Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The Battle of the Genres

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The Battle of the Genres

The title is a reference to Jonathan Swift's Battle of the Books. And let me start with that while I introduce the topic for this thread. Basically the battle of the books is what is better, ancient or modern literature, however the battle of the genres aka this thread is for comparing certain seinen series for their genres. Genres include Action, Adventure, Horror, Science Fiction, Slice of Life, Historical, Comedy ect. So what do you prefer in a seinen series? Which of these genres or a mix of them do you prefer when you start a seinen manga?

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Battle of the Genres

I rarely look for a fairy tale/magic seinen. More like, not at all. Elves, etc. I'd expect in a shounen. If, for example I read a seinen containing these (Berserk), it would have been as an added bonus effect, and not that I was particularly searching for it. I picked up Berserk without any idea what the story was all about. It took me a long time to pick up Blade of the Immortal too, because of my aversion to magic stuff, but BOTI doesn't have that too much, I discovered hehe.

I also turn Sci-fi genres down quite often. Or sci-fi punk genres, especially. They bore me, for some reason. I could sit through anime, but reading manga heavily laced with sci-fi, like when I was trying to read the Ghost in the Shell manga, bored me to tears after two chapters or something. :/ Although, I also claim to be reading Gantz and enjoying it.

Horror scares me. Including guro and ero-guro. Never touched the stuff. So a few years ago Ichi the Killer was all the rage, I never gave in to it. Battle Royale I could bear to watch live-action, but not read the manga. Doubt, though I think it was shounen? I finished because it was only two volumes or something, but still, I remember being really scared reading it

When I'm in the mood for seinen, it's usually for the slice of life, or the slice-of-life feel romance and comedy (My Girl, Arakawa Under The Bridge, Genshiken, etc).

What genre would you consider Kokou no Hito under? I love that manga, but it's the only one of its kind in my list, I think.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Battle of the Genres

Berserk does well with the mixture of genres. That is perhaps why many can handle the excessive gore with a bit of fantasy added to it. Though some realistic aspects of it are quite disturbing.

For example I enjoy dark comedy and satire. In most of Matsunaga's works there tends to be vibrations of dark comedy, weirdness, absurd fiction but I really love it! It is perhaps the comedy that gives it not such a grim look. Sci-fi goes well with action, but sci-fi can be a real time waster if it is only for the action that is why I look for a deeper story there.

When going for horror I want more psychological stuff enhanced with the story otherwise it tends to be just scary stuff with nothing underneath.

New Reply