Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairy Tail 240 Discussion

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ero-Sanji's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fairy Tail 240 Spoiler Thread

At the end of the day, it's like what Bittman says, this is how it's done and we just have to deal with it.

Those small blood ice daggers, shouldn't have overwhelmed Ultear seeing her melee capabilities but she was in shock, reacting as a typical vaillain would do when her/his powers are negated, however, experienced as she is she should have been able to evade Gray's special attack. Then we have Ultear's Ice make which seem to deviate from both Leon's and Gray's, hopefully she can win and keep going.
    Fate of Darkness vs Rubber Dream
    Purple Dragon vs Three-sword-Dragon
    Alcohol vs Money
    Lazy Eye vs Eye Lie
    Wrestling Jesus vs Cooking Pervert
    Horseman of Death vs Deer Life
    Decaying Female vs Blooming Demon
    Battleship vs Cyborg
    Gentleman with wings vs Gentleman with bones

THIS BATTLE HAS IT ALL!!!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ifrit's Avatar
    Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoS View Post
    She negated all his magic, and then slammed him to the ground with ease, avoided all of his wild swings.... what more could you ask from her?
    It doesn't matter it's Fairy Tail...he will probably remember when UR made him a cheese cake or something n just start freezing everything LOL Gray Took a shit load of ice magics from Lyon yet he ....u know.
    Dreyar Style

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Or people who actually pay attention to the chapter notice when someone dominates someone else hand to hand and then goes full retard...
    Dear god, she blocked one single attack in hand to hand, so thats dominating? When that obviously didn't work, grey tries something else, but shes a retard because her plan to block the attack (i.e. melting it by fast forwarding it) didn't work, because grey analyzed her magic and came up with a plan?

I can't help but feel bad for you, must be bad to spend a week waiting for a manga just so you can moan mindlessly about it. Unless you like QQing, I guess.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity LoS's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bittman View Post
    LoS, I thought you were one of those Fairy Tail supporters who just enjoyed it for what it was?

But it's still a fun light read right?
    I take it for what it is, I understand the intended audience for this story. However, when you have a character such as Urtear who multiple times now has made a scene of saying, dont underestimate the eldest of the 7 kin and then proceeds to be made a mockery of, it is just kind of foolish. It's funny in itself that she would be flaunting such a title, since she is the eldest of the same group who have had their asses kicked up and down the island.

Quote Originally Posted by Ero-Sanji View Post
    seeing her melee capabilities but she was in shock, reacting as a typical vaillain would do when her/his powers are negated, however, experienced as she is she should have been able to evade Gray's special attack.
    This is EXACTLY what I am saying. Mashima is sending us so many mixed messages it is disturbing. I fear he really doesn't know how he wants to tell this part of the story. He obviously can't write Urtear well, character flaws abound with that one. He needs to make up his mind and stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lozmaster View Post
    Dear god, she blocked one single attack in hand to hand, so thats dominating? When that obviously didn't work, grey tries something else, but shes a retard because her plan to block the attack (i.e. melting it by fast forwarding it) didn't work, because grey analyzed her magic and came up with a plan?
    Read it again smart alec. She physically puts him in his place, avoids his attacks. She is an experienced fighter and has shown analytical skills, but of course when in this situation she has a massive brain fart and completely gaffs what she should do. Mashima literally just showed her reading people and then when someone cuts them self she goes zombie mode from shock and doesn't have a single thought in her head other than to stick an arm out to block it? Where is the battle hardened senior member, where is the calm/collected fighter? It's plain and simple a cop out.
    The OG that ran Bleach for near a decade is no more.
    Cheers to a boss villain, I tip my hat to you Aizen

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bittman View Post
    Can we at least agree it's better than Bleach? Hahahahahahahaha, that's a given. D. Grayman on hiatus is better than Bleach.
    Sorry but that is bullshit... D.grayman is nowhere that great it was at the beginning. It's gone downhill. You can't compare Bleach to Fairy Tail.

But enough off topic.

Fairy Tail is what it is because of the fanservice and the fun. I wouldn't read it otherwise. I like the nakame are your power theme. Gray will win because of his love for Ur.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ero-Sanji's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

This is EXACTLY what I am saying. Mashima is sending us so many mixed messages it is disturbing. I fear he really doesn't know how he wants to tell this part of the story. He obviously can't write Urtear well, character flaws abound with that one. He needs to make up his mind and stick with it.
    I get what you're trying to say, Azuma got cheated on but it's Erza and his defeat was necessary for the others to gain their powers back. But, what happened to Bluenote, this myth-like man that solely changed the outcome of a war? He easily got defeated by Gildartz, which is fine by me, but the way that it was done really destroyed that character and he literary disappeared into thin air.

Now, we have Ultear, my favourite villain; smart, collected, manipulativ and strong as hell. Now as for me the problem isn't that she's unable to avoid certain attacks she previously and obiously would have( I mean the blood ice is no different from Natsu's fire fists, and she had no problem avoiding them), instead what irritates me is that Mashima points at one thing but does the other and I'm afraid Ultear might share the same fate Bluenote did. That is a reputation and self indication of being far stronger than they really are.
    Last edited by Ero-Sanji; June 25, 2011 at 07:31 AM.
    Fate of Darkness vs Rubber Dream
    Purple Dragon vs Three-sword-Dragon
    Alcohol vs Money
    Lazy Eye vs Eye Lie
    Wrestling Jesus vs Cooking Pervert
    Horseman of Death vs Deer Life
    Decaying Female vs Blooming Demon
    Battleship vs Cyborg
    Gentleman with wings vs Gentleman with bones

THIS BATTLE HAS IT ALL!!!

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ninja_Pirate's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

First Mashima made ultear a character with a magic which is like super awesome... since there will be no living magic every magic can be fast forwarded or rewind it to destroy... in previous chapter discussion also i said that ice can be turned into water .... but how the hell mixing of blood (75%water) will not evaporate if fast forwarded...

Mashima gave ultear a power which he cudnt handle story wise.... and came up with a flaw in her magic which is itself flawed ,,, anyways its a fun read.. that's all to it

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys stop comparing Ghost will get angry and i would if i were him.

People like this chapter and people didn't, its true Ur negated his attack at first but then Gray used his brain and got a hit in because he has to give it his all as Ul is not a pushover and he knows it this surprised her and caused her to change tactic thus using ice magic, which isnt a surprise considering who her mum was shocking Gray and getting in a hit.

All in all an exciting chapter, its true though i dont understand the blood thing but i guess it can be taken as part of a living thing. still got to admit the Gray/Ur "i will seal your darkness" was epic.

As i said i believe the tower of paradise will come back in now she probably was kidnapped by them but managed to escape (something had already influenced her badly like i said soemthing zeref had made) she still had not fallen but when she saw her mum had replaced her (it is stated in the manga Ur thought Ul had died) she got angry and was fully influenced by Zeref and turned bad.

Now im not sure who will leave with Zeref if Ul or Hades but i guess Hades has more possibilities as he's too strong even Ul is afraid of his power not wanting to be spotted by his eye. So if Hades loses i will be disappointed, if Ul losses not so much but i like the idea of her and Zeref working together, she's been evil using zeref name from the start so she fits as an antagonist with him.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

My problem with Gray's solution is its basically a blatant contradiction since it pretty much defies logic of what a living thing is especially when you know far better that ice+blood = very dead cells (its common sense that ice crystals that form stab and mince cells so simply put anything blood frozen the way Gray does would mean the cells are dead thus fair game for Arc of time). Some people can go for this suspension of belief others like me simply don't find it easy to swallow. Though I guess we have to give the author some slack after all lets not forget this page which again is a blatant contradiction that is important in the fight with Gray and Ultear:

http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/225/9

I guess Mashima logic just tends to defy common sense since I never thought PLANTS are considered non-living things XD, well he considers frozen blood to be living so one way or another we'll have to accept the convenience of his logic. Doesn't mean though that we have to consider it good writing or he clearly has a knowledge gap when it comes to biology - you decide.

I'd expect a bigger drawback from Gray considering how much blood he would have lost - I mean I really won't expect Gray to win this if his only solution is to form ice magic mixed with blood it has to be a a draw since he's clearly injuring himself as he hurts Ultear so my bet should be a draw (technically Ultear has already lost having to resort to a magic she clearly would despise). However, given all the talk about the so called drawback of using the forbidden magics I certainly haven't seen any recoil from the seven kin - except Azuma - so it doesn't seem like recoil damage has ever been an issue...

Though Ultear still has the upper hand forcing Gray to use close range(?) Ice magic that causes recoil damage for him to use as she can defend herself with Arc of time against normal ice, assuming she has the brains to, while attacking with ice magic on par with his mentor. She has both offense and defense down but hey she's already lost in my book just by using her moms magic - and would be just as bad a victory to win with it.
    Last edited by Hamy; June 25, 2011 at 08:41 AM.

15. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ninja_Pirate's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

I am ok with the story line... i am happy that it is not a one sided match up between ultear and grey... but i think i shud restrict myself to try predicting the next chapter because everytime we predict some logical sequence... ?(though it did turn out right in case of erza for me ) ...and Mashima in desperation to try surprise us throws an illogical thing.. because yes we can't predict that .. lol ...

@Hamy ... the blood cells are dead.. but if a human body is dead doesn't mean she can speed up the process of decomposition for that... and when said living things i guess she totally meant "animal cells" i.e. which has flesh... if we categories things which Mashima must have not given very much thought in.. we can live with it.. and enjoy the manga... but the chapters are not leaving any room for discussion ...

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 1337 haxor's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Well...

Ok seriously now people, AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO REMEMBER SHE FOUGHT FREAKIN ZEREF?

Ultear is not in her prime condition, we have no idea how much magic she used up to defeat Zeref and she came out visibly tired of that battle.

Do you think that she was manipulating Gray just for the lulz? She is smarter than that, she wanted to avoid a risky battle in her weakened state but Gray suddenly grew a brain (was that plotkai? XD) and she was placed on against the wall.

Don't get it wrong this fight is not for the sake of showing Gray's or Ultear's powers, it is a fight to reveal some unfinished ends in the story.

We are getting to know Ultear's past and her reason to fight and what counts on the battle is simply the coreography and sheer style of it. So if she loses fine by me.

Also I don't agree with people complaining about Bluenote and Rustyrose.

Plotwise they were just a couple hax empty individuals whose sole purpose was keeping the tension up while giving Gildartz and Fried & Bixlow something to beat.

The problem with this arc is not simply FT winning what one could consider extremely outclassed fights, the problem is that Mashima made a lot cliched time consuming villains for the sake of showing of popular characters.

Zancrow, Rustyrose, Cain and Bluenote were just there to kill time and drag on the arc.

The only ones that had any sort of emotional contribution were Meredy, Asuma, Caprico and now Ultear.

So far they didn't dissapoint, Asuma won two fights in a row before facing the red haired female Hitsugaya.

Meredy had to be befriended since she was crazy enough to go for a kamikaze triple kill.

Caprico was meh but Lucy needed another spirit.

Now Ultear is on the table and we will finally get some well deserved answers.

Also before I forget I still think that Hades will pop in and take down both Gray and Ultear.
    Last edited by 1337 haxor; June 25, 2011 at 09:05 AM.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kauia's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Please go easy on me. Everyone here seems so tense.

I don't care what people think. I say this chapter rocks. (Hi everyone! Newbie here!) Juvia was so hilarious in this chapter. With that heart in her eyes and all. Juvia is so adorable in this chapter. I love the look in Meredy's face as you see her trying to get away from a crawling Juvia chaser. That really did distract Gray. A lot.

I can't wait to see whats going to happen next. Gray might win. The next chapter might be about the another glimpse of the tower in heaven. I wonder if Ur used to be from a dark guild then decided to be good and quit and go solo trying to undo her mistakes. Maybe her husband may have something had to do with why Ultear is the way she is. Ur could have not be able to do anything for her daughter at that time. Just guessing. I all had thought that Gray might lose this fight where Hades may interfere like someone said before. Maybe its a draw. But after reading the chapter, I'm guessing that Gray might win. He's so awesome in this chapter. That blood thing rocks! So worth the wait. This chapter tells me Something happened that made Ultear the wonderful ideal twisted villain that she is today. Oh what fun~ Please tell me your thoughts on the next chapter.

I wonder when will Hades go down and fight. I wanna see the revelation about Natsu, Lucy and Zeref. Sinse Natsu's a strong fighter, he'll definitely be in the attacking force along with Lucy and Happy. and maybe Bixlow or Fried. Whoever's left will be in the defense team like Lisanna, Levy, Wendy, Charle and Lily.

21. Like 6 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kakashidad's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought this was not a bad issue...but my expectation is not like some.I'm not looking for ''booker prize'' material.
    The amount of times i've seen the same gripe about how the villan of the piece has been cheated by the author
    because of this or that is amazing..not really.

Could it not be that peeps are been abit too guilible in believing there ''idol'' boast to begin with?Ultear was overconfident to begin with...there a certain fatal error in most manga/s.When you start shouting
    the odds...no?

Bluenote was built up and then Master hades made note to say.That he congratulated Makarov for having someone like Gildartz within his guild...not just that.But the hint of his admiration came when he said he did not think he'd of lost half his gh warrior before Bluenote entered the fray.

Anyway i loved the interaction between gray and his lady juvia..that was priceless.Her scammering after meredy with big luv hearts in her eyes was hysterical.The blood ice move gray pulled off.Should be seen
    as him thinking ahead and finding a WEAKNESS in Ultear magic...By him recalling his teacher teaching...whats so hard about that to understand?What we saw him do was make ultear revert to her mother TEACHING.That should be applauded imo not scoff at.

It is afterall just fantasy...i mean the blood in his body has been turned to ice?surely he'd be dead in reality lol.
    Or is that me been thick...lmao.I hope it continue in the same vein tbh.The enemy vanguished so new ones
    appear.It'd just be like a marvel or dc theme otherwise.Where you have the same bad guys popping in for a
    showdown and that and been sent to whatever high sercurity facility and escaping..that shit's boring.
    Last edited by kakashidad; June 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Magnus's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

While the blood thing is a bit weird and its logic can be questioned, at least we had a new trick and I doubt that Gray defeating Ultear with raw strength alone would please people. That's the problem an author must face when he gives a character tremendous abilities : how to overcome them.
    Anyway this chapter was a fun read as usual and I'm eager to discover what happens after this fight.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakashidad View Post
    I thought this was not a bad issue...but my expectation is not like some.I'm not looking for ''booker prize'' material.
    No one is asking for "booker prize" material here - and I doubt anyone would be looking at this place either. What some people are asking for is a level of either consistency or logic or at least a more plausible build up, since time again the build ups so far of this arc (actually I would say this style started more around the Oracion Seis arc) have always tended to end up flat (either Bluenote or Fairy glitter) to be replaced by a more sudden intrusion (sudden ultimate technique).

Quote Originally Posted by 1337 haxor View Post
    Ok seriously now people, AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO REMEMBER SHE FOUGHT FREAKIN ZEREF?

Ultear is not in her prime condition, we have no idea how much magic she used up to defeat Zeref and she came out visibly tired of that battle.
    Yeah case in point of some level of logic or consistency issues that really stick out with this arc, all hail Natsu who hasn't exactly managed to eat flames that rejuvenated him (don't think Zancrow's flames were particularly beneficial as much as harmful). Lets not forget Azuma who also still managed to put up quite a fight despite facing Mirajane. In case you haven't noticed fatigue doesn't exactly set in this manga until convenient to "build" up tension, e.g. Lucy facing the fat voodoo guy from the Kin, never really saw it YET as a reason for defeat though - Ultear could be the first for this~.

There is just frustration that it seems the author is really coming undone at the seams to arrive at some pretty quick fix solutions. Which is a shame as he did manage to avoid those earlier but with current arcs its really starting to become rather obvious.

No one is saying you can't enjoy this chapter just also realize that there would be some who are unhappy because some aren't exactly able to suspend disbelief as easily due to how things were handled - I'm pretty sure even those complaining are aware that this is a shounen manga and who are its target audiences so definitely anyone reading this has cut it slack but its just that it feels things of late are taking an easy way out.

Edit: Heck I'm even starting to see Ultear's battle with Zeref being another easy way exit since everybody is using that as a defense for Ultear to lose. Lets put it this way while we've seen a fragment of how dangerous his aura is we never actually saw the details of his battle with Ultear so as to gauge for ourselves the comparison of an unawakened Zeref vs a serious Fairy tale mage against Ultear. Can't you give Gray or any of the other FT mages the benefit of the doubt in being able to put up an even better fight than a rusty mage who doesn't want to use his powers? Sides it didn't seem like the area Zeref and Ultear fought at was that badly devastated to indicate that incredibly destructive techniques were employed in the fight, or the fact that nobody in particular sensed the magic to comment on how fierce it must've been.
    Last edited by Hamy; June 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM.

New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast