Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MattC302's Manga Recommendation Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

MattC302's Manga Recommendation Thread

I'm really not good at putting my thoughts into words, but I still feel obligated to let you know some of the mangas that I think are must reads. If you aren't moved by my words of recommendation, I urge you to just take a chance and read these mangas. You will not regret it.

Planetes
    Genre: Sci-Fi, drama
    Demographic: Seinen
    Serialized In: Morning
    Number of Volumes: 4
    Scanlated Chapters: 26
    Status In Japan: Complete

This is one of my all time favorite series. It is a hard science fiction story with great characters. It has really good art and is very well researched. I love how short and sweet it is. Do yourself a favor and invest a few hours of your time to read the 26 chapters. This series won the 2002 Seiun award for best manga.

Spoiler: Summary show

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
    Genre: Sci-Fi, Slice of Life
    Serialized In: Afternoon
    Number of Volumes: 14
    Scanlated Chapters: 141

This is probably the best slice of life manga I have ever read. It was a privilege to be able to read this wonderful manga. The art is beautiful. The characters are charming. The story has a relaxing/calming affect that I really appreciated. Go read this manga now, and prepare to bump a series off your top 10 list. I think it is worth mentioning that this series won the 2007 Seiun award for best manga.

---------- Post added August 02, 2011 at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was July 14, 2011 at 01:36 AM ----------

Eden: It's An Endless World!
    Genre: Action, Psychological, Sci-Fi, Tragedy
    Serialized In: Afternoon
    Number of Volumes: 18
    Scanlated Chapters: 126

I don't even know where to start when recommending this series. It's got everything a sci-fi fan could want. The action is superb. Hacking battles, sniper battles, cyborg fights, etc.. It's simply incredible. Amazing characters and relationships. Great, realistic art that goes well with the story. It would be easier to list the faults, which you would have to nitpick to find IMO. There's just one thing though. This manga is incredibly disturbing. The violence is so intense and realistic that the shock never wears off like it does for series like Gantz. There is child rape, drug abuse, and graphic sex scenes. If this manga doesn't have some sort of psychological effect on you, you must not have been paying attention. I'm not joking when I say that I am emotionally drained and maybe a little scarred from reading this manga. That being said, I am so glad that I read it because it was awesome. You've been warned though. If you aren't a mentally stable adult, I would skip this one.

Last edited by MattC302; September 27, 2011 at 02:49 PM.

2. Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MattC302's Manga Recommendation Thread

This question might sound a bit stupid,but would you recommend Eden:It's an endless World to me?I don't really mind disturbing manga and i'm not easily shocked,but i think you were serious when saying "If you aren't a mentally stable adult, I would skip this one."

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    This question might sound a bit stupid,but would you recommend Eden:It's an endless World to me?I don't really mind disturbing manga and i'm not easily shocked,but i think you were serious when saying "If you aren't a mentally stable adult, I would skip this one."
    I'm not easily shocked or disturbed either. I have read the graphic and gorey Gantz and Berserk, as well as the twisted works of Furuya Usamaru, Matsumoto Jiro, and Kago Shintaro. Eden isn't necessarily more violent or graphic than any of these, but it's the way that violence and such is delivered. It has a realism to it that is kind of scary and some of the issues this manga deals with are very human and can hit close to home even if you haven't necessarily dealt with that exact situation. It's hard to explain why I found this manga so disturbing. You may have a different experience and find it tame. I was dead serious in my warning though. That being said, this manga is absolutely incredible and in my opinion, it is worth the risk of any psychological trauma it might cause you. Give it a shot. If you come across something that bothers you, you can always stop.

Maybe I am being overly dramatic, but there are many scenes in this manga that will stick with me for the rest of my life. I will never forget it. I do not regret for one second reading this manga though. It is incredible.

I consider myself to have very good taste in manga. I do realize how diverse the manga reading community's tastes and opinions are, and I am very open to different opinions, but I cannot fathom how anyone wouldn't like this manga.

tl;dr version: Yes, I highly recommend this manga to you. More people should read this manga so I am willing to risk damaging your psyche to gain another fan Besides, you are probably not as mentally fragile as me. You can handle it. Go read and then come back and tell me how much you love Eden

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

A seinen which actually knows how to use violence...i'd be eager to read this. Only one question, is the scanlation completed?

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

Btw, i've read jiro's freesia and loved it...but haven't read anything of shintaro or usamaru. Any suggestions about those two?

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashher View Post
    A seinen which actually knows how to use violence...i'd be eager to read this. Only one question, is the scanlation completed?
    If you are talking about Eden: It's An Endless World!, then yes, the scanlations are complete and high quality.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

Quote Quote:
    Btw, i've read jiro's freesia and loved it...but haven't read anything of shintaro or usamaru. Any suggestions about those two?
    From Furuya Usamara, try Palepoli or Plastic Girl.

From Kago Shintaro, try Abstraction.

A little heads up though: These aren't normal manga. They are so disgusting and twisted and bizarre, that you will probably hate me for mentioning them. I read these purely out of sheer curiosity for their weirdness, not because they are "good". I only mentioned them in my post about Eden in the context of not being easily shocked/disturbed because of reading manga like the 3 mentioned.
    Last edited by MattC302; August 12, 2011 at 10:55 PM.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    From Furuya Usamara, try Palepoli or Plastic Girl.

From Kago Shintaro, try Abstraction.

A little heads up though: These aren't normal manga. They are so disgusting and twisted and bizarre, that you will probably hate me for mentioning them. I read these purely out of sheer curiosity for their weirdness, not because they are "good". I only mentioned them in my post about Eden in the context of not being easily shocked/disturbed because of reading manga like the 3 mentioned.
    Funny how you actually mentioned those manga i already read.I can only agree with you,they are bizarre and weird,but also very interesting and intriguing in a way.I love how he used that 3D effect in Abstraction.Palepoli was fascinating as well.It had some of my favourite manga pages.Plastic Girl on the other hand is only disturbing....
    In my eyes,Abstraction and Palepoli are almost must-reads.If you can endure this abnormality that is.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not as disturbing IMO...but the realism of it is really deep and well presented...I think it's more like the plot twists are a bit shocking actually...and the end message is just brilliant...I recommend it to everyone who likes engaging manga, both intellectually and emotionally...
    Spoiler: Don't click until you've read the entire manga........seriously show

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

The discussion thread is here btw...I can't believe such a classic evaded me for this long...I would certainly like to talk about this manga

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually saw eden on spectrum nexus quite a long time ago, but they labeled it as of ongoing status, which is why i didn't start. But they often mess up the status, and now that mat has assured us that scanlations are completed, i can finally read it

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Sci-Fi and they all sound very interesting, but I'm a bit hesitant as they're Seinen with more hardcore violence/etc in them, which I don't personally enjoy much. But, maybe I'll take a look at them, if/when I can find time to do so.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    I love Sci-Fi and they all sound very interesting, but I'm a bit hesitant as they're Seinen with more hardcore violence/etc in them, which I don't personally enjoy much. But, maybe I'll take a look at them, if/when I can find time to do so.
    The only one of my recommendations that are violent is Eden:It's An Endless World!. Planetes has one or two scenes with minor violence, but it isn't graphic. YKK is the exact opposite of violence. In fact, I used to read it in between chapters of Berserk to cleanse my mind of the violent/graphic scenes.

---------- Post added August 24, 2011 at 02:44 AM ---------- Previous post was August 16, 2011 at 05:23 PM ----------

Emma/Emma Further Tales
    Genre: Drama, Romance, Slice-of-life
    Serialized In: Comic Beam
    Number of Volumes: 10
    Scanlated Chapters: 72

This is a great slice-of-life story with a very satisfying romance element and anyone familiar with Mori Kaoru's other work, Otoyomegatari(A Bride's Story), knows that she is an amazing artist. I just love the characters in this manga. Even the side characters are amazing. Characters that don't even have any lines stand out with their expressions alone. Also, the relationships and character interactions are very well done. All I can really say is that if you like slice-of-life, romance, or maids, you will like Emma. Be sure to read Emma Further Tales for proper closure.

---------- Post added August 27, 2011 at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was August 24, 2011 at 02:44 AM ----------

Hourou Musuko(Wandering Son)
    Genre: Drama, gender bender, romance, school life
    Serialized In: Comic Beam
    Number of Volumes: 12
    Scanlated Chapters: 100
    Status In Japan: Ongoing

Normally, I wouldn't recommend an ongoing manga here in fear that it would turn to crap and ruin my recommendation credibility lol. This manga is an exception though. Even if the story does turn to crap, what has been published so far has been so rewarding to read, that I don't hesitate for a second to write this recommendation.

At first, I didn't think the gender identity subject matter would be my thing, though I quickly found it to be fascinating. This manga is is a very relatable and realistic take on school life. I'm sure that even if you didn't go through the exact situations, that you can still relate to the awkward teenage years.

Wandering Son has a great cast of (mostly)likeable characters, a simple yet pleasant and distinctive art style, and an engaging, leisurely paced storyline covering fascinating topics like gender identity. Give this manga a try if you like school life, but are looking for something a little different from the norm.

Last edited by MattC302; September 27, 2011 at 02:47 PM.

14. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Sakuranbo Syndrome
    Genre: Drama, Romance, Comedy
    Serialized In: Young Sunday
    Number of Volumes: 11
    Scanlated Chapters: 48

Wow. Just wow. What we have here is a romantic comedy for the adult manga reader. We are talking about some seriously well developed relationships here. The "love triangle" is nothing new to manga or any medium, but I guarantee this manga has the most fascinating love triangle you will read in any manga. It's just great. Also, the art style is extremely visually appealing IMO. Definitely go check this out.

Last edited by MattC302; September 27, 2011 at 02:44 PM.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Cross Game
    Genre: Drama, Romance, Comedy, Sports
    Demographic: Shonen
    Serialized In: Shonen Sunday
    Number of Volumes: 17
    Scanlated Chapters: 170

Mitsuru Adachi. That is all.....Just kidding. I have a little more to say, though that should be enough to get you to read this manga. Anyway, Cross Game is an amazing manga. It's got good comedy, entertaining baseball games, and most importantly, an incredibly written relationship. Aoba and Ko's interactions are just perfect. It's fantastic.

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

Biomega
    Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-fi
    Serialized In: Ultra Jump
    Number of Volumes: 6
    Scanlated Chapters: 42

This manga was a pleasant surprise for me. I borrowed it from the library not expecting to be wowed by it. The art is great. It creates a great atmosphere and vibe and has wonderfully creative and scary character designs. The plot, I admit, was a bit hard to follow in a few place, though I suspect that would be different if I took Kaiten's advice and read Nihei's works in the order he suggested. I think I would know his "mind' and style better and would be able to make sense of the things I didn't get. But the things I didn't get is also oddly a positive aspect to this manga. There is a sense of "openness" that I think would normally be a bad thing, but for some reason it is not here. It just makes me more curious and want to read more of Nihei's work. Anyway, this series is kind of like Nausicaa mixed with Akira and maybe a little Resident Evil and Hellraiser. If that sounds interesting to you, check out this manga.

---------- Post added February 18, 2012 at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was January 29, 2012 at 07:56 AM ----------

Princess Knight
    Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Gender Bender
    Demographic: Shoujo
    Serialized In: Shoujo Club
    Number of Volumes: 3
    Scanlated Chapters: 27

Princess Knight was surprisingly good. This being a shoujo manga from the 1950's, I didn't think myself, a 26 year old man, would like it. I am really glad I took a chance on it though because it was thoroughly enjoyable. The story is in the same spirit as the old Disney princess movies like Cinderella, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty, but with Tezuka's own twist, distinct art style and brand of humor. The humor is an especially strong point. I never really thought I would like Tezuka's art style, but it grew on me with this manga. It invokes my love for old Tex Avery cartoons. Anyway, I would recommend this manga as a great intro to the shoujo demographic. Especially for men who normally wouldn't read shoujo manga.

---------- Post added March 13, 2012 at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was February 18, 2012 at 09:27 AM ----------

Hikaru no Go
    Genre: Sports, Slice of Life, Drama
    Demographic: Shonen
    Serialized In: Weekly Shonen Jump
    Number of Volumes: 23
    Scanlated Chapters: 197

I can't recommend this series enough. I never though I would like a series about a board game as much as I did. It was so good. The world of professional Go is just a backdrop for the characters. Though the Go matches were just about as exciting as reading about a Go match can be, the well developed characters are what makes this manga shine. There is a fairly large cast of characters and not just the main character gets attention. Yumi Hotta did a good job of exploring them all and showing us bits of the Go world through them. Then there's the art. I've read Bakuman. I've browsed Death Note. But never until now have I noticed Takeshi Obata's masterful art skills. I always see people say that Tite Kubo's Bleach has the best weekly shonen manga art, but they must not have read Hikaru no Go. Obata did an incredible job with this manga and while maybe not as creative a style as Bakuman, the technical level of art is on a much higher level. One of my favorite things about the art in this manga is that pretty much every character has very distinct facial features. Even some of the best artists from my favorite manga fall victim of their style and end up having some characters with "samey" faces. Obata did not have this problem. Even side characters and background characters have a unique look. This is something you probably don't notice when you are caught up in the story, but it impressed me. Also worth noting, this manga won the Shogakukan Manga Award and the Osamu Tezuka Cultural Prize. Anyway, do you like Takeshi Obata's art work? Do you like the board game Go? Do you like sports manga? If you answered yes to any of those questions, you will like this manga.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about go and don't really like sport manga but I loved Hikaru no Go anyway :-)

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually tempted to read it now.As the hype was immense,I thought of checking it out,but it never really seemed like a must-read for me.But the way you described it caught my interest.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I don't know anything about go and don't really like sport manga but I loved Hikaru no Go anyway :-)
    There is a lot to like about it. Particularly the characters.

I'm actually tempted to read it now.As the hype was immense,I thought of checking it out,but it never really seemed like a must-read for me.But the way you described it caught my interest.
    It was never a must read for me either. I've known about it for a long time, but I never really gave it a second thought until I saw that my library had all the volumes. I'm glad I gave it a shot though, because it is a very rewarding read.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast