Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MattC302's Manga Recommendation Thread

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MattC302's Manga Recommendation Thread

Funny, I read the first chapter of Haikyuu! yesterday and I thought it was not really original. Now that I think about it, the clumsy newbie guy with a great gift competing against the genius guy, where I have read that... :-)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooku:The Inner Chambers
    Genre: Drama, Historical, Romance
    Demographic: Josei
    Serialized In: Melody
    Number of Volumes: 7
    Scanlated Chapters: 14
    Status In Japan: Ongoing

Here we have a manga that completely blew away my expectations. This is my first Josei manga, and based on the premise, I was expecting it to be just some woman's fantasy of ruling over men. I couldn't have been more wrong. I think this manga, even though it is seemingly written with women in mind, could be especially appreciated by men because it shows a perspective that I don't think most men would think of. I'm finding it hard for me to explain exactly why I find this manga appealing without going into spoiling details, but just know, that this manga has been fascinating for me. It's got romance elements as well as behind the scenes political battles. It's a very good read. I highly recommend it for pretty much any adult to try. Especially to those who are historical fiction fans. I think it's worth noting that this manga won the Osamu Tezuka Cultural Prize.

Spoiler: Summary show
    Last edited by MattC302; March 20, 2012 at 08:58 PM.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Gon
    Genre: Adventure, Comedy
    Demographic: Seinen
    Serialized In: Weekly Morning
    Number of Volumes: 7
    Scanlated Chapters: ?
    Status In Japan: Complete

Here we have the very first textless manga I have tried or even heard of. There isn't a single word of dialogue in the entire manga. That's because it is a manga that features only animals. The main character is a crazy, little dinosaur named Gon. He is about 2 feet tall, but his spirit is as tall as a mountain. Don't let is stature fool you. He is a boss. The manga is about Gon going around the world and doing whatever the hell he wants. He gets in all kinds of trouble, has all kinds of fun, and interacts with all sorts of animals. One of the great things about this manga is how easy it is to "read". I put "read" in quotes because you don't actually read any words since it is textless, but you do interpret the pictures. The mangaka did a really good job at making the animals very expressive. You don't need The animals to tell you how they are feeling, because you can see it on their face and in their actions. Another great thing about this manga is the wonderfully detailed art. It is fantastic. It has a realistic style for the most part, that I think anyone can enjoy. The nature/wilderness scenes are magnificently done. This manga is only 7 volumes long, and as I said, it is easy to read. If you like adventure and comedy manga, do yourself a favor and check this manga out.

---------- Post added April 14, 2012 at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was April 13, 2012 at 09:18 PM ----------

Disappearance Diary
    Genre: Comedy, Drama, Slice-of-life
    Serialized In: N/A
    Number of Volumes: 1
    Scanlated Chapters: 0

I bought this book pretty much on a whim just because it was one volume long and wouldn't hurt my wallet too bad. I really got lucky finding such a good story. It is a fascinating look into 3 slices of the mangaka's life, dealing with homelessness, depression/anxiety, the manga industry, and alcoholism. It has an old school, cartoony art style that I would describe as a mix between Tezuka and Adachi's styles. I can see a lot of people disliking this type of art, but it was done with way on purpose to make light of a tough situation, and it works.

There isn't a whole lot of in depth dialogue between characters. Most of the time, it is the mangaka narrating and describing to the reader the weird people he meets, how he feels in certain situations etc.. This reads very smoothly and is a little different than what I am used to. I've never really read a manga autobiography before as far as I know.

Though being about some pretty dark times in the mangaka's life, it is told in a way that can be very funny and entertaining, while still being relatable.

I think it's worth noting that this manga won an Osamu Tezuka Cultural Prize, and a Japan Media Arts Award.

There are no scans of this manga, but if you can spare $10, head on over to Amazon and order this manga. I think you will be pleased with what you read and it is probably a little different from what you are used to reading.

---------- Post added May 08, 2012 at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was April 14, 2012 at 09:06 PM ----------

A Zoo In Winter
    Genre: Drama, Slice-of-life
    Serialized In: Big Comic
    Number of Volumes: 1
    Scanlated Chapters: 0

This single volume story by Jiro Taniguchi really blew me away. It's a semi-autobiographical slice-of-life about the author's introduction to the manga industry, the people he meets, and the relationship that inspires him. A realistic story, it isn't exciting or melodramatic, but it was still a real page turner and something that I think people can really connect with and relate to.

One of my favorite parts of the book was the portion where the main character develops a romantic relationship with a sickly girl he was initially forced to spend time with. While I wouldn't call this book a romance, this featured relationship is one of the most natural and sweetest romances I have encountered in manga.

The art style is sem-realistic, and it really fits the story. At first, I thought it was a little stiff, but I quickly grew to love the style(I had a similar experience when first encountering Naoki Urasawa's art). The characters faces are very expressive and thoughtful. They convey real emotion that push the story along just as much as the dialogue.

There is no way I could recommend this book enough and my words do it no justice. With this one story, I have become a fan of Jiro Taniguchi. I plan on reading all of his licensed work and rereading this book many more times.

Last edited by MattC302; April 14, 2012 at 02:04 PM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Once you have tried Taniguchi it is hard to stop :-)
    Plus he is good in every genre although I tend to prefer is slice of life manga. Zoo in winter was a really nice story.
    btw have you read some of Fumiyo Kouno works, I'm pretty sure she is an author you would really love.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Once you have tried Taniguchi it is hard to stop :-)
    Plus he is good in every genre although I tend to prefer is slice of life manga. Zoo in winter was a really nice story.
    btw have you read some of Fumiyo Kouno works, I'm pretty sure she is an author you would really love.
    I have only read The Town of Evening Calm; The Country of Cherry Blossoms, and I really liked it. I would like to read more of her work, but I believe this is the only one printed in English or scanlated. I think one other book by her is available through JManga, but I'm not a fan of that service.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Zoo in Winter was pretty great. I've been lucky that they published a bunch of Taniguchi's books in Dutch; among which My Father's Journal, Hareyuki Sora, and Distant Neighbourhood.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of topic, are the books/comics published in Belgium in both French and Dutch or is it completely independant ?

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm reading Gon, to see if I can read it with my little daughter. It says it's not recommended for people with IC higher than a child 8 years old's, but she is 5. Possibly I'll give her a chance with this.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2