Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Viz Media's AnE

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member BexXx's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Viz Media's AnE

The second Viz picked up AnE I bought a copy, as i'm guessing lotsa fans did ^_^ and always felt the translation wasn't as good as muffins' & saladesu's but was grand enough. Got volume 2 last week just started it the other day and noticed this immediately: Viz's version Konekumaru says 'Mr Okumura is an Aria and a Dragoon.' While the version we all know and love he's not an aria he's a doctor:
    Spoiler show
    It makes 100% more sense for Yukio to be a doctor! (as he always wanted to be one). If Viz made the mistake (which i'm sure it was them) then I'm losing faith I don't feel as much love is Viz's trans anyways.....

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kryanka's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Viz Media's AnE

Yeah, it's been stated countless times in the manga and shown in anime too that Yukio is a doctor and dragoon. Viz's made a mistake, probably because they were talking arias there.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it really matters. If it really bothers you, send them an e-mail and they'll fix the issue in a later printing.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha guess not I'm probably a bit biased with those kinda things from getting so penalized for small print mistakes in college & AnE's awesomeness XD but it would give new readers a wrong idea bout Yukio's qualifications cuz he really wanted to be a doctor and he has so much medical knowledge.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Picked up the first volume (now i want the second volume like badly) and in the first Yukio is listed as a doctor and a dragoon so they shouldn't be doing a mistake, print mistake i presume :S the translation is quite good and the extras are cool =]

Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the extras can't wait for vol 3 to come out ^_^ I felt the way they keep calling shiro by the proper title 'Father Fujimoto' was a bit...eh..formal, I'm sure it would be just 'dad' or 'father' sometimes not all formal like that >_<

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner pumpkin_so77's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a bit late, but it's better late than never!
    I felt like a kid getting all excited as I walked into a manga/anime shop today and walking out with Volumes 1 & 2 of Ao no Exorcist
    Also, I was told that Vol 3 was going to get shipped in within the month. I can't wait! I loved the extras.
    G.//

Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet it was great i have to order online stoopid shops over here wouldn't stock that but Vol 3 is out on the Book Depo love those guys

Artists of MH 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Gintara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Got volume 3 yesterday; there's another 4-koma along with a guide to how Kato makes manga. Quite cool to see how manga is made.

Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

just got volume 6 and its filled to the brim with extras and sidestories, there what i assume they based the ova on kuro running away and one on a phantom train xD its good

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Tame's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I was puzzled by the Aria/Doctor mix-up too (even though I hadn't read the online translations but I wondered why Yukio wasn't a Doctor) but they've fixed the mistake in later volumes. No need for anyone to get annoyed over - all early editions of books carry errors.

I think the Viz volumes are great! You get the cover picture twice (one on the cover, and then the picture in full on good-quality paper on the first page), I love the pictures of the cover character's belongings on the back cover and all the extras are great. I also think the translations are often clearer than the online ones. Finally, I'm incredibly impressed with how quickly they've released them! Volume 8's only recently come out in Japan and Viz have released 7 volumes! Nice work, Viz! Now you just have to stop threatening to sue online manga sites and you'll have proven yourselves to be decent people! :P

Mind you, they've not brought them out as quickly as the French publishers; I was over there the other week and they have all 8 volumes.

Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tame View Post
    I was puzzled by the Aria/Doctor mix-up too (even though I hadn't read the online translations but I wondered why Yukio wasn't a Doctor) but they've fixed the mistake in later volumes. No need for anyone to get annoyed over - all early editions of books carry errors.

I think the Viz volumes are great! You get the cover picture twice (one on the cover, and then the picture in full on good-quality paper on the first page), I love the pictures of the cover character's belongings on the back cover and all the extras are great. I also think the translations are often clearer than the online ones. Finally, I'm incredibly impressed with how quickly they've released them! Volume 8's only recently come out in Japan and Viz have released 7 volumes! Nice work, Viz! Now you just have to stop threatening to sue online manga sites and you'll have proven yourselves to be decent people! :P

Mind you, they've not brought them out as quickly as the French publishers; I was over there the other week and they have all 8 volumes.
    Oh I didn't realise they fixed it! That's good then, but I still don't altogether love their translations, there's a certain amount of formality in the Viz trans that irks me, every time Rin refers to his dad he always says very formally 'Father Fujimoto' but I'm sure that would be just 'dad' or 'Father' in most or at least some instances, not just from a previous reader's point of view but grammatically it doesn't sound right.

I also gotta say I love the original Japanese version better book-wise. It's got a dust jacket and a bit extra, even if it's smaller than the american print, even the paper quality is nicer (shame I can only admire the images in my J copy and not read it XD)

Wow that is fast though! I didn't realise it had gotten that far, I'm so behind! Damn moneylessness >.<

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BexXx View Post
    Oh I didn't realise they fixed it! That's good then, but I still don't altogether love their translations, there's a certain amount of formality in the Viz trans that irks me, every time Rin refers to his dad he always says very formally 'Father Fujimoto' but I'm sure that would be just 'dad' or 'Father' in most or at least some instances, not just from a previous reader's point of view but grammatically it doesn't sound right.

I also gotta say I love the original Japanese version better book-wise. It's got a dust jacket and a bit extra, even if it's smaller than the american print, even the paper quality is nicer (shame I can only admire the images in my J copy and not read it XD)

Wow that is fast though! I didn't realise it had gotten that far, I'm so behind! Damn moneylessness >.<
    well usually the original would be closer to the authors desires so its to be expected but the english versions are not too bad compared to other translations ive seen ^^"

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Tame's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaveDragon View Post
    well usually the original would be closer to the authors desires so its to be expected but the english versions are not too bad compared to other translations ive seen ^^"
    But unless you can read the original in Japanese, how do you know which is better translated? :P

I agree with BeXx about the formality though, and I think that's a really good way of putting it. I wish Viz would put translation notes in and exlanations of honorifics like Kodansha do. To me it shows a great dedication to conveying the meaning of the original to English readers when they do that.

Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tame View Post
    But unless you can read the original in Japanese, how do you know which is better translated? :P

I agree with BeXx about the formality though, and I think that's a really good way of putting it. I wish Viz would put translation notes in and exlanations of honorifics like Kodansha do. To me it shows a great dedication to conveying the meaning of the original to English readers when they do that.
    I meant viz is better than other foreign translations i caught sight off not the original =P
    That i agree with as well, it is part of the story after all~

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast