Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Most Emotional Moments in One Piece?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mr.danly's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Most Emotional Moments in One Piece?

So I've been re-reading basically the entire series from scratch (i know, not the most productive use of time, haha), and I'm always blown away by Oda's storywriting. I'm not a particularly emotional person, I've never cried from watching a movie or reading a book, but there have been a ton of moments when I was reading over the past few weeks that shivers were definitely sent down my spine. What are your favorite emotional moments of One Piece (they don't have to necessarily be sad, just moments that really moved you)? Mine would definitely have to be:

Merry's funeral http://www.mangareader.net/103-2537-...apter-430.html

Pretty self-explanatory. Until that chapter, I'd always hated Usopp for leaving the crew over such a stupid reason. I'd never really thought of Merry as anything more than a ship, but this really hammered the point home to me that Merry meant so much more: that the SH crew really thought of Merry as one of their nakama, and that it was like witnessing the death of a close friend that had carried them through so much - good times and bad.

Mr. 2's sacrifice http://www.mangareader.net/103-2655-...apter-548.html

Sheesh. Mr. 2 skyrocketed to my top 5 non-Strawhat characters in One Piece after this.... just, wow. As ridiculous, flamboyantly freaky, and oftentimes annoying a character as Bon Kurei was/is, this scene meant even more to me than Ace's death. Mr. 2 instantly was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for one of his few true friends, and it was very clear from his repeated sacrifices for Luffy how much he valued that relationship.

and, weirdly enough, Karagura's promise to Noland. http://www.mangareader.net/103-2398-...apter-291.html

idk what it is about that scene, but I could really feel Karagura's remorse after treating Noland so badly, and the fact that he died trying to keep that promise just really got to me. That was probably when I realized how awesome a writer Oda is: the fact that two random-ass characters (that were only introduced for a few chapters and were only veryyy distantly related to some side-characters in the arc) could move me so deeply is absurd.

So? What are your top emotional one piece moments?
    Last edited by mr.danly; June 23, 2011 at 09:10 PM.
    Currently Following/Completed: One Piece, DGM, HxH, Naruto, Deadman Wonderland, Air Gear, Psyren, Fairy Tail, Bleach.

2. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most Emotional Moments in One Piece?

I can't believe you did not put Robin's tears for living on that list.

I think it's the moment I said "This is the best manga EVER"
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner zetruz's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Erm, Ace's death?

"I WADDA LIVE" was great as well, agreed Uriel.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll just name a few that I find great specially when animated (most of these show up often in openings too)....

Luffy to Shanks: But Shanks! Your arm!!! (flashback)

Zoro to Luffy: From now on... I will never lose to anyone ever again! ... Do you have a problem with that Pirate King? (after fight with Mihawk)

Sanji to Zeff: Owner Zeff! Thank you for everything you've done for me! I will never forget you for the rest of my life!

Luffy to Nami: Nami!! You are my nakama! (after defeating Arlong)

Luffy to Chopper: Shut up!! Lets go! (and chopper decides to join )

Strawhats to Vivi: *silence* (shows the Xs on their arms as a farewell)

Luffy ringing the golden bell and its sound reaching Montblank Cricket was great just because of everything it represented including the flashback of the tragic end of Norland and Calgara as well as what it meant for Viper.

Robin to Olivia: Are you my mommy? (flashback)

The whole scene with Robin declaring her wish and Sogeking burning down the world government flag was superb (as Uriel already mentioned).

Merry's funeral as well as Luffy's decision & arguement/battle with Usopp over his decision.

Luffy: I couldn't even save a single Nakama. (Sabondy Archipelago)

Luffy to Bon Clay: Thank You!! (final goodbye at Impel Down)

Luffy: I still have my friends (counting up what he has left after the war).

I guess I let the list get kinda long....but that's most of what I can think of right now.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Strawhats to Vivi: *silence* (shows the Xs on their arms as a farewell)
    You quoted all my fav parts but i believe i started crying or rather getting emotional from when Vivi started her speech xD
    Also when Vivi told them to go to a doctor because it was this ships greatest speed when Nami was sick was quite emotional in a way ^^
    And the doctor words to chopper when he stripped naked and took him in where epic.

and now more recently Otohimes great struggles and her death ^^ that flashback was certainly emotional =]

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I also forgot to add....when sakura blossoms bloom on Drum Island just before Chopper leaves and he starts crying that was really great too.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Brook's crew singing Bink's Sake while they succumb to the poison. Also Robin's flashback. Few times I have teared up/cried while reading a manga.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my favourites was where I think the manga really made a turn for a more emotional story:

Where Nami, after losing 10 years of hard work to Arlong's paid off marines, tries to convince her town not to enter the battle. Following her helplessness, she furiously stabs her own arm to remove the tattoo of Arlong before Luffy, who knows nothing of what's going on, stops her, passes her his hat and goes to kick Arlong's ass.

There are some really great moments in One Piece, and I think my "most emotional" has to go to Merry (it always brings a tear), but the above moment holds a special place in my One Piece heart as it was the first real thing that moved me.

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

13. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Sabo's letter to ace entrusting him to take care of luffy and that speech about freedom.
    and Ace promised that he won't die.
    The only reason why that flashback is so touching is because it took place after his death.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Makino, Dadan, Luffy, and Whitebeard Crew's Mourning for Ace

Bobbas Veltez 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

In no particular order:

Merry Death and Funeral- It's more emotional when you take in the the previous journey to Skypiea and the ordeals it went through constantly being broken down, Water 7, it travelling to Enies Lobby alone to rescue its friends and crew and holding together long enough to get them to safety despite being broken to the point where the best shipwrights in the world had no more hopes for it. That act for me, thinking back now is what made Merry such a loyal nakama. Then you have the viking funeral; "I wish I could've travelled longer with you guys", it just pulls at your heartstrings.

Ace's death- I genuinely cried during this scene. The fisting was hard to take() but the actual death scene and him recalling his life and apologising was emotional. What pushed it over the edge for me was the last page with Luffy breaking down; his expression just can't be summed up in a single word. It's as if he's realised that life no longer has meaning for him, that's lost the most important person in his life and just didn't know what to do or how to recover; the look of man who's lost everything. Or so he thought.

Whitebeard's death and speech-"Goodbye my sons" . What a man, what an epic death. Fought to his last breath and almost longer. Creating an escape route for his children, then single-handedly taking on one of the most diabolical and craziest characters in the series and his crew, plus the marines. Truly the strongest.

Luffy saves Nami- 2 scenes here come to mind, the first being Luffy entrusting Nami with his hat in order to go kick Arlong's ass, and then in the end him asking her "ARE YOU MY NAKAMA?" damn Luffy.

Other emotional moments are of course Robin's screaming for Luffy to save her; "I WADDA LIIIIVE!", no mention of Queen Otohime's death and Fukaboshi's rage face and then the promise with the fingers...that really got to me. There's probably a few others I'm forgetting but that's it right now.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure there was a thread very similar to this already. Because i can remember well listing the events, which were the most emotional ones for me, once.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't that thread Best Moment in One Piece?
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure anymore. But it was very similar to this one. It's a few months ago.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast