Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Irene

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Claymore Irene

Character Names: Irene/Ilena

Character Title: Irene/Ilena of the Quick Sword

Character Type 1: Claymore

Character Type 2: Offensive

Era: Teresa's Era

Status: AWOL living in a single cottage in her "crater Valley -> (presumably) Deceased

Family:

Home Town:

Current Residence: Rabona Holy City

Personality:

Abilities: Quick Sword, good Yoki Suppression Ability, Yoki Focusing Ability, good Yoki Sensing Ability, able to "regenerate" back "weaker Human arms" (but can NOT Regenerate, can't Regenerate actual Claymore arms back),

(discuss Ilena/Irene)
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; June 19, 2011 at 02:56 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner OpheliasRazor's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Irene

I'm not sure about irene, but Ilena - Flashsword Ilena, is my second favorite character next to yours truly ; Ophelia.
    (It could be a bad translation but what actually IS her f**kn name?, Ilena or Irene?)
    We never got to see whether or not Ilena (presumably her correct name, idk) really died at the hands of Rafaela ; What if Rafaela spared Ilena and she's cooped up in Toulohose, Rabona city with galatea or even more, what if she became an awakened being that was sent to pieta / the org / riful by isley? There aren't many plotholes in claymore, but the ones there are, are big ones indeed, although they made a point in the anime to indicate ilenas death the moment the new arm clare recieved THROBBED and PULSATED, And just maybe the authors didn't wish to show us a scene as pathetic as ilena begging for her life or just giving up, closing her eyes, and waiting to feel a cold sensation at the base of her throat. Either way, whether she's dead or alive, I'm sure if she is alive she grew back that arm.
    Last edited by OpheliasRazor; October 31, 2012 at 02:50 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Falcor's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OpheliasRazor View Post
    (It could be a bad translation but what actually IS her f**kn name?, Ilena or Irene?)
    The proper romanization of her name is Ilena - although Irene became popularized by most of the fanbase due to the fact most scanlation groups used Irene. Japanese pronunciation of Irene is approximately ih - RAE - nah (using English phonetics), so either form is technically correct, but for most English speakers, Ilena comes closer to the way it should be pronounced.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner OpheliasRazor's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
    The proper romanization of her name is Ilena - although Irene became popularized by most of the fanbase due to the fact most scanlation groups used Irene. Japanese pronunciation of Irene is approximately ih - RAE - nah (using English phonetics), so either form is technically correct, but for most English speakers, Ilena comes closer to the way it should be pronounced.
    ih- RAE - nah
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, ive been saying her name wrong the entire time....

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brother Coa's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 133 Spoiler Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore1 View Post
    Irene is her name, but she was called Ilena in the anime.
    It's the other way around ,see episode 13 of Claymore anime - you can clearly hear Clare saying: "Irene". And I ahve first 10 volumes of manga, she is called Ilena in manga.
    Last edited by Brother Coa; December 03, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
    "The universe has many horrors yet to throw at us. This is not the end of our struggle. This is just the beginning of our crusade to save Humanity. Be faithful! Be strong! Be vigilant!"

-Emperor of Mankind.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Claymore1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 133 Discussions/134 Predictions

Quote Quote:
    It's the other way around ,see episode 13 of Claymore anime - you can clearly hear Clare saying: "Irene". And I ahve first 10 volumes of manga, she is called Ilena in manga.
    They call her Ilena in the anime. I have just recently watched the first 20 episodes of Claymore in the last month and she always refers to her as Ilena. I have heard her referred to as Irene in the manga too.

In chapter 52 page 30 Clare says "Please Irene..." (asking her for help while fighting)
    Last edited by Claymore1; December 03, 2012 at 05:17 PM.

Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 133 Discussions/134 Predictions

They call her Ilena in the anime.
    At 12:35 you can claearly hear Clare saying Irene, not Ilena ( even the subtitle said that ).

Quote Quote:
    I have have just recently watched the first 20 episodes of Claymore and she always refers to her as Ilena.
    Than you have clearly missed it here at 12:35 and here at 3:56 and 12:13 and here at 18:21 and finally here at 9:43.
    Ilena is called Irene in anime, you can clearly hear strong "R" when they manetion her name.

Quote Quote:
    I have heard her referred to as Irene in the manga too.
    Not in manga, you can see that here, in mange volumes I have bought and have home It still stand "Ilena". You can see that here, here Clare said "Irene" while I have volume 10 at my home and she says "Ilene" there.

Claymore has always have name problems, you can see that first several volumes were updated as official while around volume 8 they started updating translations done by private translators and they changed names to some things ( Ilena was now irene and Quick Sword was Slash Sword and now it's High Speed Sword ).
    "The universe has many horrors yet to throw at us. This is not the end of our struggle. This is just the beginning of our crusade to save Humanity. Be faithful! Be strong! Be vigilant!"

-Emperor of Mankind.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 133 Discussions / 134 Predictions

They call her Ilena in the ENGLISH anime. The funimation dub has her name spoken as Ilena and as Ilena in the character book that came with it.
    Last edited by Claymore1; December 03, 2012 at 05:53 PM.

Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

English is something else, in original Japanese they called her Irene ( English stayed more loyal to manga names ).

-Emperor of Mankind.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    English is something else, in original Japanese they called her Irene ( English stayed more loyal to manga names ).
    I'm sorry, I just assumed you were talking about the English version of Claymore. However, I still have seen it written as Irene in the manga before,

Irene:
    Spoiler show

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner SpeedyIX's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
    I'm watching these clips and am still hearing "ih- RAE - nah " they're using all three syllables when they say her name, even though their doing it kinda quickly. :P

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Irene is definitely the proper form. The name Irene which derived from a Greek word (just like Galatea and others, not some English modified version of it which is also rarely used) meaning "peace" doesn't even have an English Wikipedia page for a good reason, Anyway, all you have to do is check Japanese Wikipedia for Irene (there is a list of Irenes there. e.g. Irene Angelina). Yagi is just being consistent here.

@Claymore1
    lol
    The picture you've shown comes from a 10sigh's scanlation, Ilene is only in Viz version.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Irene's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

You never saw me get killed by Rafaela.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Hoping this will happen:
    Galarene <3

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member TStew's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, I just assumed you were talking about the English version of Claymore. However, I still have seen it written as Irene in the manga before,

Irene:
    Spoiler show

Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    Irene is definitely the proper form. The name Irene which derived from a Greek word (just like Galatea and others, not some English modified version of it which is also rarely used) meaning "peace" doesn't even have an English Wikipedia page for a good reason, Anyway, all you have to do is check Japanese Wikipedia for Irene (there is a list of Irenes there. e.g. Irene Angelina). Yagi is just being consistent here.

@Claymore1
    lol
    The picture you've shown comes from a 10sigh's scanlation, Ilene is only in Viz version.
    I just checked all my books (these ones:
    Spoiler show
    ) and they used Ilena which I thought matched up to the anime though I had heard and seen plenty of references online to her name also being Irene.

@Claymore1 I just looked in my books at that very page and mine says Ilena. The wording is pretty much all different for every text on that page too compared to yours. I also checked where we first see her in the Teresa arc, and then later when Clare meets her after Ophelia. In all cases in my books they say Ilena. Interesting.

But according to Falcor's pronunciation above, I suppose they really are pretty much the same name, I'd listen to the anime to see if the L was pronounced more like an R but I have my disks loaned out atm. Its hard for us Americans to see Irene and not pronounce it 'EYE-reen', but if it is infact pronounced 'ih-RAE-nah' or 'ee-REH-neh' than that is very close to Ilena. I always thought the english sounding Irene just didnt fit with the rest of the names and Ilena seemed to go much better and more elegant.
    T~Stew

New Reply