Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Speckling/Leveling Problem

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Speckling/Leveling Problem

I'm having a problem with white speckles appearing on the blacks of my pngs/psds after I've saved them.

I use the Idiot's Guide To Editing Manga's suggested settings for saving to png. The pages were properly leveled as psds, I saved them as pngs and psds, closed the documents, double checked the pngs to make sure there were no errors (and they looked fine), then left the files on my computer for two or three weeks...and now I open them and they've got white speckles on all the black sections. Both the psds and the pngs have them (though they aren't always the same speckle pattern, even if it's the same pic). When I tried to fix it by going into the psd and cleaning the spots off and resaving, the spots appeared on the pngs again immediately (though not as prominently, and so far the fixed psds still look fine.)

I've edited other things and never had this problem. I just immediately started having it on the first (and all 3 subsequently done) chapters of this new series I started. I scanned them myself as with my other series, and while the pages might be a bit dirtier than my past series due to being old, I swear I cleaned and leveled them properly when I first did them, so it shouldn't matter, right?

Thanks for any help or anyone who can take even a guess at what might be going on.

(I rambled in more detail but likely somewhat less coherently over here if that's any help to you.

MH Senpai 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DrPepperPro's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speckling/Leveling Problem

Post some pictures.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dosetsu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

To me, that sounds like bad monitor settings combined with bad png settings.

How to fix it? Uh, calibrate your monitor and re-level. Either by going and buying something hardware ("Hardware Monitor Calibration") to do it (Best solution.) or trying and doing it yourself through stuff found through the web (Searching up "Monitor Calibration").

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks, I'll look up how to do that and see how it goes.

EDIT: Woops, forgot to post my png settings:

Is there anything I can fix?

Quote Originally Posted by DrPepperPro View Post
    Post some pictures.
    These are some of the worst ones. Some of them look fine or almost fine.

This is one from the first chapter. It was worse before, then I fixed it and the speckles reappeared again, though not as prominently as before.

Last edited by NarwhalTortellini; April 10, 2009 at 08:18 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya the pics need to be leveled more or burned or something. You can adjust you monitor like the other guy said, or make a new layer with white and the opacity at around 40 which helps see blacks better.

Or just save with like 50 colors or so and those near blacks will blend better.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

These monitor calibration things look long so I don't haven't had time to start one yet, though I'll try later (though on the test here
    I can see the difference between all the squares. So do I really need to calibrate it, at least as far as blacks and whites go? Also, does improper calibration explain why the pics looked fine in Photoshop but in some cases immediately had speckles once saved to png?)

I tried saving with 50 colors vs my normal settings on a couple pages to see the difference, but it's being cheeky and saving properly even with the normal settings at the moment, so I can't tell if it's better or not. I'll try it more later, though, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPepperPro View Post
    make a new layer with white and the opacity at around 40 which helps see blacks better.
    Would you mind telling me the steps? I tried doing it, but I don't think I got it right. You'll have to excuse me since everything I know about Photoshop I learned from a manga editing guide, and it didn't talk about layers so it took me a while to even figure out how to toggle between them much less do much else with them. ^_^;

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason that the specks show up in the saved pic so that the png wasn't saved with enough colors, so the specks of not completely black in the blacks were changed to some other color that was more visible.

1. make layer above the other ones.
    2. use paint bucked and fill it with white.
    3. put the opacity lower.

This image has little squares of almost blacks.

And then with the white layer they become more visible.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member wade69's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Set the color to 32 and not 17 maybe.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So the white layer is meant to help me see the white spots better so that when I level it I don't accidentally leave any, and then I get rid of it? (Last time I fixed the leveling I tried zooming up on it to see the pixels better. Is that in effect the same? Or is that a bad idea? The white spots still reappeared, though...)

Ok, so last night I tried saving with more colors with a batch of pages. I resaved them with 64 colors and then the usual 17 so I could compare. I checked them right after doing it and the ones with 64 were just sliiiiiightly better if you looked really close, but it was a negligible difference, really, they still had the spots. Today I was going to post pics so you guys could look at it...only now today when I open them they all look absolutely fine, no spots, both the 64 color batch and the 17 color batch (besides a spot or two on one or two pages). Wtf? ^_^;

(Crap, maybe I should just give up and find a real editor, lol *is really just a translator*)

New Reply