Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Ryuuguuden by Matsunaga Toyokazu

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Ryuuguuden by Matsunaga Toyokazu

Ryuuguuden

By: Matsunaga Toyokazu
    Genre: Adult, Fantasy, Psychological, Seinen
    Serialized In: Ikki

Info from Mangaupdates

Spoiler show

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ryuuguuden by Matsunaga Toyokazu

Best manga.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I really liked the fairy tale that this manga is based of and how the mangaka used his imaginary to try and go more into depth with the whole thing. However with the back story well in this case future story he did not do a good job, or maybe it is just me that did not like the old queen being displayed as an innocent girl. >_>

Perhaps even the mad scientist guy was what threw me off. Generally that part should have been left for the end.

---------- Post added October 16, 2011 at 03:25 AM ---------- Previous post was October 11, 2011 at 04:56 PM ----------

Ok I have finished it! Oh my god! I literally cried! I mean such emotion I could not handle myself from it! Volume 3 was awesome I love these stories that are timeless and the ending is just timeless as well! The battle with Hiroshi was shorter in the end than I expect it. In the end it was all about love and feelings! Ani eating the kid was really unexpected to me, but he looked so cool! The fading of Kohada and Bo was something else huh? Really lovely, this manga is now in my top 10.

Side note: When Taro said that the mad old guy likes his time machine more I laughed, I mean it was a moment that just appeared right in the middle of the most serious situation, wonderful!

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

glad that final volume turned it around for you!

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Ani's fight with Hiroshi was a bit rushed or well not that much centered on. I think as far as Hiroshi's role into everything in the end it turned out he had a bitter end. Well he really did began to be as crazy as he can towards the end, but at the beginning he was sort of playing innocent. I felt sorry for him at times. The third volume with Ani eating the baby and turning into "Super Rabbit" was the seal deal for everything. Also I would really have loved to seen more with Bo and his fish girl, in the end it was sad but lovely done. They could have spend more time together. Ani was cool as a lone wolf so no problem with Kohada for my part. And that old man in the first volume was really mysterious never really found out who he was.

Wow, the manga still has me asking questions?
    Last edited by Josef K.; October 16, 2011 at 02:44 PM.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha yeah I really have to reread this, it's been literally ages. Gonna load it onto my iPad right now!

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

This manga is a masterpiece.
    Thanks to Mangascreener for bringing it to non Japanese readers.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished my reread.
    A masterpiece indeed. Just as I remembered it.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It does leave some questions unanswered I think. But generally all great works do, like I have a few questions as I said. Why was that first old man so important, or is that just to portray the girls from the brothel as luring the men in? Why was Hiroshi so easily defeated when the whole thing was supposed to center around him? He never did get redeemed? Or was he just too evil in the end? Why were there no scenes in the brothel again after the time line changed? Or was there not anything important?

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure which specific old man you mean... Urashima Taro himself?
    I wouldn't say Hiroshi was easily defeated, he had been fighting Ani (or should I say Rabbitman Justice) for a while even in the Dragon Palace before. As for redemption, since time reset itself we just assume he kept on living like he would have if he never met Ani who gave him the idea to seize power. A frustrated, but harmless little fishboy.
    I like that Matsunaga isn't the type who feels he needs to explain everything in detail; it's something more mainstream series indulge in too much, or use as a red herring to unnecessarily prolong itself.
    As with Bakune Young, the ending again is absolutely perfect here. Resounding, simple, leaving morality up in the air.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it was either when Bo wandered off, he was hiding and saw one of the women in the brothel tell an older man "Come on it's time" or something, it seemed like he was resisting, maybe Matsunaga changed his mind?
    It was off screen though! D:
    I wanted some Superrabbit awesomeness! Apart from when the girls all cheered for him we rarely saw his moments of glory! Well yeah Hiroshi was a great loser in the end in both timelines, he was just not that important in the end. :/
    It's good, I remember LOST(the TV series) was the same for me, and it was in a way perfect as it was. The ending was good all in all.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Denmark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    It does leave some questions unanswered I think. But generally all great works do, like I have a few questions as I said. Why was that first old man so important, or is that just to portray the girls from the brothel as luring the men in? Why was Hiroshi so easily defeated when the whole thing was supposed to center around him? He never did get redeemed? Or was he just too evil in the end? Why were there no scenes in the brothel again after the time line changed? Or was there not anything important?
    Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    I think it was either when Bo wandered off, he was hiding and saw one of the women in the brothel tell an older man "Come on it's time" or something, it seemed like he was resisting, maybe Matsunaga changed his mind?
    It was off screen though! D:
    I wanted some Superrabbit awesomeness! Apart from when the girls all cheered for him we rarely saw his moments of glory! Well yeah Hiroshi was a great loser in the end in both timelines, he was just not that important in the end. :/
    It's good, I remember LOST(the TV series) was the same for me, and it was in a way perfect as it was. The ending was good all in all.
    Just read Ryuuguuden (and thanks a lot Josef K, for recommending this in the seinen hangout thread!!!! ) -and I literally couldn't stop reading it! Been reading Ryuuguden and Paperakyu these last two days, just couldn't stop reading.

I never got the feeling that it was supposed to center around Hiroshi. I've felt that the focus was on Bo and Ani and their relationship with one another, and therefore the ending was perfect for me. It ended where it started.

I also felt like Ani and Hiroshi was introduced to one another to change eachother. In the beginning it seemed like Ani wasn't such a caring olderbrother, but due to the threat of Hiroshi he became more protective of Bo (and Kohoda). Hiroshi was in the beginning a somewhat nice guy, but turned vicious after eating the fish-babyboy. I liked the similarities between them - they could have been around the same age and they both chose to eat a fish baby to power up, though for different reasons. Basically, they both changed a lot during the manga.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Now all that's left is to read Bakune Young; probably Matsunaga's most deranged work.

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re-read the manga and it really has all that makes a great manga, good story, characters and a nice touch of humor... also a bunch of subversive/scary stuff made ok by using cute drawing/characters. So a big recommend to all mangafans, and credit again to mangascreener for getting it known (sort of).

I decided to re-read in Japanese this time and actually I had a hard time finding the Ryuguden volumes in Japan, had to ultimately buy the first one as used book. But anyway, looking at the back of the brand new #2-3 books I bought, these were still first editions. So this manga has sold close to nothing in Japan.

Any take on why it failed that bad? Do you think it s due to the kind of subversive plot like tampering with Urashima Taro/depicting a brothel for oyajis, or just the lack of promotion that goes for many series in IKKI?

New Reply