Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Usagi Drop

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Usagi Drop

Usagi Drop

Synopsis

Quote Quote:
    Going home for his grandfather's funeral, thirty-year-old bachelor Daikichi is floored to discover that the old man had an illegitimate child with a younger lover! The rest of his family is equally shocked and embarrassed by this surprise development, and not one of them wants anything to do with the silent little girl, Rin. In a fit of angry spontaneity, Daikichi decides to take her in himself! But will living with this overgrown teenager of man help Rin come out of her shell? And hang on, won't this turn of events spell doom for Daikichi's love life?!

(Source: Yen Press)
    Episodes: 11

Aired: Jul 8, 2011 to ?

Producers: Production I.G, Fuji TV

Genres: Slice of Life, Josei

Rating: PG-13 - Teens 13 or older

[b]Opening Theme:[/n]
    "Sweet Drops" by Puffy

Ending Theme:
    "High HighHigh" by Kasarinchu

Japanese staff
    Spoiler show

Japanese cast
    Spoiler show

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

I haven’t watched the whole first episode yet but I took a peek at it and the art reminds me of Honey and Clover very much , that alone made the series gain big points with me. And after reading the synopsis I’m looking forward to episode 1 even more; in fact, I’m considering checking out the J-drama as well. ^_^

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Wonderful episode! I’m sold on this series. Since Ushio from Clannad, I can’t remember another girl who has captivated my heart as Rin did in this episode. Rin was the star of this episode in my opinion, great character that I’m very anxious to know more about.

Rin is such an adorable yet complex character at the same time and one of the things I’m looking forward the most in this anime is how Rin is going to positively affect Dai-chan’s life and vice versa, how Dai-chan is going to positively affect Rin’s life. Yes, raising Rin isn’t going to be a walk in the part, but I think doing that is going to be the best experience that has happened to Dai-chan in his life.

I’m so looking forward to the next episode!
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; July 20, 2012 at 05:14 AM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raptor02_2001's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Usagi Drop

i fallen love with Rin's Character , she is quiet and confused after meet Dai and Her Dad similar .. but one thing, i am upset about his family don't want her because bullshit stuff hinder to care rin since she is part of the Family

Don't blame on girl... She is so cute and little ... different girl was noisy and rude because her mother spoil her and can't control her daughter behavior . Rin is mature because her Dad (Grandpa's parenthood influence on Rin 's Childhood behavior )

I love this series but I hope it will more interesting between RIn and Dai 's life style... i want to see Dai take Rin to School ...

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I haven’t watched the whole first episode yet but I took a peek at it and the art reminds me of Honey and Clover very much , that alone made the series gain big points with me. And after reading the synopsis I’m looking forward to episode 1 even more; in fact, I’m considering checking out the J-drama as well. ^_^
    Is it just me or did the art changed a bit through the ep? At first it seemed more like a moving, colored and after a few minutes it looked more animated. Liked both and thought the change was quite refreshing but I might have just imagined things

Quote Quote:
    Wonderful episode! I’m sold on this series. Since Ushio from Clannad, I can’t remember another girl who has captivated my heart as Rin did in this episode. Rin was the star of this episode in my opinion, great character that I’m very anxious to know more about.

Rin is such an adorable yet complex character at the same time and one of the things I’m looking forward the most in this anime is how Rin is going to positively affect Dai-chan’s life and vice versa, how Dai-chan is going to positively affect Rin’s life. Yes, raising Rin isn’t going to be a walk in the part, but I think doing that is going to be the best experience that has happened to Dai-chan in his life.
    I’m so looking forward to the next episode!
    Yep, Rin is a interesting character and I'm looking forward to their interactions! Quite the opposite to Reina-chan, I instantly disliked her :/ maybe I'm a bit unfair here but she seemed so annoying and selfish. The whole family made a negativ impression, it was kind of pathetic how everyone made excuses why they couldn't take care of Rin. Still it's a bit weird that a 70 year old man could give birth to a child, I wonder if she's really his child or if there's another story to it.

Dai-chan seems like a nice guy, I'm quite curious how the both will influence each other. I'm not completely sold on the series but so far it did gave me a good first impression

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raptor02_2001 View Post
    .. but one thing, i am upset about his family don't want her because bullshit stuff hinder to care rin since she is part of the Family
    What I liked the most about Dai-chan was the fact that out of all the members of the family he was the only one who realized that Rin wasn’t the one to put the blame on, that she was innocent, and that instead of receiving animosity from her family, what she needed from them was love.

Quote Quote:
    Don't blame on girl... She is so cute and little ...
    Exactly! They should have never blamed her for her parents’ actions, she was innocent of it all. Nobody except Dai-chan took the time to notice that Rin was hurting too.

Quote Quote:
    I love this series but I hope it will more interesting between RIn and Dai 's life style... i want to see Dai take Rin to School ...
    I’m sure we’ll get to see a lot of interactions between Rin and Dai-chan and I’m sure looking forward to them.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Is it just me or did the art changed a bit through the ep? At first it seemed more like a moving, colored and after a few minutes it looked more animated. Liked both and thought the change was quite refreshing but I might have just imagined things
    No, you didn’t imagine things, naruto-niikun. ^_^ The art did change during the episode.

Quote Quote:
    Quite the opposite to Reina-chan, I instantly disliked her :/ maybe I'm a bit unfair here but she seemed so annoying and selfish.
    I think the purpose of Reina-chan was to highlight Rin’s good qualities and traits; they were easier to notice because of Reina-chan’s presence in the ep and because how different she (Reina) was from Rin-chan.

Quote Quote:
    Still it's a bit weird that a 70 year old man could give birth to a child, I wonder if she's really his child or if there's another story to it.
    Well… men can remain fertile for much longer than women. Even though male fertility also declines with age, it tends to happen gradually for men. I don’t know if you are familiar with Julio Iglesias (he’s a Spanish singer), but his father became a father one more time at the age of 89.

Quote Quote:
    I'm not completely sold on the series but so far it did gave me a good first impression
    I’m glad to hear that.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Drago's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    What I liked the most about Dai-chan was the fact that out of all the members of the family he was the only one who realized that Rin wasn’t the one to put the blame on, that she was innocent, and that instead of receiving animosity from her family, what she needed from them was love.

Exactly! They should have never blamed her for her parents’ actions, she was innocent of it all. Nobody except Dai-chan took the time to notice that Rin was hurting too.
    I agree, it's unbelievable that all those grown-ups didn't seem to care the slightest for Rin. She's just a little child, it's incomprehensible how someone can blame her for the given situation :/ The grandfather would turn in his grave if he had seen his families behaviour.

No, you didn’t imagine things, naruto-niikun. ^_^ The art did change during the episode.
    thanks, I was wondering why no one mentioned it because I thought it was quite remarkable. Though I like the animated style more.

I think the purpose of Reina-chan was to highlight Rin’s good qualities and traits; they were easier to notice because of Reina-chan’s presence in the ep and because how different she (Reina) was from Rin-chan.
    Good point, I completely agree! Nevertheless I thought that she (Reina) is a very cheeky child and has no sense for the situation. Seemed like a very egocentric child to me.

Well… men can remain fertile for much longer than women. Even though male fertility also declines with age, it tends to happen gradually for men. I don’t know if you are familiar with Julio Iglesias (he’s a Spanish singer), but his father became a father one more time at the age of 89.
    Of course I know him, Iglesias was/is quite famous. Still I never heard that news about his father. Unbelievable that someone in his age is fertile but well, that makes Usagi's plot more believable. Thanks for the information Desy-chan

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts while watching the pilot was, "Aww!" "Cute!" and "Adorable!" whenever Rin showed up- I was instantly smitten by her. Her shy demeanor intensified when she was contrasted with Reina-chan who's a little rascal. She reminds me of Aki from flat in a way because they're both timid and have become attached to an unlikely father figure.

I thought it was mean that the relatives didn't want to take her in. There was no mention about the grandmother so it wasn't like the grandfather was cheating or anything. Perhaps it was Rin's age and the grandfather's age when he had the girl that made things awkward in the family.

I'm looking forward to future episodes because it'll be interesting to see the dynamic between a 30 year old man and his 6 year old aunt.

I loved the watercolour effect in the beginning of the episode. I was hoping the animation style would stay throughout the series, but I reckon it will be hard for the animators.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, it's unbelievable that all those grown-ups didn't seem to care the slightest for Rin. She's just a little child, it's incomprehensible how someone can blame her for the given situation :/
    In Freudian psychology, there is something called displacement. It is an unconscious defense mechanism whereby the mind/person redirects affects from an object felt to be dangerous or unacceptable to an object felt to be safe or acceptable. What the members of Dai-chan’s family were doing is transferring the anger, resentment and shame they felt towards Dai-chan’s grandpa from the old man to Rin-chan. Grandpa was dead so they looked for a substitute where to place those feelings on and that substitute was Rin.

Quote Quote:
    Nevertheless I thought that she (Reina) is a very cheeky child and has no sense for the situation. Seemed like a very egocentric child to me.
    Reina wasn’t a very nice or likeable child I agree.

Quote Quote:
    Thanks for the information Desy-chan
    You’re very welcome.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Yay! Asarii is joining this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    There was no mention about the grandmother so it wasn't like the grandfather was cheating or anything.
    Maybe the grandmother had died not too long ago so they (the family members) were surprised that the grandfather had already found a replacement for his wife and what is even more, had a child with his girlfriend…

Quote Quote:
    Perhaps it was Rin's age and the grandfather's age when he had the girl that made things awkward in the family.
    Maybe.

Quote Quote:
    I'm looking forward to future episodes because it'll be interesting to see the dynamic between a 30 year old man and his 6 year old aunt.
    Me too. It will be interesting for sure.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i wonder Rin will be more aunt or child ? it is hard to tell... i can't wait for see Rin said about his nephew Dai ... i hope it will more award moment in some place .. ...

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Yay! Asarii is joining this thread!
    Thank you!

Quote Quote:
    Maybe the grandmother had died not too long ago so they (the family members) were surprised that the grandfather had already found a replacement for his wife and what is even more, had a child with his girlfriend…
    If that's the case, the grandfather probably didn't want to feel lonely so he found new love. The house he lived in was pretty large so he would have wanted company to talk with.

i wonder Rin will be more aunt or child ? it is hard to tell... i can't wait for see Rin said about his nephew Dai ... i hope it will more award moment in some place .. ...
    I think it will be hard for her to act like an aunt because she's just a child. Dai knows about the complicated situation in his family (i.e. the grandfather having a young child at his age; the mother of Rin not being present...), but I don't think she'll be able to comprehend it yet. She might see him as simply a caretaker.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I think it will be hard for her to act like an aunt because she's just a child. Dai knows about the complicated situation in his family (i.e. the grandfather having a young child at his age; the mother of Rin not being present...), but I don't think she'll be able to comprehend it yet. She might see him as simply a caretaker.
    i agree with you but i know that it was understand situation , Rin see him as caretaker .Also she had fear of abandon because she just recent lost her dad and mom run away .. she think Dai will too ..
    watched esp 2... i love Rin because she is so cute and mild manner but she said about " sweat" that is funny scene ..

and hard raise child... I give two thumb up for Dai because he tried effort to care child and work , also he tried to stop smoke in his house since Rin ilive with him ...

i notice Asarii's comment about Grandpa .. that is fact , so many seniors need love too because his/her family grew up and left house .. it is not easy to live without children/spouse .. .Lonely is hard reality ... My grandma live with relative because she don't like Senior home ..

I wonder Who is "Masako-san " .. Rin's mother ? I hope it will happy end but i predict Rin's mother will return and take her from Dai ... i feel so bad for him...

I AM PROUD OF USAGI DROP FAN !!!
    Last edited by raptor02_2001; July 15, 2011 at 01:34 AM.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Yay, my most anticipated series for this month!
    Finally got down and watch the 2 episodes.
    I have to say that I really like Rin and she stole my heart I mean, I always like kids and all but she's just so special.
    Daikichi also made me like him simply because he's such a kind soul. I'm pretty sure that him taking in rin and the parts at the kindergarten proves that and also that small little segment of him choosing not to smoke as the smell will get caught on Rin's clothes.
    Quote Quote:
    If that's the case, the grandfather probably didn't want to feel lonely so he found new love. The house he lived in was pretty large so he would have wanted company to talk with.
    This is something that I dislike about his grandfather and their family as a whole.
    His grandfather should have made arrangements for rin if he knows that he is going to pass away and even if he didn't know,
    he still should.
    If he really concern himself with Rin, he should understand that he can't stay with her forever
    and one day he'll pass away, leaving Rin all alone.
    If he really went through the pain of being lonely, he must be able to understand how Rin will feel.
    I'm very realistic so during the so-called family meeting of who to take care of Rin,
    I had this feeling that if I were there I will be like Dai and will keep considering, a child is a heavy responsibility,
    one that none of the relatives wants to take in.
    Dai's life after taking rin in is exhausting,
    he have to handle his job and rin at the same time and then in the future many
    other factors will come in.
    I know cases where eventually people think of their children as nothing but a burden and I'm talking about children with their own blood.
    Usagi drop won't be the case but there certainly will be a lot of things Rin and Dai have to deal with and this is one of the reasons why I was looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Zeltrax; July 16, 2011 at 08:43 PM.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree with you but i know that it was understand situation , Rin see him as caretaker .Also she had fear of abandon because she just recent lost her dad and mom run away .. she think Dai will too ..
    The fear of abandonment was what I saw in Rin's expression before Dai was about to leave the nursery school. Her mom and dad are gone so she probably doesn't want the next caretaker to leave her too.

Quote Quote:
    watched esp 2... i love Rin because she is so cute and mild manner but she said about " sweat" that is funny scene ..

and hard raise child... I give two thumb up for Dai because he tried effort to care child and work , also he tried to stop smoke in his house since Rin ilive with him ...
    That scene was indeed pretty funny. XD She's so cute.

I hope this new life with Rin won't affect him in a negative way in the workplace. He's showing fatigue and hasn't told anyone at work about his new situation. Since they have no idea, they might think he's not trying anymore.

Quote Quote:
    i notice Asarii's comment about Grandpa .. that is fact , so many seniors need love too because his/her family grew up and left house .. it is not easy to live without children/spouse .. .Lonely is hard reality ... My grandma live with relative because she don't like Senior home ..
    Loneliness is also why a lot of seniors buy pets to keep them company. We don't know why the grandfather bothered to have a kid instead. (He could have had a companionship rather than a sexual relationship with Rin's mother.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    This is something that I dislike about his grandfather and their family as a whole.
    His grandfather should have made arrangements for rin if he knows that he is going to pass away and even if he didn't know,
    he still should.
    If he really concern himself with Rin, he should understand that he can't stay with her forever
    and one day he'll pass away, leaving Rin all alone.
    If he really went through the pain of being lonely, he must be able to understand how Rin will feel.
    As I said to Raptor, if the grandfather was lonely he could have bought a pet or asked for companionship instead. (Like taking in home stay students.) We're not entirely sure of the full situation to understand why he bothered to have a relationship with Rin's mother.

I also wonder if the family found the grandfather's will. Surely he must have listed a candidate to take custody of Rin; he should have known that he wasn't going to live very long until she came of age.

The second episode was adorable, and I loved how the new daily life of Dai was illustrated. It must be hard for him to adapt because taking care of children is a lot of work- especially when the child is young as Rin. (If she was 12, she would be more independent.)

Rin was more assertive by choosing what she wanted to wear. She's still not as annoying as Reina though. XD

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 2

Watching this anime is a real pleasure. Great anime series and probably one of the best of this anime season.

- The OP is so sweet that just listening to it puts me in risk of getting cavities. I really like the OP song and the OP animation, it is different because two bunnies are the main characters in the OP but at the same time is so perfect for this series.

- Loved the interactions between Dai-chan and Rin, they felt real and I’m glad they showed that raising a kid is not something easy, especially if you are a single parent. This makes me wonder if a possible girlfriend for Dai-chan will appear in the coming episodes. As long as the girlfriend is someone who also loves Rin-chan, I’m all for Dai-chan getting a girlfriend.

- And yes, the last scene was funny “It’s sweat!”, but it makes me wonder if there is a connection between Rin doing that and her dad dying and her mom abandoning her. If Rin does that again (pees on her bed) then it certainly opens the possibility that she has been more affected by the loss of her parents that she appears to be.

- Looking forward to the next episode. ^_^

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

- The OP is so sweet that just listening to it puts me in risk of getting cavities. I really like the OP song and the OP animation, it is different because two bunnies are the main characters in the OP but at the same time is so perfect for this series.
    I love the OP too! It's a nice set-up for the story. I also like that they kept the watercolor animation before going into the theme song.

Quote Quote:
    - Loved the interactions between Dai-chan and Rin, they felt real and I’m glad they showed that raising a kid is not something easy, especially if you are a single parent. This makes me wonder if a possible girlfriend for Dai-chan will appear in the coming episodes. As long as the girlfriend is someone who also loves Rin-chan, I’m all for Dai-chan getting a girlfriend.
    Rin doesn't seem to have any female figures in her life so it would be nice for Dai to have a girlfriend to fill in that void. Perhaps not too soon because Rin just got a new "father" so a new "mother" would be too early.

I took Dai's statement as a form of foreshadowing. XD

Quote Quote:
    - And yes, the last scene was funny “It’s sweat!”, but it makes me wonder if there is a connection between Rin doing that and her dad dying and her mom abandoning her. If Rin does that again (pees on her bed) then it certainly opens the possibility that she has been more affected by the loss of her parents that she appears to be.

- Looking forward to the next episode. ^_^
    It would be really sad if that was the case. She's not the type to express her innermost feelings directly so we're still not sure how she's coping.

Same here!

25. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast