives and maybe Mephesto is hoping that inside Rin there is a desire to overthrow satan and rule genna from his natural instincts but Rin wouldn't know that so maybe there'll be more developments in relation to demon instinct and Rin getting past them.....?

New Reply