Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: The Komatsu Thread

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

The Komatsu Thread

This thread is for anything and everything Komatsu!

I think Komatsu is a very interesting character. He's Toriko's sidekick of sorts, but it would probably be more accurate to say they complement each other. Toriko provides the strength and battle ability to defeat the ingredient, while Komatsu is able to hear the voice of the ingredient and has on more than one occasion lead Toriko to find the ingredient or find how to cook it (and of course Komatsu is the one who does the cooking). He seems like a weakling at the start of the series, but he turns out to be a really plucky little guy and I'm excited to see how Shimabukuro develops him as he goes along.

So, in what way do you think Komatsu will develop? He needs to be able to withstand harsher conditions if he wants to be able to follow Toriko into the gourmet world, for one, and it would be nice if he could depend less on Toriko to protect him every time a strong beast appears. After all, they're going to be meeting increasingly stronger ones from here on out, and Toriko won't always be able to keep an eye out for him.

Setsuno seems like a nice target for Komatsu, though I doubt Komatsu will ever reach her level. Also, do you think Komatsu will ever get gourmet cells?

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member damane08's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Komatsu Thread

Komatsu definitely needs to become stronger, as things are right now I don't see him being able to survive in the Gourmet World. With that said; the Gourmet Cells are the only thing that we've seen that can power people up thus far in the manga. It seems logical that he'd get them, but I wonder how that would work out? How would he come by them? It would be interesting to see a powerful Komatsu and weird at the same time.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Komatsu getting gourmet cells? Unlikely. Komatsu being able to use a GT Robo, or having a robot to go inside of or something while in the gourmet world to withstand the environment? Much more likely IMO.

Right now he's the lynchpin of the manga. Without him Toriko wouldn't be able to eat most of the things he gets now, and in the future, and lots of people are after him for his skills.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bhoot's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Well personally I think that Komatsu will somehow learn how to run away from danger [by say enrolling under some guy who Toriko will recommend] . Technically thats all he needs to know . The fighting job belongs to Toriko and Toriko alone . If Komatsu starts to become too strong , Toriko's use may be questionable . The Melk knife gives him that small amount of attack power he needs to use in case he is cornered .

Also gourmet cells seem to be something that are induced only upon birth [test tube baby style] . So Komatsu will prolly never get them [or atleast I hope not]

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure about which direction Komatsu will take, but I sure won't like it if it comes down to fighting with the Melk knife. It is a kitchen knife, not a sword. I might accept it if it used kinda like preparing the food, something similar to what they did with the Mellow Cola. But if he ever fights a human/GTRobo/Nitro with it... no, just no.

Sorry for going all Sanji.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

even if you say that, he had been following toriko on a lot of dangerous climate

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

want to know what i think? Komatsu already has gourmet cells and is using them along with his talent for finding ingredients. since the mellow cola he has show the ability to command in battle and might be able to protect himself in the future by preparing in battle by himself. i think he will become an awesome asset to toriko, the other heavenly kings, and perhaps humanity as a whole when he finds god.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chngming View Post
    even if you say that, he had been following toriko on a lot of dangerous climate
    Yes, but the Gourmet World isn't anything like the Human World. Weather patterns in the Gourmet World are random, unpredictable, and vary greatly even within a small area as shown during Toriko's first trip into the Gourmet World. Having a normal human thrive, let alone survive, in regions where even the most experienced Gourmet Hunters heed with great caution sounds extremely silly and would be poor writing. I'm hoping for an actual solution besides the author writing something like "fancy equipment" that magically negates the multitude of dangers Komatsu will be facing simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    want to know what i think? Komatsu already has gourmet cells and is using them along with his talent for finding ingredients. since the mellow cola he has show the ability to command in battle and might be able to protect himself in the future by preparing in battle by himself. i think he will become an awesome asset to toriko, the other heavenly kings, and perhaps humanity as a whole when he finds god.
    Komatsu hasn't been stated to have gourmet cells. He is presented as a normal man who is very, very good at cooking. Fighting also isn't his thing; Toriko and the rest of the gang do that.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i understand what you are saying my comment was more of a hypothetical assumption rather than an outright statement

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Komatsu needs to be stronger, it just aint his thing, braver yes, and he is becoming that, but he is a cook so over time he will probably become stronger but not on a toriko level I think.
    I have a feelin that when komatsu will go in the GW he will be accompanied by all 4 heavenly kings.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member mup's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

this is my opinion but doesn't komatsu has this gay vibe about him and do wish he get strong and get Gourmet cells it would be bad story telling if komatsu never went into the gourment world

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to hope that Setsuno would give Komatsu some self-defense pointers being a fellow chef. Toriko, Sani, Coco, and Zebra can't spend their entire time looking out for him in the Gourmet World, so he needs to either get strong or get some sort of GT armor. I doubt he he will get a GT robo though.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Buggy's Avatar
    Country
    Andorra
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Komatsu's resolve is second to none and that is one of his greatest qualities. It takes helluva more resolve and courage to do something when you know you are weak and you could die at any time, than when you are strong and know you can defend against anything. Strength of his resolve was shown directly when he managed to withstand Staajyun's intimidation.

Though he seems scared and crying often he doesn't let fear prevent him from doing the things he wants. Especially when it matters, he overcomes his fear and does his best, shown in Ice Hell, Shining Gourami and Mellow Cola arcs. For me, he is a great character who regardless of his shortcomings does what needs to be done. In other words, he doesn't let what he CAN'T do stop him from doing what he CAN do.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Shadoguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think Komatsu will stumble upon alot of superior tools, either given to, or found by him. One of those tools will probably be some natural super adaptive suit, that will cling to Komatsu and adapt to situations, keeping him safe, though it may not be useful to attacks.

As for his potential, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a Combo with, not only with Toriko, but possibly all the Heavenly Kings.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually believe it was practically established that Komatsu is destined to become partner with all of the Heavingly Kings, especially as he seemed to fit to anyone and especially after all the rivalry between Zebra and Toriko for Komatsu.

New Reply