Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Life Sciences

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts on the Life Sciences

You should see the termite mounds in Africa and Australia, Mark.

When Europeans first saw them in Australia, they thought they were anthropogenic.
    Last edited by faintsmile1992; December 22, 2011 at 11:54 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

it's about the SCI-FI Megalopolis' below ground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFg21x2sj-M

Last edited by HegemonKhan; December 23, 2011 at 12:06 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I should watch Animal Planet a little more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW76UxudEMk

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ooooo, I love that show series, Monsters Inside of Me! (though it can be quite gross-disturbing-scary, lol. I'll NEVER NEVER go to Africa, laughs)

(It's worse for us males, when the parasite worm... finds our other side... our front side, cough cough! shivers. the wrong way to augment, lol)

--------------

P.S.

I saw that very tv episode that you linked on tv when it aired here, in the U.S.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; December 23, 2011 at 01:18 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Google for the candiru, HK...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQWgUht-ObI

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to put those fishes in public swimming pools so lil kids or babies won't pee in them

anyways, we should get back to actual discussed topics and not just funny+horror stories-events of parasites or small fish...
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; December 23, 2011 at 08:52 PM.

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    Need to put those fishes in public swimming pools so lil kids or babies won't pee in them

anyways, we should get back to actual discussed topics and not just funny+horror stories-events of parasites or small fish...
    Parasitology is a form of biology, HK

My favourite parasites are the pentastomes, really weird invertebrates and no one knows what they really are...

And the candiru, whih knows how to treat you men correctly!

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

HK, read this text which touches upon the life sciences and the social sciences.

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...=1#post2656698

---------- Post added December 27, 2011 at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was December 24, 2011 at 08:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Darwin do not apply to humans since there is no more natural selection.
    Also saying our life mainly aimed toward reproduction is quite restrictive. I was just hearing the medical program of France culture this morning. The subject was women and menopause. One of the first topic was completely contradictory with this hypothesis. A woman life expectancy is now 90 years old (in modern country) whereas she can make babies only while she is between 15 and 50. Which means half of her life is not aimed at the reproduction. And since our societies are aging more and more, it means they are going further and further away from this principle
    It doesn't disprove that females live to breed when they're younger, it just means that 3 generation families are natural for the species and that older individuals continue to contribute to the group by inclusive fitness.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

according to my anthropology teacher:

Human females *CAN* have babies past age 50, however, the baby is more and more likely to be majorly damaged/unhealthy/deformed/still born/dead/immaturely born/etc.
    Quote Quote:
    also, females do create more eggs, albiet like only 1-2 per year or every other year, after the 50 eggs are used up and beyond age 50.
    Quote Quote:
    Human females start with like 728752948748937489274 eggs, but by the time they're a fetus/born, they are reduced to having only ~ 50 eggs.
    And the optimal age for fatherhood is 14 and for motherhood is 22, give or take one or two years for both genders, which makes it dysgenic to delay parenthood as modern societies do, so pairings like Claymore's Clare X Raki (19yo female X 12yo male?) and FFXIII's Hope X Lightning (14yo male X 21yo female) before their timeskips are actually perfect from a standpoint of what confers fitness for the ethny.

Quote Quote:
    Humans ARE adapting/evolving, we're turning into aliens, huge cranians, with tiny mouths/chins. seriously take your generic picture of an alien's head and compare it to human heads, especially some female celebrities, exactly the same shape, only difference is that our human heads aren't green, lol.

this is because, intelligence is our desired trait, so our brains are being bred bigger and bigger, which means bigger craniums/heads for it. Due to our soft processed food, we have less and less need for teeth, jaws, and mouth, and so our mouth/jaw/teeth is getting smaller and smaller, until it disappears.

I myself, had/has such a small mouth, that it couldn't fit my teeth. Not only did I have to ahve my 4 wisdom teeth removed, but 4 more of my permanent teeth as well.

humans normally have:

(2-1-2-3) x 4 quadrants (upper left, upper right, lower elft, lower right) = 32 teeth

2 incisors = tearing/cutting
    1 canine = piercing/puncturing
    2 pre-molars = crushing
    3 molars (including the wisdom tooth) = grinding

I personally have:

(2-1-1-2) x 4 = 24 teeth

2 incisors
    1 canine
    1 pre-molar
    2 molars (no wisdom tooth)
    Make your boasting less obvious, HK.

But brain size has actually been decreasing worldwide, as humans have become more sedentary and self-domesticated themselves in the process.

Quote Quote:
    the fertilized egg has its own DNA, it's a new organism (a "living breathing" baby), and is not apart of the mother at all, and thus the mother's immune system sees the fertilized egg as an invading foreign body that must be killed. A female has developed three methods of dealing with her hostile immune system trying to kill her fertilized egg:

1. get the fertilized egg out of her body! our egg laying oganisms.

2. get the fertilized egg "half-way out of the body". our marsupials with their pouch like the kangaroo.

3. create a protective barrier, that shields the fertilized egg, from being known about by the mother's white blood cells (immune system). our placenta organisms, such as humans.
    Tell that to feminists!

---------- Post added January 02, 2012 at 05:51 AM ---------- Previous post was December 27, 2011 at 03:40 PM ----------

Medieval Monogamy

http://laurabetzig.org/pdf/JFH95.pdf
    Last edited by faintsmile1992; December 27, 2011 at 10:50 AM.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was hanging around, and I saw some statements that made me wince - just would like to make people aware of this!

There is significant scientific and economic potential in the stars. We have to look at that, to grow as a society instead of stagnation. The US has already regressed and lost the ability to do manned spaceflight. There is so much science and so many jobs in exploring the unknown. All we have to do is seize it!

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    The planets core is not spinning meaning that the planet is not generating the electromagnetic shield which protects it from cosmic and other sorts of radiation.
    Wrong! There is a magnetic field, just a weak (~3nT) and distorted one (maximum magnetic field at south pole). A big question is, will the strongest magnetic field be enough to block a majority of ionizing radiation?

And that's my joooob...

Quote Quote:
    You could never make the environment fit for life overall, the radiation would make sure of that.
    Lalala~ Tell that to the Archaea in the Atacama Desert and Antarctica! The oldest kinds of life have the strangest adaptations - like how Chroococcidiopsis can survive almost nuclear reactor levels of radiation, and still survive (no, it's not cyanobacteria that evolved around a nuclear reactor, but another adaptation to handle molecular radicals.)

Seriously - we are learning more about Mars, and we have to use the most alien organisms on our planet to verify.

is cyanobacteria the bacterii that eats/breathes iron (Fe - Ferious) ???
    No, an Archeaen that photosynthesizes. It's considered part of the reason for the oxygen boom in early Earth's history. However, the weak Martian magnetic field means it can't hold lighter gases like diatomic oxygen, so they are ionized and "eroded".

Quote Quote:
    natural selection is merely the consequences of the relationships amongst you, others, and the environment.
    Careful here! I think you start mixing up two terms, sexual selection and natural selection. Sexual selection is a subset of natural selection.

Now, the rest of this comment is purely my speculation, and not facts. I am disclaiming ahead of time so I don't sound condescending.

Quote Quote:
    People should sleep only with good mates, and put family first over selfishness and harmful demands to conform to a sick society.
    I don't deny the society is over-sexualized right now. However, people make mistakes. The stupid do breed. All we can do is educate others and minimize the consequences (because a discordant family can become an economic hazard.)

Quote Quote:
    In the case of females, never feel pressured to put work before motherhood like society brainwashes people to do.
    Personally I believe if you want to be a mother, more power to ya. But you got to have stability before that, and it's a terribly unstable time. You and your spouse could have a job, get pregnant, and then both you and your spouse lose your jobs and get thrown on the streets. Then what happens to the child? Probably grows up in decay and uneducated, or traumatized (having experienced the minimum of having a home foreclosure going on and that I barely survived by choosing my difficult path, it is emotionally tolling.)

It's sadly just not the time to have a family. It's not even a time to get married. If you are married, you are considered a liability to the company because that spouse is taking away the time you could be dedicating to the company. That's not what I believe, but it is the belief that has permeated the environment.

Quote Quote:
    If a man finds it easy to get sexual access to a woman, he will take it for granted and make no investment in her wellbeing. Is that really good for a girl?
    I don't get why, when you are concerned about this case (where the morning-after pill sounds likely to be used), you ignore the cases of rape, miscarriage, genetic diseases, and financial disaster, which are by far the dominant cases for possible abortion. Just general horrible disasters.

Quote Quote:
    Tell that to feminists!
    He just said a fetus is a parasite on the woman. Yes. Do tell that to us feminists.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@Earthforge

what is the bacteria that "eats-breathes" iron ???, (sorry for confusing this with the cyanobacteria, your description sounds familar, as I saw a tv show on the cyanobacteria - the tidepool "pot-looking" organisms or is that something else, argh - I'm cionfusing myself even more now, lol. Okay, according to the SNES game E.V.O. : Search for Eden, those tidepool "pot-like" organisms are strolites. I just confused this bacteria's name for whatever the bacteria's name that "eats-breathes" the iron, as it's very significant, and it shows that life can survive in outerspace, riding on an iron asteroid... such as possibly from mars, carrying life to earth... the theory that we could actually be originally Martians, having colonized the earth, lol. And now, we yearn-look to returning to our "home", Mars). And along with whatever the name of the iron bacteria is also the other bacteria that survive the methane and whatever other poisonous gases such as from volcanoes and/or volcanic underwater vents-"geysers" on the sea floor. And then I think you're mentioning about this with the bacteria that can live in lava and/or hot geysers-pools on the surface, such as in Yellowstone, right?

err... looking up stuff now.. seems there's no such name as strolites.. lol

(I know those "pot like" tidepool organisms exist, I just forgot what they're called... argh... stromites... no that's mineral... argh... they have something to do with early life- or land life - ecosystem-climate... change.. argh...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_evolution
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemotroph
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaea (Ah!, I recall learning about these too, forgotten them, and didn't recognize them as you mentioned about them your post, hehe)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanobacteria

--------------------------

Also, amen!

Outerspace is important... I too am not pleased with our "cutting" of our space program by Obama... (and probably there was already a decline in funding under Bush too, and probably further back as well too).

also, I can't remember if you've seen-read this or not, and whether you commented upon it or not, so if you haven't, I'd be interested in what your thoughts are on this, Earthforge:

Heero Yuy's School Speech from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing:

"Earth the planet in the solar system that miraculously gave birth to life. In the year After Colony 195, with the development of the colonies people now live in new surroundings. Thanks to plentiful natural resources and cultivated technological abilities. However, this new world is nothing but an imitation of human kinds motherland the Earth. But why were the colonies made in the first place? I hear the main purpose was technological development to improve the lives of human kind on Earth. Did human kind start asking too much from this imitation world? The self-sustained way of life is more stable than life on Earth especially since it lacks the risk of natural disasters.

It appeared that this unlimited growth was guaranteeing the eternal existence of human kind. Perhaps there was an age where people dreamed of the possibilities in the outer space; where they could start from scratch. However it's unthinkable that the colonies or that humankind will ever forget the Earth. What did technological development in the colonies bring to the Earth? The kind of technology the Earth wants most: military power. Destruction is part of human nature that can never be gotten rid of; and now the colonies are developing a militaristic disposition. The colonies cannot forget the Earth.

The Earth has great beauty. The animals known as humans have acquired such strength that they even think about controlling this planet for themselves. From the point of view of a planets life the life of a living thing lasts no more than an instant. But in the end, it is only themselves that humans can think of. Nothing changes. The time spent by humans in outer space has been a complete waste. The ideal is just a dream.

This false pacifism. This false living space. Outer space is nothing but a breeding ground for even more battles in the future. Wars throughout history have claimed many lives. Although human kind has never been able to forget the sorrow that has been caused by the wars, they have not stopped fighting. The blood and tears they shed in battle are merely ceremonial. One can't speak of history without referring to the wars in each era as important events. I'm sure the pale pep talks of fighting for peace have been repeated numerous times in the past. The colonies say they need armaments to maintain peace. It's no different from on Earth. The colonies think they have joined the big boys. I guess they believe that the bloodshed would lead to higher morale [to further unite the colonies.]

So why do people fight anyway? Perhaps the meaning of human existence lies within their will to fight. People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle. And it's also a fact that the ones who are actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted."

----------------

Also, I got a super hard question for you, Earthforge:

Why do humans have such a fascination with the "heavens" (outerspace-stars and/or religious-God 's Heaven), why do we always look upwards to the "heavens" for many various actions or behaviors or for whatever ???

maybe we are foreign invaders, colonizing earth, having originated from somewhere else in outerspace, hehe...

or maybe it's just because we are "Children of the Stars", literally made out of "Star Dust", hehe

-----------------

P.S.

I love this science stuff, and would love to talk-discuss things with you Earthforge

I'm not an expert at any of this stuff, but I'm a nerd, watching lots of educational shows on this stuff, so I'm pretty knowledgeable, albiet bad with terms-names and with a bad memory too... lol

P.S.S.

also, about our magnetic field (van allen radiation belts, I believe it's called), it has changed over the earth's history. the magnetic north pole was once at the earth's southern pole, and it has switched back and forth lots of or a few times anyways, hehe

P.S.S.S.

our radiation field can't stop neutrinos

can you produce a radiation field that can stop (catch) neutrinos ??? (I think some lab is trying to do this, hehe. Unfortunately the odds are extremely low... so it's going to be a long wait for them... if it even works, lol)

the question is also... are neutrinos harmful to us in anyway... I can't remember what was said about them... they're small enough to pass through our body... or something like that... I think... but that doesn't mean they might not still have some effect on us, a negative one in some way possibly.

my brain fails me at the moment... but what about those energy-radiation "death ray" beams from quasars and/or black holes... don't we have some dying star that's pointed right at us with its energy-radiation beams, can we make and/or can a magnetic field stop those, hehe ?

and Earthforge... where's our personal magnetic field generators, for our soldiers and/or Star Trek spaceships, energy shields, hehe

P.S.S.S.S.

there's some really awesome games with a lot of really good space-NASA science-stuff:

Outpost 1 for the PC (uber old game): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz5vYv7nIDo
    Alpha Centauri (Xpac: Alien Crossfire) for the PC: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/96102-sid...auri/faqs/2480
    Master of Orion 1 for the PC (uber old game): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYz0-AGDZoc

Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 04, 2012 at 03:02 AM.

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by earthforge View Post
    I was hanging around, and I saw some statements that made me wince - just would like to make people aware of this!

There is significant scientific and economic potential in the stars. We have to look at that, to grow as a society instead of stagnation. The US has already regressed and lost the ability to do manned spaceflight. There is so much science and so many jobs in exploring the unknown. All we have to do is seize it!
    There may be potential but that potential is not explorable, and projects such as manned spaceflight and terraforming are way too costly for any nation to explore in the present, until it becomes more cost effective to travel through space. Frankly the obsession with non-functional projects such as manned spaceflight is a sign of civilisational senility, rather than scrapping them being a sign of regression. Governments could have funded something pragmatic with all of that money in the first place!

Quote Quote:
    Careful here! I think you start mixing up two terms, sexual selection and natural selection. Sexual selection is a subset of natural selection.
    But regardless of this technicality, evol psychs really do tend to talk about them as discrete categories in conversation, like HK did.

Quote Quote:
    I don't deny the society is over-sexualized right now. However, people make mistakes. The stupid do breed. All we can do is educate others and minimize the consequences (because a discordant family can become an economic hazard.)
    And if the planned population and birth control movement was taken back from those who seek to separate reproduction, sex, and the family unit, then the selective enforcement of contraceptive implants and sterilization are the way that will minimise the negative consequences of sex most effectively. Everyone capable should have as many children as possible, or at least three children per woman, with a special emphasis upon high IQ, successful parents to have more children.

Quote Quote:
    Personally I believe if you want to be a mother, more power to ya. But you got to have stability before that, and it's a terribly unstable time. You and your spouse could have a job, get pregnant, and then both you and your spouse lose your jobs and get thrown on the streets. Then what happens to the child? Probably grows up in decay and uneducated, or traumatized (having experienced the minimum of having a home foreclosure going on and that I barely survived by choosing my difficult path, it is emotionally tolling.)

It's sadly just not the time to have a family. It's not even a time to get married. If you are married, you are considered a liability to the company because that spouse is taking away the time you could be dedicating to the company. That's not what I believe, but it is the belief that has permeated the environment.
    Then all someone would have to do is take a different type of job, and sacrifice your level of personal income for stability? What good is the level of income beyond having enough money? The best kinds of jobs are in sectors such as farm labour.

And how on earth can you put 'uneducated' on the same level as 'traumatised'. Thats the thinking of people who have kids for 'social reasons', so they can live off their kids success, then the kind of pressure to live up to parental expectations causes psychological damage to the kids.

In any case the greatest factor in academic success isn't environmental, its hereditary. The problem isn't that people don't invest enough in their kids futures but that they overinvest in them (applied in real life the "every child a wanted child" mentality has led to the destructive concerned cultivation parenting style).

Stability or not, if someone in the West gets pregnant then there'd be enough resources around to sustain their child right now. And now is actually the best time to start having kids - will the welfare state be around in the future? People will need to have at least one kid to look after them in old age.

Quote Quote:
    I don't get why, when you are concerned about this case (where the morning-after pill sounds likely to be used), you ignore the cases of rape, miscarriage, genetic diseases, and financial disaster, which are by far the dominant cases for possible abortion. Just general horrible disasters.
    I wasn't referring to abortion, and you're assumption that I was merely demonstrates the obsession you Americans have about the subject.

All that I was saying is that the same psychological traits that make a man daddy material, will also make him likely to care for his mate in other circumstances as well, so that even if she doesn't want to get pregnant, its still worth making sure hes daddy material before granting him sexual access. The psychology of both sexes has evolved to reflect reproduction carrying a higher cost for the woman, so she woman makes the man wait for sex, during which time he proves himself through courtship, and demonstrates respect.

I don't understand why you thought what I was saying had anything to do with abortion.(!)

Quote Quote:
    He just said a fetus is a parasite on the woman. Yes. Do tell that to us feminists.
    Well your smiley suggests you're not being serious, but in any case someone familiar enough with biology to lecture HK about archaeans and cyanobacteria, ought to know what parasitism is - its presence is objectively costly to the mother without returning a contribution to her survival.

The human foetus is not a parasite at all, but a stage in the human life cycle that passes on the mothers genes and is therefore her means of survival. In fact the mothers body contains an organ that evolved purely to nurture the foetus, does the female body evolve structures to nurture a tapeworm whose presence creates costs but no survival benefits?

So no, the foetus is definitively not a parasite, and describing it as such is clearly Newspeak by abortionists and feminists to deceive others (and used by abortionettes, to deceive themselves) about the nature of the action, in order to offset the natural feminine instinct women have once they're pregnant to hold their stomachs instead of their faces when they fall, and the instinct that other people feel to stop a pregnant woman falling.

Its the same with the stupid 'bundle of cells' argument as though anyone isn't just a bundle of cells. Or even the concept of treating a healthy pregnancy (which is an example of normal organ function) as a disease to be cured by doctors and nurses, which includes the argument that all pregnancy carries increased risk, even though the risk of a healthy pregnancy is next to nothing to all but the sickliest females, or the species would have died out.

Or lets look at it this way, people don't invent such language about the teeth and veruccas they have out.

Nor do people with ailments they try and convince themselves that they're only 'getting rid of it', for the sake of what they're getting rid of.

Nor do people come back crying from the dentist to some circlejerk of friends and get a load of support because of "how difficult it must have been".

If pro-choicers hadn't successfully argued for the legality and social acceptability of murder, for the violation of men's and grandparent's rights that are rooted in their own genetic self-interest, and for demographic decline, then the self-deception and hypocrisy involved in pro-choice would be even more hilarious.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

@Earthforge

what is the bacteria that "eats-breathes" iron ???, (sorry for confusing this with the cyanobacteria, your description sounds familar, as I saw a tv show on the cyanobacteria - the tidepool "pot-looking" organisms or is that something else, argh - I'm cionfusing myself even more now, lol. Okay, according to the SNES game E.V.O. : Search for Eden, those tidepool "pot-like" organisms are strolites. I just confused this bacteria's name for whatever the bacteria's name that "eats-breathes" the iron, as it's very significant, and it shows that life can survive in outerspace, riding on an iron asteroid... such as possibly from mars, carrying life to earth... the theory that we could actually be originally Martians, having colonized the earth, lol. And now, we yearn-look to returning to our "home", Mars). And along with whatever the name of the iron bacteria is also the other bacteria that survive the methane and whatever other poisonous gases such as from volcanoes and/or volcanic underwater vents-"geysers" on the sea floor. And then I think you're mentioning about this with the bacteria that can live in lava and/or hot geysers-pools on the surface, such as in Yellowstone, right?

err... looking up stuff now.. seems there's no such name as strolites.. lol

(I know those "pot like" tidepool organisms exist, I just forgot what they're called... argh... stromites... no that's mineral... argh... they have something to do with early life- or land life - ecosystem-climate... change.. argh...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_evolution
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemotroph
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaea (Ah!, I recall learning about these too, forgotten them, and didn't recognize them as you mentioned about them your post, hehe)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanobacteria
    I think you're thinking of 'stromatolites', the stony structures created by colonies of reef-building cyanobacteria, and te role of cyanobacterial photosynthesis in the creation of BIFs (banded iron formations).

A fossil stromatolite specimen.

A specimen from a BIF.

Last edited by faintsmile1992; January 14, 2012 at 11:35 AM.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

yes yes yes yes, thank you faintsmile... those are what I meant... hehe

stromatolites... now I need to hopefully remember this word-name... lol...

and ah, I was right... somewhat (on the right track, anyways).....

stromatolites + cyanobacteria are connected-related !!!
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 04, 2012 at 06:13 AM.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

The Consenting Spinster in a Peasant Society: Aspects of Premarital Sex in "Puritan" Somerset 1645-1660 (because I know you liked the bit about medieval and early modern polygyny, HK)
    http://jsh.oxfordjournals.org/content/11/2/228.full.pdf

---------- Post added January 08, 2012 at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was January 06, 2012 at 03:48 PM ----------

Monogamy and Polygyny in Greece, Rome, and World History
    http://www.princeton.edu/~pswpc/pdfs...del/060807.pdf

---------- Post added January 12, 2012 at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was January 08, 2012 at 11:31 AM ----------

Dienekes' Anthropology blog
    http://dienekes.blogspot.com/

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

It used to be a kind of 'out of Africa' dogma, in the media at least, that there is a contradiction between the craniometric evidence for pre-Homo sapiens admixture in the modern human races, and the absence of genetic evidence for regional admixture. But now theres admixture for admixture between Homo sapiens and two earlier species, the Neanderthals Homo neanderthalensis and the 'Denisova hominins' (who are probably the 'advanced erectus' Solo man, Homo soloenis, because the centre of Homo sapiens x Denisovan admixture is in southeast Asia east of the River Ganges).

Archaic Human Ancestry in East Asia
    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20...81108.full.pdf

Denisova admixture and the first modern human dispersals into southeast Asia and oceania
    http://genetics.med.harvard.edu/.../...ova_Impact.pdf

---------- Post added January 13, 2012 at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was January 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM ----------

Society for Nordish Physical Anthropology (SNPA)
    http://www.theapricity.com/snpa/
    Last edited by faintsmile1992; January 12, 2012 at 05:19 PM.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A series of quick vids on the science of sex appeal, such as the sexy walk, facial features, and other stuff:

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/disc...walk-video.htm (just keep watching it, wait a bit, to see all the short clips)

Survival of the Prettiest (4 part series by BBC):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRuTb..._order&list=UL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaQPy...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVupn...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvFD7...eature=related
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 15, 2012 at 04:05 PM.

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you think I walk?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, are you trying to get a mate or not? And, then we'd have to see it, to judge how casual or how strutty, sexy, sensual, and ***-swinging, it is Oh can we guys analyze a girl's walk, laughs. I was going through in my head all of the factors I'd be observing or taking in for my decision, hehe The Human is the ultimate measuring instrument!

but you girls... you think its sexy when a guy walks like that ???... do you want him to make gorilla sounds too, and beat his chest.. ??? Woman! Woman! I need Woman! Ooo Ooo Woman! ... LOL... (I just watched Episode 2 of Fairy Tail too, lol)

-----------

laughs, I want that sensor machine that tracks+plots my eyes-gaze... it would be funny to watch-see what my eyes are doing, where they are looking... I know where they go already, of course as my brain is telling them where to look lol, oh are my eyes busy when a girl is looking away, hehe

when the machine gets done.... it'll have some large "blotches" as well as a full sketch of her figure too... lol I said my eyes are busy when a girl is looking away! My eyes do a very extensive and thorough measuring of the entire body, as well as some prolonged focusing on some certain areas A full Body Scan, just like at the airports!

----------

You notice, that they only have the guy hooked up... they don't have a girl... seeing where she's looking at upon the guy... lol
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 15, 2012 at 04:02 PM.

New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast