Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: [JP] Unfamiliar terms in katakana: アツシ, マッキー

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

[JP] Unfamiliar terms in katakana: アツシ, マッキー

Hey hey. I'm having some trouble with this page, mostly due to some katakana terms that I can't identify: アツシ and マッキー. Are they names? Are they loanwords? I don't even have any context yet for trying to understand what's going on, since this is the start of a Gaiden and I've never seen this character before. I'm probably making dozens of painfully obvious comprehension errors, so I would appreciate any corrections anyone would care to make.

Is アツシ a way to say あたし? Is マッキー the speaker's name? I've looked at this page several times over the last week and I can't even figure out anything based on grammar structure - my lack of fluency is showing.

Some context for the page: the story opens with this character stabbing another girl with those scissors, running from police, and then getting hit by a car. She opens her eyes to find herself mysteriously in Antwerp. This is my attempt at translation:

何?
    What?
    夢?
    Am I dreaming?
    華ちゃん生きてる?
    Hana-chan, are you there?

夢?
    Is this a dream?
    アツシに捨てられたのも?
    How did I wind up here? (A loose translation - I know it's not literal, but that's what I'm guessing the feel is close to.)
    華ちゃんを裏切ったマッキーを刺したのも。。。
    I stabbed Hana-chan for betraying me... (Who betrayed whom, here? Another trouble spot.)

ひゃあっっ
    *gasp*

Thank you for any help... please don't be too harsh on me. I'm usually better at figuring out what's happening on a page.
    Last edited by smaller; July 03, 2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Question answered, thank you!!

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [JP] Unfamiliar terms in katakana: アツシ, マッキー

Atsushi is a person's name, as is Makkii (also the nickname of Makihara Noriyuki, a famous singer-songwriter in Japan, who goes by the nickname Mackey). Mackey was the first thing to come to mind when I saw the thread title, but it doesn't seem to be referring to the singer-songwriter based on the context you've given Anyway.

Quote Quote:
    華ちゃん生きてる?
    Hana-chan, are you there?
    A more accurate translation would be "Hana-chan, are you alive?"

Quote Quote:
    夢?
    Is this a dream?
    アツシに捨てられたのも?
    How did I wind up here?
    捨てる = To throw away, to discard, to dump (someone/something)

Here the speaker is asking, "Is this is all a dream? Including getting dumped by Atsushi?" (probably can be better worded to flow nicer but you get the meaning)

Quote Quote:
    華ちゃんを裏切ったマッキーを刺したのも。。。
    I stabbed Hana-chan for betraying me...
    Here, "華ちゃんを裏切った" describes Makkii ie "Makkii, who betrayed Hana-chan". Thus the translation should be, "And that I stabbed Makkii, who betrayed Hana-chan...?" (this is a continuation of the previous part where she is asking if this is a dream, hence the question mark I added)

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smaller View Post
    Hey hey. I'm having some trouble with this page, mostly due to some katakana terms that I can't identify: アツシ and マッキー. Are they names? Are they loanwords? I don't even have any context yet for trying to understand what's going on, since this is the start of a Gaiden and I've never seen this character before. I'm probably making dozens of painfully obvious comprehension errors, so I would appreciate any corrections anyone would care to make.
    アツシ (Atsushi) is a (male) first name.

His name could be 敦 or 敦史 for example, Here, just like マッキー is a nickname, I assume アツシ is the way the speaker normally calls him. Since she calls him by the first name, アツシ is her boyfriend or someone close.

..... similar words ......

あっし(asshi): I  つ (stop sound) is always small, not the regular size.
    (Generally I is a male. You may see this more in Shonen manga with swords.)

アッシー: This fairly old slang came from 足(あし, ashi, feet). When girls/women treat a guy as a transportation/chauffeur, they would call him アッシー or アッシーくん. (The guy must have his own car, and he would not be considered a boyfriend or a friend by girls.)

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both so much! That helped tremendously, I really appreciate it. Thanks for the clarification of the grammar, salad, and thank you for the etymology lesson, mikkih.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Could she be referring to herself as Hana-chan? I suppose I'll find out here soon as I keep translating, but it is usual for girls to use their name + chan as a personal pronoun? Her speech has been peppered with katakana spellings of words, so I get the impression that she's rather young.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Could she be referring to herself as Hana-chan? I suppose I'll find out here soon as I keep translating, but it is usual for girls to use their name + chan as a personal pronoun? Her speech has been peppered with katakana spellings of words, so I get the impression that she's rather young.
    That's a possibility, though I think it's pretty rare to use both their own name + chan as a personal pronoun even if it were a young girl. It's more common to see little girls (like age 8 or so) address themselves with their own names (but no -chan suffix). Mikkih will probably have a better idea about this (she's a native speaker)

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

- Generally -
    1st graders (6 year olds) are probably already too old to call themselves XXX-chan. Some ぶりっこ(burikko, who pretend to be cute and innocent) might call themselves that way, but that is not so common.

- In this case -
    Dialogues actually make sense even if she (the girl in stripes) were Hana-chan. If the girl is Hana-chan, she must have gotten dumped by あつし(Atsushi) and betrayed by マッキー(Makkii). The key to understand this is whether the girl was betrayed by Makkii or not. She obviously killed Makkii (in her dream or real). My guess is Atsushi is the her boyfriend or the guy who she is in love with, and Makkii who is supposed to be her friend took him/dated Atsushi.

If the girl in stripes was not betrayed by Makkii, she is not Hana-chan. In that case, Hana-chan would be her close friend or sister, who is also wounded or semi-dead.

You know the context, so I leave it to you.

- Katakana being childish? -
    Using Katakana does not make the dialogues childish. Using hiragana does. If you write Atsushi in hiragana(あつし) instead of katakana(アツシ), then you could call that childish for example. Katakana is often used for colloquial and slang expressions on top of the regular usage to write loan words.
    Last edited by mikkih; July 04, 2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Changed last Makki to Makkii

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikkih View Post
    - Katakana being childish? -
    Using Katakana does not make the dialogues childish. Using hiragana does. If you write Atsushi in hiragana(あつし) instead of katakana(アツシ), then you could call that childish for example. Katakana is often used for colloquial and slang expressions on top of the regular usage to write loan words.
    Ahh, thank you so much. I misunderstood that completely. How embarassing. :x

New Reply