Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Who wins?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Itachi

117 84.17%
  • Gaara

22 15.83%
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Itachi vs Gaara

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Itachi vs Gaara

Itachi's Susano has the ultimate defense item (mirror) and the ultimate genjutsu offensive weapon (the sword).

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Gaara is actually a good matchup for Itachi. Because of Itachi's low chakra, he'd have to concentrate to use exact chakra for Amaterasu, which gives Gaara enough time to react and set up his sand barrier. If nothing else, Gaara's sand is a great counter to Amaterasu. Maybe on the first try, Itachi would be able to get Gaara, but Gaara has a layer of sand protecting him, no? Or was that with Shukaku's help? I don't think he has the auto defense since that was Shukaku's ability, but anyhow, Gaara has a great way to defend Itachi's long to mid range ninjutsu: sand. If it can handle Amaterasu, it can handle any katon jutsu Itachi can do, and although Itachi can do suiton, I highly doubt he can do it without water like Kisame.

Unlike Sasuke against Jiraiya, Itachi has no defense that can be thought of if Gaara decides to sink him. Maybe the Yata Mirror could protect Itachi, but I doubt it's omnidirectional. Unless Susano'o can pull him out of the sand or Itachi has a way to get out of the way, I could see Gaara sucking him up. Itachi's Sharingan and speed makes it hard to tell though since he could react in time to avoid it and use a kage bunshin to save himself. Susano'o is a problem here, but I can't see Itachi keeping it up for that long, and the sword doesn't look to be as fast as Sasuke's arrows. Orochimaru brags too much. <_< However, if Itachi does manage to trick Gaara, then he should be able to stab him with Sword of Totsuga.

I know Itachi with 30% chakra can't do Mangekyo, but what about Itachi with 50% chakra, having have used a kage bunshin? He could get Gaara from both sides with his Susano'o if the sword can go through sand.

I see no way for Gaara to counter Itachi's Tsukuyomi though. If Gaara's third eye is connected with chakra, meaning he sends chakra signals like Nagato did to his Pain bodes, then Tsukuyomi and genjutsu will most likely work on him.

Since Gaara doesn't have the protection of Shukaku, his taijutsu defense isn't as good against Itachi's speed and Sharingan. He probably has the layer of sand to protect him, but... I actually can't see Itachi breaking the sand, at least not without involving explosion in any way, like exploding kunai or exploding bunshin. However, it does cost Gaara chakra to keep up that sand, so that's one disadvantage here. Plus, the gourd is made of sand itself, so Itachi can't surprise attack Gaara without getting wrapped in sand, though he could avoid that. I have no idea if Itachi can maneuver his way out of sand's line of attack since Sharingan may not be able to predict where the sand goes or does like it can a human, but if it can, then Gaara loses one of his advantages.

However, I could see Itachi using his bakuton kage bunshin to take out Gaara. He could get up close with Gaara, use explosive kunai, and then blow the clone up once Gaara's defensive layer of sand falls apart. Without a Sharingan and most likely Byakugan as well, Gaara has no way of telling whether he's fighting a clone or not or when it'll explode. It's hard to tell who'll win since both are smart, although we haven't seen how brilliant Itachi is in battle. I would like to say he's far more brilliant than Sasuke, which makes perfect sense, but no proof.

Hmm, I haven't voted yet, but I wanna vote for Itachi since he's my absolute favorite character.

3. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nath Uchiha View Post
    If Jiraiya was able to defeat Sasuke, I see no reason why Gaara can't defeat Itachi.
    This is a beast of another color though. Sasuke and Itachi are both Uchiha, but there strengths are different. Likewise, Jiraiya and Gaara utilize different ninjutsu. Whereas Sasuke appears to be the more skilled in taijutsu, Itachi is a genius of genjutsu which has been commented upon many times in the manga. His Tsukoyomi is more formidable. And while his ninjutsu might not be stronger than Sasuke's (Kirin and whatnot), he seems to be faster and smarter at utilizing them (as demonstrated in his first fight against Kakashi). And consider how skillfully he pushed Sasuke to the edge of his limit. The man knows his strategy.

But what I think will give this fight to Itachi is his version of Susanoo which has those mystical weapons. Gaara's fast and has solid offense and defense, but can he stop that mystical sword?

The Naruto 644 Review is up!

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Delbi's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Itachi makes a Kage Bushin and proceeds to use his extreme speed to dodge into Gaara's defense and kill him. Love Gaara to death, but his weakness is speed and Itachi is one of the 5 fastest ninja in the entire manga. Aside from that, Sussano would obliterate Gaara very quickly, not to mention finger point genjutsu.
    "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, two shinobi with varying levels of haxx. Which one can out haxx the other? I guess I would lean towards Itachi because of his speed advantage. His main jutsu's would have little effect on Gaara. Amaterasu has shown to be ineffective against Gaara's sand. Tsukiyomi would be the most effective only if Itachi catches Gaara out of his sand. Gaara's jutsus probably can't catch itachi unless he goes for those wide-scale jutsu, such as the Sand Waterfall or the jutsu he used against Deidara.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted zerocooldx's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nath Uchiha View Post
    If Jiraiya was able to defeat Sasuke, I see no reason why Gaara can't defeat Itachi.
    That won't happen. Because no character that i can remember from any manga gets trolled as hard as Sasuke does. Besides Itachi's abilities are too overpowered for someone to overcome, especially if hes fighting to kill. Basically of the fights that we have seen from him he has had no intention of killing his opponents. He just tested them in his own way.

"Upon the back of his body not a wound of retreat scars it."
    One Piece is a series created by a genius, it's a masterpiece, it's like a fine wine, it only gets better with time.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

To make this thread alive as long as possible
    Quote Originally Posted by biggchiefmo
    Trying not to be biased but I dont see Gaara winning against my Fav. character Itachi!
    Don't worry, its not biased because its the truth xd

Quote Originally Posted by biggchiefmo
    With Amaterasu Itachi could turn all Gaara's sand to glass, and though they both have and absolute defense, Itachi's is even more absolute and superior in every way since he can not only defend but viciously attack as well.
    Gaara with his sand can do that as well: defend and attack at the same time. Still, there's a big difference in power, especially when Susano'o wields sword of Totsuka.

Quote Originally Posted by UchihaHunter
    Lee and Sasuke's speed in Part 1 is inferior to Itachi's speed.
    Actually, if Gaara's sand can block Amaterasu, the speed of a character is no longer an issue <unless you're faster than Amaterasu > He nicely put sand in-between Sasuke and Raikage too. <though I don't know if its a good comparison> xP

Quote Originally Posted by Nath Uchiha
    If you're saying this for fun, and you also voted for fun for Gaara, there are 2 votes for Gaara, yey! xD

Quote Originally Posted by M3J
    If it can handle Amaterasu, it can handle any katon jutsu Itachi can do
    It was already established in part 1 that katon jutsus are nothing against sand

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack612
    Whereas Sasuke appears to be the more skilled in taijutsu, Itachi is a genius of genjutsu which has been commented upon many times in the manga. His Tsukoyomi is more formidable. And while his ninjutsu might not be stronger than Sasuke's (Kirin and whatnot)
    Although you mentioned ninjutsu, I beg to differ with the first sentence: Sasuke appears to be more skilled in ninjutsu in general - it even applies to MS usage <still weaker in genjutsu department like its Itachi's department, but better in Amaterasu - ninjutsu skills>

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack612
    And while his ninjutsu might not be stronger than Sasuke's (Kirin and whatnot), he seems to be faster and smarter at utilizing them (as demonstrated in his first fight against Kakashi).
    It was not only shown in that first occurence: remember, Sasuke, a REAL Uchiha compared to Kakashi <lol >, wasn't able to see when Itachi did seals for kage bunshin too in their fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbi
    but his weakness is speed and Itachi is one of the 5 fastest ninja in the entire manga.
    If he can block Amaterasu there's no reason he cannot block such fast shinobi xd

Quote Originally Posted by eefrit
    Gaara's jutsus probably can't catch itachi unless he goes for those wide-scale jutsu, such as the Sand Waterfall or the jutsu he used against Deidara.
    I'm not so sure about it; I mean: sure, this attacks are nice but if Gaara in some way uses them on Itachi pre-usage of MS - I don't think Itachi will be caught <even if those techniques are 'large'> I mean: the moment sth like that would be launched and Itachi would be drowned there would be 'poof' and Itachi, the real one not bunshin or sth, would stand next to Gaara and kill him with kunai in the head If its Itachi while in usage of MS - I see chances for Itachi to fell for it <I mean: nice timing of Gaara> Nonetheless, like I said: I don't see Gaara doing it so effectively - if Gaara would like to harm in any way Itachi, I think he should do some combo attacks with sand <like the one on Kimi with Suna Shigure, legs, sabaku kyu, etc.>

Quote Originally Posted by zerocooldx
    Basically of the fights that we have seen from him he has had no intention of killing his opponents. He just tested them in his own way.
    He basically spared their lives.
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

11. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Shaunlim's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Gaara has shown to possess the necessary counters towards Itachi's MS so I would say he puts up a valiant fight but chances are he would lose about 3 out of 5 times against Itachi each time they fight because Itachi's genjutsu skills are that good. Only way for Gaara to really counter this would be to hide in his dome and use the third eye to avoid the genjutsu if that is able to prevent him from getting genjutsu-ed. That and Itachi have shown some jutsu speed that even Kakashi could barely keep up with. Since Gaara doesn't have his automatic defense here, Itachi could possibly overwhelm him with combos.

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually forgot about that! He did block that Enton tech from pretty far away...Gaara, is genjutsu really the only way to beat you now? Geez, that sand is hax, hahaha

He still has to defeat Susanoo/Tsukuyomi, but outside of those, Gaara's actually got a nice shot!

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I gonna give this one to Itachi. Itachi may have low stamina, but that won't hinder him much. Itachi was able to employ several normal genjutsus, two of his crow clones, two Great Fireball techniques, two Tsukuyomi, two Amaterasu, a semi-Susanoo, full Susanoo, and an Amaterasu implant all against Sasuke while nearly blind. Considering he won't need half that stuff to beat Gaara, he should be able to use plenty of techniques to beat Gaara before he comes close to running out.

With his ability to create a clone faster then even the Sharingan can see and over a distance, Itachi wouldn't have any trouble making a clone to ambush Gaara from behind. Combined with his excellent speed, he'll be able to keep Gaara off balance, especially now that Gaara no longer has his automatic defense. If Kakashi and Sasuke had a hard time defending against Itachi's attacks, then Gaara would likely have an even harder time. But Itachi's greatest advantage will be his genjutsu ability. Itachi has already proven multiple times that it's easy for him to trap his opponent in a genjutsu right off the bat. With no way to defend against being put under right at the start of battle, Gaara won't know if he's attacking the real Itachi or a simple phantom nor would he be able to react against an attack made invisible.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, er, can anyone tell me when Itachi showed speed? I don't remember, I know he's one of the fastest with handseals.

18. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Oh, er, can anyone tell me when Itachi showed speed? I don't remember, I know he's one of the fastest with handseals.
    The only one that I can think of is him appearing behind Kakashi's water clone. Honestly though, I don't remember Itachi showing much speed feats. The only reason why people claim that he is "that" fast is mostly due to his 5 in speed in the DB IMO.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Delbi's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

There's the fact he's faster than Sasuke who's incredibly fast, and his ability to literally appear next to and behind the Konoha Jounin he faced in part 1. And he has a 5 in speed according to the databook.

Also, the whole Gaara blocking Amaterasu was Gaara blocking Amaterasu that was already formed, he didn't stop the look and instant shoot version.

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunlim View Post
    The only one that I can think of is him appearing behind Kakashi's water clone. Honestly though, I don't remember Itachi showing much speed feats. The only reason why people claim that he is "that" fast is mostly due to his 5 in speed in the DB IMO.
    Which is higher than Sasuke's speed of 4.5. And Sasuke has a load of feats displaying his extreme speed.
    "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, when did he show he was faster than Sasuke?

Though if his speed is equal to Sasuke, then he should be able to beat Gaara unless Gaara's compensated his fighting style and improved. Even then, the speed was an issue mostly because of Gaara's automatic defense, but as long as Itachi can move fast enough to avoid his offensive sand attacks and manual sand defense, then he should have even better chances of winning.

24. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Delbi View Post

Which is higher than Sasuke's speed of 4.5. And Sasuke has a load of feats displaying his extreme speed.
    Which is why I said it is mostly due to the DB rather than real feats. I mean he haven't really showed that he is that much faster than Sasuke even in their fight. I get that he is half blind and all that but feat wise, Itachi really have nothing much except in part 1 where he appeared behind Kakashi's water clone which is impressive.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Hmm, when did he show he was faster than Sasuke?

Though if his speed is equal to Sasuke, then he should be able to beat Gaara unless Gaara's compensated his fighting style and improved. Even then, the speed was an issue mostly because of Gaara's automatic defense, but as long as Itachi can move fast enough to avoid his offensive sand attacks and manual sand defense, then he should have even better chances of winning.
    I would say that Gaara have improved since he was able to stop Raikage's attack in time. Then there's also the part where he managed to stop Kimimaru's attack when it was really just a few cms away from Lee's face. If Itachi wants to get pass the defenses and attacks, he would have an easier time doing so with genjutsus and KBs. I really don't see Gaara getting speedblitz anymore to be honest.

Thread Closed
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast