Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mawaru Penguindrum

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mawaru Penguindrum

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    I wonder about something, though. Did Kanba and Shoma pay the price for Himari and Ringo's life to Momoka? As in transferring their lives to them, or something else? They managed to be reborn somehow, though, so that's why I'm confused. XD
    I don't think they're reborn it looked more like they had paid the price of having themselves erased from the scenery,with only one miracle in that they were able to send the bear and note (though Momoka was able to leave a testament herself in the form of the diary so maybe not such a miracle).

Yeah I think they paid the fate transference because prior to Ringo the one who said the magic words was actually the two brothers as they recalled the past. I don't think they were reborn, far too soon but fate will leave that coincidence open when they are born. They're probably like Momoka now which is an ambiguous enigmatic being.

Oh and fun fact trivia about Penguin Drum it is heavily influenced by Miyazawa Kenji so that should give you some crucial ideas behind certain words or images example:

Apples: "Apples were connected to his image of the universe. This was because the universe that includes our galaxy is also round like an apple. So when you hold an apple in your hand, you’re holding the entire universe in the palm of your hand.

“According to the author, the seeds of an apple were comparable to the worlds we live in from day to day. The fruit of the apple reflects the hugeness of the universe outside ourselves. Just like there’s a world outside the apple’s skin, the universe doesn’t end at its own edge either. Outside of our own universe, there’s something even bigger surrounding it. No doubt, there’s another dimension of a higher order expanding outside our universe, that can’t be contained by our three-dimensional rules.”

Scorpion Fire: Is a reference from Night of the Galactic Railroad the story goes~
    There was a scorpion that lived in a field. It ate many creatures in order to live, but when a ferret (i think it was a ferret…weasel? fox?) tries to eat it, the scorpion runs away in desperation and falls into a well. Inside the well, while he is drowning, the scorpion realizes that his life is going to end easily, and most importantly, meaninglessly. If he just had been eaten by the ferret, like how those creatures were eaten by scorpion, the ferret would live longer and his life would be part of the circle of life mean something. He then prays to god and asks god to use his body for the good others. The scorpion then realizes that his body begins to burn, and that fire is still burning in the skies to this day, lighting up the dark for others.

These are some references pointed out by guys who are familiar with his work~ So that should explain some things for you with this episode I think.
    Last edited by Hamy; December 24, 2011 at 03:58 AM.

Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone's fate changed, right? Kanba and Shoma were erased from Himari and Ringo's life, living their own. But they shrunk to little boys again; that is why I think they were reborn. Or all of them moved to another dimension, another life, where Himari is healthy and can go to school while they live their life differently.

Sanetoshi and Momoka were back to latent period or something like that, right? They didn't exist, yet they were not ghosts.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Everyone's fate changed, right? Kanba and Shoma were erased from Himari and Ringo's life, living their own. But they shrunk to little boys again; that is why I think they were reborn. Or all of them moved to another dimension, another life, where Himari is healthy and can go to school while they live their life differently.

Sanetoshi and Momoka were back to latent period or something like that, right? They didn't exist, yet they were not ghosts.
    I don't see the two as reborn yet - or at the very least they are different entities now given how they walk off into the galaxy by the end. Like I said I think they've become something akin to Sanetoshi and Momoka after all they've removed themselves from the scenery of fate so yeah I think its closer to another dimension and life altogether but the two brothers aren't around anymore.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished Penguindrum this afternoon. What a lovely anime this was. It seemed to me as if their was no linear story line, as though everything was symbolism. I'm surprised it took me until the last episode to catch all of the Aum Shinrikyo references. The terrorist attack that killed Momoka took place 16 years before events in present time. Penguindrum aired in 2011, 16 years after Aum Shinriko's 1995 sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subways. That explains the constant repitition of the number 95.

Momoka was meant to represent the type of person who can change the lives of others, illustrated by how she was able to save Tabuki and Yuri, to help them understand what it is like to feel loved. She is one of those outsized people in life who can transform those around them. That is the meaning of her "fate transference" spell. Even after dying, her spirit remained, and she continued to influence those around her. Her death symbolized how the loss of a loved one can haunt those left behind. The diary was not significant because it contained the secret to transferring fate. Importance was invested in it as a remembrance of a loved one lost, symbolized by Ringo using what was written to try and become Momoka.

Kan-chan and Sho-chan sacrificed themselves for those that they love, thus being erased from the world. But because important memories (good and bad) can never be truly erased, Himari found a note from her brothers and Masako remembered dreaming of her twin brother. The young Kan-chan and Sho-chan seen at the end of episode 24 could represent reincarnation; our souls never truly leave this world, it is instead our fate to return until enlightenment is found.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2