Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 756 by cnet128 , Bleach 592 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Art Contest Revamp Discussion

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner renanamara's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Art Contest Revamp Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Personally I think being divided based on color is a good idea and that we can keep it. As far as I'm concerned, coloring takes more time and technique, so in particular point of view it may viewed as more "advanced" than only black-and-white. I might be wrong though.
    I agree, colored art need more time, and have bigger chance of winning... I like the way it's now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukisama View Post
    You're right about the difficulty in creating a division for amateurs and more advanced artists. If we did keep the division, I think it would have to be somehow based upon what Vinty said about making previous winners only compete in the advanced category with some more stipulations concerning MH Artists and such (perhaps based on some demonstration of techniques like phio_chan suggested).

It clearly would be much simpler to just get rid of this division though and majority of the opinions expressed in the thread so far have been in favor of doing just that, but if this revamp discussion yields sufficient support for keeping the division, it will remain.
    Well, I liked some ideas about the coloring contests, I think that with this formula everything will be OK (I think that this is the best way to make the two contests).

Division A (advanced coloring)
    - Free! Anybody can participate on this contest.

Division B (Amateur Coloring)
    - Anybody can participate, but the winners will be automatically promoted to "Division A", and will not be able to participate in "Division B" again.

I liked it, for me this way is OK. The problem is, after some time is possible that there will be no more people to participate in the "Division B".
    (if that time comes, so it's time to make just one Color Contest, hehe...)

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Sure, doing it monthly would be great. I wonder if it would be enough time for participants who would like to submit more complicated writing, but personally I agree with doing it monthly. As for competition between the winners in the seasonal contest, my question would be: is it fair for different kinds of writing to join the same competition? Let's take it the worst scenario possible I can think of the moment: a short poem versus a fanfic with around 1000 words. I am not very keen of such divisions in writing, but doesn't it feel that somehow the level of difficulty between each writing is different? Maybe this is just my personal sentiment, though.
    Very true.

To me, I can look at different types of literature and judge their merits with respect to what they are, but I can also understand how that might be difficult for others. I guess it is something more to consider. Let's keep thinking on this!

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukisama View Post
    To me, I can look at different types of literature and judge their merits with respect to what they are, but I can also understand how that might be difficult for others. I guess it is something more to consider. Let's keep thinking on this!
    Personally I can do like you as well, but I'm just worried about my question back then. ^^" I've also just realized that the same problem would occur on free writing contest too, since the type of the writings would be different. XD

Okay, for the seasonal art contest, I have two ideas:

Idea 1
    We choose one format only to compete on the seasonal art contest. For example, we choose poem. So for the seasonal art contest, all writings in poem would enter the seasonal art contest, even if there is/are (a) poem which has won the previous round. This would solve the problem with the type of the writing. The works which are not selected to compete in this seasonal art contest would be kept and we would re-enter them on the next seasonal art contest, if they match the required format of the seasonal art contest, that is.

That idea is weak because it would be unfair to works which can't be submitted to the seasonal art contest. They would have to wait for another season, and wait even longer if the next seasonal art contest's theme doesn't match the works. And the number of competitors would raise as well, so the contest would get even harder as time pass by. We can limit it later though, so that only entries from specific time could enter the seasonal art contest.

...Or, you allow creative writing section on seasonal art contest to have sub-categories. I think it's going to be easier to make a diagram out of this, as an example, which would be my second idea.

Idea 2
    Seasonal Art Contest #35: Summer 2012
    1. Signature Contest
    2. Black & White Contest
    3. Original Art Contest
    4. Coloring Art Contest
    5. Creative Writing Contest
    --- 5a. Category: Poem
    --- 5b. Category: Fan-fiction
    --- 5c. Category: xxxx
    and so on.

For the kind of sub-categories for the creative writing contest, we can take three categories which has the most submissions, for example. You can change it the way you want. The weakness for this type of contest... I think it would be the number of submissions. Because this is a new type of contest and because writing takes a lot of time, we might not be able to get lots of entries.

I hope I explained them clear enough. The ideas just randomly popped out on my head after all, so I'm sorry if I confuse you. >__< Feel free to add your opinions in!

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

So I was kinda wanting to enter a contest but I saw they were on break for now. Well about the Original category for both black and white I think there a few good points and a few bad ones.

Good points:

Usually these categories lack entries so joining both would raise the competition.
    (can't think of anymore even though I've said a few )

Bad Points:

This isn't exactly true it depends on the artist and the piece but black and white has some disadvantages when faced with colored But of course a really good artist could win with a black and white piece but the level of the piece will have to be really high.

Some people like to enter both categories separately.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2