Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mawaru Penguindrum

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Rei Ayanami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Mawaru Penguindrum

New project from the director of Revolutionary Girl Utena, Kunihiko Ikuhara. The story will center around the lives of three siblings: Kanba, Shouma, and Himari Takakura, with Himari as the female main character.

It has penguins.

will add more info later
    Last edited by Rei Ayanami; July 22, 2011 at 05:17 AM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raptor02_2001's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mawaru Penguindrum

after watched esp 1 and 2 .. i like this series but too early to tell good or bad show but i love little three penguins ...i wish i have penguins with camera ... #2 penguins...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member <.Haruka.>'s Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely enjoying this series. Minus the musical parts (i hope it gets less scenes), the story gets interesting as the characters discover their thread of fate/connection. The penguins are adorable. I hope I could watch this 'till the last episode.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

This is probably the strangest anime I have watched lately. Strange, but somehow I'm curious.

The plot started usual, but then weird things came in and made the whole series into something so.... strange. The artwork is great, in my opinion; unique, simple, yet cute. And the way things are colored is nice as well. The soundtracks are not that impressive (especially that Survival Strategy song ^^") but not that much problem for me.

Until episode 3 I've seen, there was nothing much except the relation of the characters and their secrets were brought up one by one. I'm looking forward to know more of the complications in the brothers' journey to save their beloved sister.

P.S.: Kanda is one cute boy, okay, though he is not so charming when he tried to be. =___=

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

No one else watch this show?

The latest episode. episode 19, surprised me quite much. Now we know the answer behind the question of where Kanba got the money for their lives. I don't think he is working part time; I bet everything came from that money. He seems to get it regularly as well. I'm still unsure about the plans the parents have. Is it the same with that pink-haired man, or not? Is it the same with that Kanba's admirer, or not?

And that thing with fruit of fate, OMG. I do not understand the further complication, though. @__@

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait for the last few episodes of MwP. Shouma, Kanba and Himari were not biologically siblings though I really like how they value each one just like a family. On the last scene, it seems they all seperated ways for the reason of protecting each other but Himari went after Kanba to stop him from something. Though I hope before the anime ends, I do get what was the penguindrum they want to obtain 'cause i think its not Momoka's diary alone.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by <.Haruka.> View Post
    Though I hope before the anime ends, I do get what was the penguindrum they want to obtain 'cause i think its not Momoka's diary alone.
    It's been stated by the Penguin hat that the diary is not the Penguin drum they need to obtain. However, one thing I begin to think about regarding the Penguin drum is that the hat is hiding what it is... At first I thought it could be a train or something whichever grants the fate transference if the conditions of the diary are fulfilled but why show strong hesitation about what the Penguin Drum is and just insist on acquiring it? It might actually be something that will arise from one of the transfers done via the diary but we still do not know how fate transference exactly occurs, only Yuri and Tabuki know.

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Shouma, Kanba and Himari were not biologically siblings though I really like how they value each one just like a family. On the last scene, it seems they all seperated ways for the reason of protecting each other but Himari went after Kanba to stop him from something.
    I agree. It is admiring how they care about each other despite how not connected they are towards each other; that is what love for you, I guess. ^^ Though that love also causes problems~ I kind of wondering if what Sho-chan has for Himari is actually the romantical love, or is it only the usual sibling love? Since I think Kan-chan has it in romantical way...

Himari is planning to stop Kanba from doing whatever he is planning to. And what Kanba is planning to do must be more or less like what Sanetoshi wants, which is about wiping the evil off of the face of earth for good. >__<

Quote Originally Posted by Hamy View Post
    It's been stated by the Penguin hat that the diary is not the Penguin drum they need to obtain. However, one thing I begin to think about regarding the Penguin drum is that the hat is hiding what it is... At first I thought it could be a train or something whichever grants the fate transference if the conditions of the diary are fulfilled but why show strong hesitation about what the Penguin Drum is and just insist on acquiring it? It might actually be something that will arise from one of the transfers done via the diary but we still do not know how fate transference exactly occurs, only Yuri and Tabuki know.
    That is possible. Sometimes I even think that the Penguin Drum might be something that doesn't exist at all; since the hat itself seems to be hesitating to answer questions regarding it... I don't know. XD

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

It's like I predicted when I was talking to Phio_chan at irc indeed Natsume, Tabuki & Yuri's roles are finished in the anime - they've received their resolutions. Now it just leaves up with the siblings and the Penguin hat. I have a feeling Natsume left her half of the diary with Kanba and Ringo now carrying the one Yuri stole will probably give hers to Shouma. Course my issue here is that nobody actually knows how to use the spell behind the diary, except Yuri & Tabuki unless they decided to explain it or something, given that Momoka seems to use it quite freely when she changes someones fate. Last 2 episodes~ Can't wait given how great this episode was.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Yuri had received her resolution first, I suppose; now Tabuki had finally found his and shared it with Yuri, thus bringing both of them to a different level than before. I thought Tabuki was going to die. :| Barely saved, I suppose.

I didn't see why Yuri would give the diary to Ringo back again; there was this feeling that Yuri still wanted to bring Momoka back, but she was no longer as eager as before. Then again she would have to explain how to use the diary to Ringo... The most probable reason I can think right now is that she wanted Ringo to be able to change her own fate and save the person she likes, unlike them. :3

Poor Masako. Died in such graceful manner, huh, protecting her brother.

I truly wonder what would happen now. I think Sho-chan will look for Kan-chan hoping that he would find Himari, Kan-chan is severely injured, and Himari may lose her life already now. So complicated. XD

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Yuri had received her resolution first, I suppose; now Tabuki had finally found his and shared it with Yuri, thus bringing both of them to a different level than before. I thought Tabuki was going to die. :| Barely saved, I suppose.

I didn't see why Yuri would give the diary to Ringo back again; there was this feeling that Yuri still wanted to bring Momoka back, but she was no longer as eager as before. Then again she would have to explain how to use the diary to Ringo... The most probable reason I can think right now is that she wanted Ringo to be able to change her own fate and save the person she likes, unlike them. :3
    You'll have to recall the difference in views about Momoka that Yuri and Tabuki have. Yuri firmly believed that Momoka was still alive and just somewhere inaccesible which the diary could fix, believing her situation to be the price she paid from minimizing the damage done by the bombings. Tabuki accepts Momoka is dead and simply wants to find justice for her by having the Takakura parents pay for it, he was probably enticed by the thought of having Momoka return but did believe she was dead. Given that Yuri does want to start a real family with Tabuki rather than her initial plan of being a family with Momoka - Tabuki would also constitute it but relatively minor from the way she made it sound its clear they wanted to hog Momoka for themselves and share it only among themselves - I'd say she's in the same boat at Tabuki in realizing Momomka is dead and it probably is just better to let her lay there, especially since the cost of which will be Ringo. So what better way to appreciate happiness than to be a family with Tabuki, they both cherish Momoka that is a start and they're both kids who just wanted love.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 23 is here. My goodness, so close. >__<

One surprising thing. It looks like what inside the hat is actually Momoka's soul, maybe because the incomplete fate transfer on that day she wanted to kill Sanetoshi. I also think that Sanetoshi's soul is in the black bunnies, somehow. He is a ghost, after all; his body is not real, but his soul probably is.

I truly can't wait to see what will happen. Himari's life is so much near the end, and they still need the penguin drum...

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

The end of the story was quite bitter-sweet.
    I didn't expect that Shoma and Kanba would died at the end rather than Himari, but i'm glad the two brothers seemed to have a new beginning. (..although it was quite sad when Himari saw the small note left by his brothers on the ragged teddy bear)
    So the apple was the symbol of the characters fate & life. I really enjoyed watching this series although there's some things unexplained imo, like Momoka's case. I hope there's still even an extra episode (even though it wouldn't likely to happen) like a scene what happens with them after the changed fate.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed watching this series although there's some things unexplained imo, like Momoka's case. I hope there's still even an extra episode (even though it wouldn't likely to happen) like a scene what happens with them after the changed fate.
    What about Momoka's case? Are you asking about how she learned or was given the right to transfer fate? If so I think the problem with such is that it would kind of counteract the idea behind her and Sanetoshi being these enigmatic omniscient beings who have been pulling things behind the scenes, as it would make Momoka appear 'normal'. Especially when you consider that by this episode both her and Sanetoshi did manipulate the Takakura siblings - both used Himari's life as a prize - but it was because only they could continue what their parents had started in the past. Only difference is one offers Himari's life for the cost of many and the other for the cost of 2 lives close to her. Case and point of this as well is Natsume, she was chosen because of her links to the terrorism but in the end she didn't choose Sanetoshi's method but wanted Momoka's.

One thing I would wonder is why didn't she immediately mention that the Penguindrum was their lives and kept alluding to the diary? My only guess is that the Penguindrum could only be transferred during a fate transference sequence. More importantly as I said earlier Momoka clearly wants the Takakura siblings to end the terrorism from the past and already anticipated Sanetoshi's move since Kanba looks to have been the problematic element - imagine him killing off Shouma XD. Probably as well Momoka wanting to help as much people as she could, i.e. Ringo, Yuri, Tabuki, and Natsume.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, it has ended. I'm amazed that I managed to watch this series until the end since even until now, if I ask myself again, I'm still mostly confused about what the plot actually is. :P

I wonder about something, though. Did Kanba and Shoma pay the price for Himari and Ringo's life to Momoka? As in transferring their lives to them, or something else? They managed to be reborn somehow, though, so that's why I'm confused. XD

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast