Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma

View Poll Results: How would you describe your experience of the tournament?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superb! I liked every part of the tournament. It was flawless.

    5 8.77%
  • Good. I liked almost every part of the tournament.

    22 38.60%
  • Above average. There were more positives than negatives.

    16 28.07%
  • Below average. There were many bad moments although some good.

    13 22.81%
  • Bad. The tournament sucked on every level, not much was good about it.

    0 0%
  • Other (post reason)

    1 1.75%
Thread Closed
Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 832

Thread: Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread V.2

  1. #1
    GOT MILLKKK? 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Country
    Norway
    Posts
    21,476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread V.2

    Welcome to the Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread!


    This is where all general discussions about the tournament will take place, this is with other words the tournament's hangout. Before you join the discussion we ask you to get familiar with the tournament rules. This post will be updated with various info which can of course be discussed.


    Agenda of discussion:
    • Predictions about the tournament's strongest contestants in both tiers (explained below) and potential winners. While the bracket is yet to be announced, we have revealed the list of combatants. Share your predictions!
    • With Naruto's enormous cast bringing everyone in was impossible. Are there anyone you miss that would have been a better choice than others? How far would they have gotten in the tournament?
    • General thoughts around the tournament.
    Tournament Information

    The Tournament's Setup
    Because of the quantity of characters that we want to include and the level difference between them, we have decided to split the tournament into two parts. The tournament will therefore consist of two separate tournaments - a Top Tier and Low Tier tournament. The Top Tier will consist of all the characters that the staff has measured as "very strong" fighters that are in a seperate league compared to the fighters in the Low Tier. In some cases the difference is not that large, but a line had to be drawn someplace. The Low Tier will consist of all the "weaker" characters that made the cut.

    Note that the characters that were chosen were done so on the basis of how much we know about them. As such characters with too much mystery in terms of combat ability have not made the cut as the discussions would largely be centered around vague assumptions.

    Spoiler: List of combatants in the Top Tier show


    Spoiler: List of combatants in the Low Tier show


    Spoiler: The Brackets + Bracket System show


    Spoiler: Tournament Schedule show


    Spoiler: Tournament Results show


    Spoiler: Other Important Information show
    Last edited by Rikudou King; August 01, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
    Don't. Be. A. Steph.

  2. #2
    Now Sentient! 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member MangaHelpers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    8
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread

    This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

  3. #3
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nicholas.Sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Where Hypocrisy Thrives
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    Itachi cannot keep launching Amaterasu even if he wanted to. For him that is basically committing Seppuku. His meager chakra will not permit it. Furthermore, I am not sure if, outside of Sasuke, A is the only person to react fast enough to prevent Amaterasu. The manga seemed to indicate that Gaara defended against it quite well using a sand defense. You can take a look at the chapter and come up with your own conclusion, though my suggestion would be to read and view more carefully. Enjoy.

    Where to begin...

    First off, Gaara's reaction time had nothing to do with this feat. His sand was out before Sasuke tried to use Amaterasu on him. This is where others are having a problem. In order for Jiraiya to be able to block a blast with his hair, he would have to anticipate it (which is what Gaara did). How can he anticipate it if he doesn't know it's coming? This scenario can branch off in so many ways:

    Scenario 1
    Itachi turns on MS
    J-Man covers himself in hair at the sight of it.
    Turns out that Itachi was never going to use Amaterasu in the first place.
    J-Man is now mind raped by Tsukuyomi
    Why? Because in order to prepare for Amaterasu he looked Itachi straight in the eyes

    Scenario 2
    Itachi actually fires Amaterasu and J-Man grows his hair
    We are back at square one.


    Back to Gaara blocking the sand. Can we tell which flames were spammed and which flames were manipulated by Sasuke's Enton technique? There is sustained ball of flame hovering above Sasuke's head.

    In the end, I can't help but wonder how J-Man's hair compares to Gaara's sand in durability.

    And let's keep this peaceful guys. It's not like we are putting money on this...right?
    Last edited by Nicholas.Sama; July 06, 2011 at 12:12 AM.

  4. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  5. #4
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ninjabot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread 2

    Quote Originally Posted by jdw
    That is the method of removal, but whatever. The point is that the flame did not reach the man, because if it had the wind would not have mattered. The armor didn't grow at all and he was fine.

    Again, the armor was metal. Jiraiya's hair however, is HAIR. You're giving Jiraiya's hair properties that it hasn't displayed. The metal was fine because metal takes time to melt. I can't think of a better way to simplify the difference in situations.


    Quote Originally Posted by jdw
    The armor wasn't "fire proof," as Amaterasu burns anything, even fire. Even if Gaara's method was not impressive to you, he is alive despite Amaterasu, which is the point, no? Not the distance his sand moved. But it doesn't matter if you were impressed really, Sasuke was. That is enough for me. If you think the fire will burn faster than Jiraiya's hair can grow, I respect your opinion but politely do not share it.

    Oh, it's impressive. Just not half as impressive as everyone would like it to be considering he was prepared for the attack. If I have a moveable defense already erected then blocking on coming attacks is as simple as flinching. However if I have to grow my defense from scratch then time isn't on my side. If Gaara had no sand near him and had to rip it straight from beneath the ground he would've been screwed.


    Jiraiya growing enough hair at a quick enough speed is another one of those "I can't prove he can do it, but you can't prove he can't even though it's more likely" incidents. In other words, you and your fans are WAY too proud of your argument. Take it down a notch.

    EDIT: By the way, notice that Sasuke's Amaterasu also hits with kinetic force. His flames partially pushed back Gaara's sand, evidenced by your own scan. The odds that Amaterasu flatout pushes through the hair close enough to touch Jiraiya's clothes further crumples this strategy since the flames will be growing as the Amaterasu pushes.
    Last edited by ninjabot; July 06, 2011 at 12:19 AM.

  6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  7. #5
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DEATHBOTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somalia, looking for One Piece.
    Country
    New Zealand
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,736
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread 2

    jiraiya hair grows really fast doesn't it? it rapped around pains summon quite quickly and held on to it. i would say its just as strong as the samurai armor. he used it to block oro taijutsu where as i doubt a samurai could simply rely on their armor to do that.

  8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  9. #6
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DementedKirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread 2

    Dude, read the descriptions of Jiraiya's hair jutsu from the data book itself. jdw supplied it all in detail. It's not assumptions, it's in the data book. Even if Amaterasu has a kinetic force, Jiraiya can withstand it like he did when Orochimaru kicked him (also provided in the great Jiraiya hair debate). Look at jdw's post in the precursor to this thread. It's not speculation.

  10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  11. #7
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Poke-france.
    Country
    United States
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread 2

    Jiraiya's hair wouldn't stop Amaterasu. It's been shown several times in the series that when the user focuses, Amaterasu burns incredibility fast. Only when they aren't focus on it does it not have much of an effect. So if Itachi wishes it, he could burn the hair and Jiraiya within a few moments.

  12. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
  13. #8
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sevenheadedmirror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Country
    Mexico
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas.Sama View Post
    Where to begin...

    First off, Gaara's reaction time had nothing to do with this feat. His sand was out before Sasuke tried to use Amaterasu on him. This is where others are having a problem. In order for Jiraiya to be able to block a blast with his hair, he would have to anticipate it (which is what Gaara did). How can he anticipate it if he doesn't know it's coming? This scenario can branch off in so many ways:
    ...Then Sasuke has the worst aim ever, I mean did that thing just happened to hit the sand that was already there? Of course it has everything to do with reaction time, Geez man, even Sasuke congratulated the guy.


    Quote Quote:
    Scenario 1
    Itachi turns on MS
    J-Man covers himself in hair at the sight of it.
    Turns out that Itachi was never going to use Amaterasu in the first place.
    J-Man is now mind raped by Tsukuyomi
    Why? Because in order to prepare for Amaterasu he looked Itachi straight in the eyes

    Scenario 2
    Itachi actually fires Amaterasu and J-Man grows his hair
    We are back at square one.
    First scenario says Jiraya can't block it. Second says he can.


    Quote Quote:
    Back to Gaara blocking the sand. Can we tell which flames were spammed and which flames were manipulated by Sasuke's Enton technique? There is sustained ball of flame hovering above Sasuke's head.
    Bleeding eye is a sign of amaterasu.

    ... OK we have analysed that J-man has the possibility to save himself against Amaterasu... how can Itachi save himself from the swamp jutsu?. Itachi is fast in his pace of doing attacks and reaction time but he sucks in terms of speed but for dashing... and the swamp's range is above any dash capability. So Jiraya survives... now how does Itachi?
    Last edited by Sevenheadedmirror; July 06, 2011 at 03:35 AM.
    To in infer something and pose it as implied in the source is to justify something.
    The justification that an arc or a story sucks because the author is as tired as us from it can't apply since it's the author's fault it sucks to begin with.

  14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  15. #9
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    Riverrun
    Posts
    2,156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread 2

    - "Itachi can do anything, the hair jutsu isn't an appropriate defense against certain jutsu. It's unlikely IMO Jiraiya would just use it in preparation for something if he doesn't know what the nature of that something is. "

    Quote Quote:
    swamp's range is above any dash capability
    How do you know this?

  16. #10
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread 2

    I think I've read it all...Itachi has a 5/5 for speed, but he "sucks in terms of speed but for dashing"?

    Of course, this is also ignoring that with genjutsu, Itachi doesn't really have to worry about dodging the swamp jutsu (which, even if he got caught in it, Susanoo would protect him from any follow-up that Jiraiya attempts).

    Also, I want to note that this doesn't exactly look unharmed, and we know that the Raikage was moving so fast that even Sasuke couldn't follow him...so the samurai wasn't really burning for that long, seeing as how all that happened in between was Sasuke getting wtfchopped and Gaara interfering (which really makes that sand stop even more impressive).

    People also ignore that for all of Jiraiya's hair's speed, Pain dodged the actual attack (not the grab) with Kawarimi.

    However, I don't buy the "it's just hair" argument. It blocked Orochimaru's kick...that alone shows it has some strength to it, he tore apart Pain's crab summon with it, etc. He definitely can make his hair more than "just hair."

    But if Jiraiya does protect himself with his hair against Amaterasu, what exactly does the Amaterasu (or even Itachi) do while it's burning his hair? It doesn't exactly stop until he wills it to, no?

  17. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
  18. #11
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nicholas.Sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Where Hypocrisy Thrives
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread

    that's why they are called scenarios....and you completely missed my point.
    I don't think he can. However, if he were to block it, what would happen next?

    I'm sorry, did you just say that Itachi's speed sucks?

    Spoiler show


    And I have a serious question about the swamps usefullness against a single opponent. (I'm actually being serious.) What would stop Itachi from standing on it like water?

  19. #12
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member chilibun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread 2

    People really need to stop calling Sasuke's enton jutsu on Gaara Amaterasu because it is not and it is completely misleading on how it can be blocked. Amaterasu, compared to most S-class jutsus, is not overly powerful in term of explosive or concussive force. What makes it extremely deadly though, is its speed and the way the jutsu is nearly impossible to dodge. The flames ignite on the focus of the eye, which means its target simply bursts into flames. Other than super EE, nobody has the reflexes or speed to dodge something like that. It is also said to be inextinguishable and burns hotter than the sun. I don't see how anybody, without a powerful defensive jutsu like a Susanoo or Bijuu cloak, can survive getting hit by it. Even Ee with his Raiton shield have to chop off his arm just by making contact with it. Even if, and I mean if, the flames do not spread fast by itself, we've seen how quickly the flames can be created when the eye is focused on it here and here. If Jiraiya gets hit with Amaterasu, his whole body will be consumed by the flames. His hair is not going to be able to block it nor does he even have time to use it. Its like if my jacket catches fire, I might have the time to remove it and stomp it out. However, I have no chance against somebody shooting me in face with a flamethrower.
    Last edited by chilibun; July 06, 2011 at 04:22 AM.

  20. #13
    Registered User 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member jdw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    It is impossible to troll Yondaime. Get over it.
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas.Sama View Post
    that's why they are called scenarios....and you completely missed my point.
    I don't think he can. However, if he were to block it, what would happen next?

    I'm sorry, did you just say that Itachi's speed sucks?

    Spoiler show


    And I have a serious question about the swamps usefullness against a single opponent. (I'm actually being serious.) What would stop Itachi from standing on it like water?
    Here is my evidence for why I think water walking would not work, but people are free to believe what they want:

    Spoiler show


    Quote Originally Posted by Doton: Yomi Numa
    Earth Release: Underworld* Swamp (土遁・黄泉沼, Doton: Yomi Numa)
    Ninjutsu, A-rank, Offensive, All ranges
    User: Jiraiya

    The more you struggle, the more you sink
    A bottomless swamp from Hell!!

    By changing the ground into mud and creating a swamp, the enemy is sunk deep underground...!! The adhesive, chakra-infused mud ensnares the enemy's body. It's impossible to recover one's strength and escape from there. The size and depth of the created swamp depend on the user's skill and the amount of chakra used, but if the user is an expert in this technique, it will always be possible to make a fair-sized swamp! When fighting a great number of enemies or having to face gigantic creatures, this is an extremely effective technique.

    ↓The giant snake captured in this bog is prevented from moving! But if you ask Jiraiya, he'd say it is insufficient. The real goal of this technique is to completely submerge the target underground.
    [picture of Orochimaru's snake summon caught in this technique]

    This swamp goes down to abysmal depths!!

    *Yomi is the place where the you go after death according to the Japanese Shinto mythology. Since Buddhism was introduced in Japan, it is also considered one of the Buddhist hells.

    It's unlike the Western concepts of Heaven and Hell, though. It isn't a paradise in any way, nor is it a place for punsiment. All the dead, regardless of their behaviour in life, go there to carry on a gloomy and shadowy existance and rot for all eternity.
    ---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 AM ----------

    Additionally, the enton used on Gaara was Amaterasu. It appears that Sasuke is just better at manipulating the flames. As for why Gaara was able to block Amaterasu, I think it is because Sasuke is unable to Amaterasu snipe for accuracy at distances. He tried to light Gaara on fire and failed miserably against the sand. For people saying it was a pre-created flame Sasuke moved at Gaara, I am not sure of that, but even if it was, Amaterasu was still blocked. We can see that even when Sasuke summons Amaterasu up, it comes with force, that is why when it missed Raikage, it continued on to hit the samurai. If we look here, Sasuke has no Susanoo or Amaterasu. He appears to have cut off both jutsu.

    Spoiler show


    Confirmed by no Susanoo here, and no Susanoo here, and no Susanoo or Amaterasu here. On this page, Susanoo has returned, but no Amaterasu. Finally, we are here (image below), and Sasuke has Amaterasu and Susanoo, but there is no indication that he lobbed a preexisting Amaterasu at Gaara.

    Spoiler show


    He could have been distance sniping and failed, as Amaterasu is a close range jutsu (Per databook II) and Gaara is a smaller target than Hachibi. We even saw that when he created it against Raikage, it was not born upon Raikage, and it had Kinetic force and continued on to the samurai, as ninjabot has shown amaterasu to have when it pushed back the sand.

    Naruto War Tracker: 2 days of combat, 63 chapters, 40,000 alliance soldiers lost (50%). Significant alliance characters lost: 0

  21. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
  22. #14
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ninjabot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread 2

    Quote Originally Posted by DementedKirby
    Dude, read the descriptions of Jiraiya's hair jutsu from the data book itself. jdw supplied it all in detail. It's not assumptions, it's in the data book. Even if Amaterasu has a kinetic force, Jiraiya can withstand it like he did when Orochimaru kicked him (also provided in the great Jiraiya hair debate). Look at jdw's post in the precursor to this thread. It's not speculation.

    I did. And it didn't say a thing about being unflammable, resistant to flames, OR faster than an instantaneous jutsu. This jutsu is being given far better feats/potential than it's shown it's capable of performing and I can't for the life of me figure out why. The most that's said is that it resembles steel wire because chakra is being pumped through it making it stronger than regular hair when bunched together. It's ALSO B rank, as opposed to Amaterasu's (though unranked) status as the strongest fire jutsu in the manga.

    But a B rank is totally gonna tank that. Totally. You also miss what I meant by Amaterasu's kinetic force. IF he manages to get his hair in the path of a jutsu that he can't see then the flames (that are literally infront of his face by like... a foot or less based on the speed at which it connects) will push the flaming hairs INTO him, burning him alive anyway.

    I'm not calling out his strategy because he's speculating, I'm calling it out because it's counterproductive to his claim that Jiraiya has an answer to Amaterasu because it doesn't guarantee him safety by any means. It's just a bad example.

    Unless you're confusing it with the Sage Mode hair attack which happens to be Jiraiya's fastest jutsu... and that one is a spray of needles so it's defensive options are extremely limited. Likewise, even if you consider how it stretched out to attack the crab you'll have to accept that he reacted to seeing the giant crab first. Him reacting to a fireball appearing on top of him out of nowhere and sprouting a big enough amount of hair, in the right amount of time is just unlikely.

    See? It's these kinds of arguments that made no one take Jiraiya's supporters seriously in the Sasuke vs. Jiraiya thread. Pretty much every argument requires suspension of proven facts and displayed feats. We have to forget that Amaterasu is near instantaneous. We have to forget that ninja in the tournament don't know about jutsu being used on them until they're used. We have to forget that Itachi can use another Amaterasu right after the first if he wants to hit Jiraiya while he's cutting off hair. We have to forget that Jiraiya has shown no ability to defend against Genjutsu from ninja of Sasuke or Itachi's skill level, leaving him struggling to break free before having an Amaterasu dropped on him.

    Then (and only then) can we entertain the idea of him winning against either ninja. The only exception being when votes determine victory rather than sense. And so here we are.


    Quote Originally Posted by jdw
    As for why Gaara was able to block Amaterasu, I think it is because Sasuke is unable to Amaterasu snipe for accuracy at distances. He tried to light Gaara on fire and failed miserably against the sand.

    As opposed to it being because he already had his sand out and in front of him, capable of moving a simple foot or two in the path of where Sasuke's looking? If his aim was horrid at that range there would be no need to block the jutsu as it would simply miss. The flames were in direct line of sight with Gaara. They were blocked because he didn't want he or his siblings to burn to death. Accuracy had nothing to do with it.

    As for the jutsu not being "born upon Raikage", it was... just, it was his after image it appeared on top of and continued propelling thanks to not connecting with anything solid.
    Last edited by ninjabot; July 06, 2011 at 06:08 AM.

  23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  24. #15
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity hakuthehedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Your mom's bed
    Country
    Portugal
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,578
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naruto Tournament Discussion Thread 2

    Jiraya wouldn't react to amaterasu appearing in front of him, he would react when Itachi closed one of his eyes: IMO that gives time for Jiraya to either lauch a fireball, summon one of the frogs or use his hair.
    Last edited by hakuthehedgehog; July 06, 2011 at 06:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    On that topic, anyone else think Naruto's the type of guy who would cry after sex?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikudou King View Post
    I fount it interesting that had Kushina not gotten knocked up, None of them would be in the current situation. She's more responsible for the Uchiha massacre then Danzo and co. Crap, Now Sasuke has a valid reason to use his hatred against Naruto.
    LMFAO

  25. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
Thread Closed
Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts