Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Will a strawhat ever be offered a shichibukai position?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Will a strawhat ever be offered a shichibukai position?

The thread says it all. Do you think it will happen? The strawhats have done a number of things which have given them a good deal of fame. They took out ennies lobby, 2 shichibukai, survived the admiral attack and so on... Well, luffy was the protagonist in those cases but still at least zoro is reasonably feared.

Pre time skip I would have considered this impossible but upon seeing the ease with which the monster trio can deal with the pacifista I get the impression that right now at least those 3 could be fearsome shichibukai to some extent.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Aikidoka's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will a strawhat ever be offered a shichibukai position?

It's likely. On one hand there are all those reasons you listed, and offering the SHs (or one of them) Shichibukai status might keep them in line. But keyword is "might".

The first reason I doubt they (meaning anyone in the crew) would be offered Shichibukai status is because the nature of the things they've done have put them into direct opposition to the World Government. Having assaulted the Tenryuubito and stormed Enies Lobby, it seems likely that the WG would consider them wild cards. We haven't seen the process (we might not at all), but I suspect the WG chooses pirates whom they know have something to gain out of the deal, such as Jimbei or Hancock who joined to help their people. The SHs however have no such ties -- there's nothing to dangle over their heads to make them accept the offer.

Second, the SHs are too free-spirited to work for the World Government -- even ignoring those who are opposed to them (namely Robin and Franky), the rest really don't seem to care. For example Luffy in Impel Down -- he doesn't try to do good, his morality is very self-centered (not necessarily in a bad way). Someone in another topic said that Luffy always seems to "stumble" into situations where he accidentally benefits everyone around him (Skypeia, etc.), but there are equal situations where he screws up the situation (Impel Down, where he caused all the riots). So whoever's offered the position will either refuse due to their history (Robin/Franky) or because they're too independent to work for the WG (Luffy/Zoro).
    Rest in Peace, Pwncrow. You will be missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ripmyg View Post
    PS: Urial, how did you become a mod?
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Blackmailing and whoring. It's easy.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, you have to consider the mihawk and flamingo situation. Both of them are insanely powerful wildcards who are bound to quit their positions on a whim. If the world government is willing to keep them as shichibukai then I really don't think attitude is much of an issue. And overall, do shichibukai in general care about doing good? I haven't gotten such an impression at all.

The main issue I doubt they would let luffy be a shichibukai in particular is because of the fact that he is the son of dragon. Although they were willing to make ace a shichibukai though...

Zoro is the one I actually see as the more likely candidate. For one thing, his nickname fits the job perfectly. Shichibukai are already supposed to scare the crap out of pirates and this guy is already known as pirate hunter. He is also fearsome enough as it is....

Sanji would be just as good a candidate but in turn he is not nearly as feared nor as fearsome as zoro. not sure if the fact that sanji has common sense would work against him.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

It's an interesting thought. I think that the terms of condition of being a Shichibukai would be giving up on Robin. She represents a HUGE threat to WG.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really know...I see it most unlikely, even if not from SH POV, but from WG POV...the SH crew commited the ultimate taboo, which was assaulting Tenryuubito...and even 3 at that...so I think it will ever happen

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Naruffy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The stawhats have done to much "evil" at this point to be considered for the position IMO. Plus Luffy being dragon's son makes the seems to make the government hate him and want to kill him rather than recruit him to join them.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity chess4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

simple answer........no. its been 2 years and im sure the WG has replaced the missing shichibukai already, so i think those 7 will last until the end of the story

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, I highly doubt it. What they've done has gone too far. Most pirates just do usual pirate things (pillage/plunder villages, kill marines when attacked, etc), and the WG pays them off to make them stop doing stuff like that. But the WG would never want someone on their side who attacked a tenryuubito and assisted in/led the destruction of each of the three strongholds of the WG (and, by the way, declared war on the WG itself).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

No. The Strawhats, and Luffy especially, are different than other pirates. They're enemies of the World Government itself now, just like Dragon, although they're a smaller threat of course.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Mugiwaras have shown too much defiance to the World Government. Luffy being the son of Dragon, the storming of Enies Lobby, defeating two Shichibukai, etc. have all led to serious public relation blows to the WG. The Mugiwaras would be the last group the WG would offer the 7BK position, but assuming that they did do so, it'd have to go to either Luffy or Zoro. Those two are the only Mugiwaras with a credible reputation.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Umm al-Qaiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

The Strawhats have literally declared WAR on the WG and have committed acts of terrorism. So I'm gonna go with "no."

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the very acts of defiance could also be seen as reason to make shichibukai out of one of them. The shichibukai are meant to scare the crap out of other pirates and that could be done beautifully by someone who has singlehandedly defied the single most powerful organization out there and to a great degree succeeded (even if the efforts of other powerful forces where the main reason ID and marineford were a sort of success). The tenryobitto part is a greater deterrent from making a strawhat a shichibukai than the 3 fortresses part IMO.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they very well could be offered the position. I think it's also irrelevant, because they'd immediately say no. xD

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member MaiSiaoSiao's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

They wont be offered a position.Think about it
    IF luffy accepts the position, wouldn't that make the WG an "ally" of the revolutionary in a way?And even if the revolutionary is out of the picture,i cant see a way of assaulting a celestial dragon and still get away Scott free just be accepting the position.Thats like assaulting ur president then getting offered a job "beside" him as his "bodyguard"
    As for the rest if the crew,they joined the SHs because they each have a dream of their own.And the SHs/Luffy seems to emit an aura that assure them that their dream will come true as long as they join the SHs/Luffy.
    Last edited by MaiSiaoSiao; May 14, 2011 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Typo

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bhoot's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the points that come to mind are as follows :

1. Luffy is quite strong and any side would like to have his power on their side .

2. He is the son of Revolutionary Dragon and hence having him in their favor allows WG to discourage Dragon [even a little can make a big difference] and might also reduce Dragon's repo .

3. There is also the fact that he is a peace main type and hence isn't as wild/bloodhungry as some other Shichubaki

4. Having his under their jurisdiction may allow WG to gain fame from his past good actions and also prevent him from making a foolry of WG any longer.

5. Grandson if Garp and hence will get some more respect from his sub-ordinates .

6. Son of Dragon and hence WG may or may not trust him .

7. Well known for his bond with his crew and w/o them will only work half heartedly.

8. He hit a Tenritubichu and hence the Tenriyu might oppose his addition .

9. He is an idiot .

10. Would never listen to the commands given .

11. Would encourage Boa to stay as a Shichubaki [Assuming they know she loves him somehow]

12 . Luffy idiolises Shanks who is an extremely strong and dangerous pirate .

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast