Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 1

MH's Most Fashionable Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Shinsatsu's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by jorped View Post
    I recommend you that
    The anime only now started, so it take you away to long to start understanding and be aware of Toriko story and the potential that it has.
    Toriko is definitely a good manga to read
    I will definitely read them now.
    I started D gray Man but I don't like the pace so I'm gonna put them on hold and read Toriko. I wasn't following the manga rankings lately so I didn't see that Toriko is doing so good... Which means that it's a must-read.
    Thanks for the advice J.*

I think that One Piece is going to come back quickly after the end of the flashback. So, this was Toriko's chance to dominate :P
    Last edited by Shinsatsu; June 01, 2011 at 07:01 AM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Jaiden82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Reborn is in fourth this week hooray for that.

Beelzebub in third, yay! Didn't see it beating Bakuman though.

Magico staying strong.

Bleach is in ninth, its slowly creeping back up.

Happy where Mago's at right now right, hope it continue's to do well and stay out of the bottom.

Pretty good TOC this week.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dagnel's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asclepius View Post
    @ccp: i don't know if the author chose the word from spanish or portuguese.
    - from spanish: you pronounce it as ma-hee-co
    - from portuguese: you pronounce it as the J in french words. English doesn't have a similar sound.

I don't know if the word magico exists in other languages.
    Actually the word magico exists in Italian. The words seems to come from the ancient latin, precisely from the adjective magicus which comes from the ancient greek word μάγος (magos). The correct pronunciation is like the English word magic. For those of you who know the IPA alphabet: /ˈmadʒiko/ <- I think it should be right :P maybe I made a mistake with the vowels lenght..

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Toriko really deserved the first place. It's been great lately!

One Piece is kind of boring now, compared to what it could be. But that doesn't mean that it's not epic anyway.

Nice to see Beelze that high, but I think Bakuman deserved the place before it.

Reborn doesnt deserve the fourth place. Been really boring for a long time now.

Bleach is still in the place where it belongs for now. Tite Kubo should prove what he can soon, and come up with some good story.

Overall a great TOC, but sad to se Enigma that low.
    [IMG]http://bit.ly/wvfDFh[/IMG]
    [url="http://bit.ly/qint1K"][IMG]http://bit.ly/zcJSPa[/IMG][/url][url="http://twitter.com/#!/ZayCon92"][IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/ZayCon/Twitter.jpg[/IMG][/url][url="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ZayCon&show=0&order=4"][IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/ZayCon/Anime.jpg[/IMG][/url]

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't get why people have to celebrate OP not being in first, the flashback has had it's moments but a lot of series tend to do as such and there are always ups and downs in the magazine regardless.

Meanwhile, I'm not really surprised by Reborn's boost as of late since...well, I notice that it's pretty much one of those series that is really bound by certain characters doing things that give it more popularity...just like Bleach. No matter how putrid or interesting the story gets, the absence of these characters tends to make less people vote or acknowledge it leading to lower TOC. It's stupid and pathetic but it is a means of survival in a magazine as competitive as this.

8. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member come come paradise's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerAtaru View Post
    Meanwhile, I'm not really surprised by Reborn's boost as of late since...well, I notice that it's pretty much one of those series that is really bound by certain characters doing things that give it more popularity...
    I have to agree with this. I won't say I'm disappointed because for me these good ratings coincide with the chapters which turned this arc into a real one, not a lame sequence of one-on-one-fights with antagonists pulled out of nowhere and no real villain. But it's true they also coincide with huge moments of fanservice, I guess Hibari or Mukuro can single-handedly make the manga win 10 places in the TOC ^^" Not to mention that thing Tsuna and Enma have going on.

Meh, if it gets Lead CP soon I'll still be happy ~

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerAtaru View Post

Meanwhile, I'm not really surprised by Reborn's boost as of late since...well, I notice that it's pretty much one of those series that is really bound by certain characters doing things that give it more popularity...just like Bleach. No matter how putrid or interesting the story gets, the absence of these characters tends to make less people vote or acknowledge it leading to lower TOC. It's stupid and pathetic but it is a means of survival in a magazine as competitive as this.
    i am usually the one who criticize khr, but i have to disagree with you on this one. ^^

Assuming you are talking about chapter 300-301 and 'his appearance', it is not a desperate move from Amano to gain votes imo. Actually, his appearance had been overshadowed from beginning and is a crucial part of the plot. He will shows up no matter what.
    And honestly, what do you mean by 'fanservice' . Khr is a... peculiar manga in which it becomes 'fanservice' without trying too hard for it. I am talking about the character design and their fashion sense. Series like Fairy Tail has more blatantly obvious attempted fanservices than khr hahaha

If Amano deliberately want to do fanservice she might as well throw everybody into the hot springs (she already did this btw) and gives them cat ears or something xDD

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Asclepius's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dagnel View Post
    Actually the word magico exists in Italian. The words seems to come from the ancient latin, precisely from the adjective magicus which comes from the ancient greek word μάγος (magos). The correct pronunciation is like the English word magic. For those of you who know the IPA alphabet: /ˈmadʒiko/ <- I think it should be right :P maybe I made a mistake with the vowels lenght..
    The word used wasn't greek and wasn't latin. It was based on one of those 3 languages: portuguese, spanish or italian. If there were more words like in Bleach, we'd know for sure.

But, guess what, japaneses don't use any of that. The answer i got from a friend came with a video of this japanese saying Oriko Magica and Madoka Magica. He says "maguica". So kudos for CCP and Oberon, they say maguico and maguica.
    Check at 4:04 when he talks about the volume: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXFYE...ailpage#t=246s

Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

Intl Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Nintakun's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Week!
    Toriko on 1st, forget about the rest!!
    And I don't really complain about One Piece not being in 1st just because of this Flashback. OP is a really awesome manga, but this current Fishman Island arc isn't at the quality level of the rest of the series. =/
    Ok, I just don't Know what to leave in this signature, so.....

Translator profile: Click Here

My Thread: Click Here
    Feel free to ask whatever you want, or do some chatting there

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dagnel's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

The word used wasn't greek and wasn't latin. It was based on one of those 3 languages: portuguese, spanish or italian. If there were more words like in Bleach, we'd know for sure.
    In my reply I meant to say only that the word exists in Italian, and explain where it comes from. It was just a linguistic digression.

But, guess what, japaneses don't use any of that. The answer i got from a friend came with a video of this japanese saying Oriko Magica and Madoka Magica. He says "maguica". So kudos for CCP and Oberon, they say maguico and maguica.
    Check at 4:04 when he talks about the volume: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXFYE...ailpage#t=246s
    Thank you.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R4n View Post
    i am usually the one who criticize khr, but i have to disagree with you on this one. ^^

Assuming you are talking about chapter 300-301 and 'his appearance', it is not a desperate move from Amano to gain votes imo. Actually, his appearance had been overshadowed from beginning and is a crucial part of the plot. He will shows up no matter what.
    And honestly, what do you mean by 'fanservice' . Khr is a... peculiar manga in which it becomes 'fanservice' without trying too hard for it. I am talking about the character design and their fashion sense. Series like Fairy Tail has more blatantly obvious attempted fanservices than khr hahaha

If Amano deliberately want to do fanservice she might as well throw everybody into the hot springs (she already did this btw) and gives them cat ears or something xDD
    I disagree; there are few series as laden with fanservice as KHR is. But as you said it's not the same kind of fanservice as FT, of course you get a bit of lolis and boobs here and there but it's mostly female-oriented fanservice, aka pretty boys in pretty clothes being all gay for each other (which makes my day, no denying it ). Maybe you don't exactly see it but for example Hibari's box-weapon is fan-service in itself, I don't see any reason for it other than make the fangirls go "kawaii ~~!!" Same with Tsuna calling Enma his pride. Or Mukuro and his "cute Chrome"s. Or.. Yeah, you get the picture.

Not exactly sure who's reappearance you were talking about, but if it's Mukuro, I only agree to some extent - yes he was bound to appear soon, but not as soon as he did. There was no reason for him to appear then (except wrap up the arc, which I still don't get), and it seemed very sudden. Seemed like a last desperate attempt to get KHR out of the bottom to me.

@Asclepius: Thanks for the precision, but if Finestela says the katakana spell out Ma-ji-ko, then I guess that's how it's meant to be pronounced =)
    Last edited by come come paradise; June 01, 2011 at 08:56 AM.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member BianchiChrome's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello!

I don't believe that Amano is doing anything to try boost the rankings for Reborn! one way or another. If she was then she would have thrown in the Varia at some point during the fight but they were only at the Inheritance Ceremony at the beginning and Fran's cameo does not count. I feel that she is telling the story the way that she wants with this arc because she wants it to go the way it is going. I think that is what is making it interesting.

No matter what Hibari does it is going to be fan service in some sort of way because so many fans like him. I don't see Mukuro coming in at the time that he did as some sort of way to get the ranking up. It was just the time for him to fight. I believe that each of the fights have been to help each guardian to take the position that they were meant to fill within the family.

I also believe that Amano likes the Simon family. I think that she will do much to show who their true selves are after this part of the arc is over. I feel that this is the introduction to a much bigger arc that is to come.

I am glad to see the rankings getting stronger. Now could they just do the anime soon.
    Last edited by BianchiChrome; June 01, 2011 at 09:12 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

@ ccp: haha how could i forget pompadourbird. Ah okay that is fanservice-y. xD
    But i still think khr level of fanservice is fairly tame as compared to other series... both shoujo and shounen. i still won't label it fanservice manga.

Spoiler show

and i still think khr is quite crappy in terms of plot anyway (i am comparing it to Pluto and Real. Btw anyone please don't say it is unfair to compare it to seinen. i think definition of good plot shouldn't be bound by genre... otherwise one would be implying shounen has crappier plot than seinen. Which is unjustified), so i am not one of those rabid, blind fandumbs.
    Last edited by R4n; June 01, 2011 at 09:20 AM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BianchiChrome View Post
    Hello!

I don't believe that Amano is doing anything to try boost the rankings for Reborn! one way or another. If she was then she would have thrown in the Varia at some point during the fight but they were only at the Inheritance Ceremony at the beginning and Fran's cameo does not count. I feel that she is telling the story the way that she wants with this arc because she wants it to go the way it is going. I think that is what is making it interesting.

No matter what Hibari does it is going to be fan service in some sort of way because so many fans like him. I don't see Mukuro coming in at the time that he did as some sort of way to get the ranking up. It was just the time for him to fight. I believe that each of the fights have been to help each guardian to take the position that they were meant to fill within the family.

I also believe that Amano likes the Simon family. I think that she will do much to show who their true selves are after this part of the arc is over. I feel that this is the introduction to a much bigger arc that is to come.

I am glad to see the rankings getting stronger. Now could they just do the anime soon.
    Now now, every author in Jump has to be careful of rankings, I'm sure Amano has enough humility to realize that ^^" And good thing the Varia didn't appear, now that would've been over the top. Still not putting it past her. I was already meh about the Kokuyo gang.

In any case, we see the result: good rankings. That's something to be happy about

Quote Originally Posted by R4n View Post
    @ ccp: haha how could i forget pompadourbird. Ah okay that is fanservice-y. xD
    But i still think khr level of fanservice is fairly tame as compared to other series... both shoujo and shounen. i still won't label it fanservice manga.

Spoiler show

and i still think khr is quite crappy in terms of plot anyway (i am comparing it to Pluto and Real. Btw anyone please don't say it is unfair to compare it to seinen. i think definition of good plot shouldn't be bound by genre... otherwise one would be implying shounen has crappier plot than seinen. Which is unjustified), so i am not one of those rabid, blind fandumbs.
    Say what you want, I think Enma's shirt opening every time he uses an attack is the equivalent of Mashima's upskirt shots xP It's just a different kind of fanservice.

Spoiler show

The plot... Yeah, it is a bit de-structured. Okay, a lot xD But what saves it is that Amano has some truly brilliant ideas from time to time, you've got to give her that.

Tl;dr - I think KHR's fanservice has direct effects on its TOC ranks, and vice-versa. Well that's how I'm explaining its recent rise anyway.
    Last edited by come come paradise; June 01, 2011 at 09:47 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner xRyStaRx's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Well bottom 5 is reasonable, Sengoku armors is fine, but can't see it to become anything big, since whole theme is overused (Sengoku), i'm still bit suprised about Torikos popularity, ive only read few of the latest chapters and currently watching the anime, so far it's good, but i wouldn't put it better place than OP/naruto/Reborn or even bleach.

Thread Closed
Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast