Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)

View Poll Results: How do you like 3D

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a revolution

1 4.35%
  • I really enjoy it

1 4.35%
  • It's ok from time to time

10 43.48%
  • It's a gadget, I'd rather continue to watch in 2D

11 47.83%
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 3D or not 3D ?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3D or not 3D ?

Ustegius
    5-7 Euro is the price without discount. With it it might be even less, though we don't often have discounts for 3D. At least not in all cinemas.

Yes, I agree. When you have prices like you posted... it's hardly worth not only to watch 3D, but even go to the cinema. It's obviously better to buy DVD.

I don't know if he would actually make them in 3D, but still that's what he planed to do after watching Avatar.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I must be old, as here in the U.S.,

I remember movie tickets being like $ 5-6, now only children tickets and "matinee" (before ~ 5 pm) are $ 5-6.

2D Tickets now are like $ 8-10

3D Tickets are like $ 10-13

the normal 2D tickets are already too much... and 3D tickets are even more costly... grr !!!

-------------------

I thought George Lucas announced that he was done with doing "big blockbuster" movies, and wanted to concentrate on smaller and more personal movies. Though this doesn't neccessarily conflict with what has been mentioned, such as the remaking/re-doing of the other Star Wars, as that could be a personal interest of his, lol.

As for that (Star Wars), I don't see what the big deal is, as long as the old ones are still available to be seen-rented too. That way you can have your pick between the new and old, and able to compare them too.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that's a surprise. I always thought that the difference in prices isn't that big. Of course we have more or less the same process on 3D movies if we count high-class cinemas without any discounts, but 2D tickets are way too expensive. I don't even know if it's worth going to the cinema with such prices.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ustegius View Post
    Seriously? 7e 3D with discount? I don't live in Portugal, but in Finland. And regular 2D ticket is about 8e and 3D 13,5e. So 3D is hardly worth, especially when DVDs usually cost the ~16e when new...

And please, no. Someone stop Lucas!!! Don't let him touch the original three!!!
    Agreed. Don't get me wrong George Lucas deserves all the credit in the world for making the original movies but the prequels proved that he just doesn't have the magic anymore.

If he wants them redone he needs to hand the reigns to somebody who really has a feel for making movies in the new modern era of cinema and just stay out of it. Get Bryan Singer to do it, even if you just have to bury him up to his neck in money. Or if they can't get him maybe Christopher Nolan. Somebody who would see the insertion of a character like JarJar in the screenplay and be like "Hell no, we will not be doing that!"
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member rudorofu's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, when I watch 3D movies, after a few minutes, my eyes adjust to the screen enough for me to realize that there doesn't seem to be a difference between non 3D and 3D movies :S Is that just me...? So, it doesn't matter whether or not it's in 3D graphics because either way, it will look like a normal movie to me.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

they found this as well with gaming... seriously if you're a gamer... once your into the game... do you even realize the graphics you're looking at?

the experiment showed: NO

and indeed a modern RPG (with all of its amazing graphics-cinematics) is no more impressive than my old school NES and SNES RPGs, hehe

when you're playing the game, you're playing the game, not oogling the graphics of the game... it's almost as if you go "graphics blind".

now, don't get me completely wrong... I need "decent" graphics, such as I can't stand uber old school B&W tv shows compared to colored tv shows, lol.

-----------------

as for fanservice... the better the graphics the better, hehe And here, is where 3D is prefered, lol

That 3D cartoon Beowulf movie, when it zoomed in on the 3D cleavage of the busty tavern-hall maid, or whatever she was, lol. RAWR !!! But aside from this fanservice use of 3D, it completely sucks, is lame-awful-stupid !!!
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 30, 2012 at 01:59 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 16 bit console emulators installed on this laptop, and I have to say I prefer the colourful graphics of Megadrive games to ugly, realistic FPS games where everything's grey and brown.

It seems like the 3DS is a flop because the 3D effect makes people feel ill and you can't use it with its other gimmick, the motion controls. I'd turn the effect off like everyone else does.

Sadly, I couldn't buy a Nintendo DS in the duty free area, only a 3DS. And I'm not paying that for some region locked piece of shit with gimmicks I'll never use, not least the analog slider where the d-pad should be.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rudorofu View Post
    Personally, when I watch 3D movies, after a few minutes, my eyes adjust to the screen enough for me to realize that there doesn't seem to be a difference between non 3D and 3D movies :S Is that just me...? So, it doesn't matter whether or not it's in 3D graphics because either way, it will look like a normal movie to me.
    I don't know if this is related to the issue you have or not but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that 3D is really designed for people without a particularly dominate eye. So if one eye is particularly dominate the 3D effect just doesn't work like it's supposed to.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Red Dog's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer 2D to 3D,as long as it sticks with their "Live Action" movies(with mocap actors)and the 3D does not invade the Japanimation industry,I'm fine with this.

Don't mind watching one 3D movie from time to time I acknowledge that it's not my cup of Coffee

Nonetheless one of my favorite movies Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence mixes traditional 2D with high end 3D technologies(Computer Generated Imagery)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBVr_7I4FtE
    Zettai-Teki Seigi/Absolute Justice

Bobbas Veltez 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

I've actually seen a lot of films in 3D since it has been introduced, and I'd have to say a good majority of them could have done without it. After a while my eyes begin to hurt from wearing the glasses, but that may just be me and those cheap plastic glasses you get from AMC/ODEON. Another thing that bothers a lot of people with regards to 3D is the ticket prices which are, in most cases and countries, quite absurd. And as Ustegius points out, you can get brand new DVDs at a usually cheaper price than paying for those tickets. Which isn't really doing the movie industry any service at all, it means a lot of people will much rather wait for the home releases of the film than going to cinema.

I read a few years ago an article that interviewed Spielberg and Peter Jackson during their production of Tintin, they shared their views on the whole 2D/3D debacle. You can read it here.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

No 3D. It's totally unnecessary, unless it's something like Avatar. I prefer 2D, especially because the 3D isn't even worth the price. I miss the old red-n-blue 3D, they actually looked three-dimensional. Current 3D just makes the objects pop out a bit from the background....

Reading the link goldb posted, I agree with Jackson and Spielberg. Some movies should be 3D, but only if they suit it. Not every single movie needs to be turned into a 3D, especially when 3D doesn't offer anything visually better. Most 3D nowadays aren't even done well enough anyway... though I did spend tons of money to watch Jurassic Park 3D. <_<

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with goldb about my eyes hurting... They should realise this, and they will fear people stop going to the movies because of this and I suspect, unless they provide a more comfortable technology, the thing we have now won't last.

Anyways, I always consider the 3D tech at the cinema to be faker than acceptable (personally.) It's a clever little trick, poloarising light, but it inadvertently makes everything dark and gives you this isolating feeling from the media... Though the 3DS is yet another clever trick and also even more so limiting, I actually prefer that much more than 3D movies because it feels much more natural, provided you don't move your head relative to the screen...

I reckon the best fake 3D will come from glasses that is fitted with two monitors, one for each eye, adjusted according to your vision. Because that's more or less how our real eyes work. I'd definitely puke everywhere from virtual motion sickness with those on...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner BeyondAnother's Avatar
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally, am not a fan of it cause after a while it messes with my eyes
    <a href=http://m.imgur.com/account/PurpleMistyRain/images/ZzFmP6S target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://m.imgur.com/account/PurpleMis...images/ZzFmP6S</a>

"Burnin' bridges one by one, descending closer to the sun"

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member TStew's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow I am actually surprised of all the anti 3D comments. Can't say anyone I've talked to recently doesnt like 3D in the movies. If the movie is available in 3D I always go for it, even better if IMAX 3D. True that some movies you don't gain much from the 3D effect but most of the movies I watch are sci-fi / fantasy / etc which has a lot of cgi that seems to make a bigger difference with 3D. Can't say that its ever bothered my eyes, or caused headaches or anything like that. Got my son a 3DS a couple years back and I was blown away with the little thing doing 3D without having to fiddle with glasses and such, though I only played with it a few times when it was new and never since. But I never messed with 3D tv's or anything, didnt want to spend the extra on it, I'll save 3D for the movies.
    T~Stew

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I already wear glasses for my bad eyes. To view 3D, I need to put 2 pairs of glasses which I find rather unpleasant.
    Often in the movie, there will be one or two moments every 5-10 minutes to say "OHHH that's 3D".

It's a gadget, it's uncomfortable, some people have headaches with it & the number of movies which were filmed with 3D in mind are few & it's more expensive.
    I bought a 60'' LED TV without 3D & it was only 999 euros (SHARP is doing this). If I had to buy the same with 3D, I was far above 2000 euros ... Same goes with movie tickets.

It was fun the first few times I've seen it because it was new but that's it.
    Last edited by zelllogan; January 01, 2014 at 07:59 AM.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2