Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 601 by BadKarma , Gintama 515 (2)

View Poll Results: Who wins?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Neji

77 65.81%
  • Shikamaru

40 34.19%
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Neji vs Shikamaru

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member biggchiefmo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Neji vs Shikamaru

Neji will win. Shikamaru is facing someone with a fair bit of analytical skills, and the eyes and jutsu to back it up. I dont see Shikamaru being able to think his way out of this one.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention that Neji knows his own weaknesses better than anyone else...Shikamaru doesn't have the speed necessary to stop Neji, IMO.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity NAM61's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i go with shikamaru he can probably come up with ways to counter neji's attacks.

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm voting for shikamaru.

Neji is the better ninja of the two but this is all about match ups. Neji would have to get in close, shika can strike from long range. One shadow trap and its over.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Delbi's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Shika needs to capture Neji once, wrap his shadow tendrills around him, and pierce him until hes dead. IMO, Neji is highly overrated, or did people forget him getting his ass owned against a clone, of a clone of Kisame. Mind you, that was a 30 percent clone, that made a water clone which is only 10 percent as strong as the orginal. So yea, Neji got owned by 3% of Kisame, Shika blew 100% of Hidan to pieces. Shika wins, Neji isn't fast enough to keep away from Shika.
    "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

6. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Crystal Black's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

2 of my favorite characters going at it here. I just wan't to point out, with a mind like Shikamaru's, he should not be underestimated here just because he's an inferior fighter. His brilliance and great mind should be able to pull off tactics against soemone like Neji, not saying he is lacking intellectually either. Neji isn't in the slightest weak to mid-long range fighters.His match with kidomaru proved that. One way or the other he can will close that distance and in there Shimaru mayhave a trap waiting for him. Going to look into their features more befotre I finally vote but It should be a good match all around, but for now I will have to give the slight edge to Neji, thanks to his eyes(Byakugan).

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Regret's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could just blindly say that Shikamaru could come up with something, but I just don't see it. We have someone with amazing tricks going up against someone with equally amazing dodges. Byakugan seems to make catching Neji off guard with kage mane or kage nui difficult and hakke kusho seems like an effective counter attack. I'd imagine Kaiten would be Neji's natural response to Asuma's blades. If Neji hadn't fought Kidomaru I'd believe that Neji could easily fall for a trap, but he's pretty quick to come up with effective solutions. If Shikamaru had more defensive options other than range then I'd give it to him, but for now I'd have to give it to Neji who's pretty well rounded and typically fights 1-on-1.
    Last edited by Regret; June 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM.

O fragments of light, strike down mine enemy!

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White Silver King
    With the exception of Naruto, of the Konoha 11 I have no doubt that Neji is the strongest.
    If I would look at my list from that particular topic, I think I put Neji after Naruto/Sasuke nr ones, haha xP

Quote Originally Posted by Delbi
    Mind you, that was a 30 percent clone, that made a water clone which is only 10 percent as strong as the orginal. So yea, Neji got owned by 3% of Kisame, Shika blew 100% of Hidan to pieces.
    My first thought was: man, you're actually comparing Kisame to Shikamaru <because it was Kisame, only with much less chakra> He is definitely more physical fighter than Shikamaru..
    My second thought was: if not for prep time, Shikamaru wouldn't own Hidan in their first encounter <and, yeah, Hidan is somewhat taijutsu based fighter too xd>

Aside from that: I voted for Neji not only about his prowess in taijutsu, but because how nicely he was evading Naruto back than in chuunin exam arc/fight: it is so similar to how HIdan was evadinf Shika's shadow <and Hidan didn't have Byakugan>
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Delbi View Post
    Shika needs to capture Neji once, wrap his shadow tendrills around him, and pierce him until hes dead. IMO, Neji is highly overrated, or did people forget him getting his ass owned against a clone, of a clone of Kisame. Mind you, that was a 30 percent clone, that made a water clone which is only 10 percent as strong as the orginal. So yea, Neji got owned by 3% of Kisame, Shika blew 100% of Hidan to pieces. Shika wins, Neji isn't fast enough to keep away from Shika.
    Yea...Shikamaru was about to die against 100% Hidan, just like Asuma, he just got saved. In addition, he had massive prep time to beat Hidan. Not to mention that Kisame is considered to be around Tailed Beast-level chakra...10% of a Tailed Beast is still quite ridiculous. Your claim is pretty misleading.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Shaunlim's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say to be honest since any traps that Shikamaru prepares would possibly be seen by Neji since I doubt that Shikamaru is capable of hiding from him. Only way I see Shikamaru catching Neji with his shadow is him luring Neji into close combat and do that stun that he did against Hidan. Although if that were the case, Neji can still use his full body jyuken to push Shikamaru away and free himself. I'm going to have to wait before voting for this one as well.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    If I would look at my list from that particular topic, I think I put Neji after Naruto/Sasuke nr ones, haha xP
    I did put Neji after Naruto. And Sasuke isn't a member of the Konoha 11 - hence the name.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll give this to Neji. Since he possesses the Byakugan, he would be able to see the chakra in Shikamaru's shadow techniques, thus would be able to avoid it regardless of the direction it came from. In addition to his Byakugan, Neji would be able to defend using his rotation sphere and strike from afar using his Empty Palm technique. If Shikamaru does manage to attach a shadow to Neji, then Neji could likely use his One Body Blow technique to counter the chakra in the shadow to free himself. From there, he can close in on Shikamaru and eventually seal his chakra points to win.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^Or just smack him in the heart and kill him...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member MONKEYS's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you're all putting Neji on way too high a pedestal here.
    This is what I'm understanding from the mechanics of the byakugan:
    -It allows 360 degrees vision (except for a small point at the base of the neck)
    -It allows one to focus their vision to a point far away (and through physical objects)
    -It allows the user X-ray vision, and can view chakra clearly

Okay, so firstly, even if he has the all seeing eyes of god, that doesn't mean he can react to everything. For example, in the fight against Naruto, Naruto was able to take him out with a close range punch, even though he was hiding not 1 meter below Neji.

That brings up another point, Neji is arrogant, and this isn't a battle of Edo tensei zombies, who just have the abilities of the shinobi, it's a battle between the full shinobi, including their personality.
    Firstly, Shikamaru is incredibly smart. I don't know if any of you understand what an IQ of over 200 means, but that's beyond supergenius levels.
    If he applied himself, he'd be able to crack a rubix (or Rubicks, I don't remember) cube in about 20 seconds (probably). Secondly, I don't think Shikamarus' lazy persona applies here, since they're fighting to death, or incapacitation, in other words, this isn't a chuunin exam here.

Thirdly, for those saying Neji is a genius, you're only half right. People call him a genius because he's able to deduce mechanics of jutsu quite easily, namely, he can analyse its' weak points, or, in the case of a jutsu he's trying to learn, the core ideas behind it. However, he's not a strategic genius like Shikamaru is.
    Plus, has anyone ever thought what would happen if Shikamaru used one of his flashbangs? Yeah, that's right, instant blindness, even if he closes his eyes, unless he deactivates his byakugan, which would leave him open to Shikamarus' attacks.

I could go on, but you're all just going to say that Neji wins because he's faster and stronger anyway, so, I'll just leave it on this note:
    Shikamaru is a true genius, probably in the top 1% of the Naruto world (he'd be in the top 1% of this world), and there are so many strategies he could think of, most of which not us, not even Masashi Kishimoto, will ever think of. If his battle with Hidan is anything to go by, it's that he also has incredible forethought, and can create a plan within a plan, or even multiple plans within a plan.

Sure, Neji is fast, but Shikamaru can plan for that.
    Since I'm not godlike with flash or anything, I'm going to dedicate my signature space to the people who make our weekly manga viewing possible.

I don't know their names, but really, anyone who works to bring manga to my eyes weekly, you have my thanks.

16. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Delbi's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UchihaHunter View Post
    Yea...Shikamaru was about to die against 100% Hidan, just like Asuma, he just got saved. In addition, he had massive prep time to beat Hidan. Not to mention that Kisame is considered to be around Tailed Beast-level chakra...10% of a Tailed Beast is still quite ridiculous. Your claim is pretty misleading.
    It was only 3%, since it was a ten percent clone of a 30% clone. And he had his teammates fighting with him when this happened and yet they were all captured.

And while Shikamaru is no Kisame, Neji sure as shit isn't Hidan.
    "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Thread Closed
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast