Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 LastLast
Results 796 to 810 of 832

Thread: Tower of God Hangout

  1. #796
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Colombia
    Posts
    3,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Hangout

    He has a nice smile, and looks sympathetic. Nice guy.

    I agree this should be smarter than, for instance, Alpha Viz alternative. In short, and if I understand well this business, if the money comes from the advertisement and commercials, you won't have to deal with scans and you still will be able to earn big money.

    About the babel world, I know he was searching for some Spanish translator some months ago. Likely he could get someone that helped him. Anyway, I wrote Godai, translator from TheCompany and ask him if it was possible to offer my services to SIU (I'm Spanish professional proofreader), and he wrote him but there wasn't any answer. Likely if someone else goes there tomorrow, and by any chance can talk to him again or for the first time, you can offer again my services. I'd be completely happy to help him in any way. This the url of my profile here in MH: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/member.php/166204-ukimix And if necessary I can provide my personal e-mail.

  2. #797
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member syx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    ҂136th Floor
    Country
    Turkey
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Hangout

    Thanks for all those replies guys and sorry for my late reply.

    I understand the whole issue with translations. It's like a double-edged sword, there are pros and cons. But to be honest, I didn't like the line:

    Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Korean's didn't seem all that pleased either,
    Especially in ToG's and any other "free" webtoon's case, you really shouldn't be upset about (international) people reading fan-made translations, since there are/were no official translations. No reason to be displeased, seriously.

  3. #798
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member strixflash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Hangout

    Noblesse duo didn't visited France but they held a signing event on the release of Noblesse books....


    Noblesse Forever!

  4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  5. #799
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member abc1233's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Country
    Winterfell
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    985
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Hangout

    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Now that they are doing English scans they will benefit in a big way. But sometimes authors and publishers see traffic numbers to various online readers and feel jilted by the fact that it's out there like that. Like the scanlations are stealing readers away, instead of focusing on how many more people are reading who otherwise couldn't. That's why we get nervous when fans get authors or publishers thinking about unofficial scanlations.

    Fortunately, Naver is doing the smart thing with Naver Webtoon.

    Instead of trying to shut down big time manhwa scanlators like MangaCow and EasyGoingScans (which I think is what niichan and I both would like to avoid seeing) it's offering a friendly streamlined alternative, and hopefully in the future replacing them entirely, with something that allows us western fans to read and the korean authors to still control, and profit from, our reading experience. It's a win for everybody.

    ---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

    How good did his english seem? I seem to recall he's had some issues with english wording in the past.

    Also, I mean if you think about it he was recovering from illness, traveling halfway across the world(which is always tiring), and surrounded by people who speak a languages he probably doesn't understand too well talking to him. In his shoes I'd probably have been catatonic after about 10 mins.
    I can appreciate that, but with the whole Korean webtoon situation it feels a bit different, compared to say big name mangas. Previously there was no way for international fans to enjoy the works so whatever traffic mangacow/TC got wouldn't have been taken away from Naver anyway, so don't really see why they would have felt too jilted by it. Now it seems the situation has changed, it's fantastic that Naver is catering to international fans, but at the same time there is the chance that the releases turn out to be poor quality and very slow, and Naver will most likely go after scanlators more vigorously now that they are direct competitors and are doing more harm than good to them.

  6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  7. #800
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Colombia
    Posts
    3,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Hangout

    An interesting interview from one of the major newspaper company: http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/culture/book/607516.html

    Translation of Bamboo Forest from Batoto

    Quote Quote:
    There's almost no one who knows manhwaga Lee Jong Hui's name. He sets never-seen-before-records on the portal site by uploading webtoon named 'Tower of God' every monday as penname 'SIU'. He used to refuse all the meetings with fans, interviews with media, and concentrated only on his works up until now and he opens a signing event in Germany, not Korea.
    "What should I do if no one comes? It's my first signing event."

    As if to ridicule his worries, hundreds of European webtoon fans came to see him at Frankfurter book fair, Korean site. He signed for nearly two hours, but couldn't handle the long line. Next day, on following signing event, they had to hand out waiting number tickets. The German who lives in Berlin 'Omut(26)' said "I came all the way to Frankfurter because I heard that the author of 'Tower of God' is coming" and he printed images of all the characters appearing in the series and asked the author to sign on them. There were many fans from all over the world, who were already familiar with webtoon from unofficial fan translations.

    'Tower of God' is SIU's first piece. He majored in Art Educations in university and went on military services. He met a sun-im(superior) who liked manhwa, so they started to draw manhwa together. He drew whatever character came to his mind on spring note. It was about 'the boy who came into the tower chasing after a girl who was his everything, and the Tower which tests the boy'. By the time he came out, the number of notebooks he used became 10. The plot inside it became the frame of 'tower of god'.

    After he returned to university as a third year, he started uploading his comics at 'Challenge Comic' corner at Naver. 'Challeng Comic' corner is a place where anyone can upload their pieces. The competition there is fierce, but there's no financial reward. Here, over 120 thousand people who dream to be manhwaga uploads more than 80 thousand webtoons every month. The chances of becoming a webtoon artist is around 0.03%. SIU was one of them too. In fact, some pieces SIU uploaded before 'Tower of God' as tests disappeared quietly.

    For over 6 months, while he was uploading comic on his own, Naver contacted him and asked him if he wanted to upload the ToG officially. "I though someone was playing pranks on me" he remembers. That's how he debuted. And Tower of God gained tremendous fame really quickly.

    In Frankfurter Book fair, the authors other than SIU appeared. Son Jae Ho& Lee Gwang Soo of 'Noblesse'. Park Yong Je of 'God of Highschool', all of them from 'Challenge Comic' corner. Son Jae Ho used to write novels, Lee Gwang Soo used to do a lot of part time jobs such as chauffeur services, night snack delivery services, and Park Yong Je had to endure as nameless artist for 2 and half years until the comics they uploaded at 'Challange Comic' board received love from everyone and started to upload the comics officially

    He says there's something he's reminded of when he draws. "I went to school with smart kids who scores very high in exams for my teacher internship program. I asked the kids to draw a line and express their current states based on it. Most kids drew themselves under the line and drew other kids above the line." He said he wanted to talk about the world tainted with competition, the people who are suffering hardships because they were separated up and down.

    "Being manhwaga is good because you don't need money, but need only pen and paper to draw a luxurious cruise or big castles." he says. "I'm liking manhwa more than when I first started drawing prototypes during military services" His manhwa life is just starting from now on.

  8. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
  9. #801
    Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Hangout

    The final round of the Community Awards have finally started! Everything will be decided now, so it would be great if as many people as possible make some time to vote in the different categories =)

  10. #802
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member mup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Hangout

    what i really want to see is an anime of TOG
    Last edited by mup; October 25, 2013 at 09:37 PM.

  11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  12. #803
    Banned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    Croatia
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,949
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Hangout

    Me too, but I don't think I would like the soundtrack. See, when I decided to start reading TOG, I just happened to listen to a free album. And when I started reading, this was playing:
    Spoiler show

    Now I can't even read the chapter without listening to this same song. It rocked during the Crown Game. It's nice for someone who likes liquid dnb. For me, it just fit in with the setting perfectly.

  13. #804
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Country
    Portugal
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,829
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Hangout

    I wish korea start some anime industries and take Breaker nd TOG in their list.I mean seriously Korea has some awesome manhwa and they are doing zilch compared to japanese in marketing them in stuffs like anime or dramas

  14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  15. #805
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member abc1233's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Country
    Winterfell
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    985
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Hangout

    Quote Originally Posted by shaheer View Post
    I wish korea start some anime industries and take Breaker nd TOG in their list.I mean seriously Korea has some awesome manhwa and they are doing zilch compared to japanese in marketing them in stuffs like anime or dramas
    Yeah, and it's not even a case of them lacking studios to do so. Interest seems to be picking up in the Korean animation industry and I guess the more popular manwha like TOG/Breaker get, the more demand there will be for producing animes for them and so the greater the likelihood will be that it will happen. The recent english Naver translations is a welcome sign that international demand is being noticed. Guess all we can do for now is keep spreading the TOG love.

  16. #806
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Country
    Portugal
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,829
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Hangout

    God knows when the idea will hit them and they will start producing animes. I actually saw one Korean anime once (2 yrs ago) and thought this is the start of a great era now all my noted manhwas will be animated..but i guess i was asking for too much.
    For anyone interested, the name of the anime is "Wonderful Days" its pretty good.

  17. #807
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Colombia
    Posts
    3,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 166 Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    The S1 people were all given tracking rings, so FUG would know where they are, under the guise of them being friendship rings.

    The "Prince of the Red Light District" thing was just a bad translation. That wouldn't even make sense in the first place, because nothing about Wangnan is connected to that type of stuff.
    Then what is the proper translation of that bubble and how can be sure TheCompany's version is wrong?

  18. #808
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 166 Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    Then what is the proper translation of that bubble and how can be sure TheCompany's version is wrong?
    I haven't looked back at the chapter specifically, but iirc, that wasn't The Company's tl. There was some Korean word and it could be translated into that or something, but it didn't necessarily mean that. Now, if it really is the correct tl, it would probably imply that Wangnan grew up in a red light district and that
    Spoiler show
    It's hard to say, however, because it was such an odd comment, even if it is the literal English translation.

    Spoiler show

  19. #809
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Colombia
    Posts
    3,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 166 Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    I haven't looked back at the chapter specifically, but iirc, that wasn't The Company's tl. There was some Korean word and it could be translated into that or something, but it didn't necessarily mean that. Now, if it really is the correct tl, it would probably imply that Wangnan grew up in a red light district and that
    Spoiler show
    It's hard to say, however, because it was such an odd comment, even if it is the literal English translation.
    You're wrong there. It would mean that Wangnan's mother is the queen of prostitutes. Accuracy please, accuracy!

    It's the company version, and that title is even quoted in wikia. I'll take it as right translation until some evidence appears. After all, 'red light' could mean something different.
    Last edited by ukimix; November 12, 2013 at 03:00 PM.

  20. #810
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member abc1233's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Country
    Winterfell
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    985
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 166 Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    I haven't looked back at the chapter specifically, but iirc, that wasn't The Company's tl. There was some Korean word and it could be translated into that or something, but it didn't necessarily mean that. Now, if it really is the correct tl, it would probably imply that Wangnan grew up in a red light district and that
    Spoiler show
    It's hard to say, however, because it was such an odd comment, even if it is the literal English translation.
    RLD could be referring to that, but since the colour red seems to be associated with Zahard (and Enryu I guess), it could mean something else. and yeah, Prince of the Red Light District was in TC's translation. This is going slightly off-topic though.

New Reply
Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts