Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: How to Type in Japanese and Other Languages

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Type in Japanese and Other Languages

The following is a simple tutorial for enabling your computer to type the Japanese text. Similar steps can be taken for Korean Chinese and other languages. If you don't have Windows Vista the following link might cover what you need to do.

http://www.unicode.org/help/display_problems.html

In Windows Vista

Step by step illustration
    Start> Control panel> Regional and Language Options>
    Spoiler show

Click the following
    Keyboards and Languages Tab
    Change Keyboards... Button
    Spoiler show

Click and check the
    Add Button
    Japanese and Microsoft IME (Input Method Editors) Boxes
    Spoiler show

Once you ok everything you should now be able to choose the language that you type in by selecting the desired language in the Task Bar.
    Spoiler show

=======================================================================
    =======================================================================

Windows 8

The steps are generally similar in Win8, but the interface/layout is quite different and possibly confusing for a new user. Here is a brief tutorial to adding a language in Win8.

Spoiler: For Windows 8 users show
    Last edited by Utsune; July 04, 2014 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Added brief tutorial on Win8 -Utsune

2. Thanks 11 Member(s) thanked this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Type in Japanese and Other Languages

Since the above is a tutorial for Windows, here's a short tutorial for Mac users It's really easy (a lot easier than Windows )~

Here's how you do it:
    1. Go into System Preferences and click "Language & Text"
    Spoiler show

2. Select Input Sources
    Spoiler show

3. Tick the checkbox next to "Kotoeri" and you're good to go Hiragana is selected by default so that when you type, it'll be in Hiragana then auto-converted to Kanji and so on, but you can also select Katakana or Romaji if you prefer.
    Spoiler show

Another alternative to the inbuilt input systems is something njt recommended to me, and it's what I'm using right now Google IME, which works on both Windows and Macs. The benefit of Google IME is that it gleans info off the internet, so you'll be using words that are commonly used. For example, if I want to type the title of the manga Shiki (屍鬼), I wouldn't be able to get it if I used the standard input systems since 屍鬼 is not actually a word per se. I'd get 四季... 式... 指揮... But not what I want! However, since the word 屍鬼 is fairly common on the internet with people discussing the series, it will appear on the IME kanji conversion list when I type "しき" This means easy typing of names like 黒崎一護 which actually aren't standard/normal.

In addition, typing things like "イエイ" easily gets you the emoji "v( ̄Д ̄)v イエイ"! How awesome is that?

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member cmertb's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

But the standard Windows IME comes with an awesome drawing pad for kanji recognition! (That's why I haven't switched to Google IME yet)

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Does it? Can you share more about it (maybe write a short tutorial if you have time? :3)? When you say "drawing pad", does that mean you need a tablet to write the kanji on for it to be recognized...?

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saradesu
    Another alternative to the inbuilt input systems is something njt recommended to me, and it's what I'm using right now Google IME, which works on both Windows and Macs. The benefit of Google IME is that it gleans info off the internet, so you'll be using words that are commonly used. For example, if I want to type the title of the manga Shiki (屍鬼), I wouldn't be able to get it if I used the standard input systems since 屍鬼 is not actually a word per se. I'd get 四季... 式... 指揮... But not what I want! However, since the word 屍鬼 is fairly common on the internet with people discussing the series, it will appear on the IME kanji conversion list when I type "しき" This means easy typing of names like 黒崎一護 which actually aren't standard/normal.
    Since I've never used Google IME or the drawing pad that cmertb mentioned, I can't say much about it.

Anyway, I am sure that many people in Japan prefer ATOK over MS IME. (ATOK has been around in Japan for decades.)

MS IME can be pretty bad, but there are ways to go around it if you chose to use it.

To type 屍鬼(しき/shiki):

(1) Type しかばね to convert it to kanji (屍), then add 鬼(おに/oni)
    This works only if you already know how to read kanji.

(2) If you type 屍鬼 often -

Find [Tools] icon on the language bar. Click it, then select [Register Words/Examples ...].

Fill in/Type
    Reading: しかばね
    Display: 屍鬼  <---- copy and paste from whatever the website you can find the word.

Part of Speech: I think default is Noun/名詞 but you can change.
    Add comments if you want. then click [OK]

Next time you use MS IME, you can simply type "しき" to convert it to "屍鬼"

- For Bleach Fans & Translators -

You can do this with MS IME:

When you add words, type

Reading: ざらきけんぱち
    Display: 更木剣八
    click OK

Once registered, "ざらきけんぱち" will be converted to "更木剣八."

or,

Reading: ざら
    Display:更木剣八
    click OK

Once registered, all you need is to type "ざら" to get "更木剣八."

Likewise, enter - Reading: くろ / Display: 黒崎一護. OK
    くろ will be converted into 黒崎一護.

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member cmertb's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I can't do a tutorial since I have zero image editing skills, but there is a button on your language toolbar that brings up the drawing pad. You can draw with the mouse, and as you draw, the app keeps displaying characters that look closest to what you're drawing. It's very fault tolerant, which makes it easy to use. I use it often when the scan is too low res to make out any individual radical, but when I start drawing what the kanji looks like to me, very often the correct one pops up at some point.

As for ATOK, do you have to buy it separately and install in Windows? Or do Japanese Windows already come with it pre-installed?
    Last edited by cmertb; June 03, 2011 at 01:48 PM.

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmertb View Post
    Well, I can't do a tutorial since I have zero image editing skills, but there is a button on your language toolbar that brings up the drawing pad. You can draw with the mouse, and as you draw, the app keeps displaying characters that look closest to what you're drawing.

As for ATOK, do you have to buy it separately and install in Windows? Or do Japanese Windows already come with it pre-installed?
    I haven't downloaded the google IME yet, but I played around with the drawing pad you mentioned. I found it under [tools]-[IME Pad]-[Hand Writing (JA)]. It worked just like you said.

ATOK was developed in Japan as part of a well known word processor application called Ichitaro. The company now sells ATOK separately as well. It's quite expensive (around 100USD), so I would not just recommend it to anyone.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a program called the JWPce (Japanese Word Processor CE - the programmer made it for Windows CE but it works fine in XP and Win7, etc., and it's free). My college Japanese professor showed us how to use it, and it's pretty great - has a dictionary database, and you can look up kanji by a number of different methods, including SKIP. The default as you type is in hiragana; you get katakana by holding shift or using caps lock, and you can do kanji insert by 'capitalizing' the first letter in a word.

http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~grosenth/jwpce.html

Another awesome thing about it is that it's small enough to store on a thumb drive, and it doesn't have to be installed - it just runs from a folder with all of its necessary files. So I can take it to work or a campus library, for example, where you'd have to have admin privileges to get Windows to install Japanese for display.
    Last edited by smaller; June 23, 2011 at 11:25 AM.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Windows 7 Home Premium

[Control Panel] - [Clock, Language, and Region] - [Region and Language]

Select the [Keyboards and Languages] tab, then click on [Change keyboards].

Click [Add] button under Installed services in the [General] tab to add extra input languages. Scroll down to find Japanese. Double click Japanese, then double click keyboard. Select options ( Japanese; Microsoft IME), then click [OK].

Change the default input language to Japanese if you prefer.

Optional set-up: "Language for non-Unicode programs" in the [Administrative] under Region and Language Settings.

Click [Apply] or [OK] and close
    [Region and Language].

You may download other IME (such as google IME) to change the IME settings later.

To fully support Japanese application programs, upgrade your 7 Home Premium to Windows Ultimate, which is a very expensive alternative.

Note: I use US Windows 7. To see official information, please use Windows Help & Support feature.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

hey guys
    i'm new here and really i didn't know what to do i didn't understand it
    i have windows XP and i don't know a lot about japanies and and and
    and i need your help --'
    please

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ars Magna's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Just get NJstar

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lost in space View Post
    hey guys
    and i need your help --'
    please
    Hi there, can you tell us more about your problem? I'm not a Windows users myself but I'll try my best to help if I can I'm thinking the process should be fairly similar to installing Japanese input in either Vista or 7, though?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lost in space View Post
    hey guys
    and i need your help --'
    please
    You need to:
    * install files for East Asian Languages (Japanese) and add a (Japanese) keyboard.
    * learn how to use IME

Log on as an administrator.

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Regional and Language Options.

On the Languages tab, under Supplemental language support, select the Install files for East Asian languages check box then click OK or Apply. (Select only the necessary language(s)/Japanese to install.) Click Apply or OK.

On the Languages tab, under Text services and input languages, click Details button to add a Japanese Keyboard. (Keep the default language as English. 1. Click Add button. 2. Chose Japanese input language and Keyboard layout/IME.) Click Apply or OK.

You may want to use Windows Help and Support information for more detail.
    Last edited by mikkih; August 22, 2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: striketrhough

New Reply