Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why does Satan want Rin?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why does Satan want Rin?

Wasn't it implied that demons possess people who have weak will or in a weak mental state? Rin seems to be very confident and strong-willed so maybe that is why Satan didn't possess him yet.

It took him awhile to possess Shirou since Shirou was able to keep him at bay with his strong resolution until he wavered after Rin's father statement.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member BexXx's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with candy, if Satan wanted to posses Rin he would have already. But I don't think it's completely out of the question, I'm sure satan has an alternative idea for Rin that we don't know yet. I had wondered too if demons could posses other demons but then Rin is half human so I'm guessing if is possible but I don't think Satan will try it (maybe down the line if his current plans for Rin fail he will give it a go). I think whatever Satan is planning to do with his son it'll be some way of using him by appealing to his demonic side, maybe he hopes to mentally break him once he's stronger so that he follow's satan's will.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My question is, who did Satan possess when he knocked up Rin's mom? It must have been someone super strong because that takes a little while. And his mom should have been much more powerful than a lower second class exorcist if she could.... "handle"..... Satan. And has it been confirmed if the Blue Night is when Rin's mom got pregnant?

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree with candy and BexXx. Remember, Rin isn't half-human half-demon, just a demon with a vessel uniquely his. This could be retconned later into half-human half-demon to lead to interesting plotlines too.

Still, how could Satan mentally break Rin? The kid's pretty strong, he weathered the death of his only guardian and the times when his sib and friends turned against him.

Not necessarily. All that needed to happen was that in the middle of you-know-what, Yuri Egin's partner got possessed and then died, but not before affecting the kids. Yuri Egin might not have even known that her kids would haven been affected (though that would've been stupid, I think someone else already said it but I don't get why she didn't just terminate the pregnancy- oh wait, maybe she didn't because she wanted a remnant of her partner who had died in the middle of sex! Still, golly gee that's confusing...)
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member candy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

lol i still don't know how kazue is going to explain to us exactly what happened to bring rin and yukio into this world! what an akward situation that must be!
    if satan did want to persuade rin's demon side (not the totally psycho mode that attacks friend and foe regardless of what the hell is going on but a totally sane one that can plan and stuff like that) what would rin's demon side be like.....and what would be satan's bargaining chip. but i think if satan was going to make a deal with rin i think it would have something to do with 'join me and i will let your friends go unharmed' you know like a hostage situation, cause i think in that situation rin would do anything to save them (the people who accepted him for what he is)

Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

White Silver King I was wondering the same thing. I'm figuring that there's something more behind it that still has to come to light. I considered that maybe Shiro was the guy that got possessed cuz Yukio did say that he was the only person who could handle being possessed by Satan (despite the fact that he did die during possession when Satan came for Rin) and then if that was the case that was why he adopted the kids and brought them up cuz they should have been his kids and he didn't want to lose that remaining part of her.

earthforge everyone has something that can break them, no matter how strong they are and as candy said it could be something like his friends' lives in danger, which would be the most likely sorta case.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BleachOD's Avatar
    Kneeling @ My Ichigo Shrine, Thanking My Lucky Stars For The Day I Met Ichigo
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by earthforge View Post
    Totally agree with candy and BexXx. Remember, Rin isn't half-human half-demon, just a demon with a vessel uniquely his. This could be retconned later into half-human half-demon to lead to interesting plotlines too.

Still, how could Satan mentally break Rin? The kid's pretty strong, he weathered the death of his only guardian and the times when his sib and friends turned against him.

Not necessarily. All that needed to happen was that in the middle of you-know-what, Yuri Egin's partner got possessed and then died, but not before affecting the kids. Yuri Egin might not have even known that her kids would haven been affected (though that would've been stupid, I think someone else already said it but I don't get why she didn't just terminate the pregnancy- oh wait, maybe she didn't because she wanted a remnant of her partner who had died in the middle of sex! Still, golly gee that's confusing...)
    I could swear that Rin is the child of a human mother and Satan, and that is why he's special. Because he is a half breed
    Because he has the demon blood of Satan and the blood of a human
    My question is, is Memphisto and Amaimon also half-breeds or true demons?
    I think that Rin is the key to the gates of Gehenna and Assiah. Unlike the others, I believe that he can exist in both worlds and he can also make it so that the worlds are no longer separate.. I think if Satan had managed to drag him back to Gehenna the two worlds would no longer be separate...but it's just a theory that I am basing on what Satan said when he tried to drag him through the gate.

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
    I could swear that Rin is the child of a human mother and Satan, and that is why he's special. Because he is a half breed
    You're right, Rin is the son of the man that Satan possessed and a human woman, but that doesn't mean he's half demon. That would mean that Rin would be inherently weaker than Satan, but from what we've been told, he has the capability to be just as powerful. From the description of how demons possess things in Assiah, I conclude that Rin is a demon and inheritor of all Satan's powers, but unlike the only other demon with those powers, Satan, Rin has a vessel in Assiah that can withstand the blue flames.

Quote Quote:
    Er, I'm forgetting her name, but someone in the hangout thread mentioned that Amaimon is a demon possessing a human male. Dunno for certain about Mephisto, but given his talk about being a "gentledemon", I bet ya that he's also a full demon.

Quote Quote:
    I think that Rin is the key to the gates of Gehenna and Assiah. Unlike the others, I believe that he can exist in both worlds and he can also make it so that the worlds are no longer separate.. I think if Satan had managed to drag him back to Gehenna the two worlds would no longer be separate...but it's just a theory that I am basing on what Satan said when he tried to drag him through the gate.
    That's an interesting theory. So would the action of bringing Rin to Gehenna bring the worlds together and the demons could travel to assiah? Or would Rin be a pawn to travel between the worlds? Either way, fascinating theory, I would like to hear more!
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kryanka's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White Silver King View Post
    And his mom should have been much more powerful than a lower second class exorcist if she could.... "handle"..... Satan. And has it been confirmed if the Blue Night is when Rin's mom got pregnant?
    My theory is that she was (is?) very talented but still very young and for that reason her rank was so low.

And no, impregnation happening during the Blue Night is just a theory, which is IMHO incorrect. After reading the chapter with Tatsuma's memoirs I think the Blue Night happened almost a year after Rin's birth.

I like this theory! Something that exists in both worlds may be a bridge between them.

Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

I do believe that is what makes Rin unique but I sorta began to think there was even a little more to it than that... Mephisto and Amaimon confuse me I think they are both full demons, well I did until I saw what earthforge said. I remember back when Amaimon was first introduced Mephisto gave him a special key so that he could enter Assiah. Also that the two both call Satan 'father' and Rin 'brother' would suggest that they're direct sons of Satan but then how can they manifest themselves in Assiah and Rin being the most powerful would suggest otherwise.

Your theory though BleachOD is really interesting I'd never considered something like that before and maybe Satan could be planning something along those lines like as Kryanka said a bridge.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

My biggest issue with the idea that Satan wants Rin for his Assiah body is why did Satan try to drag Rin back to Gehenna with him? Would the Gehenna Gate have preserved his body or destroyed it? Satan mentioned he had to destroy Kurikara first so that Rin could return, I had thought that was because Rin needed to be a demon for some reason to survive the trip to Gehenna.
    I don't think that Gehenna Gate would destroy Rin's body. As you said and as mentioned on the summary, Satan needs a "vessel". He is too strong to possess ordinary humans with his power (shown by how Fujimoto's body bleeding all over right away after being possessed). Maybe Rin does need his demon power to be able to move to Gehenna. I think by taking Rin to Gehenna, Satan hopes to be able to control him more. As a creature from both Gehenna and Assiah, I imagine that Rin wouldn't have trouble jumping from one world to another, even more if he has retained his demon power.

But l3git mentions a point, can demons possess other demons? I don't think so, but I wonder if the stronger demon can force out another from a vessel in Assiah.
    The idea of a stronger demon possessing another demon sounds a bit weird to me at the moment. I think what Satan wants is actually a body which can freely travel from one world to another and a mind which obeys him without having him to possess it (like a son who obeys his father's commands), considering that he might break that body with his strength.

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Defade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Amaimon has been directly stated in the omake portion of the manga to be possessing a human male's body, and we can assume the same extends to Mephistos as well. So they're both full demons that are possessing a body to manifest in Assiah. Rin has the potential to be much more powerful than both of them simply because he inherited Satan's flames. Interestingly, in the raw version of chapter one, 'blood' was the furigana beside 'flame'. Perhaps it is possible that Mephistos and Amaimon aren't sons of Satan in the biological sense, with Satan simply being their 'Father', aka Creator, while Rin is the only son of Satan that has been biologically 'conceived', and thus, inheriting Satan's blood.

Also, Astaroth refers to Satan as 'father' in chapter 1 as well(with the furigana being 'Satan'), so it's possible that all Kings mentioned thus far(Amaimon of the Earth, Astaroth of Decay, Azazel of the Air, Egyn of the Water, Iblis of the Fire, Beelzebub of the Insect) are 'sons' of Satan in that sense.
    Last edited by Defade; June 28, 2011 at 02:04 AM.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kryanka's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

I also think Amaimon and Mephistopheles are different kind of "sons" of satan. Maybe, as Defade said they were created, or maybe they were born of demon mother (I wonder if female demons exist) or by osmosis. :|

I wonder if Rin can possess a human. That would be interesting.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, i see Satan and his son one step higher than normal demon both in power or hierarchy. To me, i don't see Rin being possessed by satan or any demon; in the worst case he'd become totally "demonic/psycho" due the nature of his power but his individuality stays. I think satan wants him because of his strenght and wants to control him as a puppet to both wreck havoc in Assiah; to convince him that humans are his enemies since hes born, raised in lies, fuel his rage out. Since his body stays in Assiah, i made the assumption that it also stays in Gehenna. Rin is half-blood, i assume he isn't quite as strong as satan and will eventual needs all of his friends to help him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryanka View Post
    I wonder if Rin can possess a human. That would be interesting.
    Now THAT would be great to see
    Last edited by Malach; July 08, 2011 at 11:46 PM.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree about them being above normal demons, since Rin inherited Satan's power directly. It seems like his power is controlled, or more like, "sealed", with the sheath of his sword, and that "seal" would be broken if he couldn't control his emotions, as what we saw on the moment Fujimoto died and on the last episode of the anime. He is not obsessed, either way, as you said, he'll be a total psycho. In my opinion, he is perfectly a demon, but elements of his body are of human world. That's why it would be perfect if Satan could control Rin, since he would have no problem either in Assiah or Gehenna.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast