Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: What happened to Setsura?

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

What happened to Setsura?

I've been wondering about this for a while. What happened to Setsura? She was there in Rihan's time, but we have never seen her in the current time, so where did she go? Ao, Kuro, Kubinashi, Kejourou and many others are present in both, whereas Tsurara replaces Setsura as the resident yuki onna.

Any theories on what happened to Setsura, and for that matter, where Tsurara came from (who her father is)?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Nayrael's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happened to Setsura?

Setsura and Tsurara's father... definitely the greatest and oldest mystery of this Manga ^_^;

- we know that Tsurara was born after year 1912 so Setsura should have still been there at that time
    - the only known possible conflicts at that time were Rihan's anti-Kitsune wars. It is possible she perished in one of these
    - Setsura was lazy and seeing that Tsurara is a workaholic, we can assume that Tsurara's father was one as well (as many writers like the concept of children inheriting parent's traits)
    - we don't know if Setsura married or had an affair
    - some of Tsurara's reaction to words "Hyakku Monogatari" make me think she knows something (tough I am probably just over-analyzing things) about them.. maybe Setsura's disappearance is somehow connected with them? After all, everyone and their grandma are connected with HM :P

And those the only things about this great mystery that we know about I think... which is not really much... for some reason Hiroshi keeps it a classified secret which leads me to believe that it will get its own arc or something in future.
    My siriuz theory: Setsura formed a Rock band and now travels around the world singing on concerts!
    Last edited by Nayrael; June 18, 2011 at 11:51 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Sama_al_Azraq's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

In an interview in Daigaku Manga vol 18,
    from 2ch―それぞれのキャラクターの過去を掘り下げていくエピソードも印象深いですね。
    椎橋 各キャラクターの話を本編でやりたいなとはずっと思っていました。
    首無の話とかも、すごくモチベーションは高かったんですけど(中略)
    でも、まあ他のキャラクターとか、今後、黒田坊とか、雪女はわからないですけど、
    いろいろ考えているんで、やっていきたいです。

Shiibashi said that he want to write the story of the characters, and already thought about them, so unless the manga got cancelled, I think we'll get her story somewhere along the way.
    For Tsurara's father, which one you like more?
    1. No father, yuki-onna reproduce asexually like amoeba
    2. Tsurara is Setsura reincarnation
    3. Her father is a
    - human
    - youkai
    a. Yuki-otoko, well, yuki-otoko is more to UMA than youkai as it's the Japanese word for bigfoot, sasquatch or yeti so I guess not
    b. Fuyu Shougun (General Frost), youkai of Russian winter
    c. Jackfrost etc lol
    - other life forms, like animal, alien etc (okay, no)

I think I like 1 more, as I don't like NTR. Yukinko separated from adult yuki-onna and grow into another yuki-onna sounds good for me.
    Last edited by Sama_al_Azraq; June 18, 2011 at 01:42 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if you look at the other manga that has something to do with a youkai, you can make an educate guess to 'what happened'.

E.g. In Yu yu Hakusho (and I'm not sure how close this one follows old Japanese folklore). A yuki-onna reproduces asexually, and it's always a female. If said woman takes a man, she dies.

So that's two same theories you have there. Or you can assume that the Yuki-onna reproduces, then dies (or withers into snow, who knows?)

That or there is a chance that Setsura is retired somewhere up in the alps, or hidden from the current timeline until further notice (like karasu's wife. I did NOT see that one coming).

Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if there is any myth that has a Yuki Onna and something connected to music in it?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluphino View Post
    I think if you look at the other manga that has something to do with a youkai, you can make an educate guess to 'what happened'.

E.g. In Yu yu Hakusho (and I'm not sure how close this one follows old Japanese folklore). A yuki-onna reproduces asexually, and it's always a female. If said woman takes a man, she dies.

So that's two same theories you have there. Or you can assume that the Yuki-onna reproduces, then dies (or withers into snow, who knows?)

That or there is a chance that Setsura is retired somewhere up in the alps, or hidden from the current timeline until further notice (like karasu's wife. I did NOT see that one coming).
    You probably ought to take a look at the wikipedia article on yuki-onna rather than base your theories on random manga like Yu Yu Hakusho.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, there is no one definite answer, that's for sure. There are so many versions of Yuki-onna legends, and its not like each mangaka can't twist it to his preference, liking, and to fit the story he's writing. It is, of course, also possible that the Yuki-onna in Mago may bear similarities to the one(s) in YYH

From this legend (from wikipedia), Yuki-onna are capable of reproduction, and with human men too.
    Quote Quote:
    In one popular Yuki-onna legend, for example, she sets a young boy free because of his beauty and age. She makes him promise never to speak of her, but later in life, he tells the story to his wife who reveals herself to be the snow woman. She reviles him for breaking his promise, but spares him again, this time out of concern for their children (but if he dares mistreat their children, she will return with no mercy. Luckily for him, he is a loving father). In a similar legend, Yuki-onna melts away once her husband discovers her true nature.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

not a lot of information is given for us 2 work with

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Krono View Post
    You probably ought to take a look at the wikipedia article on yuki-onna rather than base your theories on random manga like Yu Yu Hakusho.

I read that entry even before starting reading Nura, thank you.

What Saladesu said.

As far as anyone is concerned, Nura is just another 'random manga'. I'm saying we can look at what other mangaka's take on the subject is, and compose theories for this one. Not take it as canon and say 'THIS IS WHAT MUST HAVE HAPPENED'. It's the same subject matter under different pens. Suggesting wiki has 'more hold and say' and I 'ought it read it first before composing theories' doesn't mean much when manga is manga and any take on it is possible.

For cases like these, wiki-fact is on the same level as any other take by any mangaka.

Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Wikipedia is a better source due to giving info on what both Nura, YYH and some other stories are based on. If you just watch at YYH, you won't know what is original and what is taken from mythology. Hiroshi bases his stories heavily on mythology (he often speends his holidays researching the mythologies), more than other Mangaka would (where mythological correctness plays a much smaller role).

Even better than Wikipedia is using other sources of lore as well as read the translation notes where you can find out more about the element of the story.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I can read those as well, and in more than one language. Thank you.

I'd quote what Saladesu said again to rid myself of the overzealous folks who thinks Nura is 'the be all, end all'. But the thing that bothers me is this:

a) He's not the only one that does his research before starting a story. There is no way you can tell he 'does his research more than any other mangaka (in what content? History? His time? This year?)' unless you're personally there clock his reading hours or something.

b) He researches yes, but then after that, like all other mangas, 'the ball is in his court', and he can do whatever he wants with that 'ball'. The characters he utilizes and their respective mythologies that comes with it has thus far, ranged from being 'played straight' to 'just the name is taken' to 'the general idea is there but everything else is original' to 'I'm just borrowing this from another culture though it really isn't Japanese, but it's close enough! I'll just change one word and it'll work'.

c) Knowing that, we don't know what route he decided to take with Setsura. As I said from above, she may have either faded to dust (snow, really) after having Tsurara, or it may just be a reincarnation, or as I used YHH as AN EXAMPLE of what others did, she died, or using NURA ITSELF as an example, she may have probably retired off in some snow-capped mountain til ages unknown.

It short. We don't know, but it doesn't hurt to throw ideas around without jumping down each other's throats going 'YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, YOU SHOULD DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH FIRST AHMYGAWD, /quote quote quote'.

So instead of reading the theories of others and then slamming them and bringing judgement upon them and declaring them worthy/not worthy. Why don't you bring rerail the topic and give us some of your own ideas to 'what happened' instead of telling others what to do and how to do instead?
    Last edited by bluphino; October 18, 2011 at 08:23 AM.

Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    a) He's not the only one that does his research before starting a story. There is no way you can tell he 'does his research more than any other mangaka (in what content? History? His time? This year?)' unless you're personally there clock his reading hours or something.
    The comment on Hiroshi's research is there to say that he takes inspiration directly from Mythology, not from other Manga.
    And I repeat: other Manga can't be used as trustable source due to Mangaka taking liberties. NuraMago would also be a bad source.

Hiroshi does do more research than the Mangaka who just use few elements from mythology (not talking about YYH here, but in general). A Mangaka who doesn't take mythology as a focus won't waste his time researching it.

Quote Quote:
    b) He researches yes, but then after that, like all other mangas, 'the ball is in his court', and he can do whatever he wants with that 'ball'. The characters he utilizes and their respective mythologies that comes with it has thus far, ranged from being 'played straight' to 'just the name is taken' to 'the general idea is there but everything else is original' to 'I'm just borrowing this from another culture though it really isn't Japanese, but it's close enough! I'll just change one word and it'll work'.
    What does this have to do with anything? I thought we were discussing using other Manga as a source of how it will be done here.
    It is no secret that Hiroshi is taking liberties. Many youkai are original (he mentions in Databook if the Youkai is original and if not, from which area's mythology he got it) and some changed.
    And since all Mangaka do it, it is a bad source unless you know what is original and what is not.

Quote Quote:
    c) Knowing that, we don't know what route he decided to take with Setsura. As I said from above, she may have either faded to dust (snow, really) after having Tsurara, or it may just be a reincarnation, or as I used YHH as AN EXAMPLE of what others did, she died, or using NURA ITSELF as an example, she may have probably retired off in some snow-capped mountain til ages unknown.

It short. We don't know, but it doesn't hurt to throw ideas around without jumping down each other's throats going 'YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, YOU SHOULD DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH FIRST AHMYGAWD, /quote quote quote'.
    Again, the only thing I am replied on is using other Manga as an example. When an info goes from ear to ear, it becomes less and less reliable. That is an easily proven fact. In Manga this is especially true as every Mangaka will take liberties so you even have "Fake Info". If you know what is not a liberty, you can use the mythology itself as a source, not a Manga story.

I do not complain about what you think happened to Setsura. Don't even see where you thought I did.

Quote Quote:
    So instead of reading the theories of others and then slamming them and bringing judgement upon them and declaring them worthy/not worthy. Why don't you bring rerail the topic and give us some of your own ideas to 'what happened' instead of telling others what to do and how to do instead?
    I slammed a theory and passed judgment? Please do say where. I just see civilly replying to your reply to Krono, mentioning (and explaining why) Manga are not as good source of info as you claim (as I repeated it in this post a few times: because Mangaka take liberties, they are not trustable source... too much fake info can be found there).

Again: I did not comment on you using YYH as a source. What I commented on was your reply to Krono where you say that Manga is a trustable source. I didn't agree and mentioned why not, something that for God knows which reason seems to have offended you.
    Last edited by Nayrael; October 18, 2011 at 09:14 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I slammed a theory and passed judgment? Please do say where. I just see civilly replying to your reply to Krono, mentioning (and explaining why) Manga are not as good source of info as you claim (as I repeated it in this post a few times: because Mangaka take liberties, they are not trustable source... too much fake info can be found there).
    Say what?

Quote Quote:
    As far as anyone is concerned, Nura is just another 'random manga'. I'm saying we can look at what other mangaka's take on the subject is, and compose theories for this one. Not take it as canon and say 'THIS IS WHAT MUST HAVE HAPPENED'.
    I hate devolving into trollish antics.

Mangakas take liberties - obviously. But that is where the idea comes from. My suggestion is see what others are doing, and see how this one is. Apparently the response is (not only from you) "no, wiki/original source or bust, nothing else matters, go do your homework" which I find utterly silly. Yes, Nura standalone is 'an original work', but as far as reading material and youkai-related is concerned? It's another story in a sea of a dozen and then some. Yes he researches, but he takes liberties with it - the same liberties where a hundred and more before him takes. So I see absolutely no wrong in seeing what the 100+ before him did, then from there, see what he may or may not do to the same subject.

Knowing the original is 'nice', it tells you what the 'base' is, but in the long run it doesn't matter (much) if the guy is going to take the original white towel and paint it with other colors. There is nothing wrong with looking at what the other 'artists' of his time are doing to the same towel, and then go back to him and think "ok so is this guy going to do what everyone else is doing? Or doing something completely different? Blue seems to be the overwhelming trend so maybe he'll do blue. Ah he seems to be influenced by this other guy, maybe he'll do something alike."

That, I think, is a little more practical and gives you way more to base your theories off of instead of 'the original' and only 'the original' and no 'midway evolution example'. Not one manga nowadays is 100% original out-of-the-blue. Artists copy each other, constantly. Anyone who took art knows this. None of the big 3 are, and certainly not this one. It's silly to dismiss what the ones that came before it did when tossing story ideas around. The original is perhaps, only half (if not less) of the story.

That said, since for this one subject we simply don't know what route he's going to take, the best we can do is shoot theories randomly because given the nature of the manga and the examples of 'lore' that is given, it's sorta pointless to argue what 'base' to use in the first place because the mangaka can just pull a 'do whatever' and null everything.
    Last edited by bluphino; October 18, 2011 at 11:04 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Sama_al_Azraq's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Moderator message by: Sama
    I think better stop it here. And please change your tone, it's like you're picking a fight.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh i always thought she was never mentioned again after some time, she was with Rihan but then she vanished, i wonder if she died in battle, as for Tsurara's father I think a. Yuki-otoko b. Fuyu Shougun seem the cooler choices ^^ Yuki-onna is quite young so Setsura vanished/died recently maybe sanmoto s involved or maybe not. I'm pretty sure the author will do a bckstory for Tsurara since he's been doing it for every yokai and yet Tsurara whos probaly the main or one of the main females has nothing at all almost

New Reply