Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Noblesse Hangout Thread

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noblesse Hangout Thread

“A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read.” ~ Mark Twain

I love that quote, but i define a classic as "A masterpiece that can be enjoyed for generations to come.". As opposed to something that is only really enjoyable to the generation it was marketed to. I think a Classic is identified by it's quality and it's ability to endure the test of time.

---------------------------

I think Noblesse, so far at least, doesn't seem like the kind of thing with classic potential.

Don't get me wrong, i love Noblesse and i think it does a large number of things exceedingly well, but it took about the first 100 fairly unfocused chapters for Noblesse to really establish itself. Unfortunately, no matter how perfect it is from here on, that slow beginning is always going to hold it back a little. So i think it will be hard for it to become a true masterpiece.

That being said, i think Noblesse does have the potential to influence many other series for the better, because it has done some stuff with regards to it's characters and story telling which defies the standard manga/manhwa methods.
    • Noblesse trusts it's artwork to convey many things that other series force themselves to say openly.
      A lot of times in manga and manhwa authors don't trust thier ablites to convey emotion through characters faces and posture, which forces them to make characters come out and say everything or use thought bubbles to lay out what they are thinking. Noblesse trust's it's artist to convey subtle things and, not only does it work better than the more conventional methods, it also enriches the overall dialogue because there isn't so much fluff packed into it.
    • Noblesse avoids flashbacks.
      Most comics drown themselves in flashbacks, sometimes making a whole arc a flashback. This is mostly done because the author is making stuff up as he goes along and needs to create "history on the fly" or is not satisfied with just having a character explaining what happened. Noblesse refuses to take the same approach. Characters may "talk about an event" but almost never "see the event". Which is a much more subtle way of doing things and i think it works better.

Basically, i think Noblesse is a very special manhwa but it will have a hard time becoming a classic. Though, i think if it's ever turned into an anime it could easily become a classic in that genre. After all, if Vampire Hunter D can become a classic how could Noblesse possibly not?
    Last edited by Jammin; August 27, 2011 at 12:48 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

2. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Don't get me wrong, i love Noblesse and i think it does a large number of things exceedingly well, but it took about the first 100 fairly unfocused chapters for Noblesse to really establish itself. Unfortunately, no matter how perfect it is from here on, that slow beginning is always going to hold it back a little. So i think it will be hard for it to become a true masterpiece.
    True, the beginning might have been a bit slow and unfocused. I think most series have a slow beginning? They need time to introduce the characters and show hints about the plot after all. I was interested in reading Noblesse more because it has a different organization than other series I've ever read, considering that Noblesse was my first webtoon and first manhwa in general. So maybe it's going to be hard to capture the attention of someone who's frequent on this world of webtoon and manhwa. XD

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    True, the beginning might have been a bit slow and unfocused. I think most series have a slow beginning? They need time to introduce the characters and show hints about the plot after all. I was interested in reading Noblesse more because it has a different organization than other series I've ever read, considering that Noblesse was my first webtoon and first manhwa in general. So maybe it's going to be hard to capture the attention of someone who's frequent on this world of webtoon and manhwa. XD
    Your right most series do have the same flaw, but i would say it gets in they of them becoming classics too.

The beginning of a series is arguably the most important part for snagging new readers. Which matters a great deal when you consider somebody reading it say... 10 years from now.

And i'm not sure that can be blamed on it being a webcomic or manhwa. I've read a good bit of both i haven't noticed them starting any slower than is typical of manga. In fact if i was to rate an overall difference between manga and webcomics/manhwa that i've noticed is art. I think for some reason overall the korean art is better, i have no idea why that would be; but it is what it is.

-----------------------------

By the way on a slightly different note i started reading another webcomic that seems like it might have some potential. It's called "Paladin".

It has stunning artwork and a solid amount of humor, though i'm not sure exactly where the story is going yet(only 14 chapters so far) Seems to be a funny blend of sci-fi and fantasy.

Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

The definition of Classic may vary with person to person. I do agree what Jammin and Phio said above. Noblesse quickly became my favorite due to most of the factors that I have already stated. And as Jammin said, Noblesse does not have bundle of dialogues to portray a certain situation. The ability of the artist to make it understandable us is really appreciable. For me, the less dialogue, also added more Sophistication to the characters, especially Rai <333333333333333 and Franky <333333333333333.

Off-topic *sorry* : Jammin I have created a thread for Paladin few days back. There is another series you may want to try A Fairytale for the Demon Lord.

Made a response in the manhwa hangout ©~Charlie
    Last edited by Charlie; August 26, 2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: fixed link

6. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Noblesse will reach 200 chapters next Tuesday (Korean Time).

Does anyone want to do anything special for the 200th chapter?

I'm not sure if the author or artist will do anything special but I figured we should at least celebrate in our own way.

Any Ideas? If not we can just treat is as another chapter.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I was thinking about this 200-chapter achievement before. My random idea was to compose an e-mail containing members opinions of the series so far and what they wish to see at the upcoming chapters. I'm sure the authors would love to see some support from the readers. It would be even more awesome if we can write in Korean. XD

It might be too complicated to do, though. So if anyone else has more ideas, do let us know! <3

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest trying to set up an annual character popularity poll. See if we could get and accurate ranking of the top 5 or top 10 most popular characters. Like the magazines such as shounen jump occasionally do.

Not sure how you would go about polling that though.....

--------------------------------------------

I suppose you could do a broad poll with all the major characters listed, and give everyone like 10 votes then measure out the top 10 from that.

Then do secondary polls to resolve any ties.
    Last edited by Jammin; August 27, 2011 at 01:09 PM.

12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is the longest sentence Rai has ever said in this series:
    http://egscans.com/Manga_Viewer/Nobl...0-/Chapter_138

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

I made a poll where you can choose multiple people.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noblesse Q/A Thread

the current lord has a soul weapon, otherwise 1) she wouldn't be acknowledged as the lord 2) she won't have proof that shes the PL daughter.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    the current lord has a soul weapon, otherwise 1) she wouldn't be acknowledged as the lord 2) she won't have proof that shes the PL daughter.
    Information regarding the current lord and her soul weapon has been revealed in the past chapters.

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Charlie; August 28, 2011 at 12:36 AM.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    I think this is the longest sentence Rai has ever said in this series:
    http://egscans.com/Manga_Viewer/Nobl...0-/Chapter_138

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

I made a poll where you can choose multiple people.
    I closed that thread since it was identical to an existing one, poll and all.

If you want to take votes from the older thread and modify your thread with a new poll, let me know.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

oh, sorry i did not know that.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to reply without giving away any new information that recently come out.

Added the comments in spoilers. ©~Charlie
    Last edited by Charlie; August 28, 2011 at 12:36 AM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I would suggest trying to set up an annual character popularity poll. See if we could get and accurate ranking of the top 5 or top 10 most popular characters. Like the magazines such as shounen jump occasionally do.

Not sure how you would go about polling that though.....

--------------------------------------------

I suppose you could do a broad poll with all the major characters listed, and give everyone like 10 votes then measure out the top 10 from that.

Then do secondary polls to resolve any ties.
    Well, as Charlie had said, there is actually a poll about popular characters like what you suggested. Favorite characters, that is. XD But thanks for the idea! Perhaps someone else has another idea which can be merged with the information from the poll about popular/favorite character? Or an entirely new idea? <3

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Host Samurai's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

There is something seriously bugging me and that's the fact that I still don't know, if Frankenstein is able link his mind with others? Because IIRC Crombell of all people was able to do so, when Mari was killed by Frankenstein.

Credits:Shinsatsu

New Reply
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast