Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Berserk 323 Discussion

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Forever Rain's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Berserk 323 Discussion

Finally! I've been waiting for her to turn into a mermaid since the first chapter she was introduced. Kind of a short chapter but a nice one for Isma, her lost of her home and desire to save a friend has pushed her hard enough to call out her true form when needed. Sweet, fairies, witches and mermaids! Loving the fantasy.

Oh and damn you "batman" Gatts!

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Transformation away! Oh and did Isma call the Sea God, Dad?! :O

I find it interesting how the pirate was the only tentacle with facial hair.
    Otherwise I want more development on Guts and his plan to kill the Sea God.

Reviewer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to get the occasional reminder that not all supernatural biengs are out to eat humans in this series. Isma may die, or she may have to go and live in the sea only now. Or maybe we'll get pleasently surprised and she'll go to Elfheim with them. The series isn't quite as killy of charecters anymore as it once was.

Course the Sea God is scared of Gut's sword. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dragonslayer eventually gains the power to kill anything. Gut's seems to be working his way up with it.

What does it mean? It means your about to get your butt kicked!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is everyone assuming she's going to die now for some reason? Because she became a mermaid? I sorta thought that it's just a transformation at will since she's half mermaid. I assumed she'd save Isidoro and then hope back on the boat.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Catalonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Rain View Post
    Why is everyone assuming she's going to die now for some reason? Because she became a mermaid? I sorta thought that it's just a transformation at will since she's half mermaid. I assumed she'd save Isidoro and then hope back on the boat.
    I don't get this point of view, CLEARLY the voice comes from THE WATER, not the Sea God. In other words, the voice is from the Water Element itself! As Evarella is an elf, and elfs are descendants from the spirits of the air, probably the same happened with mermaids and undines and another races. Not only elfs probably originated from air too.

Edit: following part is off-opic :

All this recalls the nature of the world itself: The elements. Also recall a problem with the "only" 4 elements: in the Qliphot episode there's a text (probably a translation error?) where Shierke conjures a spirit when leaving the cave, it explains that from all the elements, the most dangerous is DARKNESS. Bu.. Woah? There were'nt FOUR elements? Now darkness too? And light? Why they use a pentagram as a power symbol for just for 4 elements? Pretty strange huh?

Link to the page: http://read.mangashare.com/Berserk/c...0/page007.html
    Last edited by bcnmanga; July 12, 2011 at 10:39 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why there would be a time skip as some had suggested. Unless you've forgotten, ever since Guts met the "new" Griffith, the whole point was to get to the Elf island. I don't think there will be a 6 year time skip from now, unless you believe it will take 6 years for them to get to the island, and during that 6 years there will be nothing of interest to the story.

I am not really against having another companion in the group; I just find myself re-reading the early chapters where Guts was the main focus; I just like the feel of that stuff more than this, but of course my perspective is a bit skewed because I'm focusing on these few newer chapters. I'm sure once it all wraps up, it will be an over all enjoyable read.
    Last edited by Fourier; July 10, 2011 at 08:40 PM.

MH's Most Fashionable Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Shinsatsu's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Great chapter. Everytime I become tired of waiting, the chapter comes and saves me. I think that Isma will go back to the surface as a normal girl.

Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

why is everyone so obsessed with isma? personally i dont like the appearance of isma in berserk. dont get me wrong, she isnt uninteresting (and therefore she isnt bad) character. its just that i dont want another childish character in a story with such a deep storyline. sometimes kids make the story seem even deeper (for example movie sixth sense), but this isnt one of those cases. if i want to read about some kinda boy who falls in love with a magical being, what could potentionally turn into a love triangle, id rather read a shoujo than this.
    where is the good old gore in berserk? where is the farneses sadomasochism? where are the sleepless nights filled with fear? WHERE ARE THE TWISTS IN THE STORYLINE (i admit that fantasia was pretty godlike and filled me with awe...)?
    even the annihilation of rodericks crew would cheer me up, but then they probably wouldnt have enough people to get to elfheim, so its outta question. everything looks like this arc will have a fairytale ending whether isma lives/dies/goes with them/....... (and it will probably end with a scene that wil unexpectedly fill us with either unbelievable joy or sorrow -> crap)
    ...call me a heartless sadist, but its just disappointing for me.

/edit: read my post, it seems too bitchy even for me, so i will at least say, that the art is better and better with every chapter. i just hope, that the story will turn out better than it seems.
    Last edited by nerothos; July 11, 2011 at 05:58 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^I agree though. I love re-reading the other volumes where Guts was just annihilating everything and seemed more like a villain than a babysitter for kids. I want to see more of that, but perhaps this "transition" was the exact intention of the author/creator.

I lol'd at the thought of Roderick's crew getting killed because I saw myself enjoying that a lot haha.

I guess it really comes down to the part of Berserk that I was first exposed too and fell for. I saw the anime originally and years later started reading the literature. The Black Swordsman was the Berserk I came to know.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nerothos View Post
    why is everyone so obsessed with isma? personally i dont like the appearance of isma in berserk. dont get me wrong, she isnt uninteresting (and therefore she isnt bad) character. its just that i dont want another childish character in a story with such a deep storyline. sometimes kids make the story seem even deeper (for example movie sixth sense), but this isnt one of those cases. if i want to read about some kinda boy who falls in love with a magical being, what could potentionally turn into a love triangle, id rather read a shoujo than this.
    where is the good old gore in berserk? where is the farneses sadomasochism? where are the sleepless nights filled with fear? WHERE ARE THE TWISTS IN THE STORYLINE (i admit that fantasia was pretty godlike and filled me with awe...)?
    even the annihilation of rodericks crew would cheer me up, but then they probably wouldnt have enough people to get to elfheim, so its outta question. everything looks like this arc will have a fairytale ending whether isma lives/dies/goes with them/....... (and it will probably end with a scene that wil unexpectedly fill us with either unbelievable joy or sorrow -> crap)
    ...call me a heartless sadist, but its just disappointing for me.

/edit: read my post, it seems too bitchy even for me, so i will at least say, that the art is better and better with every chapter. i just hope, that the story will turn out better than it seems.
    Who's obsessed with Isma? She was just the star of the chapter which is why she's the subject of conversation.

Personally I much rather see Isidoro go. He's more of a cliched character and his usefulness is the most impractical. I can see the use of a wizard, mermaid and other magical creatures but a kid who's butt is still blue makes me think he should of been killed chapters ago. But I get your point and I'm wondering why all these additions are children as well. I would of much preferred a adult or teen wizard or mermaid.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think Isma's sort of under a microscope, for being the only new, humanoid character introduced in this arc thus far. That, and certain fans will point and cry and offense of something being too moe for Berserk. I see points in the argument, but Miura's writing it the way he's writing it. He's never failed me before really, so I'm not as fed up with it as some fans seem to be sometimes.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Catalonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
    I don't see why there would be a time skip as some had suggested. Unless you've forgotten, ever since Guts met the "new" Griffith, the whole point was to get to the Elf island. I don't think there will be a 6 year time skip from now, unless you believe it will take 6 years for them to get to the island, and during that 6 years there will be nothing of interest to the story.

I am not really against having another companion in the group; I just find myself re-reading the early chapters where Guts was the main focus; I just like the feel of that stuff more than this, but of course my perspective is a bit skewed because I'm focusing on these few newer chapters. I'm sure once it all wraps up, it will be an over all enjoyable read.
    I was just suggesting that is plausible to happen WHEN they reach Elfheim and learn some kind of stuff of how to kill whatever to kill that requires a training to become SSJ Level 3 or something similar. Or just is the time that Casca requires to regain her mind.
    Last edited by bcnmanga; July 12, 2011 at 10:40 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I see your point, but I find it kinda corny/off-beat from how Berserk has been written thus far. Guts has always done his thing, swinging his sword at others. I think some sort of "training" or 6 year power up is really better suited for some DBZ story, as you used it in the analogy. While it is a convenient element to add some time and transition to a story, I think it is really lame for something as well written as Berserk.

Just my opinion. Hell, sometimes I wish the Guts would ditch the berserker armor and go back to the old fashion black swordsman haha. But again, that's probably due to me favoring those particular chapters so much. I just want more of this: http://i29.mangareader.net/berserk/16/berserk-27062.jpg

Regardless which way it goes, it will be amazing.
    Last edited by Fourier; July 12, 2011 at 11:54 PM.

15. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Most Fashionable Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Shinsatsu's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
    I see your point, but I find it kinda corny/off-beat from how Berserk has been written thus far. Guts has always done his thing, swinging his sword at others. I think some sort of "training" or 6 year power up is really better suited for some DBZ story, as you used it in the analogy. While it is a convenient element to add some time and transition to a story, I think it is really lame for something as well written as Berserk.

Just my opinion.
    All the training he needed was already done when he was a young lad. I think that the only thing Guts was missing is a good group of capable people. Which is the thing that the author is trying to create right now. Going against the new Band of the Hawk needs a strong party (or small army if you wish to call it that). Guts fought Zodd, the strongest being after Griffith, and survived. So, I guess it's futile to look for some kind of power up or asspull... this is Berserk.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 102jayday's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

The only so called power up Guts would need now is to have that curse mark not get in the way with fighting the god hand. He needs the group to become stronger because he cannot fight the neo band of the hawk by himself. His proven that he can kill a god hand by killing Slan's troll body, I think Skull Knight praises him for it.

I have only looked at the raw so far, I kinda wait a week to read trans to keep my excitement for a one week wait lol.
    Which I will check Evil genius scans tomorrow.
    Last edited by 102jayday; July 13, 2011 at 06:48 AM.

Manga Berserk, Gantz, Rurouni Kenshin, Claymore<3 Fav Anime FMAB! Gundam seed, Nana, InitialD.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast