Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: College Football Thread

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: College Football Thread

I'm not sure the college AD's are at blame for the whole thing - UT's college AD when we went to play Penn State, said that the trip actually wasn't that profitable because it took a lot of money just to make the preparations and the trip itself. They barely make enough to have a profit. 'Course I don't know if he was just BSing me or not, but it sounds as though he was being genuine. 'Course that's just the Outback Bowl, might be that the bigger bowls pay more. But overall I don't think it's all that profitable - at least for the colleges themselves that participate, more for the sponsors.

What I'd really like to see at least is for the top eight teams in the poll to battle it out in a playoff immediately following the end of all their seasons, and the rest of the teams in the poll can play in bowls if they want.

Venom65437

Well, a lot of schools make too much money from one bowl game to give them up. Sure a big time school like UT doesn't make much money from a "lesser" (if any game that doesn't count for anything can be better than another) bowl, then they would say, the Sugar Bowl, but the potential is there. These schools aren't going to turn that down.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Nevertheless, it's just not a good sport if there's no decided champion at the end of it.

Venom65437

I agree completely Phil. Until their is a playoff, college football will be my least favorite sport. I think it's a total joke we have an unbeaten team that probably won't be ranked in the top 5 in the final polls. We could of had a great second round with UF, LSU, Boise State, and USC, but we'll never know.

Think March Madness is nuts? A college football playoff would be insane. Ohio State had 51 days off between games, there was plenty of time to play. And it's Christmas break too, so none of that, they'll miss school crap. They aren't in school. I guess basketball players are smart enough to take a month off school though...

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

having march madness for football would be such a boon for the gambling rings around the country. I completely agree though. I just cant get into college football (not a huge fan of any college sports. I guess the pros do it for me) especially when virtually none of the bowl games matter at all.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member qwan3356's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Venom65437
    I agree completely Phil. Until their is a playoff, college football will be my least favorite sport. I think it's a total joke we have an unbeaten team that probably won't be ranked in the top 5 in the final polls. We could of had a great second round with UF, LSU, Boise State, and USC, but we'll never know.

Think March Madness is nuts? A college football playoff would be insane. Ohio State had 51 days off between games, there was plenty of time to play. And it's Christmas break too, so none of that, they'll miss school crap. They aren't in school. I guess basketball players are smart enough to take a month off school though...

I agree somewhat, i still like college football, they play with more passion, they don't get paid or anything, they play to prove themselves to the pros for contracts.

on the subject of Boise State, they prolly won't be ranked in the top 7, just because they come from a weak conf. but they totally deserve it after playing like they did.

ON the subject of a playoff, that would just be the greatest, but those AD's are too stuck on the money and on what their streak is at the end of the season. end on a win or a loss. u know

Venom65437

Ok, I 100 billion percent do NOT agree college players play with more passion. In pro football, they're playing for their livelihood. In college, as long as they don't mess up they keep their free ride. Sure college players want to play in the pros, but most college players already KNOW if they have a legit shot to play in the pros. Like Boise State for example... none of those players went there with SERIOUS aspirations about the NFL. College players with serious NFL aspirations are going to the SEC, Florida State, Michigan, OSU, USC, Miami, etc.

In pro if you don't give your all you are OUT... not just off the team, but usually out of the league. At every level there are players who try as hard as they can, and others who don't do anything. I do not think college players try harder, or have more passion. I mean, college players usually jump the second they have the chance to go to the NFL.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to disagree there Venom. I tend to think most college players do play with more passion, especially if they know that'll probably be the end of the line for them, and they want to make their schools look good (lots of pride involved). You hear it from the pros all the time about how much they love their alma mater.

In the pros, I tend to think most players are tired and weary of the sport and sometimes even hate their coaches, but for the sake of their livelihood and family life, as you mentioned, they "do the best they can and trudge on." I mean, I know there are some players who love football in despite of it, and that's why they're the best. But in college, they have 100 players on every roster, and the starters are usually playing because they're full of fire, not because they're the most paid.

Venom65437

The starters are playing because they're the best players. And you really can't say you honestly believe there aren't athletes out there who are just on the team for the "free ride." I mean, get serious.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

These athletes aren't starting, though. And I tend to think the most paid starters in pro football do usually get more leverage than low-paid players, especially when quarterbacking is concerned.

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree and say there's lots of passion involved in both sports and leave it at that. It really more or less varies between teams, and I do believe that whoever wins the National Championship or the Super Bowl is a team full of passion either way.

Venom65437

No doubt starting players have more leverage... but they're better players too...

and you don't want to keep arguing about it? Fine!

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

We could go on forever though if we did

Venom65437

Well I'm having fun!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Uchiha Slayer's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Venom65437 View Post
    Ok, I 100 billion percent do NOT agree college players play with more passion. In pro football, they're playing for their livelihood. In college, as long as they don't mess up they keep their free ride. Sure college players want to play in the pros, but most college players already KNOW if they have a legit shot to play in the pros. Like Boise State for example... none of those players went there with SERIOUS aspirations about the NFL. College players with serious NFL aspirations are going to the SEC, Florida State, Michigan, OSU, USC, Miami, etc.

In pro if you don't give your all you are OUT... not just off the team, but usually out of the league. At every level there are players who try as hard as they can, and others who don't do anything. I do not think college players try harder, or have more passion. I mean, college players usually jump the second they have the chance to go to the NFL.
    I'v played college football and been around the nfl sorda, more less talk to some nfl players. When you say the word PASSION your talking about passion for the game not the money. So i would have to disagree, most college players play at a school where tradition is pride and that same pride carries on the football field. Yes a football team is not just made up of scholorship players, some are walk ons. That kids who have to pay their way through school and yet get the living shit knock out of them in practice. They dont play for the free ride, they play for the passion of the game. School tradition and pride= love and passion for the game.

On the NFL side, a hand full play for the passion but mostly play for the check. In the NFL nobody plays on a team because of the tradition or passion, they play on a team because that team owner pays the bills. No tradition,passion or pride. Just think after somebody wins the super bowl, you would think everybody would stay to win another. But some players opt out and go for the pay check somewhere else. The NFL is a buisness, college football is tradition. Sorry thats just the way I look at it. True football fans no where the passion is, thats in college football
    <br />Dont look me in the eyes or you&#039;ll be sorry

Venom65437

Well in college football a lot of players leave as soon as they're draft eligible. So they don't get paid to play in college, but they're still just playing to get to that pay check.

And please don't start with "true football fans" crap. No one is more of a "true" football fan because they think there is more passion in one league or another.

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast