Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49

Thread: College Football Thread

  1. #31
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Uchiha Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: College Football Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Venom65437 View Post
    Well in college football a lot of players leave as soon as they're draft eligible. So they don't get paid to play in college, but they're still just playing to get to that pay check.

    And please don't start with "true football fans" crap. No one is more of a "true" football fan because they think there is more passion in one league or another.

    I wouldnt say a lot, you have some. Theirs never a wide selection of underclass football players who go pro...Put it this way you have a choice of schools to attend when your a good football player, NFL no choice.

    With the true passion thing, I didnt say anything about somebody being more of a "true" football fan because there is more passoin in one league than the another. I was saying a "true" football fan knows where true passion is at. Get it right.
    <br />Dont look me in the eyes or you&#039;ll be sorry

  2. #32
    Venom65437
    Guest

    Re: College Football Thread

    Well when you say this:

    True football fans no where the passion is, thats in college football


    It sounds, to ME anyway, like you're saying true football fans know that the passion is only in college football. Which why I said what I said.

    Either way, this is a fruitless argument. I'm not going to change your mind, and I promise you you won't change mine, so lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that, ok?

  3. #33
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Uchiha Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs Up Re: College Football Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Venom65437 View Post
    Well when you say this:

    True football fans no where the passion is, thats in college football


    It sounds, to ME anyway, like you're saying true football fans know that the passion is only in college football. Which why I said what I said.

    Either way, this is a fruitless argument. I'm not going to change your mind, and I promise you you won't change mine, so lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that, ok?
    cool with me, preciate the discussion, no hard feelings...
    <br />Dont look me in the eyes or you&#039;ll be sorry

  4. #34
    Venom65437
    Guest

    Re: College Football Thread

    No problem, I still love you.

  5. #35
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member miyi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Country
    United States
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: College Football Thread

    Well, I agree with both of you in two things:

    [1]In NFL, it's more competitive since there's money and contracts involved, so in that sense, there is "passion" because you have to work extremely hard just to stay ahead of the game.

    [2] In College football, there's less pressure to do well since there's no money involved, however, those with NFL ambitions are still working their ass off to ensure they have a legitimate shot at going Pro, so yeah, that's "passion". In addition, there's also this thing called "school spirits", so for example, if you're a Florida Gators player and you are faithful/loyal to your college, there's a lot of school "pride" and "spirit" that makes school rivalries exciting in college football, so yeah, that is also called "passion".

    But on the other hand, not all schools have the same level of "passion", and not all individual college player have the same level of "passion", school pride or spirit. For example, if you play for a mid major conference and your team sucks, then more than likely you are there to play without "passion".

    [3] So basically, it depends what kind of "passion" we're talking about, and I say it exists in both the college and Pro level, and you can't really compare the two leagues because the nature of the expectation they have for their players are different altogether.

    In other news, Brady Quinn, Adrian Peterson, Jemarcus Russel, etc. -- they're all going Pro.

    So for this next season, who do you guys think is likely to win the Heisman?

    I think it'll be John David Booty of USC. And the fact that they have a big chance of winning the championship this season.
    Last edited by miyi; April 11, 2007 at 05:02 PM.

  6. #36
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Uchiha Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: College Football Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by miyi View Post
    Well, I agree with both of you in two things:

    [1]In NFL, it's more competitive since there's money and contracts involved, so in that sense, there is "passion" because you have to work extremely hard just to stay ahead of the game.

    [2] In College football, there's less pressure to do well since there's no money involved, however, those with NFL ambitions are still working their ass off to ensure they have a legitimate shot at going Pro, so yeah, that's "passion". In addition, there's also this thing called "school spirits", so for example, if you're a Florida Gators player and you are faithful/loyal to your college, there's a lot of school "pride" and "spirit" that makes school rivalries exciting in college football, so yeah, that is also called "passion".

    But on the other hand, not all schools have the same level of "passion", and not all individual college player have the same level of "passion", school pride or spirit. For example, if you play for a mid major conference and your team sucks, then more than likely you are there to play without "passion".

    [3] So basically, it depends what kind of "passion" we're talking about, and I say it exists in both the college and Pro level, and you can't really compare the two leagues because the nature of the expectation they have for their players are different altogether.

    In other news, Brady Quinn, Adrian Peterson, Jemarcus Russel, etc. -- they're all going Pro.

    So for this next season, who do you guys think is likely to win the Heisman?

    I think it'll be John David Booty of USC. And the fact that they have a big chance of winning the championship this season.
    I couldnt said it no better....Damn near took the words out of my mouth...

    Universty of South Carolina had their scrimage game today and it looks like Chris Smelley might be the new starting QB...Go Gamecocks!!!

    P.S. The real USC
    <br />Dont look me in the eyes or you&#039;ll be sorry

  7. #37
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member miyi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Country
    United States
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: College Football Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Venom65437 View Post
    Like Boise State for example... none of those players went there with SERIOUS aspirations about the NFL. College players with serious NFL aspirations are going to the SEC, Florida State, Michigan, OSU, USC, Miami, etc.
    Or, the Boise State players were High School football players that had ambitions to play for the NFL, but wasn't good enough to be recruited by the major power conferences.

    I'm sure each individual college player, regardless of what school he ended up in, have ambitions to go to the NFL. It's just the nature of recruitment expectations, some players are more fortunate than others.

    Anyway, I don't care if Boise State is a mid major, but damn they can play as good as anybody, as they have demonstrated convincingly against the Oklahoma Sooners. That was a beautiful game, probably the best game I've seen in the last 5-10 years of College football.

    Quote Quote:
    Universty of South Carolina had their scrimage game today and it looks like Chris Smelley might be the new starting QB...Go Gamecocks!!!

    P.S. The real USC
    ^the real USC eh? very funny.
    Last edited by miyi; April 14, 2007 at 06:25 PM.

  8. #38
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Uchiha Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mad Re: College Football Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by miyi View Post
    ^the real USC eh? very funny.
    uuuuuuuummmmmm, not funny

    College football is almost here...Time for spurriur and the cocks to win the SEC
    Last edited by Uchiha Slayer; July 28, 2007 at 08:00 PM.
    <br />Dont look me in the eyes or you&#039;ll be sorry

  9. #39
    Vintage Reboot 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity vintagemistakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: College Football Thread

    Alright... time to revive this thread...

    Its college Football time!!!

    I know each and everyone of you is as excited as I am, so lets talk some college Football...

    What I want to know is who you got in the BCS championship and how will your favorite team fair this year?

    As for the BCS championship I think I'm going with USC ... actually I know I'm picking them. the other team right now is pretty much up for debate. Probably go with Florida or Oklahoma. I just got to see more of a team first before I choose... preseason polls are rather useless IMO and as something as random as college football its hard to make a solid guess right now. After 3-4 weeks I'll have a solid pick...

    Anyways I'm Michigan man... even though I never went to the school, its maze and blue all the way...

    At first I thought that my team might be a respectable 6-6 this season...if you take into consideration all that they lost... but after watching them on Saturday... I think I'm leaning more towards a 3-9 season. I mean, not only are they instituting an entire new offense(Pros style to the Spread) they also lost 4 year starters at QB and RB, the number one draft pick and two of the most deadly WR's in college football. Plus whatever they lost on defense is going to hurt them since the are going to have to depend on that this year.

    it's going to be a tough year for my wolverines, so I guess I'll just have to look towards the future and hope Coach Rodriguez can deliver

  10. #40
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member miyi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Country
    United States
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: College Football Thread

    I'll try to keep up with college football this year, although with a hectic schedule, I'll be limited to focusing only on the PAC10, since I live in this region.

    I think USC has a shot at a BCS championship, but it's still too early in the season to predict.

    How about those Bruins? (Gold Knight, if you're seeing this, I know it must have crushed you to see your Volunteers beat by us, lol)

    anyway, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

  11. #41
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Fugitive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Country
    Antarctica
    Posts
    274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: College Football Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemistakes View Post
    Alright... time to revive this thread...

    Its college Football time!!!
    it's going to be a tough year for my wolverines, so I guess I'll just have to look towards the future and hope Coach Rodriguez can deliver
    As long as they give a whooping to Notre Dame. Does anyone even care about this rivalry anymore? Considering that both teams completely suck.

    Go State! (MSU, hahaha!)

  12. #42
    Vintage Reboot 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity vintagemistakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: College Football Thread

    This is just a bad year for that rivalry, but I do agree that it has lost some of its luster. The reason for that I think is more on the part of Notre Dame then it is on Michigan. Michigan will be back to being a top 20 team and consistently playing on New Years day or later very soon. Notre Dame on the other hand, won't be. Their program has lost all of the mystique and glamor that it used to have... especially with the younger generations. Unless its your alma matar and/or you were raised in a Notre Dame household is there anyone under the age of 25-30 that really cares about the Fightin' Irish anymore? It's going to take a insanely charismatic coach(Weis is definitely not one of them) to lure top players away from the USC's, Oklahomas, and Florida type schools. You compile that with the tough admissions aspect of the school and they're going to have a hard time competing year in and year out with the top level teams.

  13. #43
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner kehpped.crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The South, USA
    Country
    United States
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: College Football Thread

    Why did this thread die?! I was having so much fun reading it...

    Anyway, as a "girl", I'm not even going to pretend to know how to talk the talk. All I do know is that I enjoy college football and will be sad when the season's over.

    Crappy as the BCS is, who do you think is going to the national championship? Or who do you want to see?

    As an SEC girl, I'm all for three-years-in-a-row SEC-team national champs - although maybe not if it's Florida, but that's mainly because I'm Dawg. I guess I'll wait until the rankings come out tomorrow. I AM looking forward to the 'Bama/Gators game next-next week. That's almost like a National Championship game right there...I'm rooting for Alabama, of course. Even if I am still bitter towards them.

    How about that beating Oklahoma gave Texas Tech? I didn't think it'd be that bad.

    And could someone please tell me why USC keeps getting ranked so high? I mean, other than the obvious ::coughmoneycough:: reasons ::coughpoliticscough::.

    I hope this thread doesn't die! I like reading what you guys have to say.
    The Kehpped Crusader is currently musing over:

    ...life. The universe. And everything.

  14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  15. #44
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Way down South in the land of cotton
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: College Football Thread

    Well, it's bowl season, and I got my ticket to the Capital One Bowl to see my Dawgs play. Unfortunately, Florida made it to the national championship game. Does anyone else think that it's strange that USC (the real one, not the one in Columbia, South Carolina) wasn't even considered in the hunt for the national championship.

    Their only loss came early in the season against a solid Oregon State team who was playing at home. Florida lost to a good Ole Miss team, but they were playing in the Swamp. Both teams have a win against a team that ended up in a BCS game (Alabama for Florida and Ohio State for USC). Couple that with the fact that both the Pac-10 and SEC were very down this year, and the resumes of both teams look startlingly similar. Maybe I'm letting my hatred for all things orange and blue cloud my vision.

    In any event, I'm glad I get to see Knowshon Moreno and Matt Stafford play in there last game for UGA. I hope the defense wakes up, so my boy, Rennie Curran, doesn't have his effort go to waste. GO DAWGS! SIC SPARTY!!!
    Last edited by LB56; December 09, 2008 at 04:51 PM.

  16. #45
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Uchiha Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: College Football Thread

    Gamecocks knock off formely #1 Alabama...Bama can role back home now with there loss!!!!

    GO GAMECOCKS!!!!
    <br />Dont look me in the eyes or you&#039;ll be sorry

New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts