Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Yozakura Quartet by Suzuhito Yasuda

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Yozakura Quartet by Suzuhito Yasuda

Yozakura Quartet
    Genre: Magic, School Life, Slice of Life, Super Power, Supernatural
    By: Yasuda Suzuhito
    Year of Release: 2006-ongoing
    Serialized in: Monthly Shōnen Sirius
    Publisher: Kodansha

Akina, Hime, Kotoha, and Ao are four members of the Hiizumi Seikatsu Soudan Jimusho (Hiizumi s Everyday-life Consultation Office), which, in addition to helping kindergarteners deal with tough times, strives to preserve the peace of their little town, Sakurashin, by hunting down the troublemakers who dare threaten it.

Author:
    Suzuhito Yasuda
    A Japanese manga artist and illustrator. He most recognized for illustrating the light novels series Durarara!! and Kamisama Kazoku both adapted into anime series,and for being the original creator of the manga series Yozakura Quartet which was also adapted into a anime series.
    Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuhito_Yasuda

The manga has been licensed by Del Rey in English but unfortunately Del Rey is no longer so hopefully Kodansha will pick this up soon and republish it ^^

My thoughts with no spoilers:
    The art is is one of the best I've seen, the story is cute and later on gets very exciting and i have no idea why its not popular, don't be fooled by the covers (which are amazing IMO) its not a music manga if you read the genre you'll understand. The characters are very likable and the plot is interesting with some nice twists and even romance (a nice add in a shonen) but not too much ^^ so I'll just give a bit of a summary now which i think you shouldn't read since it gives a lot of spoilers but if you're like me and spoilers get you interested here you go;

Spoiler show

Anime Guide:

Yozakura has a complicated anime history. Fans of the manga generally hated the original anime, produced by Nomad in 2008. The original anime is loosely based on the first three volumes, but makes so many changes that the plot barely resembles the manga. Tatsunoko Production has since taken over, and has been much more loyal to the manga. Tatsunoko's adaptions begin with volume five. 2014's Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta features canon adaptions of the first four volumes, fixing the changes made by the 2008 anime, as well as adapting the Hana no Uta arc, volumes 8 - 9 of the manga. Below is a list of anime, along with which volumes they adapt:
    1. Yozakura Quartet (2008): Volumes 1 - 3, (not canon, does not closely follow the manga). 12 Episode TV Anime.
    2. Yozakura Quartet: Hoshi no Umi (2010-2011): Volumes 5 - 6 (canon). 3 Episode OVA.
    3. Yokazura Quartet: Hana no Uta: (2013): Volumes 1 - 4, 8 - 9 (canon). 13 Episode TV Anime.
    4. Yozakura Quartet: Tsuki ni Naku (2013-2014): 11 (canon) 3 Episode OVA.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yozakura Quartet by Suzuhito Yasuda

Anime

Directed by Kou Matsuo
    Studio Nomad
    Licensed by Canada United States Sentai Filmworks
    Network BS-i, MBS, TBS
    Original run October 2, 2008 – December 18, 2008
    Episodes 12

The anime is based on the manga and doesnt run close to it very much, its a nice watch though. There is also an OVA

Yozakura Quartet: Hoshi no Umi

I suggest you watch this after reading the manga as it is based on the chapters 25 till 34 and goes on closer to the manga than the anime had

Release date:
    08.10.2010 - Episode 1 - OVA
    08.04.2011 - Episode 2 - OVA
    09.11.2011 - Episode 3 - OVA

The OVA adaptation Yozakura Quartet: Hoshi no Umi is created by Tatsunoko Production - unlike the 2008 TV anime series created by studio Nomad. Also unlike the TV series, the OVA will completely follow Suzuhito Yasuda's original supernatural action manga. The original cast, however, are returning for this project.

Reference: http://www.animekon.com/anime-920-Yo...hi-no-Umi.html

---------- Post added August 09, 2011 at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was August 02, 2011 at 09:50 AM ----------

Chapter 52 out

I had a pleasant emailed surprise today ^^
    Spoiler show

---------- Post added August 29, 2011 at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was August 09, 2011 at 12:03 PM ----------

Chapter 53 out

Spoiler show

---------- Post added September 22, 2011 at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was August 29, 2011 at 09:18 AM ----------

Chapter 54 to 56 are out; Chap 54

54 is the same chapter summer's coming 1 as chapter 51 so skip it ^^ or reread it anyway =] its 55 - Ist a general feel of the town we see how Hime goes about patrolling with her assistant always with her xD and how the town loves thier Mayor and then in 56 seems to be getting to this arcs action now after soe time in the town and we get juri's sisters examination where she's asked loads of things funnily enough the scene changes when she asks about Kotoha and then Kotoha's view on Akina comes up. Hoping for some fun in 57 now =D

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Akina looks just like Mikado! Even without looking I would have known who did the art. I've read the first two volumes, so far it's very enjoyable. Now I'm even more looking forward to Hana no Uta.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

looks so awesome, I had no idea it was a manga. This is on my list of anime to watch and now that I know its a manga I'll probably be reading it too.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

The new anime is erroneously being described as a remake, when it is really a continuation. Hana no Uta will only animate (roughly) volumes 8 - 10. The Hoshi no Umi OVA's animated volume 5 - 7. The original anime (reportedly) butchered volumes 1 - 4. Tsuki ni Naki, the upcoming OVA's, will adapt volume 11. Word is that the new anime will be intended for beginners, and will start with at least one summary episode. It's probably a good idea to read volume 1 - 4 and watch Hoshi no Umi (only three episodes) before Hana no Uta starts on October 6. That is why I started reading a few days ago.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading this recently as well, I always heard about it and was curious but never had the time or motivation to really check it out... UNTIL NOW!

I'm 35 chapters in and its a fun little manga, the dialogue kinda trips me up at times but its a solid source of entertainment~

Seriously though Akine looks waaaaaaaaay too much like Mikado and seeing that guy who looks like Izaya have blue hair and cat ears
    Spoiler show
    is like someone's fanfic got brought to life...
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I've really been enjoying it too, Yozakura is really fun and entertaining. It's a good manga for anyone who is sick of Jump style, tournament action. Since Yasuda is the illustrator of the original novels, similarities to Drrr are almost inevitable. The art is not the only thing that reminds me of Drrr though. Sakurashin reminds me of Ikebukuro; a seemingly isolated urban enclave filled with numerous eccentrics.

I finished chapter 22, and am going to watch Hoshi no Umi before reading any more. After that I will continue the manga. I was going to just read the parts that will not be included in Hana no Uta and Tsuki ni Naki, but I like it enough that I am going to catch up with scanlations.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    The new anime is erroneously being described as a remake, when it is really a continuation. Hana no Uta will only animate (roughly) volumes 8 - 10. The Hoshi no Umi OVA's animated volume 5 - 7. The original anime (reportedly) butchered volumes 1 - 4. Tsuki ni Naki, the upcoming OVA's, will adapt volume 11. Word is that the new anime will be intended for beginners, and will start with at least one summary episode. It's probably a good idea to read volume 1 - 4 and watch Hoshi no Umi (only three episodes) before Hana no Uta starts on October 6. That is why I started reading a few days ago.
    Thank you for the info because I want to enjoy this series to the fullest and sometimes parts about anime that change the story around too much can ruin interest in a great series, so I'll definitely listen to what you said as I want the best experience.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leiatte View Post
    Thank you for the info because I want to enjoy this series to the fullest and sometimes parts about anime that change the story around too much can ruin interest in a great series, so I'll definitely listen to what you said as I want the best experience.
    Hoshi no Umi only made minor changes, and none that effected the story. The changes they made mostly improved the pacing, and the fight scenes. Hana no Uta should also be very loyal to the original. I've read through volume eight now, and really love this series. Something about the characters has really drawn me in. The story gets better, and better, as more of the truth about the Hiizumi clan is revealed. Akina gradually becomes one of the more sympathetic characters in all of manga.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

All of the girls in this series have fantastic legs. This is difficult to overlook.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So who's looking forward to the YQ x DRRR Cossover when the Limited edition BD vol 1 comes out?

and because I can

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post

All of the girls in this series have fantastic legs. This is difficult to overlook.
    Spoiler show

amen brotha.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I finished the Tsuki ni Naku arc, only a few more chapters left and I'll have read everything that is scanlated. Tsuki ni Naku was really good, one of my favorite parts of the entire series. Another youkai hunter arc, but it does not go as expected. Enjin gets a lot of screen time, and a lot of character development.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Man...the song of flowers arc...has got to be my least favorite part of this manga so far. No I'm not joking, I seriously have an issue with how the drama between Lila and Juri was handled. If I could sum it up in two phrases it'd be these:

Spoiler:  Rant ahead show

---------- Post added October 26, 2013 at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was October 15, 2013 at 01:20 AM ----------

Because I can:

Spoiler show
    Last edited by thatguy3331; October 15, 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Iruka seems interesting. Kind of crazy, even by youkai hunter standards. There is a ton of fanart out there for her, she must be something of a favorite. An interesting arc, I'm looking forward to more. I'm especially excited for Touka and Kyousuke backstory. It is nice that they are finally getting the spotlight.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well now that my hatred of Lila has decreased a bit (I'm still not letting her off for that arc though) I can happily say that the stuff afterwards has not only not pissed my off to that degree, but I also likes some it, I was especially pleased by the crying in the moonlight arc. I also like that we're actually beginning to really move things along with the plot of the nanagou now. If there is one thing I seem to notice not working for me though, it's that when this series tries to do drama it's hit or miss some times it works (thorny path, crying in the moonlight) some times it flies over my head (song of stars) sometimes it doesn't feel quite as effective (Oni tale sofar, though that may change) and then...there's song of flowers. Well at the very least I'm eager to read the next installment of chapters as I couldn't say the same for certain other series *cough*cough*SAO*cough**cough*.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity LoS's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only followed the most recent, current, anime season for this series and initially I was a bit lost, because there wasn't enough of a background recap or refresher for new viewers.
    The OG that ran Bleach for near a decade is no more.
    Cheers to a boss villain, I tip my hat to you Aizen

New Reply