Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 756 by cnet128 , Bleach 592 by cnet128
Thread Closed
Page 22 of 134 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 1

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by come come paradise View Post
    It's not exactly a new thing; I started scanlating Naruto early 2008 and his page-count/chapter was already 17 in those days. I'm too lazy to go and figure out when exactly he went from 19 to 17, but it seems he's been enjoying this 'privilege' (or not, idk) for a long time. Maybe he's just more comfortable with that format.

As for your first point I'm not exactly sure, I'd have thought the editors were quite strict when it comes to fitting the story in the number of pages asked. Especially since the logistics (printing and all that) are most likely decided before, and changing them last-minute would screw a lot of things up. So I doubt it's a choice coming from the mangaka.
    Yeah,i know it's been for long,it started somewhere after the Kakuzu/Hidan arc.He cut the pagenumber down to 17 for some reason and now he's having trouble managing even that.It's just that it geels rather odd.

You are partially right.I remember reading somewhere,maybe even in Bakuman,that you have to somehow manage this and that it's one of the challenges of being a weekly manga-ka.But i also remember that once,Kishimoto extended the amount of chapters in volume 43 from 11 to 13,because he felt that it had a better conclusion this way.It ended up costing more and he even apologized,but it was still possible.So i guess,if you are as influential as Kishimoto,Oda or Togashi,you will be allowed to do stuff like that.I don't know for sure either...

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Hangedman's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

from sasaki twitter, Cover Issue 29:
    Last edited by Hangedman; June 21, 2011 at 05:17 AM.

4. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kubukurin's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

At least Nura is the bigger of the characters from the other series with a color page on this issue, it's something.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

From Sasaki's Tweeter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki-Hisashi
    We have 2 new series starting issue 30 and 31. I will tweet in detail about those new series later this week.

7. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Hangedman's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromcd View Post
    From Sasaki's Tweeter
    maybe Kusou Saiki?

Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't belive such a cool gintama cover

I as a gintama fan am always unsatisfacted with its covers but this one is pretty awesom

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

2 new series at once is never a good thing imo.
    Its either one of them getting butcher or both.
    I hope that at least it lasts long.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raDar's Avatar
    Country
    Sunspear
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what now, the 6th and 7th new series this year?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

WSJ's strategy is to keep flinging new series at the wall until they stick. Enigma and Magico stuck, but everything else fell to the floor, so they're just going to keep trying again. I don't think they care if new series end up cannibalizing each other. WSJ is sort of a survival of the fittest type of magazine.

Two new series means that another series is a goner. Most likely Grimm. And there's a reeeeally good chance that one of those new series is a soccer manga (which would be... the fifth one in a row?).

Negative Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    I think this is good strategies; it is good to keep mangakas in survival.

Magazine and Sunday have too many ongoing series and they just keep adding more new series without ending anything. It is not good just giving chance to mangakas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
    Two new series means that another series is a goner. Most likely Grimm. And there's a reeeeally good chance that one of those new series is a soccer manga (which would be... the fifth one in a row?).
    I also think Hokenshitsu has a chance to end because based on recent chapter, it looks like the author is trying to wrap up the story. It is good to add new sport series; but this time, I hope they put different sport genre (other than soccer).
    Last edited by Negative Syndicate; June 21, 2011 at 10:04 AM.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll go into hibernation for 15-17 weeks (the time it usually takes for a new manga to end) if one of the new series is a soccer manga. We've had enough of it. Soccer in manga isn't as interesting as other sports, because it's so damn normal. Would be cool to have a really good soccer manga though, but evidently nobody manages to make one.

End of "soccer-manga-rage".

Gintama cover was really cool. I don't really look forward to the new series anymore. It's been so many bad ones, and they're all ended before reaching 20 chapters. With Enigma and Magico as exceptions for now of course.

The worst with series ending this early is that the scanlation/translation is never finished, so I end up with an unfinished manga (which I really hate).
    [IMG]http://bit.ly/wvfDFh[/IMG]
    [url="http://bit.ly/qint1K"][IMG]http://bit.ly/zcJSPa[/IMG][/url][url="http://twitter.com/#!/ZayCon92"][IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/ZayCon/Twitter.jpg[/IMG][/url][url="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ZayCon&show=0&order=4"][IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/ZayCon/Anime.jpg[/IMG][/url]

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

About WSM I can certainly see your point as the magazine has about 32 mangas right now which is rather insane although the prints per magazine is about half as that of WSJ which kinda leads to the question where does the budget to pay the mangaka and all other things comes from?

About WSS to say that they have to many mangas I wouldn't be so sure - right now they stand on 25 IIRC and one is always absent or at least it has been so in the last 10 issues and they did end series as same as the new 4 series that got there in this year plus they just ended Defense Devil which makes room for another manga, in relation to circulation which is about 80% of that of WSM the amount of series is about similar, but here the one which make less sense as possible is WSJ which has more circulation than both magazines combined yet fewer series than both which makes a bit of questions come to mind.

It's understandable that in order to consume as little resources as possible even if the circulation is growing very fast there shouldn't be more series since that would consume instead of a little more paper - a lot more paper since every series is printed the number of times the magazine is printed which is extra money that might not be a good investment in the short run if the series is not a hit and there is extra wage to mangaka but I think that's probably their chump change.

It seems as though we can compare the state in WSJ somewhat to the capitalistic method that you are free to succeed and free to fall as high or as low as possible it seems and although I have no basis whatsoever to that I would guess that WSM is somewhat like a cooperative which divides is money more equally or else I don't see how does magazine or even company (Kodansha which has many magazines) sustains itself.

How do you think it would affect WSJ if it increased it's series number to 25 instead of 21 and what do you think it would indicate?

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    Yeah,i know it's been for long,it started somewhere after the Kakuzu/Hidan arc.He cut the pagenumber down to 17 for some reason and now he's having trouble managing even that.It's just that it geels rather odd.

You are partially right.I remember reading somewhere,maybe even in Bakuman,that you have to somehow manage this and that it's one of the challenges of being a weekly manga-ka.But i also remember that once,Kishimoto extended the amount of chapters in volume 43 from 11 to 13,because he felt that it had a better conclusion this way.It ended up costing more and he even apologized,but it was still possible.So i guess,if you are as influential as Kishimoto,Oda or Togashi,you will be allowed to do stuff like that.I don't know for sure either...
    I believe volume 43 had extra chapters so the entire Sasuke/Itachi fight would fit, for continuities sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    New series are usually added in consecutive issues. Every once in a while they only add one series but it is usually done in consecutive issues. With the new volumes coming out, I suspect Hunter x Hunter will be added in issue 32.

Quote Originally Posted by raDar View Post
    That's what now, the 6th and 7th new series this year?
    There are typically three new series per quarter. Sometimes two, sometimes four, but typically three. Jump normally adds twelve series a year, on average.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kubukurin's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year, 8 series started, only one sourvive (Enigma).
    Two years ago, 14 series started. Only 4 survived (Kuroko, Beelze, Medaka, Shinigami).
    Tree years ago, 13 series started, 5 series surived (Psyren, Mago, Toriko, Bakuman, Inumaru).

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by come come paradise
    I'm too lazy to go and figure out when exactly he went from 19 to 17, but it seems he's been enjoying this 'privilege' (or not, idk) for a long time. Maybe he's just more comfortable with that format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun
    Its chapter 286, I won't forget that number never ever!!!!!! I mean, around that time I was the only one on pl board who commented on this.. back in the day I was really mad at Kishi that he pull 2 pages down count, wrrr
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

23. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
Thread Closed
Page 22 of 134 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 ... LastLast