Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: The JLPT Thread

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

The JLPT Thread

Quote Quote:
    The Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) has been offered by the Japan Foundation and Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (formerly Association of International Education, Japan) since 1984 as a reliable means of evaluating and certifying the Japanese proficiency of non-native speakers.

The JLPT has five levels: N1, N2, N3, N4 and N5. The easiest level is N5 and the most difficult level is N1.
    N1 difficult ←→ easy N5

N4 and N5 measure the level of understanding of basic Japanese mainly learned in class. N1and N2 measure the level of understanding of Japanese used in a broad range of scenes in actual everyday life. N3 is a bridging level between N1/N2 and N4/N5.

Linguistic competence required for the JLPT is expressed in terms of language activities, such as Reading and Listening, as shown in the table below. While not noted in the table, Language Knowledge, such as Vocabulary and Grammar, is also required for successful execution of these activities.

official website
    This thread is for everything about the JLPT test - questions, tips, experiences...
    Last edited by saladesu; May 18, 2011 at 10:46 AM.

Translator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member aegon-rokudo's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

JLPT test

Hello,
    I'm going to do the japanese proficency test level N4 the 5 of december. Someone in this forum knows a site where I can download materials for the exams?(past test, mp3 files ecc).
    Someone already did the test? Does he have any tips to share?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Dancing wind's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: JLPT test

JLPT N4 is the old JLPT 3. So you just need to google materials for that one. Example: http://www.jlptstudy.com/N4/index.html
    Good luck.

update 07-July-2012

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The JLPT Thread

Is anyone intending to take the test this year? Did anyone take the new "syllabus" (N_) last year? What was it like and was it what you expected?

The last time I took a JLPT was 2-kyuu in 2009 ("old" syllabus). I think I've gotten pretty rusty as I don't get to use a lot of the 2-kyuu words very much in "daily life" and manga translating I'm considering taking the N2 this year to see just how rusty I've gotten JLPT-wise.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I can help people who want to do the N5...I did 4 kyuu the last year the old system was still running...so if anybody needs any help with that I can deliver...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ominae's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Any sites to help learn about the kanjis up to at least N3 level? I may be pushing my luck in trying to be a J-E translator.

"Protect Our Legacy from Evil Forces" - Unknown Hebrew Message on Rectangular Message Plate in 1998 Applied Physics Conference.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Zell_ff8's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Just buy a dictionary and read, so you can search the kanji you find on the way. or search by rankings of frecuency.

I always recommend Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary. There you have 2200 kanjis to learn, and that book is just awesome and extremely fast to search, the only thing that beats it is a densi jisho.

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member cmertb's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ominae View Post
    Any sites to help learn about the kanjis up to at least N3 level? I may be pushing my luck in trying to be a J-E translator.
    You can find JLPT study lists (including kanji lists) here: http://www.jlptstudy.net/

However, I recommend against memorizing kanji by rote. You can do it only when forced to do so at school. It's hard to imagine a normal adult willingly forcing himself to copy each kanji 100 times or so...

The method that worked for me was the book "Remembering the Kanji Vol 1" by James Heisig TOGETHER with this site: http://kanji.koohii.com/

The basic gist of the method is:
    1) Memorize kanji radicals, not kanji as a whole
    2) Memorize each kanji as a collection radicals, not strokes
    3) Use mnemonic devices to remember which radicals a kanji consists of and how they're arranged relative to each other
    4) Memorize kanji in the order that helps memorization, not frequency of use or grade/JLPT level
    5) Do not waste time memorizing kanji readings at first (personally, I would recommend that you never memorize kanji readings at all... you can incidentally memorize them when you learn vocab)

In retrospect, these points make a lot of sense. Since I don't know any other method that uses a similar system, I'll just recommend Heisig. Or try to learn by rote like everyone naively does at first, get frustrated, give up, then try Heisig.

As a final general note, when memorizing anything, not just kanji, do use SRS. It makes a lot of difference.
    我は怠惰そのものである。

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply