Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hanasaku Iroha

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hanasaku Iroha

Hanasaku Iroha

From ANN:

Quote Quote:
    Plot Summary: Ohana Matsumae is sent to live with her grandmother, who she has never met nor spoken to, at her Taisho-era (1920s) hot springs inn. It's not a lifestyle that Ohana would have chosen, but she decides not to be discouraged and to make the most of her new circumstances.

Japanese cast
    Spoiler show

Japanese staff
    Spoiler show

Watching the first episode of this anime was enough to convince me that this series will probably become one of the best series of this anime season.

Ohana is such an awesome character and I can’t wait to know more about her. The scene that caught my attention the most during this episode was the scene when her grandmother slapped her not once, not twice, but three times!! While watching that scene made me feel a big mad at Shijima Sui and sad for Ohana, I must admit it also made me very curious and wonder just how great must be the resentment that that old lady must have towards her daughter to take it out on her granddaughter in that way.

I can’t wait to watch episode 2!!
    Last edited by destiny4ever; April 04, 2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hanasaku Iroha

While this kinda of anime isn't usually my cup of tea, I must admit this was very good. Well scripted and overall polished product. It's a very charming coming-to-age story, not too rosy yet not overly painfull. Ohana was kinda annoying to me. Don't get me wrong, I liked her character a lot (doramatikku~) but her sheepyness put off most of the episode. Untill the very end she let's her emotions show and my opinion changed. It was a nice touch.

Characters seems bit stereotyped and one-dimensional (even Ohana to some extent) this far, but afterall, it is only one episode this far. As I said, this isn't the kinda of stuff I usually like to watch so I'm not sure will I keep watching. We'll see. But I can't deny, that this was very, very good.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Manga Database 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner tethysdust's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not my usual kind of anime, but I actually really liked the first episode. Ohana's "Nice Guy" friend was a little irritating, but he disappeared pretty fast. If he matters later in the show, I hope he becomes more interesting. I'm also curious to find out why the old woman hates Ohana's mother so much that she would take it out on her granddaughter. My guess is sexual transgression... like Ohana's mom got pregnant with her in high school and was disowned.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ustegius View Post
    Characters seems bit stereotyped and one-dimensional (even Ohana to some extent) this far, but afterall, it is only one episode this far.
    I wouldn’t call them one-dimensional, for me they seemed more like onions, in the sense that you have to peel their layers away in order to know their different sides. I have the feeling that the tsundere assistant cook and the grandmother will be onion characters and that they'll end up being satisfying 3-dimensional characters in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by tethysdust View Post
    My guess is sexual transgression... like Ohana's mom got pregnant with her in high school and was disowned.
    That is actually a very interesting and plausible theory. And since you have mentioned Ohana’s mom, she isn’t a very good mom, is she? I mean, she didn’t even give it a second thought before doing a moonlight flit with her boyfriend.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; April 06, 2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    I wouldn’t call them one-dimensional, for me they seemed more like onions, in the sense that you have to peel their layers away in order to know their different sides. I have the feeling that the tsundere assistant cook and the grandmother will be onion characters and that they'll end up being satisfying 3-dimensional characters in the end.
    Well, I did say "this far". Most likely there will be more to them than meets the eye in the coming episodes, but that said, I did find all the other characters expect Ohana to be rather one-sided, in the first episode. There certainly are hints though, that the tsundere and granny have more complex stories behind them so...

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

And maybe it was just me…but did anyone else feel as if we’ll have a love triangle coming our way during this anime? I mean the Ohana x Young boy chef x tsundere assistant cook.

There certainly are hints though, that the tsundere and granny have more complex stories behind them so...
    While tsundure girl did catch my attention, the one I’m more curious about is the old lady. She isn’t your typical granny, and her methods/actions are far from kind, gentle and sweet; but there is something, a hunch, that tells me there are very good reasons for her being that way. And I don’t know if you guys have read Ouran High School Host Club, but Ohana’s grandmother does remind me of Tamaki’s grandma.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; April 06, 2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, the granny could just be very strict and conservative. That could kinda explain why her daughter became such a rebel. But for the storys sake, I hope there is more interesting story behind there.

12. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, the granny could just be very strict and conservative. That could kinda explain why her daughter became such a rebel.
    That is a good point, but if that theory is true, then maybe the reason why the grandmother is so strict and conservative is because of the way her parents raised her…so in a way she is only repeating what was taught to her by her parents.

Btw, here’s a characters/seiyuus page for this show, with pics of all the main characters and their seiyuus, and a bit of info about each. All credit for it goes to Kaoru Chujo.

14. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Manga Database 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner tethysdust's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    And since you have mentioned Ohana’s mom, she isn’t a very good mom, is she? I mean, she didn’t even give it a second thought before doing a moonlight flit with her boyfriend.
    Yeah, she seems crazily irresponsible. It makes me wonder if she is so wild in response to her mother being so strict, and now Ohana is hardworking and serious in response to her mother's attitude.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a very interesting point. If Ohana’s gradma had such an impact on her daughter to the point of turning her into a wild and irresponsible person, I wonder just what kind of impact that old lady will have on Ohana herself…

I’m also curious if Ohana’s grandmother was only strict and severe with Ohana’s mother, or if she was the same way with her son as well…and since I have mentioned the son, it seems he isn’t a saint either…

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohana's grandmother seems the very traditional, Showa era matriarch. I am guessing she was strict with the entire family, from her husband to children. The uncles seems to be rather frivolous too. The glance she gave Ohana before slapping her suggested some level of respect, at least to me. I'm not sure about long term impact but I expect a lot of tension for the first half of the season.

I did love the first episode and have high hopes for this series. The writing seems top notch, so is the animation. Ohana is adorable, I love anime characters like her. Even better that her circumstances are so dreary. The contrast between cheerful moe girl, abandonment, bullying, and manual labor is brilliant. I do think her grandmother and the staff will warm up to her eventually but hopefully it takes a while. I'm hoping for something nice and tart to watch this season.
    Last edited by Kaiten; April 07, 2011 at 10:39 PM.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you posting in this thread, Kaiten-kun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Ohana's grandmother seems the very traditional, Showa era matriarch. I am guessing she was strict with the entire family, from her husband to children
    The grandmother is very tradition indeed…mmm…so women were very strict and severe during the Show era? And since you have mentioned the husband…I wonder what happened to him…did he die young and that is the reason why Ohana’s grandmother had to take over the inn? Was he alive when Ohana’s mother and uncle were children? I’m so curious now.

Quote Quote:
    I did love the first episode and have high hopes for this series.
    Me too. And it is only the first episode but this anime has already been very well-received by the anime fandom and has also spurred some interesting topics of conversation, especially because of the grandmother’s actions and way of thinking.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably wrong to say Showa era (a long period, 1926-1989), but she seems to come from the time before World War II; representing the most conservative, traditional Japanese values.

I wonder about Ohana's grandfather. Maybe his back story will be critical to her grandmother becoming a warmer person. I'm sure he died, maybe she became so cold and severe when he died. I'm certain Ohana will help bring a little joy back into her grandmothers life later on in the story.

Glowing reviews at ANN convinced me to watch. I love this style of anime, I'm glad it's getting such a good reception.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raptor02_2001's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    Glad to see you posting in this thread, Kaiten-kun.

The grandmother is very tradition indeed…mmm…so women were very strict and severe during the Show era? And since you have mentioned the husband…I wonder what happened to him…did he die young and that is the reason why Ohana’s grandmother had to take over the inn? Was he alive when Ohana’s mother and uncle were children? I’m so curious now.

Me too. And it is only the first episode but this anime has already been very well-received by the anime fandom and has also spurred some interesting topics of conversation, especially because of the grandmother’s actions and way of thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I'm probably wrong to say Showa era (a long period, 1926-1989), but she seems to come from the time before World War II; representing the most conservative, traditional Japanese values.

I wonder about Ohana's grandfather. Maybe his back story will be critical to her grandmother becoming a warmer person. I'm sure he died, maybe she became so cold and severe when he died. I'm certain Ohana will help bring a little joy back into her grandmothers life later on in the story.

Glowing reviews at ANN convinced me to watch. I love this style of anime, I'm glad it's getting such a good reception.

in my theory , Ohana 's grandma is conservative and Traditional Japaneses Values and her mom is more Freedom and open person are different

If Ohana 's Grandma was strict .. how Ohana 's Uncle is immature and not type traditional .. it is might be Mama's boy ? ( sorry to read older post )

but I like Ohana because she is cute and dense ... I cant wait for Ohana and i forget her name said "Die " to Ohana ... i love that reaction ...

it is seem Ohana 's Grandma is popular in this thread...

24. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

My choice was right to pick this anime. P.A Works did a good job once again. And the seiyuu's also pretty good. The first episode was good. I really like this kind of slice-of-life anime. It's going to be 26 episode, i can enjoy this longer than previous P.A Works anime

26. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast