Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Asarii's Question Thread

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Asarii's Question Thread

Lately I've picked up the hobby of drawing again, and I'm learning at a snail's pace. Since I expect to have a lot of questions, I created a thread to compile them all together. (I hope it's okay!)

Right now I'm trying to progress from drawing a face from the front to drawing it in a 3/4 profile or any other angle that's not from the front/side. I've looked at several tips and guidelines, but the features still look unbalanced. Even if the face is balanced, the 3/4 profile looks different from the same face I drew from the front.

Are there key things that I should keep in mind? How do I keep everything balanced?

Thanks in advance.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member David Rose's Avatar
    Too far from sea to swim. Still inconsistent weather
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asarii's Question Thread

Well, the one tip i can give you would be to start sketching real faces. You can start real rough and fast, like 5-10 min each and do a handfull of em a day. Further you could draw movie stars like Robert de Niro or Jeff Bridges or something like that, just people who have very prominent features. From my experience it's easier this way, than always going for the normal everyday perfect face. And it's easier to google pictures of stars and find different angles.
    I think you get a better start at drawing, by starting with real people, even when your initial plan is drawing manga, as you first need a real understanding of anatomy, before developing your own style. Otherwise there is the big chance you'll just end up drawing like someone else, which shouldn't be your first goal from the beginning. Well, practice makes perfect. :P

>>David rose to beat the Philistines, with five smooth stones and a sling.<<

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asarii's Question Thread

Drawing real people and those with features such as Robert de Niro and Jeff Bridges seem pretty tough, but I'll give it a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    I think you get a better start at drawing, by starting with real people, even when your initial plan is drawing manga, as you first need a real understanding of anatomy, before developing your own style. Otherwise there is the big chance you'll just end up drawing like someone else, which shouldn't be your first goal from the beginning. Well, practice makes perfect. :P
    This makes sense. I'm trying my hardest not to be influenced too much by other people. Hopefully I can figure out my own style.

Thank you for the tips!

New Reply