Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Luffy's Chest Scar

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luffy's Chest Scar

Ne, he got it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjlDxERWnYs#t=01m52s

Seriously, the moment I saw the scar I remembered this shitty filler. Who would have thought that the filler will have a spot-on prediction ><
    Last edited by Razh; May 21, 2011 at 06:13 AM.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member trunterzx's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Ne, he got it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjlDxERWnYs#t=01m52s

Seriously, the moment I saw the scar I remembered this shitty filler. Who would have thought that the filler will have a spot-on prediction ><
    ROFL

Yeah I agree many people would want the scar to be made in a scene where everybody saw rather then some random scene where nobody knows. I remember Akainu's fierce attack. I just didn't expect it would leave a scar on his body.

Maybe for people like me who wants more stories told would hope that the scar has another story behind it, but I guess Akainu being the reason is more than good enough. I hope Luffy will explain about his scar and his resolutions one day. I wonder why nobody ask him about it.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm not going to dis. I was also wondering where that scar came from. I thought he got it from Rayleigh during training. This revelation is a bit disappointing.

I'm going to remember this Akainu.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member trunterzx's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO PHOENIX View Post
    Well I'm not going to dis. I was also wondering where that scar came from. I thought he got it from Rayleigh during training. This revelation is a bit disappointing.

I'm going to remember this Akainu.
    Finally a person who shares the same sentiments as me!!

Yeah I think Oda shouldn't have revealed it so early to keep people like us in suspense. At least he should have revealed it in the story instead of in the SBS~

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trunterzx View Post
    Finally a person who shares the same sentiments as me!!

Yeah I think Oda shouldn't have revealed it so early to keep people like us in suspense. At least he should have revealed it in the story instead of in the SBS~
    Well, you know haters gonna dis. Only makes them feel better about themselves so eh. But yeah I had the same questions you did. Still, I think it was good that Oda revealed the origins of the scar early on. I mean if I read 100 more chapters of One Piece and the big reveal about the scar is that he got it from Akainu I would be seriously pissed off.

As far as Zoro is concerned he probably lost his eye to Mihawk. What I'm pissed at is the fact that the Straw Hats haven't drawn attention to it. I mean hello your captain has this big ass scar on his chest and Zoro is missing an eye. Is someone going to give my boys some attention?

[It would be funny as hell if Zoro has a Sharingan.]

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member dct21's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree with most people here, it was fairly obvious before oda said anything. And i think luffy already proved how much stronger his gotten over a two year time span. and naruto had 3 years, personally i think that was just bad writing on kishimotos part

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Quaro1987's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dct21 View Post
    i agree with most people here, it was fairly obvious before oda said anything. And i think luffy already proved how much stronger his gotten over a two year time span. and naruto had 3 years, personally i think that was just bad writing on kishimotos part
    But he spent 2 years making filler episodes for the anime, before he started training XD

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No Trust Re: Luffy's Chest Scar

Quote Originally Posted by Quaro1987 View Post
    But he spent 2 years making filler episodes for the anime, before he started training XD
    What do fillers (non-canon) have to do with the manga (canon)? Let me help you out. Not a damn thing.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

how is luffy still alive anyway

that shot went through his solar plexis, looking at how the lava seems to extend beyond luffy's body in the hit shot

lots of essential nerves are bunched there, including those that keep the heart pumping

his bronchi should have been burnt as well, not to mention his heart

if the shot went through his entire chest, his spine should have been broken as well

trafalgar law could possibly be one of the most gifted doctors in the world. i'm thinking very detailed grafting of nerves and bone/muscle tissue with his powers

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member winterwyrm's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_megaman View Post
    how is luffy still alive anyway

that shot went through his solar plexis, looking at how the lava seems to extend beyond luffy's body in the hit shot

lots of essential nerves are bunched there, including those that keep the heart pumping

his bronchi should have been burnt as well, not to mention his heart

if the shot went through his entire chest, his spine should have been broken as well

trafalgar law could possibly be one of the most gifted doctors in the world. i'm thinking very detailed grafting of nerves and bone/muscle tissue with his powers
    Well, theres a lot of things like that in the manga, like nobody seems to remember when crocodile skewered luffy with his hook, then left him under thousands of pounds of sand, while a mummy, seems like that would be lethal, and even so, that hit seemed to have severed jimbei's spine, as well as burning his lungs and who knows what else, yet he doesn't even have a single mark on him.

That aside, in OP there seems to be something to be said for willpower, not even including haki, irl it is possible to survive wounds and diseases by willpower alone, just by willing yourself conscious, it is possible to avoid drowning for a longer time, I've even heard stories of people surviving shots to the head and other serious wounds, as well as stories of parents surviving fatal illnesses just long enough to see their children graduate and then dying shortly thereafter.

In OP, serious, and even fatal wounds can be overcome with sheer willpower to a much greater degree, we saw that well in whitebeard during the war, since he had just a human body, but yet he kept fighting regardless of damage until the point when his hope ran out, and only died when he had no reason left to keep fighting in much the same manner, though clearly some things, like, say decapitation would be bound to work anyways, this is a real life, documented phenomena, whereby if one organ fails, another organ, or nerves or anything else can compensate, to prolong life for a very long time, OP just takes it much farther, allowing Rob Lucci to survive his wounds, albeit barely, and in fact many people who suffered lethal damage to go on to live a long, full life just because they had the will to live.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by winterwyrm View Post
    Well, theres a lot of things like that in the manga, like nobody seems to remember when crocodile skewered luffy with his hook, then left him under thousands of pounds of sand, while a mummy, seems like that would be lethal, and even so, that hit seemed to have severed jimbei's spine, as well as burning his lungs and who knows what else, yet he doesn't even have a single mark on him.

That aside, in OP there seems to be something to be said for willpower, not even including haki, irl it is possible to survive wounds and diseases by willpower alone, just by willing yourself conscious, it is possible to avoid drowning for a longer time, I've even heard stories of people surviving shots to the head and other serious wounds, as well as stories of parents surviving fatal illnesses just long enough to see their children graduate and then dying shortly thereafter.

In OP, serious, and even fatal wounds can be overcome with sheer willpower to a much greater degree, we saw that well in whitebeard during the war, since he had just a human body, but yet he kept fighting regardless of damage until the point when his hope ran out, and only died when he had no reason left to keep fighting in much the same manner, though clearly some things, like, say decapitation would be bound to work anyways, this is a real life, documented phenomena, whereby if one organ fails, another organ, or nerves or anything else can compensate, to prolong life for a very long time, OP just takes it much farther, allowing Rob Lucci to survive his wounds, albeit barely, and in fact many people who suffered lethal damage to go on to live a long, full life just because they had the will to live.
    organ compensation? source?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kyodai Senkan Mora's Avatar
    Country
    Kenya
    Post Thanks / Like

....Remember the sight of Shanks made Whitebeard's scar from Roger ache? Scars in one piece are in important IMHO to signify rivalry especially between two strong Opponents, In the same way Is anyone else reminded of shank's scar when you see luffy's scar? Two great pirates who are great friends both have scars from two formidable opponents.Maybe its a foreshadowing that in the final battle Luffy's last foe will be Akainu while Shank's will deal with BB.Then again who knows...This is Oda after all, the scars could just be a beauty mark lol.
    "Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword I can not embrace you." -Tite Kubo

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodai Senkan Mora View Post
    ....Remember the sight of Shanks made Whitebeard's scar from Roger ache? Scars in one piece are in important IMHO to signify rivalry especially between two strong Opponents, In the same way Is anyone else reminded of shank's scar when you see luffy's scar? Two great pirates who are great friends both have scars from two formidable opponents.Maybe its a foreshadowing that in the final battle Luffy's last foe will be Akainu while Shank's will deal with BB.Then again who knows...This is Oda after all, the scars could just be a beauty mark lol.
    Formidable opponents!?
    Just reminding you that Shanks' scars weren't Whitebeard's fault.

It's Blackbeard that gave those scars to Shanks.

And, IMO, Blackbeard is far from being a formidable opponent.
    So far, all he has done is talk big and run away in front of more powerful people...

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackbeard is a formidable enemy if you use the right translation[] and he has already shown his ability to adapt after acquiring WBs powers. Not playing fair is part of battle too, like 99% of fights in OP.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kyodai Senkan Mora's Avatar
    Country
    Kenya
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THM Nindo View Post
    Formidable opponents!?
    Just reminding you that Shanks' scars weren't Whitebeard's fault.

It's Blackbeard that gave those scars to Shanks.

And, IMO, Blackbeard is far from being a formidable opponent.
    So far, all he has done is talk big and run away in front of more powerful people...
    at no point in my post did I imply whitebeard caused shank's scar.If you recall when shank's came to visit him whitebeard's told him that the sight of him made the scar he got fro roger ache (as shanks was in rogers crew)......also blackbeard not a formidable opponent? R u reading the same manga I am?.....He's got two of the most powerful devils fruits,a crew of history's worst pirates and FACT:he did defeat ace,he fought a fleet admiral with no major damage and was directly responsible for whitebeard's ultimate demise...if this is not formidable to you I'd like to see what is.Maybe Oda should give him kyoka suigetsu and be done with it....just saying(lol)
    "Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword I can not embrace you." -Tite Kubo

Thread Closed
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast