Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 72 of 88 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1316

Thread: The “Looking For” Manga Thread

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The “looking for” manga thread

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    I'm looking for cyber-punk manga...can anyone recommend me something....please recommend more, because there's a change I might've read it
    Well, going with the standard recommendations for this genre...

-> AKIRA -- All time classic, one of the greatest series of all times.
    -> Battle Angel Alita + BAA:Last Order -- Masterpiece with one of the best lead characters in the history of Manga.
    -> Practically everything ever written by Nihei Tsutomu, i.e. BLAME, BioMega, NOiSE, Abara, etc. -- You can't spell "Cyberpunk" without "Nihei", even though it might look like you could! xD But you just can't.
    -> EDEN - It's an Endless World -- Endo Hiroki's big hit work, intelligent and deep from beginning till end.
    -> Shirow Masamune's two Cyberpunk hits Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell -- Dense and brilliant, though I'd rather recommend the Anime version for both of those series.

But just like I said, they're all just kinda the standard must-reads that come to my mind... if Biopunk is also working for you I could offer some more not so well-known ones, like:

-> Dorohedoro -- Shocking!ly entertaining title written by one of Nihei's former assistants
    -> Ultra Heaven -- One of my favorite series of all times: one hell of a dystopian drug trip.

Hope there's at least one or two you didn't know yet. x(
    Last edited by Mr. Prince; July 06, 2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Mardock Scramble is very good too. It's based on a series of novels, which were also adapted into an anime movie, with at least one more movie planned.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a good series that deals with law and have lawyers in it?
    It has to be logical ofc.

It'll be good if the cases are actually well written and the mystery is good.
    Might be asking a little too much but I'll give any law or lawyer related series a try.
    I know about defense devil but I don't find myself liking it.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BakaHaze's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Defense devil: the actual credibility of the "Law cases" are rather poor, and relies thoroughly on ecchi and stuff. Not that interesting.

Also I don't think you'll find any interesting ones dealing with that at all, after I took a look at Baka-Updates.

Although with the idea of justice I think that Kurosagi is an interesting one...
    ~Haze - 羡慕嫉妒恨! ^^ ~嶺上開花!!~

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for a short, completed series. Preferably no more than 5 or 6 volumes long. Seinen or Shonen. It can't have been canceled. It has to have had a proper and intended ending. Licensed in English is a bonus. A perfect example of what I am looking for would be Planetes.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Heh. Akira fits the bill. 6 volumes, well known classic, extremely good.

8. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking for a short seinen Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms would be good. It's a one volume manga about the bombing of Hiroshima and how it effected the survivors. It is one of the saddest, most beautiful manga ever written in my opinion. And it is licensed in English, one of the many great titles Last Gasp has licensed.

Don't know many manga about lawyers, personally. Maybe the Phoenix Wright manga I can't think of anything with a court room setting either.

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Well, going with the standard recommendations for this genre...

-> AKIRA -- All time classic, one of the greatest series of all times.
    -> Battle Angel Alita + BAA:Last Order -- Masterpiece with one of the best lead characters in the history of Manga.
    -> Practically everything ever written by Nihei Tsutomu, i.e. BLAME, BioMega, NOiSE, Abara, etc. -- You can't spell "Cyberpunk" without "Nihei", even though it might look like you could! xD But you just can't.
    -> EDEN - It's an Endless World -- Endo Hiroki's big hit work, intelligent and deep from beginning till end.
    -> Shirow Masamune's two Cyberpunk hits Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell -- Dense and brilliant, though I'd rather recommend the Anime version for both of those series.

But just like I said, they're all just kinda the standard must-reads that come to my mind... if Biopunk is also working for you I could offer some more not so well-known ones, like:

-> Dorohedoro -- Shocking!ly entertaining title written by one of Nihei's former assistants
    -> Ultra Heaven -- One of my favorite series of all times: one hell of a dystopian drug trip.

Hope there's at least one or two you didn't know yet. x(
    Nice...I read half of them, but the rest look good...judging from the title, the most appeaing are Appleseed and Eden...and biopunk...well it's not really my taste, but I will definitely check them out...I'm on a sci0fi reading trip, so anything is welcome...thanks a lot!

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    I'm looking for a short, completed series. Preferably no more than 5 or 6 volumes long. Seinen or Shonen. It can't have been canceled. It has to have had a proper and intended ending. Licensed in English is a bonus. A perfect example of what I am looking for would be Planetes.
    Ever tried one-shot stuff? There are plenty out there...just try a search on mangatraders and titles will pop up

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    Ever tried one-shot stuff? There are plenty out there...just try a search on mangatraders and titles will pop up
    Yeah, I have read a ton of one shots. I was really looking for stuff that I could buy that wouldn't hurt my wallet too bad.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a nice story, mystery, with characters having sad past and such and struggle to 'move' on, don't mind if its shojo, shonen or seinin. Character development, maybe some romance, fantasy (if possible) something either like Gakuen Ouji or Yozakur Quartet ^^

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Rozen maiden gives Jun a tragic past, I guess.

I can't think of any others right now. but the ending of the first series just pisses me off...

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BakaHaze View Post
    Rozen maiden gives Jun a tragic past, I guess.

I can't think of any others right now. but the ending of the first series just pisses me off...
    Oh thanks Its a good start ^^ ill try that one =]

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hrm, I was thinking, with the sad past stuff, does it have to fully dominate/affect the character deeply?

I mean, many manga's have characters with dark pasts which become slowly unravelled, but it's not obvious they are trying to escape it. Also, do revenge manga's count?

Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BakaHaze View Post
    Hrm, I was thinking, with the sad past stuff, does it have to fully dominate/affect the character deeply?

I mean, many manga's have characters with dark pasts which become slowly unravelled, but it's not obvious they are trying to escape it. Also, do revenge manga's count?
    it doesnt have to dominate it can be just explanatory or character development ^^ and yes revenge counts, they're some of the coolest plot when revenge is involved ><

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Carp. I was thinking of an anime when I said revenge. It's Gun x Sword, I like it a lot. No idea if there's a manga or whatnot. Gun X Sword is about a guy with a mecha (there exist 7 in the world, i think) out for revenge against a man with a claw; that man killed his wife. Accompanying him is a girl looking for her brother, also abducted by the man with the claw. Yeah.

There is another good revenge story, Blood Alone. Main Chara's looking for revenge against the vampire which took his sister.

I know sket Dance has pretty awesome plot development from a gag comedy start; all the characters have pretty dark pasts.

Those are all the mangas, for now anyways.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 72 of 88 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 ... LastLast