Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 756 by cnet128 , Bleach 592 by cnet128
New Reply

Thread: Googlez' Manga Recommendations

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Googlez' Manga Recommendations

Hi there.

I'm the first one to make a thread like this,but obviously,i don't and can't know every manga in the world and i can't tell much about manwha,manua,anime or drama,so be sure to make your own recommendation threads,as well,in order to share the your favourites!

You can also rec series to me.I'll read them and feature them here(only if they are good of course) and if you have something to add,go for it!

As i can't rec every single manga i liked at the same time,as it would have the opposite effect,i'll just show you some manga i consider must-reads.

First of all:

Yotsuba& by Kiyohiko Azuma
    Shonen,Slice of Life,Comedy
    On-going

Spoiler: Plot show

This manga is very well known in Japan,but i rarely encounter anyone here on MH who actually reads it and it's a pity.Yotsuba& does not have an amazing and deep plot.No overly epic scenes,no overly amazing character development.However,i still consider it a masterpiece,because despite that,it's one of the lovliest and most heart-warming manga out there.Following Yotsuba through her easy and wonderful life,full of little dissapointments and victories.It's a manga you read when you want to escape the harsh reality and just want to feel like a kid again.

Another manga i'd like to recommend is:

D.Gray-Man by Hoshino Katsura
    Shonen,Action,(Dark) Fantasy
    On-going

Well,well,truth to be said,the overall plot is not as exceptional as i made it out to be in some of my earlier posts,but it's still great.Furthermore,when it comes to dark and sad scenes,Hoshino is able to convey the feelings the characters feel perfectly.Volume 21 has to be one of the most touching volumes i have ever read.The characters are simply put superb.Each one has his unique feeling and gets his deserved screentime.You get attached to them pretty quickly.Even the villains are likeable and don't get trashed like in other Shonen.You can almost feel how much the manga-ka loves her characters.
    But to be honest,it's love it or hate.
    Something that should not be left unmentioned is that it is quite artsy.Speaking as an artist,i have to say that i love it.Hoshino is a great artist,who never stops evolving and it's always interesting to see here developments and experiments.
    Okay,i'm already talking too much.

The next one is great:

Solanin by Asano Inio
    Seinen,Slice of Life,Drama
    Complete

Asano Inio is one of my favourite manga-ka and Solanin is the first of his series i read.It's probably the most well known of his works here,which makes me happy,but this series,or rather,this author should have many more fans.Solanin is actually something for adults,as they lived through their early twenties or are living them as we speak,but even if you did not experience this part of your life,yet,you still understand the character's thoughts and feel sympathy.It's astonishing how realisticly everything is conveyed.I don't know if i should go into depth,as i'm still pretty young and don't think i already have the right to judge it completely,yet.However,what i can certainly say is that it makes you think a lot about life and your dreams.
    The art is good to look at as well and matches the story perfectly.

This one is one of my all-time favourites:

20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa
    Seinen,Mystery,Drama
    Complete

As mentioned above,this is one of my all-time favourites.The world Urasawa created in this manga is stunning to say the least.The past,the future,the present are all depicted well and have relevance.A minor detail in the past can be an important clue for the future.It's simply amazing how the present is connected to the past and the way he executes it by switching back and forth is wonderful and well timed.The mystery is typical Urasawa.He keeps you at the edge of the seat in every volume and he draws you into this world until you become a part of it.20th CB is one of the only manga that i almost read in one sitting.Seriously,the epicness was overwhelming.I guess i'm hyping this too much now,but damn,it's good stuff.Definitly a must-read in my eyes.
    Oh,and about the art,i heard that people dislike his art,mainly because Urasawa tends to draw only faces when it comes to conversations,but that's actually the charm.It makes for this epic feeling and the little differences in the character's expression make it special.

Next is:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki
    Action,Adventure,Awesomeness
    Complete

I admit that i have yet to read the last volume,because i'm following the German releases,but that doesn't change the fact that this manga is just another masterpiece as expected by the godly created Hayao Miyazaki.Most of you probably know the movie,which was based on the manga.Sadly enough,the manga is not as well known as the movie.(If you haven't watched the movie,do it now.The soundtrack is brilliant.Same with the plot and the animation)
    The plot is amazing.The way Miyazaki explores this world with Nausicaä is breathtaking.It really makes you think about how beautiful this planet actually is and how terrible our doing and reasoning is.All that without feeling unnatural and awkward.The same goes for Nausicaä as a character.She is very caring and has a good,kind heart,but without feeling unnatural either.Everybody knows at least one of Miyazaki's movies,so you how good it has to be.
    Little warning:There are no real chapters.It's devided in volumes,which means that you will have to to your time for a 'chapter' and not everybody likes reading something for so long without a break.

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 11 Member(s) likes this post
    中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Googlez' Manga Recommendations

Totally agree with you on Yotsuba&! A manga that always gets you in a good mood, with it's cuteness and expressions (yeah, the characters expressions are epic).

Based on your recommendations, I think you'll like Billy Bat (Urasawa's newest manga) and Azumanga Daioh (same author as Yotsuba&!). The last mentioned didn't make me go "wow" though, but I can see some similarities with his current manga.
    [IMG]http://bit.ly/wvfDFh[/IMG]
    [url="http://bit.ly/qint1K"][IMG]http://bit.ly/zcJSPa[/IMG][/url][url="http://twitter.com/#!/ZayCon92"][IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/ZayCon/Twitter.jpg[/IMG][/url][url="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ZayCon&show=0&order=4"][IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/ZayCon/Anime.jpg[/IMG][/url]

4. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Googlez' Manga Recommendations

I concuredly recommend Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, as it's definately one of the good anime movies (I hadn't read the manga of it though, lol).
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply