Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: Who wins?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Neji

77 65.81%
  • Shikamaru

40 34.19%
Thread Closed
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Neji vs Shikamaru

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RezzieThaRapper's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Neji vs Shikamaru

Dilemma, Dilemma, Dilemma...

I'm sad because I'm a Shikamaru fan boy... and I predict he will lose this Battle (VOTE WISE)... (I really wanted to see him fight Suigetsu and Kimimaru)

Even though I can think of quite a few ways for Shikamaru to win... Neji's ability is also a "Contact Killer" Just like Shikamaru's Shadows...

Shikamaru Strategy Options

- FLASH BOMBS - Neji can see it coming, but he could send out a different # of them first (Shuriken, Kunai, Tags) just to see what types he dodges and make an assessment on how to time his Flash Bomb with his Shadow Binding Technique... And Then Skewer Neji

- WAIT FOR NEJI TO CLOSE IN - As we know Shikamaru has nearly impeccable timing, even if his opponent is Neji, if he focuses on timing his attacks to trap him, then we have OneTouchKnockOut Showdown... who ever lands there technique first wins...

- NEUTRALIZE HIS EYES - Get him to focus on him (which he should be doing anyway) and then hit with a well timed Flash Bomb... He'll be blind for a few seconds, and he can be killed with a Kunai and Explosive Tag... or he can be Skewered

- WIRE STRING COMBO - He throws 3 Kunai, one with an Explosive Tag, one with a Flash Bomb, And One With Asuma's TrenchKnife. Neji Sees the Tag First and Notes it to be the deadliest projectile and dodges and parries simultaneously to avoid an explosion... Now he deals with the second one which could be a ball of poison, another bomb, or another devious trap & being a Jonin he uses his long range move to counter it and either blows it away or sets it off... If he blows it away it blows up at a fair distance not blinding him, and if it blows up to close he backs up to gain footing, and then he is too late notice the Trench Knife that passed him has a Wire attached and he just backed into his doom... ... ... He is then Skewered
    I have an opinionDon't hate me for it...

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DementedKirby View Post
    Shikamaru was able to take on (1-on-1) Hidan, which we all saw as a taijutsu phenomenon to the point of tricking him so many times in a row that I came multiple times. Shikamaru isn't just some totem that stands around doing his jutsu.

He's also able to figure opponents out almost instantly. Coming from the Hyuuga Clan, a clan renowned globally for their Byakugan. Neji won't know Shikamaru is from the Nara clan just by looking at him, but Shikamaru will know Neji's from the Hyuuga clan just by looking at his eyes. So right off the bat he's gonna avoid close to mid-range contact with Neji. Although, this battle's gonna be pretty uphill for Shikamaru. To a point where the hill's almost perpendicular to the ground.

Somehow, with all the development we've seen from Shikamaru and how stagnant the Byakugan ability pool has become, no doubt Shikamaru will take this. Neji has to be super aggressive and come at Shikamaru without giving him any kind of break in order to take this. Doing so will risk his shadow getting caught by Shikamaru's technique. Once Neji's binded, Shikamaru can either impale him or strangle him. So Shikamaru's not necessarily a team fighter only. He can eliminate a caught opponent all on his own. He needs to be closer for his jutsu to be more effective, but once he's measured the distance of Neji's attack, he'll be as close as healthily possible and end Neji.
    Shikamaru was only able to take on Hidan because he preplanned the whole thing. When they first clash, Shikamaru was barely able to catch him. So Shikamaru defeating Hidan the second time around really doesn't apply to this situation.

The moment Neji sees Shikamaru send chakra to his shadow, Neji will figure out that he's from the Nara clan. And Neji isn't limited simply to close range. He can strike from a distance using his Empty Palm to knock Shikamaru off balance and move in for the finish. The Byakugan not showing any new abilities is hardly a bad thing considering it has all it needs to be useful. Not only does Neji have his rotational shield to knock away any attacks from Shikamaru, he has also shown that he can counter any binding technique by shooting his own chakra inside it, the prefect counter to escape Shikamaru's hold.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted xXan's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

To tell the truth i have no idea who would win here but to me it looks like Neji has the better chanses.

Anywhay we can put Kimi as winner of the lower tier right now.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lelo's Avatar
    Country
    Lebanon
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont see Neji winning this. Unless he can fly. Whatever he does it will be done on the floor and sooner or later he will get caught in Shika's shadow jutsus. Once he is its over. But it wouldnt be easy for Shika to catch him but he wil find a way

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity hakuthehedgehog's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Neji can use his empty palm jutsu to target Shiakamru from long range, he Neji can maintain his distance and still attack Shikamaru.

Also, his byakugan makes it impossible for Shikamaru to sneak a shadow on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    On that topic, anyone else think Naruto's the type of guy who would cry after sex?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikudou King View Post
    I fount it interesting that had Kushina not gotten knocked up, None of them would be in the current situation. She's more responsible for the Uchiha massacre then Danzo and co. Crap, Now Sasuke has a valid reason to use his hatred against Naruto.
    LMFAO

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member EMS's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

this a tough fight and i'm not ready to give my vote yet,(shikamaru stragedy vs neji perfect taijutsu and blocking chakra)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DementedKirby's Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing is, Neji's only got taijutsu. We haven't seen him do anything else. Even the ninjutsu based on his Byakugan are fighting type attacks. Not ninjutsu like breathing fire or shooting water or controlling the wind or anything. He haven't seen Neji use that kind of ninjutsu at all. Shikamaru on the other hand, has been shown to be an expert tactician in both ninja tools, surroundings, terrain, strategies, and finding counters against his attacks and he can fight from any range. Since Neji is a close to mid range fighter, Shikamaru's going long range and Neji can't counter that. The only reason he beat the spider (his name escapes me at the moment) was because he still had the webbing attached to his mouth. Had he not done that, Neji would've been done for. Neji was able to take on the spider summons, but was he able to do something to Kidoumaru? (just remembered his name:P) No. Was he able to do something against the giant spider he summoned? No. Neji had no way to go and deal with Kidoumaru because he was along range fighter and Neji didn't have anything to close the distance. And if Kidoumaru was able to discover the Byakugan's blindside, you can bet your sweet ass that Shikamaru will as well.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we have any good enough reason to suggest shikamaru has a chance except under exceptional circumstances. Heck, I would question whether shikamaru would win against part 1 neji who actually won against a sound 4 member. Neji should be the faster more skilled one for the most part. Shikamaru has virtually no offense, I don't see how he would keep up with neji.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kelv015's Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless Neji can one-shot Shika, he can't win. Neji can start his 64-palms strike for example, but once he lands ONE hit...his shadow will have contact with Shika's shadow and that's your ballgame. With just that one hit Neji won't be able to stop Shika's entire chakra system, so Shika takes this.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Aside from the fact that he has shown to be incredibly fast in landing his 64 strikes and can likely counter any shadow Shikamaru tries to trap him with using his own chakra force, Neji can in fact kill with a single touch. Simply hitting Shikamaru in the chest would do massive internal damage. After that, all Neji would have to do is wait for him to drop.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    - FLASH BOMBS - Neji can see it coming, but he could send out a different # of them first (Shuriken, Kunai, Tags) just to see what types he dodges and make an assessment on how to time his Flash Bomb with his Shadow Binding Technique... And Then Skewer Neji
    He doesn't have to choose, he has Kaiten.

Quote Quote:
    - WAIT FOR NEJI TO CLOSE IN - As we know Shikamaru has nearly impeccable timing, even if his opponent is Neji, if he focuses on timing his attacks to trap him, then we have OneTouchKnockOut Showdown... who ever lands there technique first wins...
    Seeing as how Neji's techs don't require handseals and he's faster, he would win.

Quote Quote:
    - NEUTRALIZE HIS EYES - Get him to focus on him (which he should be doing anyway) and then hit with a well timed Flash Bomb... He'll be blind for a few seconds, and he can be killed with a Kunai and Explosive Tag... or he can be Skewered
    He doesn't focus on one area, he focuses 360 degrees all the time. The only time a Hyuga has to focus in a specific direction is when they want to see farther.

Quote Quote:
    - WIRE STRING COMBO - He throws 3 Kunai, one with an Explosive Tag, one with a Flash Bomb, And One With Asuma's TrenchKnife. Neji Sees the Tag First and Notes it to be the deadliest projectile and dodges and parries simultaneously to avoid an explosion... Now he deals with the second one which could be a ball of poison, another bomb, or another devious trap & being a Jonin he uses his long range move to counter it and either blows it away or sets it off... If he blows it away it blows up at a fair distance not blinding him, and if it blows up to close he backs up to gain footing, and then he is too late notice the Trench Knife that passed him has a Wire attached and he just backed into his doom... ... ... He is then Skewered
    Once again, he has Kaiten. There's no need to go through all that trouble.

Quote Quote:
    Unless Neji can one-shot Shika, he can't win. Neji can start his 64-palms strike for example, but once he lands ONE hit...his shadow will have contact with Shika's shadow and that's your ballgame. With just that one hit Neji won't be able to stop Shika's entire chakra system, so Shika takes this.
    Shika isn't anywhere near fast enough to perform the handseals needed for his techs in between Neji's 64 hits. In fact, no one has been able to stop Neji mid-64 palms. They either survive the tech or they don't but no one has stopped it before.
    Last edited by White Silver King; June 29, 2011 at 10:04 PM.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Delbi View Post
    Shika needs to capture Neji once, wrap his shadow tendrills around him, and pierce him until hes dead. IMO, Neji is highly overrated, or did people forget him getting his ass owned against a clone, of a clone of Kisame. Mind you, that was a 30 percent clone, that made a water clone which is only 10 percent as strong as the orginal. So yea, Neji got owned by 3% of Kisame, Shika blew 100% of Hidan to pieces. Shika wins, Neji isn't fast enough to keep away from Shika.
    He did not get owned against the clone, he owned the clone by breaking out of the suiton prison. Don't forget Shikamaru needed Temari's help to beat Tayuya while Neji beat Kidomaru on his own despite Kidomaru knowing his weakness and being a long-range fighter. Shikamaru also had info on Hidan and prepared his trap in advance.

Although Shikamaru is smart, Neji is smart as well. Shikamaru has his shadow jutsu, but Neji has Byakugan and Gentle Fist, as well as Kaiten. Neji can't easily be caught off guard by Shikamaru due to his Byakugan, though Shikamaru can come up with a way to distract Neji. If Shikamaru gets hit once, he could go down quickly. If Shikamaru freezes Neji, Neji could nullify the technique with his own chakra. I think Neji would get this unless kagemane can't be stopped by another chakra.

I haven't voted yet since I'm not entirely sure who'd win.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    The True Ninja MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted jorped's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

A very interesting battle, i don't really know in who to vote. On one side we have the genius and also very smart, Neji.
    On the other side we have one of the most smart all of Naruto cast, that possess techniques that can very well even "catch" Neji.
    Neji has the Byakugan which makes him with more chances of winning, cuz he will see easily all the attacks that Shikamaru would throw to him.
    But Shikamaru is strong, and as they don't know anything about each other, i expect Shikamaru intelligence to play a very decisive role in this fight. This fight would be indeed awesome to watch , and i don't really am sure who would win

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DementedKirby's Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

People are seriously underestimating Shikamaru. Did anyone expect him to outsmart Temari? No. The only reason he had to resign the match was because he didn't know any offensive techniques which he now knows. He literally pulled that loss out of his ass. Temari didn't do anything to Shikamaru. Everything she did she played in his trap. What's to say Shikamaru won't do the same against Neji? One flash bomb and Neji's not only temporarily blinded by the flash, but that'll extend the shadows and Shikamaru's successful in binding Neji's shadow. Neji can't move and he can still explode chakra out of his body, but a shadow isn't tangible. Shikamaru won't be able to throw the chakra blade at him or stab him but he can still probably strangle him. Even so, I doubt Shikamaru won't figure out a counter against the Byakugan.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Shikamaru doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell vs. Neji. Neji is almost as fast as Lee and Guy, the moment Shikamaru takes the time to think of a strategy, he'll be in Neji's range...gentlefist for the win. This battle is actually horribly one sided. Shikamaru's clan is for support, without an offensive powerhouse like Chouji or an instant win like Ino's mind switch Shika is done.

Thread Closed
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast